Thread: Tooth and nail + xenagos

Dec 2011
    MA

Tooth and nail + xenagos

Before I do this at an event I just wanted to make sure I can fetch up that RG God and an Emrakul and put them into play off of tooth and nail when my devotion is less than whatever. It's still considered a creature until it hits play right?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Re: Tooth and nail + xenagos

Yup he's a creature in every zone (except battlefield obviously) regardless of devotion.

EDIT- Here are the rules concerning all the gods.

* The type-changing ability that can make the God not be a creature functions only on the battlefield. It’s always a creature card in other zones, regardless of your devotion to its color.

* If a God enters the battlefield, your devotion to its color (including the mana symbols in the mana cost of the God itself) will determine if a creature entered the battlefield or not, for abilities that trigger whenever a creature enters the battlefield.

* If a God stops being a creature, it loses the type creature and all creature subtypes. It continues to be a legendary enchantment.

* The abilities of Gods function as long as they’re on the battlefield regardless of whether they’re creatures.

* If a God is attacking or blocking and it stops being a creature, it will be removed from combat.

* If a God is dealt damage, then stops being a creature, then becomes a creature again later in the same turn, the damage will still be marked on it. This is also true for any effects that were affecting the God when it was originally a creature. (Note that in most cases, the damage marked on the God won’t matter because it has indestructible.)
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

On a kind of similar note, if I have Kor Spiritdancer in play and I cast Flitterstep Eidolon for its Bestow cost it would trigger Spiritdancer's ability. However if I cast Eidolon as a creature it would not. Is that correct?

Follow up, if I have Tallowisp in play and I cast a Spirit spell, triggering its ability, would I be able to search for Flitterstep Eidolon in my library?
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

The first paragraph is correct. Your second question doesn't work.

702.102. Bestow

702.102a Bestow represents two static abilities, one that functions while the card with bestow is on the stack, and another that functions both while it's on the stack & while it's on the battlefield. "Bestow [cost]" means you may cast this card by paying [cost] rather than its mana cost." and "If you chose to pay this spell's bestow cost it becomes an Aura enchantment and gains enchant creature. These effects last until one of two things happens: the spell has an illegal target as it resolves or the permanent this spell becomes, becomes unattached." Paying a creatures bestow cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

702.102b If a spell's controller chooses to pay its bestow cost, that player chooses a legal target for that Aura as defined by its enchant creature ability and rule 601.2c. See also rule 303.4.

702.102c A spell's controller can't choose to pay its bestow cost unless that player can choose a legal target for that spell after it becomes an Aura spell.

702.102d As an Aura spell with bestow begins resolving, if its target is illegal, the effect making it an Aura spell ends. It continues resolving as a creature spell and will be put onto the battlefield under the control of the spells controller. This is an exception to rule 608.3a.

You don't choose whether the spell is going to be an Aura spell or not until the spell is already on the stack. Abilities that affect when you can cast a spell, such as flash, will apply to the creature card in whatever zone you're casting it from. For example, an effect that said you can cast creatures as though they have flash will allow you to cast a creature card with bestow as an Aura spell anytime you could cast an instant.

On the stack, a spell with bestow is either a creature spell or an Aura spell. It's never both.

Unlike other Aura spells, an Aura spell with bestow isn't countered if it's target is illegal as it begins to resolve. Rather, the effect making it an Aura spell ends, it loses enchant creature, it returns to being an enchantment creature spell, and it resolves and enters the battlefield as an enchantment creature.

Unlike other Auras, an Aura with bestow isn't put into its owner's graveyard if it becomes unattached. Rather, the effect making it an Aura ends, it loses enchant creature, and it remains on the battlefield as an enchantment creature. It can attack (and its tap abilities can be activated, if it has any) on the turn it becomes unattached if it's been under your control continuously, even as an Aura, since your most recent turn began.

If a permanent with bestow enters the battlefield by any method other than being cast, it will be an enchantment creature. You can't choose to pay the bestow cost and have it become an Aura.

Auras attached to a creature don't become tapped when the creature becomes tapped. Except in some rare cases, an Aura with bestow remains untapped when it becomes unattached and becomes a creature.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Tooth and Nail reads:

Choose one — Search your library for up to two creature cards, reveal them, put them into your hand, then shuffle your library; or put up to two creature cards from your hand onto the battlefield.

God's are ALWAYS (in all zones) creature cards because they have the word Creature on them. When they come into play the game checks if they are also a creature (which is different from a creature card). If they are a creature, they are able to do creature things (attack, block, be targeted by things that target creatures etc.) if they are not creatures, they are still creature cards.

All cards that reference creature card can put gods into play, search for them, return them from the grave, discard them from a hand, etc. whether or not they would be a creature once in play. This is because they only care if the card is a Creature Card, and don't actually check if it is a creature.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    The first paragraph is correct. Your second question doesn't work.
    Thanks, HammafistRoob.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Thread Information