Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bluh, shortcuts and naming cards. [not cabal therapy]

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: bluh, shortcuts and naming cards. [not cabal therapy]

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    The above examples are the exact reasons why I will never again in my life play a game of multiple-player Magical Gathering Cards.

All the annoying jargon and behaviour of tournament scene, all those wannabe-pros with their "herp derp, tempo, value, grindy, bolt, bolt, bolt" are outweighted by the fact that not only they do know how the game works, but they're also willing to keep its integrity; ok, maybe except for Bertognonuzzichiogliacicciolini (or w/e his name) and similar dudes.
    The constant take-backs, misunderstanding, misinformation, wrong interpretation of game rules/state/phases, the so-called "spirit of multiplayer game", dicking about everything possible while turning the game into lawn darts mixed with tic-tac-toe, all this makes multiplayer sooo much uncomfortable I can't even tell.
    Everytime someone tries to enforce even the simpliest/importantest rule like APNAP or "declare all attackers at once" or "choose proper targets", or simply "know how the stack works", some 20 y/o idiot in a Nightscrounge T-shirt starts screaming "this is a friendly game, we play friendly game!" and proceeds to skip/bend seven rules so that he may Animate Dead the WGD without any other player interfering "wow, that was one of an intense game, my sirs, it was totally amazing how Lucy played the Signet, then Dick dicked with 1/2 Mortivore, then we hated out the rules nazi daring to play 'Creeping Mold, target your Bazaar' and then just whoa I won, I'm genius. So much fun! Another one? I'll take my 24MindTwist.dec, do you mind?"

/ot
    Yeah, it's clearly one of those "know your playgroup" sort of things.

I mean if a bunch of guys who get together for Standard playtesting and are playing to win decide to cut loose and play EDH or like... Rainbow Stairwell :( or something... then invariably these kinds of things do come up. Someone wants all the rules, someone only wants a few of them, someone else just wants to play the game, etc.

Anyway, the most relevant one in my mind was the 1v1 scenario, and having had it clarified that the shortcut process isn't a strict back-and-forth like passing on an empty stack, that part is much more clear. It still seems like there would be certain super sloppy lines of play that could be beaten on technicalities by countering an inadvertent shortcut proposal with a Silence or Meddling Mage, but you have to get pretty clumsy to get to that point and you probably deserve it in 1v1 if it happens. As for multiplayer, that's pretty much always just been the laws of the jungle anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sep 2011

Re: bluh, shortcuts and naming cards. [not cabal therapy]

Quote Originally Posted by cherub_daemon View Post
    Me too, but the rules seem to indicate that you technically have to state a place where you want to interact. In the multiplayer Goblin/Wing Shards/Silence example, this leads to a situation where the Wing Shards player is forced to give the Silence player information ("I want to truncate the proposed shortcut immediately after attackers are declared") which that player would otherwise not have. This situation arises only because the Goblin player has shortcut something.
    The goblins player should have played Goblin Shortcutter first.

Thread Information