Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chalice of the Void - Who is responsible?

Chalice of the Void - Who is responsible?

Let's assume my opponent controls a Chalice of the Void with 1 counter on it, and I play a CC1 spell. My opponent forgets about his Chalice and doesn't point out to me that my spell gets countered. So my question is: Is my opponent responsible for checking the CC of my spells and whether they are countered or not because it's his Chalice? Or are we both responsible for checking? What would happen if my opponent recognizes it a few turns later and calls a Judge?
    STIFLE is good because:

This card is also retarted as a first turn play against a fetch. They pay 1 life, they lose a land, they pass the turn. It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched).

Re: Chalice of the Void - Who is responsible?

Your opponent controls Chalice, so it's his trigger. If he misses it, your spell resolves. If a judge is called at any point later than 1 turn cycle, nothing happens.

So I can legally cast my CC1 spell and let it resolve (when my opp misses the trigger) although I'm aware of Chalice without fearing any penalties?
    STIFLE is good because:

This card is also retarted as a first turn play against a fetch. They pay 1 life, they lose a land, they pass the turn. It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched).

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Yes. Your under no obligation to point out the trigger and they can miss it. The reverse is not true, they can not miss their own trigger. If they cast a 1 CMC card, it gets counted regardless.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Yes. Your under no obligation to point out the trigger and they can miss it. The reverse is not true, they can not miss their own trigger. If they cast a 1 CMC card, it gets counted regardless.
    That's not true. If it's an honest mistake and both players don't see it, the trigger will be missed.

If they however "miss" the trigger on purpose, the result will be a DQ.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    This is what I was expecting.
    STIFLE is good because:

That's not true. If it's an honest mistake and both players don't see it, the trigger will be missed.
    and the triggers controller should get a GRV ...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Note that it also depends on the REL you're playing at. At Competitive+, you can test your opponent like that, but at Regular you're responsible for their mandatory triggers too, iirc.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Note that it also depends on the REL you're playing at. At Competitive+, you can test your opponent like that, but at Regular you're responsible for their mandatory triggers too, iirc.
    That isn't accurate. You are never responsible for your opponent's triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Judging at Regular REL Document
    A player forgets a triggered ability (one that uses the words “when,” “whenever,” or “at” usually at the start of the ability's text).

These abilities are considered missed if the player did not acknowledge them in any way at the point that it required choices or had a visible in-game effect. If the ability includes the word “may,” assume the player chose not to perform it. Otherwise, add it to the stack now unless it happened so long ago that you think it would be very disruptive to the game - don’t add the ability to the stack if significant decisions having been made based on the effect not happening! Unlike other game rule errors (which must be pointed out), players are never required to point out their opponent’s missed triggered abilities, although they may do so.
    The rest of the document can be found here.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Unlike other game rule errors (which must be pointed out), players are never required to point out their opponent’s missed triggered abilities, although they may do so.
    So that actually means I can cast a CC1 spell and wait for my opponent to annouce Chalice's trigger. If he doesn't, I'm fine although I'm completely aware of what I'm doing?
    STIFLE is good because:

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by spider900 View Post
    So that actually means I can cast a CC1 spell and wait for my opponent to announce Chalice's trigger. If he doesn't, I'm fine although I'm completely aware of what I'm doing?
    Note that the section you quoted was from a Regular REL document.

But yes, you are not responsible for your opponent's triggers in any case. Chalice does not prevent you from casting those spells and the onus is on your opponent to remember the trigger.

In general, the controller of the source of the trigger is responsible for it. Cards like The tabernacle at Pendrell vale, whom grant creatures a trigger, are a little more confusing since they do not generate the trigger, but rather give an ability to the creature who gives the trigger. My grizzly bears has a tabernacle trigger for which I am responsible while in your example your opponent here has a chalice trigger for which he/she is responsible.

Does that clarify?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I thought I just saw some game video where a player got to keep his creature because he drew, then his opponent reminded him that his (the opponent's) Tabernacle killed it. Judge came over and they ruled that the Tabernacle player didn't remind him in time so it was missed and the player got to skip paying. I felt this was the wrong call, and what you've written, should not have been the case. Can you confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I thought I just saw some game video where a player got to keep his creature because he drew, then his opponent reminded him that his (the opponent's) Tabernacle killed it. Judge came over and they ruled that the Tabernacle player didn't remind him in time so it was missed and the player got to skip paying. I felt this was the wrong call, and what you've written, should not have been the case. Can you confirm?
    The rules have changed over the last few years. If it was an older video, it could have been correct at the time it was filmed.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    The rules have changed over the last few years. If it was an older video, it could have been correct at the time it was filmed.
    I feel like it was immediately after that successful Loam Pox list came out, someone had a netdeck of it but wasn't as familiar with the interactions. Was under the current rules regulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

If the error is caught within a turn cycle the creature will be sacrificed.

As Tammit67 wrote Tabernacle grants an ability to creatures, so the creatures controller is responsible for it.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

That isn't accurate. You are never responsible for your opponent's triggers.

The rest of the document can be found here.
    Neat and thanks for the correction! Never been so glad to be wrong :)

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Neat and thanks for the correction! Never been so glad to be wrong :)
    It was a relatively recent change too. Even when competitively you didn't have to remind your opponent, there was still a time you had to at Regular.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

It was a relatively recent change too. Even when competitively you didn't have to remind your opponent, there was still a time you had to at Regular.
    Yeah that was the one I was remembering.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Tempus has already touched on what I feel is too important to not clearly re-state it:

Tabernacle is special in the way that it grants a triggered ability to each creature. Tabernacle itself has no triggered abilities.
    This is ther reason why a player with Tabernacle in play can not forget his opponent's creatures "pay 1" trigger as he doesn't control the trigger int he first place. Instead his opponent has to remember the trigger(s) for all of his creatures.

Also because people often get this wrong and actually got it wrong once more in this thread: Tabernacle doesn't make you sacrifice creatures. They are destroyed. No need to pay for your Marit Lage token for example.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Also because people often get this wrong and actually got it wrong once more in this thread: Tabernacle doesn't make you sacrifice creatures. They are destroyed. No need to pay for your Marit Lage token for example.
    In some people's defense, they changed the oracle text of Tabernacle to say sacrifice then changed it back to destroy. In fact, if you tag it here The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale and follow that to DeckBox.org, they have the wrong Oracle text listed.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information