Page 1 of 79 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG and its not-as-lousy-as-WotC coverage

SCG and its not-as-lousy-as-WotC coverage

SCG Coverage is my football. I watch the coverage every Sunday. I'm starting this thread in part just to bitch, because it is 3:10 pm and coverage won't start for another 20 minutes. This would NEVER happen to the Standard portion of the event.

The other part is to ask why. Why do they consider the legacy end 2nd-rate? They make boatloads of cash off us and manipulate the market of those cards specifically, why won't they at least give us our fair share of face time? It's not like we haven't paid for it fair and square already.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Re: SCG and lousy Legacy coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    SCG Coverage is my football. I watch the coverage every Sunday. I'm starting this thread in part just to bitch, because it is 3:10 pm and coverage won't start for another 20 minutes. This would NEVER happen to the Standard portion of the event.

The other part is to ask why. Why do they consider the legacy end 2nd-rate? They make boatloads of cash off us and manipulate the market of those cards specifically, why won't they at least give us our fair share of face time? It's not like we haven't paid for it fair and square already.

The announcers have been on the go since yesterday. Obviously, my preference is quality Legacy coverage, but I can understand if people need to take breaks.

Sure, but they know that it's a hectic schedule. Shouldn't SCG make sure they have an appropriate amount of announcers rather than short-change their viewers? I'm not saying that they shouldn't take breaks, but they should make sure that we get our time as well.

Edit: and now it's "back at 3:35". First it's 3, then 3:30, maybe they should just say "back at our own convenience." Total crap. Happens almost every event, too, just not quite this fucking bad.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Not to defend SCG, but, I think it's a throwback to when they had byes. Also, unlike a GP or PT there are fewer known names so the first few rounds are slightly harder to find interesting games to feature in the earlier rounds. I would watch randoms match-ups featuring pet decks and tier 2 decks for the first few rounds piloted by unknowns and noobs, may even be more entertaining than seeing the same people on the same decks week after week.

Back on at round fucking 5. Are you freaking kidding me?!?

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Sure, but they know that it's a hectic schedule. Shouldn't SCG make sure they have an appropriate amount of announcers rather than short-change their viewers? I'm not saying that they shouldn't take breaks, but they should make sure that we get our time as well.
    One of the their big changes for 2014 was making coverage more "professional" just just having random good magic players in the booth, but having a small set cast do the coverage with Pat Sullivan and Cedric Philips being the "main" commentators. I think this was a step in the right direction, but after covering 11 rounds of standard (ew) AND a top in the past 24 hours give the guys a break sheesh.

SCG business practices I am not a big fan of, but when it comes to their tournaments and their coverage, no one really does it better. I don't think they mean to short change legacy. Legacy just happens to come the day after standard and the casters need a break at some point.

I am the same way with SCG legacy being my sunday afternoon football though, so I definitely am a bit bummed not to see coverage till 4 in the afternoon.

EDIT: also, they definitely make money off legacy, but their standard prices are just as inflated and there are not only more players spending money on standard, but the amount any competitive player spends on standard is WAY more than your average competitive legacy player spends. Standard costs like 500-1000$ a year. Legacy costs like 500-2500$ once.

I'm not irritated with the commentators but rather whoever (whomever?) makes the decision to only send 2 of them for a 2-day event. That's just being cheap.

Instead of looking at the deficiency of Legacy coverage, maybe we should be grateful there IS a legacy circuit in United States.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Instead of looking at the deficiency of Legacy coverage, maybe we should be grateful there IS a legacy circuit in United States.
    I don't think I ever purveyed any ungratefulness, maybe I'm a little greedy, but I also feel a little burned by the company for taking away the only SCG event I could ever really make it to without having to drop >$500 just to attend. I now refer you to SCG Denver.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

I'm not irritated with the commentators but rather whoever (whomever?) makes the decision to only send 2 of them for a 2-day event. That's just being cheap.

Normally coverage is staffed a bit heavier, but Mathias Hunt was at the Pro Tour this weekend, taking away one body from the team.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think Im mostly annoyed with the fact that I have had 2 Shardless vs Deathblade MUs in a row. What a snooze fest. to be fair though it did inspire me to go do my laundry
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Same. I'm washing a load of jeans, work clothes in the dryer. What matchups-err loads...never mind. Bored.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Another Shardless vs Deathblade MU? Done. Playing GTAV
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

This is kinda like the Super Bowl...

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Now an esper deathblade mirror... kill me now please

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

One more for you, Esper deathblade mirror. Yawn.. Let's play Pokemon X instead.

Crap, they are going to ban true-name, aren't they?

They've just announced the top 8:

Joe Bernal, Andrew Tenjum, Joe Bernal, Andrew Tenjum, Joe Bernal, Andrew Tenjum, Joe Bernal, and Andrew Tenjum sneaks in at eigth on breakers.
    "If magic is your crutch, cast it aside and learn to walk without it." —Teferi

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    They've just announced the top 8:

Joe Bernal, Andrew Tenjum, Joe Bernal, Andrew Tenjum, Joe Bernal, Andrew Tenjum, Joe Bernal, and Andrew Tenjum sneaks in at eigth on breakers.
    But Joe Bernal is playing on camera right now, are you from the future?

How clever can one man be...?

Thread Information