Thread: RW Thalia Prison

RW Thalia Prison

In modern there is no Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Ancient Tomb, nor City of Traitors. It is, however, a slower developing game, thus Thalia strategies have always been present. I want to port some of the Prison style of the Thalia Stompy deck in Legacy to the Modern format, which is proving to be quite difficult. But seeing how Sun and Moon deck is performing now (RW Stax feat eslpeth SUN's champion and blood MOON), I was thinking how far fetched could it be to cut the Nahiri package and go more prison style:

Stuff
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Boros Signet
    4x Lightning Helix
    1x Heart of Kiran
    2x Warping Wail
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4x Vryn Wingmare
    2x Timely Reinforcements
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Oblivion Ring
    2x Ajani Vengeant
    2x Dismember

Lands
    4x Inspiring Vantage
    4x Sacred Foundry
    2x Rugged Prairie
    2x Clifftop Retreat
    2x Cavern of Souls
    7x Plains

Sideboard:
    4x Rest in Peace
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Ghostly Prison
    4x Leyline of Sanctity
    2x Wrath of God

Any Thalia fans want to help contribute to this cause?
    "Ach! Hans, run! It's the Lhurgoat!"

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: RW Thalia Prison

I'm a fan of using Smuggler's Copter in decks like this now. Looting is extremely useful after you already have a specific lock piece in place, and vehicles are great for not killing off your hatebears while you add a clock. I'd probably run 4 and cut 2x timeley reinforcement, 1x thalia heretic and the other vehicle.

I've been trying to make a red/white prison-type deck work but use Madcap Experiment so it's going to be a lot different. I really do like Nahiri, though, and don't think I'd want to cut her. She's just a really good planeswalker all around and can randomly win games very easily.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I don't know that I have much to contribute regarding this specific deck, but I will say that I continue to be a fan of both Thalias in Modern. I've had a mono white Death and Taxes list that has barely changed over the last few years and it always just feels solid. It's one of those decks that doesn't necessarily blow out anything, but seems to have a fair matchup against everything. Leonin Arbiter is just nutty and I'm surprised we don't see it more often in the format. Taxing search effects in combination with Thalia, Heretic Cathar just destroys so many decks with an average fetchland draw.

I think this deck would need Ensaring Bridges to really work, I am keen to test this on XMage if anyone is keen on seeing the potential. Please PM if you want to test

This deck popped out in MTGO https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/562160

It's pretty similar although it's more aggressive, dropped red entirely and it's pulling results, the user has gone 5-0 at least 2 more times (although it's not in the website, so probably friendly leagues or not updated yet).

Deck seems very interesting, hope people give some attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmogoat View Post
    Unless I over looked something only 4 lands can cast warping wail and all 4 are affected by your 4 blood moon.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

This deck has become a thing, I think. It's a really cool take on the prison decks since it includes cycling removal cards, allowing you to have board sweepers maindeck while not completely losing with them against decks that don't have a lot of small creatures.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15886&d=297572&f=MO

Thread Information