Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29697576777879
Results 1,561 to 1,571 of 1571

Thread: SCG and its not-as-lousy-as-WotC coverage

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Re: SCG and its not-as-lousy-as-WotC coverage

FWIW, per Patrick Sullivan:

The early numbers are in, and while people still love playing Legacy, fewer people watch it than a Standard Open. For people arguing that viewership numbers were different because of, say, Saturday/Sunday splits, that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAardvark View Post
    FWIW, per Patrick Sullivan:

The early numbers are in, and while people still love playing Legacy, fewer people watch it than a Standard Open. For people arguing that viewership numbers were different because of, say, Saturday/Sunday splits, that doesn't appear to be the case.
    People thought that more people would watch Legacy than Standard if they were on the same day? Or were they saying that the Saturday/Sunday splits gave Standard a boost and Legacy a handicap which amplified the discrepancy? Standard's a behemoth; I don't know anyone who thinks more people are into watching Legacy or any other format.
    Last edited by LOLWut; 02-02-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Missing an "a", woe.

The people who claim that must be the same "legacy zealots" who are "constantly harassing" Jeff Hoogland (his words, not mine), also known as strawmen.

Having said that, I think it is not fair at all to ignore the point that Patrick is making, if Viewership numbers are important to SCG then 3/4 standard opens might indeed be the way to go. Obviously a risky move if we end up with a bad standard like the last one, but maybe the new rotation structure stops that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Maybe people are kinda bored with the deck? Are there any decks that actually prey on Miracles?
    12-Post destroys Miracles, though it also doesn't see much play.

In general, decks with higher mana costs are good against Miracles, because the CounterTop combo is less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by stnikolauswagne View Post
    Having said that, I think it is not fair at all to ignore the point that Patrick is making, if Viewership numbers are important to SCG then 3/4 standard opens might indeed be the way to go. Obviously a risky move if we end up with a bad standard like the last one, but maybe the new rotation structure stops that.
    This post has so many... loaded statements, not even funny.

First of all, viewership number has various factors. What is the validity when you look at a SCG event viewership number when it's also on the same weekend as the Superbowl? I don't think the viewership between Magic and Superbowl is mutually exclusive, you can like both. That's only one factor, what about the weather? When you are trapped in a polar vortex, what other forms of entertainment do you have?

A good standard or a bad standard is purely subjective. Say we paraphrase to healthiness, as subjective as it sound, the healthiness of Standard is still decided by WotC, not by SCG. You seem to be confused by the two entities. The new rotation structure is Not targeted toward GP circuit or SCG circuit, it's WotC trying to fix the flaw of uneven-3-sets-in-one-block problem.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    [...] the healthiness of Standard is still decided by WotC, not by SCG. You seem to be confused by the two entities. [...]
    Because I despise polemics: stnikolauswagne made no statement that makes him seemed confused about what WotC and SCG are.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    This post has so many... loaded statements, not even funny.

First of all, viewership number has various factors. What is the validity when you look at a SCG event viewership number when it's also on the same weekend as the Superbowl? I don't think the viewership between Magic and Superbowl is mutually exclusive, you can like both. That's only one factor, what about the weather? When you are trapped in a polar vortex, what other forms of entertainment do you have?
    Sure, it's the same weekend as the Superbowl... but the Superbowl didn't start until Sunday evening. I can't remember if the SCG tournament was still going on at that point, but even if it was, the majority of the tournament had no conflict with the Super Bowl.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Sure, it's the same weekend as the Superbowl... but the Superbowl didn't start until Sunday evening. I can't remember if the SCG tournament was still going on at that point, but even if it was, the majority of the tournament had no conflict with the Super Bowl.
    I, like I assume many others, really only remember or care about watching the last few rounds + top 8 of the tournament. Surely that is common, since you get to see the people/decks that are doing best performing. Same with any tournament at all, more people watch the last matches. Having that line up with Superbowl Sunday would definitely do damage.

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

The game and the Finals of the tournament started within minutes of each other.

Personally, I try to watch as much as possible on both days (although I won't with Modern; zero interest), but I don't know if that is common or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

As stated by others, the later rounds are the rounds I tend to watch. In addition to that, the Superbowl started Sunday evening, but Superbowl "stuff" started before that. Pregame, Superbowl parties, etc. No one can pretend that the Superbowl didn't have at least some effect on viewership this weekend.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

They were also contending with a 2nd professional stream. Numbers would have been down even if it was standard...

Thread Information