Thread: [SCD] Rishadan Port

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

[SCD] Rishadan Port

rishadan port

How effective is Rishadan port really? Does its effect have a significant impact on the game?

Is it worth playing if you dont play an all in taxing strategy?

When playing with it, do you find its a good idea to port your opponent only when you have extra mana or port them actively?

When playing against it, do you find that it really hinders you from progressing or advancing the board state? Has it ever caused you to lose the game?

With many tempo decks being able to run off 1-2 mana opponents can still get threats down early an seemingly overcome port with t1 pressure. Thanks delver / drs

Also id be interested to know if your experience comes from playing with it or against it.

****Note - please do not discuss price
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2012
    Chicago

Re: [SCD] Rishadan Port

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    rishadan port

How effective is Rishadan port? Does its effect really have a significant impact on the game to warrant being a 4 of?

Is it worth playing if you dont play an all in taxing strategy?

When playing with it, do you find its a good idea to port your opponent only when you have extra mana or port them actively?

When playing against it, do you find that it really hinders you from progressing or advancing the board state? Has it ever caused you to lose the game?

****Note - please do not discuss price
    Port fills a niche, and it does it more efficiently than any other card we have or probably ever will have access to.

Yes. For example, Lands decks that use Dark Depths as a win condition use Port to great success for tapping down Wasteland, Maze of Ith, and sometimes even a white source. Niche, sure, but important for at least one non-D&T deck. Port was also great in Goblins, allowing you to have a tax angle with Aether Vial in play without committing fully to a taxing strategy.

It depends on the scenario, and there's no hard-and-fast rule for the proper way to Port. Port will increase in value as its controller's skill and knowledge of the format increases.

Yes, definitely. I've lost the ANT vs. D&T matchup before because my black source was being ported in upkeep to prevent me from ritualing out before Batterskull connected. I've also lost with hands that could combo through Thalia, but not Thalia + Port. But beyond situations like that and Lands using it to connect with Marit Lage, Port activations are normally part of a much larger puzzle of small control pieces that accrue incremental advantage.
    Legacy: ANT
    Modern: Scapewish
    Standard: Devotion

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I just wanna say that I have nothing to say because Gregtron's response was spot-on and left nothing out.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I just wanna say that I have nothing to say because Gregtron's response was spot-on and left nothing out.
    If thats the case then great. His response was very well said. Really i was trying to get some opinions about it because in my play group no one plays with it. I just started playing with it myself and wanted to see what everyone else though.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2012
    Chicago

Ah shucks, thanks guys.
    Legacy: ANT
    Modern: Scapewish
    Standard: Devotion

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Exp comes from piloting lands and against it (goblins too).

Decks with port usually have no issue with surviving the t1 threat. It's great when paired with waste (obviously) as 4 more pieces of mana disruption to out manascrew them if it comes to that race. They not only mess with colored manabases and prevent sorcery speed spells from ever being cast, but also strain the opposing waste opportunites and thereby increasing the chance for the opponent's misplays. It is also critical in resolving spells on your mainphase when you eot port a U source and port again on your turn. They can go for casting brainstorm or save it and hope they don't need to force something. I have had many tnn pitched to force doing this. Port is great at fighting tnn.

It depends what colors they are on, how many cards in hand, and board state in order to properly port. Porting a port is nice eot if they hit a basic source you need in main phase. I have lost a few where my green or red source was held hostage. >4 lands don't port in upkeep unless you need to stop a double color (JTMS,TNN, CB, Moat). Eot port can take them off hard casting force and cost them CA. It is also valuable for threatening a brainstorm lock when they have a fetch up because commiting a waste here can really hurt without your own recurrsion.

In a nontaxing strat it sucks. Tempo decks run on very low curve and having too many colorless sources prevents your delvers from ever hitting the field and can force more muligans to have a playable hand soley based on colors. If you have a tempo-ish deck it would have to run basics. You saw goblins achieve this only to be outclassed by the d&t strat because of the lower curve and the ability to just play better cards.

I <3 u port!
    Last edited by snorlaxcom; 02-28-2014 at 12:36 PM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

about: "When playing with it, do you find its a good idea to port your opponent only when you have extra mana or port them actively?"

It really depends on the scenario.
    I'd say that i would port only if i have an advantage on the board, or if i'm going to do a mediocre play.
    Obviously, i would not port if i'm not stoping anything (for example 3 volcanic islands + basic island and mountain vs sneak and show), but will allways port if i have extra mana.

when playing D&T for example, there are very interresting scenarios where you don't have vial in play (because with vial, the answer is most of the time: port because you have extra mana) where you have the possibility to port your opponent or play a great 2 drop (Mystic or thalia for example). On the play i would play the two drop. On the draw, i would port if i'm against show and tell with no hate in hand, I would play the Mystic if I was vs some aggro deck or the thalia vs combo / durdle decks.
    Vs lands, allways port the thespian stage, so your opponent has to combo off during his upkeep... that way, you can remove the marit lage during your turn :p

Short answer: play more with port, it's a great situationnal card that you learn how to use from experience.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I never played Port and I played against it a lot. It's one of the very few cards (together with Vial, MoR, Liliana of TV and maybe Jitte or Deed/EE) that forced me to add Pithing Needle to my Can Thresh sb.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    ... Port ...Vial, MoR ... Jitte ...
    Let's say you lost a lot vs D&T :p better shortcut :p

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Let's say you lost a lot vs D&T :p better shortcut :p
    Not really, I got absurd sb. But it's really saddening to hold double Rough while they Port my only Volc in every upkeep...

Thread Information