View Poll Results: Would you quit Legacy if Brainstorm was banned?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

108 54.82%
  • Yes

38 19.29%
  • I'd think about it

51 25.89%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would you quit Legacy if Brainstorm was banned?

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Re: Would you quit Legacy if Brainstorm was banned?

Nope. Been playing DnT and Merfolk. Neither plays Brainstorm, so I'd still not care. But I know people who would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Maybe people will just keep drawing 4 off of Brainstorm and quick hands, or only putting 1 back, and the DCI will banhammer it because no one can be trusted to just RTFC and stick to the fucking rules of the game.

I don't want Brainstorm banned, I just think that would be hi-larious. DCI announcement be all:

Quote Originally Posted by DCI
    Explanation of Smarch 34th, 20XX B&R Changes:

In looking at the Legacy metagame over the years we noticed that Brainstorm had a curious impact on the format and the players, so we banned it. We had two basic reasons for doing this:
    • Two.
    • Explores.

Really, guys, we thought you were better than this. There isn't a single year that goes by where someone doesn't make Top 8 or better by loosely palming "three or so" cards off the top of their deck and then placing "two-ish" cards back on top. If you feel like showing each individual card drawn is that big a pain in the ass, you should probably switch to Checkers -- though we're pretty sure you'll find ways to make that an obfuscational game of 'It Isn't Illegal If You Don't Get Caught' as well. Christ on a cream-puff!
    This isn't The Cosby Show, guys; we try to keep our card games fair and stick to the rules, and when that doesn't happen thanks to greedy players with no compunction about being cheatyface buttholes, this is what you get. Keep finding ways to fudge the gamestate, I dare you. I'll ban every Blue spell that has the word "card" on it. You watch. Go ahead. Fuck you.
    In closing: enjoy your 'Modern + Show and Tell' metagame, losers. You earned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007
    RI

I wouldn't quit. I don't play Brainstorm decks, but I am happy to have Brainstorm in the format

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I would be upset, but I wouldn't quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

If you ban brainstorm you might aswell kill the format all together, look at vintage after brainstorm being restricted, now no one plays. I would certainly quit. I quit Vintage when they restricted Brainstorm and Ponder and moved to legacy

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Id just fix the cardname to Ancestral Brainstorm at this point.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

No. But I would be sad panda.

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

Hello,

If they ban the Brainstorm and with Brainstorm I mean all forms of good cantrips, because if they do not antother would take over the spot imidiatley, I will quit playing Legacy.

The Reason is simple Cntrips increase consictency and each control deck needs it to become playable, since I play only control and mostley blue becasue its my favorite
    Color and strategy approach I can say that Cantrips are essential for this decks.
    This means if Cantrips are banned Combo and Aggro Decks will become stronger and the Format will become less interative and more boring because no one will play Control
    without libary manipulation and engough cnsotency to make shure they get their answers for your plan.
    So the rsulting Format will be dominated by combo because it is faster and this means you can just throw a dice and quit the game.
    In such a format I don´t want to play.

Best regards Teveshszat

I'd honestly be tempted to quit the game entirely, sell my collection, and put a down payment on a house because it would show that WotC has finally allowed the same crowd who cried foul about everything good in Modern to ruin Legacy as well. If you want to ban the card that makes you sad, go after TNN, or you can be an adult about it and learn to play around things. Chances are that bad decks will still be bad in a format without brainstorm.
    Further to the point of people cheating... What competent player doesn't watch their opponent intently during an opposing Brainstorm? I don't care about sleight of hand and obfuscation-- you can learn a lot about what's going on just based upon they way that they choose which cards to return. The same horrible logic applies to their drawstep once every turn. Should we ban drawsteps for fear of unscrupulous players drawing additional cards? Simply put if you don't have an exact count of every card in your opponent's hand at any given point in the game, you're giving up advantage and opening yourself up to exploitation.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

