Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG and its not-as-lousy-as-WotC coverage

Re: SCG and lousy Legacy coverage

The coverage was pretty miserable until the semi-finals. Watching that painter player roll it slow and cover all the angles was really nice, especially when he named red on servant to prevent the RUG player's pyroblast in the finals. Not that it would have mattered, but seeing a fringe deck played at that level is entertaining even if the games weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by force_of_phil View Post
    The coverage was pretty miserable until the semi-finals. Watching that painter player roll it slow and cover all the angles was really nice, especially when he named red on servant to prevent the RUG player's pyroblast in the finals. Not that it would have mattered, but seeing a fringe deck played at that level is entertaining even if the games weren't.
    It was. However, I prefer this metagame to a banhammer-happy one. I would like to see Survival come back as well. I think it's power level is adequate but not overly, at least with this specific meta. Not that I want this thread to derail into metagame semantics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

I got skipped over multiple times on Sunday for feature matches, I was at table 6, and the matches went table 1, table 5, table 7, table 12 (or something similar), and again at table 9 when it was tables 6,7, 8, and 11.

Anti-combo conspiracy, man.
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

They make terrible choices. It does feel like a "frame job."

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I hesitate to share emails but because I'm a big fan of SCG and Cedric Phillips (despite my complaints about coverage focusing on well-known players and the same decks), I'll share Cedric's response to a Customer Service message of mine, because it explains their reasoning, even if I disagree with it. The relevant bits:

"Our coverage has shifted towards focusing on great players instead of interesting decks. We have found that it is much more compelling for the viewer at home to watch a skilled player playing a great deck as opposed to a player of varying skill level playing an interesting deck. We will, of course, feature an innovative deck that is making a deep run in a tournament (Kennen Haas in Indianapolis for example), but metrics have shown that the audience cares much more about seeing a recognizable face playing Magic at a high level."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I personally would rather see an interesting deck (assuming it is doing well). I understand and am fine with them showing good players, but I really hate to see the same people/deck so often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

while i buy the argument about wanting to see better players, it really has to be balanced against seeing the same two goddamn decks all the time. Maybe they were hoping to hype DRS now that they won't be selling it to Modern players? plus, legacy is one of the few formats where there even are more than 5-6 decks—and coverage should reflect that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Oct 2004
    Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    metrics have shown that the audience cares much more about seeing a recognizable face playing Magic at a high level."
    What? No. I don't even need to see a face, just the cards will do.

I'd rather just see nice looking decks, beta duals etc. than white bordered STPs and revised islands. When the 'pros' are using City of Traitors as super mana crypt on camera and cheating with brainstorm who cares if it's a random person.

#betafiend

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by warfordium View Post
    while i buy the argument about wanting to see better players, it really has to be balanced against seeing the same two goddamn decks all the time. Maybe they were hoping to hype DRS now that they won't be selling it to Modern players? plus, legacy is one of the few formats where there even are more than 5-6 decks—and coverage should reflect that.
    Illuminati yo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I'd rather just see nice looking decks, beta duals etc. than white bordered STPs and revised islands. When the 'pros' are using City of Traitors as super mana crypt on camera and cheating with brainstorm who cares if it's a random person.

#betafiend
    This is exactly what happened. Your home boy Paul Callis got featured, I instantly recognized my Patriot francophobe travel companion from May, and his sexy ass dual lands. I called it out on Twitter with respect, then fell asleep from the boring mirror match.

As for "interesting decks" vs "recognizable names"; I do my part when SCG shows up to the West Coast. I had a ton of fun with UR/b Painter back in November, and beating @wrapter on camera was a delight as well. :D
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    MtG is like Chess: fun to play, boring to watch.
    That's your opinion. I like watching chess and magic.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

I like how they featured Tom Ross like 3 times playing that gimmicky infect deck. They must really want to sell dem Berserks.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    I like how they featured Tom Ross like 3 times playing that gimmicky infect deck. They must really want to sell dem Berserks.
    would you rather see Blade deck vs Blade deck grinding fest? Or Blade deck vs Rug/Bug Delver deck?

I was impressed with how far he went with the list. He looks like a really strong player.

Sep 2007
    MN

I wish Todd Anderson the best, but in the booth he is a ways below the others. Obviously he needs to cover games in order to improve at it, but he seems significantly below where Ced/Psull/Hunt/Aj/etc. were when they started. Chronically saying 'like', 'you know', and ending virtually every sentence with ..."so". Also, always trying to wrap up games before they are over. Yes, the writing is on the wall, but there are other things to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    I wish Todd Anderson the best, but in the booth he is a ways below the others. Obviously he needs to cover games in order to improve at it, but he seems significantly below where Ced/Psull/Hunt/Aj/etc. were when they started. Chronically saying 'like', 'you know', and ending virtually every sentence with ..."so". Also, always trying to wrap up games before they are over. Yes, the writing is on the wall, but there are other things to talk about.
    For God's sake, he's a substitute. I would hate to be him, out of kindness to fill in for the ill Cedric Philips, then got criticized in a down pour. He's a player and he's supposed to compete, not commentate, he's doing that as a goodwill, cut him some slack.

This is why, you gotta consider a lot of stuff before you decide to do a good deed, people are ungrateful and might not thank you for doing it.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I thought Todd's commentary was quite interesting in that he gave many different lines of play that he may have taken, even if they weren't the "best" lines. It's good to hear that from players and what they're thinking in the moment and why they choose to do what they do.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    Commentary is hard, and especially keeping focus when you could make the obvious John Madden style garbage. Filling in dead space is even harder without veering off and completely losing your audience. I think he could do fine with a little bit of coaching and focus.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information