Thread: Need help with my U/B/R Thrax Sac/Token EDH deck.

Need help with my U/B/R Thrax Sac/Token EDH deck.

Land (42)
    1x Akoum Refuge
    1x Auntie's Hovel
    1x Blackcleave Cliffs
    1x Blood Crypt
    1x Cascade Bluffs
    1x Command Tower
    1x Creeping Tar Pit
    1x Crosis's Catacombs
    1x Crumbling Necropolis
    1x Darkslick Shores
    1x Darkwater Catacombs
    1x Dimir Aqueduct
    1x Dimir Guildgate
    1x Dragonskull Summit
    1x Drowned Catacomb
    1x Exotic Orchard
    1x Eye of Ugin
    1x Frost Marsh
    1x Graven Cairns
    1x Izzet Boilerworks
    1x Izzet Guildgate
    1x Jwar Isle Refuge
    1x Lavaclaw Reaches
    1x Rakdos Carnarium
    1x Rakdos Guildgate
    1x Reflecting Pool
    1x Reliquary Tower
    1x Rupture Spire
    1x Salt Marsh
    1x Secluded Glen
    1x Shadowblood Ridge
    1x Shivan Reef
    1x Steam Vents
    1x Sulfur Falls
    1x Sulfurous Springs
    1x Sunken Ruins
    1x Temple of Deceit
    1x Temple of Malice
    1x Tresserhorn Sinks
    1x Underground River
    1x Urborg Volcano
    1x Watery Grave
    Artifact (19)
    1x Akroma's Memorial
    1x Darksteel Plate
    1x Dimir Cluestone
    1x Dimir Keyrune
    1x Dimir Signet
    1x Eldrazi Monument
    1x Izzet Cluestone
    1x Izzet Keyrune
    1x Izzet Signet
    1x Lightning Greaves
    1x Mask of Riddles
    1x Nim Deathmantle
    1x Obelisk of Grixis
    1x Rakdos Cluestone
    1x Rakdos Keyrune
    1x Rakdos Signet
    1x Skullclamp
    1x Spawning Pit
    1x Swiftfoot Boots
    Sorcery (8)
    1x Army of the Damned
    1x Demonic Collusion
    1x Demonic Tutor
    1x Diabolic Intent
    1x Diabolic Tutor
    1x Increasing Ambition
    1x Profane Command
    1x Rite of Replication
    Planeswalker (3)
    1x Jace, Memory Adept
    1x Liliana Vess
    1x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
    Creature (15)
    1x Avatar of Woe
    1x Baleful Strix
    1x Chronozoa
    1x Consecrated Sphinx
    1x Dread
    1x Gravecrawler
    1x It That Betrays
    1x Jhoira of the Ghitu
    1x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1x Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
    1x Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
    1x Rakdos the Defiler
    1x Spawnsire of Ulamog
    1x Thraximundar
    1x Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    Enchantment (8)
    1x Aboshan's Desire
    1x Archmage Ascension
    1x Attrition
    1x Bitterblossom
    1x Drake Umbra
    1x Eldrazi Conscription
    1x Fallen Ideal
    1x Shivan Harvest
    Instant (5)
    1x Crosis's Charm
    1x Cryptic Command
    1x Dimir Charm
    1x Fact or Fiction
    1x Izzet Charm

Help with w/e. I don't have a budget, really. I am centering the deck around Thrax, hence the things that give him hexproof/shroud/indestructible and flying/intimidation/fear. I currently feel like my deck is a little too one-sided and something like a hinder and bad card draw could ruin the game for me. I need suggestions on just about anything, I am wondering if my land choices were the best to go by as well.
    Last edited by jonarr123; 02-24-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Re: Need help with my U/B/R Thrax Sac/Token EDH deck.

What's your deck trying to do? You have a lot of .goodstuff but it's going in every direction. Baleful strix is ok in a control deck and then you also have ulamog. Is this a tempo/aggro deck? Or Grixis control? Or maybe you want combo tokens?

For starters your avg mana cost should be 3-4. You have way too many things that happen late game.

Also if your going to use thrax, at least put Rooftop Storms.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

First thing's first - to use card tags on this site, the syntax is [ cards] and [ /cards] without the space. If you want multiples, sick a number in there, like this: [ cards]3 Thraximundar[/ cards]

There are better things you could be doing than Spawnsire of Ulamog and It That Betrays. Sheoldred, Whispering One is cheaper to cast, causes Thrax to trigger, and provides a passive beneficial effect for you. It's also pretty decent on the attack if you end up needing a beatstick during that stage of the game.