I'd have to for a short while seeing as the only deck I own is UW Control, and without Brainstorm it gets significantly worse. I'd probably end up playing Ponder and Preordane, or switching to a Delver variant with similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Sansian View Post
    I'd honestly be tempted to quit the game entirely, sell my collection, and put a down payment on a house because it would show that WotC has finally allowed the same crowd who cried foul about everything good in Modern to ruin Legacy as well. If you want to ban the card that makes you sad, go after TNN, or you can be an adult about it and learn to play around things. Chances are that bad decks will still be bad in a format without brainstorm.
    Further to the point of people cheating... What competent player doesn't watch their opponent intently during an opposing Brainstorm? I don't care about sleight of hand and obfuscation-- you can learn a lot about what's going on just based upon they way that they choose which cards to return. The same horrible logic applies to their drawstep once every turn. Should we ban drawsteps for fear of unscrupulous players drawing additional cards? Simply put if you don't have an exact count of every card in your opponent's hand at any given point in the game, you're giving up advantage and opening yourself up to exploitation.
    Those kinds of answers are amazing. You read those basically every time:

- stop whining about the format being dominated by a strategy and adapt:

adapt by playing another blue deck? Yes please. Miracles vs Delver all days every days. Amazing. I guess you called for people "adapting" when we had tinker+mirrodin extended era, necro winter and combo summer, or god spare me, the fucking Lin Sivvi Standard of holy shit that's boring.

- without brainstorm every cantrip has to be banned:

This is another amazing example of logical fallacy. Why you'd even think that. The main problem with brainstorm is that it draw 3 in combination with many cards, dodge discard and is an instant. The 2 next best cantrips can't dodge discard, can't draw 3 in any circumstance, and aren't instant. They're league apart. This is like saying that since Ancestral is banned every blue cantrip has to. It's a non-sequitur reasoning that has no basis in reality.

- bad decks will still be bad in a format without brainstorm:

this is amazing. Or maybe it didn't dawn to you that there are many T1.5 deck that could be T1 if brainstorm isn't there? This is like stating that poors will be forever poors even if give free educations to all. The status quo is child of the current situation, if that were to change, the status quo would too. I can tell you, right now, right here, that DnT is a T1 deck that was killed by TNN and would become T1 again if blue were nerfed (banning fucking TNN).

- without brainstorm, we're playing modern or any other iteration of the famous: go play modern and stfu

Why, i'd like very much to continue playing with my wastes, duals, and FoW, to spin my tops for perfect topdecks in every color, as well as using my sylvan library, and powering out hymns at people. I'd also still like very much to see storm, and elves! with cradle, or SnT, or DnT, or Reanimator, hell i've even grown somewhat affectionate to Delver decks. Not a single one of those archetypes are possible in modern, and never will be. Legacy would continue to be an incredibly unique and powered format, even without Brainstorm compared to modern. The two aren't even comparable. Miracle would still have 4 SDT to set up their miracles, as well as probably ponder, Jace and whatsnot.

Not in the post i've answered to, but still relevant and often found:

- BS is a pillar of legacy

This is purely a subjective argument. I liked very much playing with MM, and i've advocated with all of myself against its ban, but it got banned. I accepted the fact, and played on. I still believe that in the end MM would've been a positive influence on the format, but its presence was considered too pervasive by WotC and it made too many top decks blue. Now the blue dominance is greater than in MM era, and BS penetrance in T8 is higher than MM ever was. And not for 1 month, but i believe it's the third month straight now (more like 2 since we had no tournaments during the festivities).
    But apparently you can't even debate for its ban because it's suddendly a pilar. You know what was also a pillar of Legacy? Survival. It got axed, even if it was considered a core card for the format for many years. You know this is just shifting the objective from objective facts to subjective one, basically you argue out of faith that BS shouldn't be banned. Scientific reasoning be damned.

