Thread: Political Trickery and Fetchlands

Mar 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

Political Trickery and Fetchlands

Can I cast Political Trickery targeting my opponent's swamp and my Bloodstained Mire and then crack fetch in response, essentially stealing?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Political Trickery and Fetchlands

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostGrown View Post
    Can I cast Political Trickery targeting my opponent's swamp and my Bloodstained Mire and then crack fetch in response, essentially stealing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Comprehensive Rules
    701.8a A spell or ability may instruct players to exchange something (for example, life totals or control of two permanents) as part of its resolution. When such a spell or ability resolves, if the entire exchange can’t be completed, no part of the exchange occurs.

Example: If a spell attempts to exchange control of two target creatures but one of those creatures is destroyed before the spell resolves, the spell does nothing to the other creature.
    So, no Brett, no exchange occurs.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Re: Political Trickery and Fetchlands

Exchange control of target land you control and target land an opponent controls.

There's a reason why Shifting Borders has been more popular historically - as an instant, you can cast it after putting something like Oboro, Palace in the Clouds's ability on the stack.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information