With that out of the way, I think the best place to start is the fundamentals:

Your manabase could use some work, as right now you are absolutely cold to Blood Moon, Back to Basics and Ruination, which all see a fair amount of play in the format. Also, you have a ton of lands that come into play tapped...which are both mediocre draws in the late game and also slow you down significantly. I would seriously consider cutting the following lands in favor of some basics:

Auntie's Hovel
    Crosis's Catacombs
    Dimir Guildgate
    Eye of Ugin
    Izzet Guildgate
    Frost Marsh
    Rakdos Guildgate
    Reliquary Tower
    Rupture Spire
    Salt Marsh
    Secluded Glen
    Tresserhorn Sinks
    Urborg Volcano

You might also swap Akoum Refuge and Jwar Isle Refuge for Strip Mine and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth which both provide much greater utility than the tap lands.

In terms of your mana rocks, with such a high curve you might want to play some better rocks. First, Sol Ring is a glaring omission. I would next look to Chromatic Lantern as it fixes your mana, Thran Dynamo and Gilded Lotus as the bare minimum. Since you're not playing green, you'l probably want some more. I'd run Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Talisman of Dominance and Talisman of Indulgence as well. I don't think you really need all 3 signets, but you could add Rakdos Signet too if you wanted.

I'm not a huge fan of the Obelisk cycle (Chromatic Lanten and Darksteel Ignot are simply better), nor am I really a fan of the cluestones.

You're not playing any removal at all, which I think is a pretty big mistake. A few options:

Vandalblast
    Damnation
    Chaos Warp
    Comet Storm
    Shattering Pulse
    Go for the Throat
    Hero's Downfall
    Cyclonic Rift
    Sudden Spoiling
    Sudden Death

I'd stick Mimic Vat in here somewhere since you're general makes stuff die on the regular.

Lastly, I'd take a hard look at your creatures and ask yourself what each does for the deck. If the answer is "not very much", you might make some changes. Keep in mind your mana curve as you do - a deck full of 5+ mana cards won't work very well.

Thank you so much, I haven't played EDH in somewhere around 2 years, so I have lost my touch :P. The format tip was a big one as well, thanks. As of deck construction, I have compiled a list of cards I want to play and I am going to trim it down to the cream of the crop really. I need some sac outlets, I have switched to something with more tokens and tutors (for cards like hinder) and a lot more evasion for Thrax. I need to find ways to sac the tokens so I can just 1/2/3 hit k.o. with Thrax. I agree with the mana problems you stated, but can you explain how the Yawgmoth "all lands are a swamp in addition to their other types" card works? Does chromatic lantern just make every land produce any color I want? http://deckbox.org/users/jonarr123 This is my list of lists that includes potential cards. I haven't included a land section because I wasn't sure about the non-basic thing.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by jonarr123 View Post
    Thank you so much, I haven't played EDH in somewhere around 2 years, so I have lost my touch :P. The format tip was a big one as well, thanks. As of deck construction, I have compiled a list of cards I want to play and I am going to trim it down to the cream of the crop really. I need some sac outlets, I have switched to something with more tokens and tutors (for cards like hinder) and a lot more evasion for Thrax. I need to find ways to sac the tokens so I can just 1/2/3 hit k.o. with Thrax. I agree with the mana problems you stated, but can you explain how the Yawgmoth "all lands are a swamp in addition to their other types" card works? http://deckbox.org/users/jonarr123 This is my list of lists that includes potential cards. I haven't included a land section because I wasn't sure about the non-basic thing.
    Let's say you have a basic Plains and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play. You can now use that Plains to produce either white or black mana, which is helpful for fixing your mana. It also changes the type of all lands in play by adding "swamp" to their typeline. This generally doesn't matter...but some cards to check to see whether or not a land is a swamp. For example Cabal Coffers, Lashwrithe and any creature with swampwalk.

Another thing worth noting is that Urborg also changes itself to a swamp, so you'll be able to produce black mana with it.

Lastly, the effect is symmetrical, so it affects your opponent's lands too. This is particularly helpful for swampwalking creatures.

One other random comment: if you're pursuing a token sacrifice theme, Grave Pact deserves a spot. You should be able to make your general quite large in a short period of time that way.

Grave pact has already earned it's spot. What do you think about outlets for sacrifice though? I have a Bitterblossom laying around and I have a couple sac outlets, I just need to know what is a worthy use of the 1/1 chumps.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Grave pact has already earned it's spot. What do you think about outlets for sacrifice though? I have a Bitterblossom laying around and I have a couple sac outlets, I just need to know what is a worthy use of the 1/1 chumps.
    In my experience (which is in no way exhaustive) it is usually beneficial to have access to some kind of a sacrifice outlet. The reason for that is things like Control Magic and Condemn, which can really ruin your day. My stock in sac outlets goes up if my deck wants to do something with my opponent's stuff. For example, let's say I'm going to include Insurrection in my deck. I would also include more sacrifice outlets with the intention of sacrificing all the creatures I just borrowed after attacking.