- banning BS would empower blazing fast combo

Hint: the reason blazing fast "suicide" combo is not good is not because you can brainstorm a FoW on T1. It's because it lose to itself so many times, and lose to too many random things like a T2 thalia or a T1 waste or Daze. Also, technically, you can Ponder on T1 and still dig 3 cards deep like BS, finding that FoW if you were to fear that T2 win from a suicide combo deck. In case they'd won on T1, BS wouldn't have helped anyway, and it's certainly not the reasons those decks aren't good, because they are just inconsistent as shit. The good combo decks are more consistent and here we get to the next point

- BS would weaken control

And again no. The biggest hit of an eventual BS would be 2-cards based combo decks, or, more specifically, SnT and Reanimator. Control would still have top for absurd card selection all game long, and wouldn't lose as much by being more vulnerable to discard. Discard more efficient, would also AGAIN, weaken non-redundant combo even more, meaning the best combo decks would be decks like Elves!, Enchantress, and Storm that would still be good enough since it's not as weak against discard as Rean and SnT. In terms of how much archetypes lose power, it goes like this: (most)Combo->Tempo->Control/Midrange->Aggro. The end results of this is obviously not predictable, but control wouldn't be the biggest loser of it at all for sure. 18 lands + 4 BS would be the decks hit the more by it.

- i like playing with BS

This, in the end, is the only reasonable argument i can see. Because:

- the card is at the highest penetration ever seen, and, differently from lands, it doesn't enable diverse strategies, but basically lock the format on one color, by making fragile combo better and by making tempo better. This means... da ba dee
    - being a pillar of a format doesn't mean shit when the format was created specifically to avoid the issues that Vintage had, aka excessive dependance on certain cards
    - being skilltesting is non-true unless you consider sleight of hand being skilltesting since you can cheat more with it compared to ponder and preordain. Portent, Preordain and Ponder have all a much more complex skilltree of decision behind it, with the first being : do i actually use my mana since my spell is a sorcery? BS is ridicously easy in comparison since you BS end of turn, put back 2 useless cards, shuffle deck: you just casted ancestral recall, well played my skill intensive padawan!
    - reducing variant is also false because SDT reduce variance much more. The problem here is purely of power level. Ponder can actually see you 4 cards deep in your deck, meaning it's actually MORE variance-reducing if you really want a single card. But here the problem is the card is essentially an ancestral, a card which is clearly overpowered in concern to otehr cards in the format

It also help that all the time i post in this thread, i write endless walls of text, and the most of the post i read are snarky one-liners with 0 context and attack based on NOTHING. Those always reassure me of the fact that i'm not in the wrong.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I've probably put more effort into tracking the data of the format and of color balance and card play than anyone else over the years, and have repeatedly made essay-length responses to peoples' objections.

The number of knee-jerk ad hominem attacks that, unlike what I do, are actually ad hominem, trying to say that people should ignore me because I'm supposedly just trolling, is depressing and forces me to recognize that people who know that they are wrong but don't want to admit it are incapable of acting in good faith.

So I'm just not going to bother anymore.

By every criteria Wizards has ever set forth, Brainstorm deserves to be banned. It is dominant and ubiquitous, it exerts enormous swinging power over games, it empowers degenerate combo decks in particular.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Maybe people will just keep drawing 4 off of Brainstorm and quick hands, or only putting 1 back, and the DCI will banhammer it because no one can be trusted to just RTFC and stick to the fucking rules of the game.

I don't want Brainstorm banned, I just think that would be hi-larious. DCI announcement be all:
    I've never thought of this particular argument before, but it's an interesting thought.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I think the problem goes way deeper than just Brainstorm being a powerful card. It's Wizards new design philosophy.

Traditionally, blue had the best disruption suite (FoW + Daze) and the best card filtering (Brainstorm, Ponder, etc). But since Wizards recently started to shit out the best creatures in blue as well (Delver, TNN, Griselbrand if you want to count him as blue creature due to S&T), the balance is completely gone and we gone from 50% BS meta to about 70% BS meta. And since I doubt that Wizard is going to stop printing ridiculous creatures, it all just goes downhill from here if things are left unchecked since blue is now unrivaled in pretty much every aspect of the game as far as Legacy is concerned.

