Page 53 of 79 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1571

Thread: SCG and its not-as-lousy-as-WotC coverage

Re: SCG and its not-as-lousy-as-WotC coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    No Force - His hand was triple Hymn, double Shardless, land.

EDIT: well, that's what it looked like.

what?
    wasn't he playing miracles? o.0
    do i remember badly? (miracle vs reanimator in the match with Duke)

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by pochy View Post
    what?
    wasn't he playing miracles? o.0
    do i remember badly? (miracle vs reanimator in the match with Duke)
    He had Top and Entreat when he was Thoughtseized. Commentators said it was Miracles with a single Dig through Time.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Site Contributor

May 2013
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Part of joining Legacy is learning what things are called, just as newbies learn old interactions that are new to them, such as threshold or cumulative upkeep or, say, phasing. SCG has no compelling reason to retroactively rename years of Legacy decks, and the editorial overreaching is irritating to much of the Legacy community.
    I thought they had already made the deck names newb friendly by calling them BUG Delver and RUG Delver instead of Team America and Canadian Threshold...This is a step further away from deck name simplicity. The names were descriptive, simple, and functional. This clan shit just obscures the information more!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Not much coverage of the new cards on camera so far but it certainly seems to show Treasure Cruise as playable. The Omni-tell player shuffles his yard with Emrakul and next turn it is back to Land, Instant and Sorcery for Gofy letting the BUG Delver player eat his own yard.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by L0cke View Post
    I thought they had already made the deck names newb friendly by calling them BUG Delver and RUG Delver instead of Team America and Canadian Threshold...This is a step further away from deck name simplicity. The names were descriptive, simple, and functional. This clan shit just obscures the information more!
    Wizards came up with some awful names that try more to sound super Asian than feel like they match any group of colors. I think people would care less about the renames if the new names didn't feel like bad translations. People are going to get used to them only because we're being forced to deal with them until at least the Khans block rotates; the issue is that it seems like the creative team didn't focus on picking some appropriate sounding names for the color groupings since the Khans block isn't about the wedges, and now we're stuck with the "exotic" choices they made instead; SCG is being forced to use whatever names Wizards ended up choosing if they really believe that using the new names helps new players.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Part of joining Legacy is learning what things are called, just as newbies learn old interactions that are new to them, such as threshold or cumulative upkeep or, say, phasing. SCG has no compelling reason to retroactively rename years of Legacy decks, and the editorial overreaching is irritating to much of the Legacy community.
    This is how I want to feel but...

Quote Originally Posted by Namida View Post
    Wizards came up with some awful names that try more to sound super Asian than feel like they match any group of colors. I think people would care less about the renames if the new names didn't feel like bad translations. People are going to get used to them only because we're being forced to deal with them until at least the Khans block rotates; the issue is that it seems like the creative team didn't focus on picking some appropriate sounding names for the color groupings since the Khans block isn't about the wedges, and now we're stuck with the "exotic" choices they made instead; SCG is being forced to use whatever names Wizards ended up choosing if they really believe that using the new names helps new players.
    I think this nails it as well. You know they probably sat down with their biggest distribs that do streams/host GPs and laid down the law. Annoying but you know basically Wizards is shoving this down our throats. Seeing how their 2 pet formats (Modern and Standard) are, you can extrapolate that they want to control stuff as much as possible with the game, its presentation, and the public's perception of that presentation.

The new names are retarded, but it's their stream ... they can call it Green Black Blue Tickle Me Elmo Delver if they want ...

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    The new names are retarded, but it's their stream ... they can call it Green Black Blue Tickle Me Elmo Delver if they want ...
    For sure it's their stream. I'm still gonna bitch though. After all that's why we're in this thread.

got a new bike
    Sep 2013

Setting aside sales and looking at principles, marketing the format for the average magic player seems odd. Legacy isn't for the 'average' two-season Standard player who started last year- the technical skill and knowledge required is far too high. Not that this is exclusionary, anyone, with the time and effort, can develop these skills, but it's not easily earned. Legacy as a format requires tremendous personal and communal effort and investment. It's not an overnight process to learn the format, rules and hone your technical play, nor is a decent deck built instantly, or a community created easily. Is this attitude elitism? I don't think so, we only expect from others what we expect from ourselves, which is quite a bit.

So forgive me if I find it irritating that I'm being forced into a marketing scheme designed to attract a group that may not care what an activated ability is, and more than likely won't playing Magic in a few months. Yes, we have to keep up interest and bring new players into the format, but renaming established decks with the most recent buzzwords isn't the way to do it.

But I digress. Like others have said, it's about WotC and sales. If somehow these clan names helps SCG sell a few more overpriced duals to the lowest common denominator, then it must be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    TNN is so uninteractive that you can't even target him with your feelings.
    Deadguy Ale, U/R Painter

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

And the BUG Delver player got a game loss (and thus lost the match) for "slow play" in the Top 8 due to a Liliana split.

Lol ... Moneyless dredge man doesn't even try to find black leyline and scoops. Thrilling matches, legacy is so interesting the miracles guy took the split and went home.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    That was strange. Mann must have pissed off that same judge earlier in the day because that wasn't an unreasonable amount of time at all considering the situation.
    Whenever I see slow play losses I get a bit suspicious, especially at larger events.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

For everyone who's not on Twitter:

Top4 at SCG Indy (no live coverage, unfortunately) has 4 Elves.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Shoutouts to Cockatrice

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    For everyone who's not on Twitter:

Top4 at SCG Indy (no live coverage, unfortunately) has 4 Elves.

Lol. That's pretty awesome.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

So diversity.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Lol ... Moneyless dredge man doesn't even try to find black leyline and scoops.
    And I thought money snobbery was just a thing in 80s high school movies.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

I find it dismissive by SCG of the history and effort from the community to not call the deck what they were named by their creator(s). The people who made these decks had a hand in shaping the format and caring for it and its community without ever feeling the need to monetize Legacy and act like they lovingly and painstakingly nurtured it. They might as well just fucking say MarO made all the decks anyway so why give the community any acknowledgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Archetype:
    Manaless Dedge

Why did you choose to play this deck this weekend?
    I'm cheap. It's the only thing I can afford... and I like solitaire.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    And I thought money snobbery was just a thing in 80s high school movies.
    To be fair, some of us own all the cards to play whatever and still choose to play manaless dredge when we can't be bothered to think hard enough to play Enchantress.
    Nedleeds just hates dredge and likes to see other people cry.

Thread Information