In terms of Bitterblossom, your best bet is Skullclamp. I also quite like Goblin Bombardment in red decks.

I have skullclamp, I was looking more for something that allows me to sac them to pump Thrax, as clamp doesn't count as a sac. What do you recommend as ideal mana fixers and land? Like a compiled list, if thats not too much to ask. You have already been more than generous and I know that asking you to make a 40-50 card long list is a bit much.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I have skullclamp, I was looking more for something that allows me to sac them to pump Thrax, as clamp doesn't count as a sac. What do you recommend as ideal mana fixers and land? Like a compiled list, if thats not too much to ask. You have already been more than generous and I know that asking you to make a 40-50 card long list is a bit much.

My no-budget mana base for Thrax would look something like this:

Badlands
    Underground Sea
    Volcanic Island
    Bloodstained Mire
    Polluted Delta
    Scalding Tarn
    Blood Crypt
    Watery Grave
    Steam Vents
    Dragonskull Summit
    Drowned Catacomb
    Sulfur Falls
    Sunken Ruins
    Cascade Bluffs
    Command Tower
    City of Brass
    Ancient Tomb
    Strip Mine
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Thespian's Stage
    High Market
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Temple of the False God
    5 Island
    5 Swamp
    5 Mountain

You'd likely have to tweak the balance of basic lands once you settled on a final list, but that's where I would start. If the Alpha duals are out of your price range there's a few options - the painlands are probably the best of them, but any of the come-into-play-tapped lands (i.e. Theros Block scry lands, guildgates etc.) would probably be fine too. Fetches can be had on a budget as well: Rocky Tar Pit, Bad River and Grixis Panorama do reasonable imitations. There are some other utility options to consider too depending on what you expect out of your meta/decklist: Bojuka Bog, Wasteland, Miren, the Moaning Well, Academy Ruins and so on.

In terms of mana rocks...my no-budget list might look something like this:

Sol Ring
    Mana Crypt
    Izzet Signet
    Dimir Signet
    Talisman of Indulgence
    Talisman of Dominance
    Chromatic Lantern
    Thran Dynamo
    Gilded Lotus

On the bench are Rakdos Signet and Worn Powerstone...but if you want to be hyper-competitive the Powerstone should probably make the list. Mana Vault would be my budget replacement for Mana Crypt.

http://deckbox.org/sets/620608 Thats what I have narrowed down to. Land is still off, need to know if running 20 basic land is "ok" or if i should drop some cheapos in there. I also need to narrow down like 20-30 other cards to make room for the land. I would format it all nicely but 110 cards to format is a bit much work right now :P.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

http://deckbox.org/sets/620608 Thats what I have narrowed down to. Land is still off, need to know if running 20 basic land is "ok" or if i should drop some cheapos in there. I also need to narrow down like 20-30 other cards to make room for the land. I would format it all nicely but 110 cards to format is a bit much work right now :P.
    You can never really go wrong with basic lands. 40 lands total plus a bunch of mana rocks is probably too many though. I generally start with 38 mana producing lands when deck building in this format, and consider taking one out for every 2 rocks. If the deck is high curve or my general is expensive I won't even do that. In my experience you generally want to end up somewhere around 50 mana sources (lands + rocks + ramp creatures) or so, depending on what you're trying to do.

I need help with cutting some stuff out. I dont have enough room forbthe land and cant find snything that doesnt synergize with deck super and is able to be cut.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I need help with cutting some stuff out. I dont have enough room forbthe land and cant find snything that doesnt synergize with deck super and is able to be cut.
    Avatar of Woe is slow and expensive, so I'm sure you can do better.

Ertai is cute, but ultimately you're going to be tapping out on your turn to cast your fatties, so holding up for counter mana isn't going to be a frequent occurrence.

Thada Adel doesn't do all that much here either.

Barrin's Spite isn't all that great of card as it gives your opponent a choice.

I'm not convinced this is a deck that wants Cruel Ultimatum as you don't really have any way to buy it back and/or make it more impactful.

Sword of Body and Mind seems out of place as your only sword. You're not looking to fill your opponent's bin, and the protections aren't particularly relevant in terms of potential removal.

Rakdos Ritekinfe is cute, but it's also slow as hell.

I'm not sure you need all of the evasion granting stuff (Whispersilk Cloak, Aboshan's Desire, Fallen Ideal, Pemin's Aura etc.) - Thrax is generally going to be the biggest girl at the ball, and your deck is generally pretty hostile to your opponent's creatures...so blockers shouldn't be too huge of an issue for you.

Updated it, what do you think? Down to 100 cards with all my basics and everything .

Thread Information