There needs to a paradigm shift that non-combo creatures aren't untouchable anymore. TNN needs to go since it's the course for this mess in the first place. Other stuff has to follow in the future, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyKapree View Post
    If you ban brainstorm you might aswell kill the format all together, look at vintage after brainstorm being restricted, now no one plays. I would certainly quit. I quit Vintage when they restricted Brainstorm and Ponder and moved to legacy
    Vintage died because nobody plays it. It has no tournament support and the must-have staples are so limited that the prices for them are outrageous.

Legacy will go that route, too, once prices get higher and higher while SCG drops Legacy from their Opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Teveshszat View Post
    If they ban the Brainstorm and with Brainstorm I mean all forms of good cantrips, because if they do not antother would take over the spot imidiatley, I will quit playing Legacy.
    That's a flawed argument since BS is unique in what it does. There's no need to ban Ponder and the likes since they can't lead to blue dominance like Brainstorm does.

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Theres modern for you whom dont like brainstorm.
    I'd love to play Modern once they give me:

- Wasteland
    - Rishadan Port
    - Karakas
    - Mother of Runes
    - Stoneforge Mystic
    - StP

I can live without Jitte, though.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Oh come on! Really, the Jund argument again?
    In a format where one can easily get killed turn 1-2, Jund should NEVER be viable.
    The fact that Jund was viable in the first place shows us the following:
    People are idiots and too stupid to play proper combo to crush that rediculous deck.

So you would like Brainstorm to be banned? So you would rather have the winner of a massive Legacy tournament be the one who topdecks Bloodbraid Elf into Liliana best, than to have the best player win it? Awesome...

Heck no. Brainstorm is what makes the format interesting.

Brainstorm is one of the greatest spells to play, ever. A format without Brainstorm is just like a glorified Standard creature-fest.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Eh. Like I have said multiple times, I don't actually care whether or not they do ban brainstorm. But the numbers and everything points towards it being banned. Yes it is powerful, yes it is pretty fun to cast, but so is survival and that got the axe. Sure survival enabled being attacked on T2 by a couple of 4/3's every once in awhile (as if we dont just get derped by emrakul half the time now anyway), but it didn't seem that broken imo. BS is more played than that was and people enjoy it.

To anyone saying they would quit because their decks would be invalidated, please shut the fuck up and be creative. Your stupid Shardless BUG deck or whatever isn't dead just because of BS being banned. Regardless of what Gerry T or Todd Anderson say. Instead of bitching and whining about a very powerful card being banned that really isn't even a build around card, you could try other options. Banning SNT would kill SnT decks. Banning Survival killed Survival decks. Banning brainstorm would not kill off any deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Now the blue dominance is greater than in MM era, and BS penetrance in T8 is higher than MM ever was. And not for 1 month, but i believe it's the third month straight now (more like 2 since we had no tournaments during the festivities).
    None of that is really Brainstorm's fault, though. You know what card came out three months ago? Oh yeah, True-Name Nemesis. TNN pushed out most of the T1 nonblue decks like Jund and Death and Taxes from contention and the best decks against TNN decks are either combo decks that disregard it (which almost always runs blue by nature), and Tundra control decks with sweepers (blue).

TNN is what's causing the overabundance of blue decks, all of which just happen to run Brainstorm. People just don't look deep enough, see all the Brainstorms being played in the top 8s, and assume that Brainstorm is the issue. I'll say it again, Legacy was fine, balance-wise and Brainstorm-saturation-wise, before the printing of True-Name Nemesis.

True-Name Nemesis is the problem.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I wouldnt be opposed to TNN being banned. I fucking hate the card. Not really OP imo, just leads to extremely uninteractive games
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Oh come on! Really, the Jund argument again?
    In a format where one can easily get killed turn 1-2, Jund should NEVER be viable.
    The fact that Jund was viable in the first place shows us the following:
    People are idiots and too stupid to play proper combo to crush that rediculous deck.

So you would like Brainstorm to be banned? So you would rather have the winner of a massive Legacy tournament be the one who topdecks Bloodbraid Elf into Liliana best, than to have the best player win it? Awesome...
    For just one second I forgot Brainstorm triple top decked for one mana.

Thread Information