Thread: Thespians Stage + Wasteland + Basic Land

Jan 2010
    Germany

Thespians Stage + Wasteland + Basic Land

Hey guys!

I just need confirmation on sth I am not 100% sure of.

Following scenario: I have a Thespian`s Stage and some other lands in play, among which is also a basic Forest. My opponent plays Wasteland and trys to waste my Stage. In response I activate Stage to copy my Basic Forest. What happens and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 2007
    Montreal, Qc

Re: Thespians Stage + Wasteland + Basic Land

Quote Originally Posted by venice View Post
    Hey guys!

I just need confirmation on sth I am not 100% sure of.

Following scenario: I have a Thespian`s Stage and some other lands in play, among which is also a basic Forest. My opponent plays Wasteland and trys to waste my Stage. In response I activate Stage to copy my Basic Forest. What happens and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Opponent will lose wasteland while you keep your forest, since it's a basic.

Re: Thespians Stage + Wasteland + Basic Land

"Basic" is a supertype, printed on the card. Copying copies a card as printed (really the Oracle text, but as printed sounds better) plus a few other special things.

{T}, Sacrifice Wasteland: Destroy target nonbasic land.

{2}, {T}: Thespian's Stage becomes a copy of target land and gains this ability.

http://www.yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R7062
    706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

http://www.yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/#R2054c
    205.4c. Any land with the supertype "basic" is a basic land. Any land that doesn't have this supertype is a nonbasic land, even if it has a basic land type. Cards printed in sets prior to the Eighth Edition core set didn't use the word "basic" to indicate a basic land. Cards from those sets with the following names are basic lands and have received errata in the Oracle card reference accordingly: Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, Swamp, Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Mountain, Snow-Covered Plains, and Snow-Covered Swamp.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information