Thread: Storming to Tales of Adventure (02/22/2014) - 8th Place

Storming to Tales of Adventure (02/22/2014) - 8th Place

Since the last time I wrote a report, the main deck has remained in tact. However, the sideboard has gone through some evolutions. The last sideboard contained a Tropical Island, a third Xantid Swarm and a pair of Carpet of Flowers. Since then these four slots have become a couple of different cards that eventually ended up being a few Pyroblasts and Surgical Extractions.

In my last report I wrote about how blue decks had just begun attacking storm on two different axes; that trend hasnít changed. Meddling Mage is still incredibly popular, the problem with this is that it can put Storm in an awkward position if it names Burning Wish. This forces TES to win with Empty the Warrens, which may not be ideal due to flying creatures or equipment such as Batterskull. This puts us in a weird spot where we have to side in Tendrils of Agony or Grapeshot if we donít sideboard in Abrupt Decay. Some pilots are fine with Decay; I am not. I donít have any interest in bringing in a card that really only has implications against Meddling Mage as we donít necessarily care about their other permanents. I was sitting at my desk rummaging though my play binders and I began to think, ďI wish there was a card that was a protection spell and could remove Meddling Mage.Ē

Thatís when it clicked in my head. When I first created TES Meddling Mage was an issue, but back then we also ran Tendrils in the main deck. However, in the sideboard we opted to run Pyroblast as an answer. There isnít a reason the same strategy couldnít be viable now. It also spares us from weird situations where we sided in Abrupt Decay, drew it and they have a hand full of countermagic. In situations such as these, Pyroblastís versatility rewards us.

The remaining two slots eventually ended up as Surgical Extraction as a recent metagame call. Reanimator is an absolutely miserable match-up for us, on top of that Reanimator has been crushing Legacy top 8ís all around. I believe that we need to stop thinking that we canít have dedicated hate for match-ups that require them. Not to mention that Surgical has implications in other match-ups such as the Storm mirror or Dredge.

The trip down to Caffreyís in Pennsylvania wasnít as bad as his first event, where I spent most of the morning wonder why I woke up at six and slightly hungover. On the bright side, I did manage to top 8 as did my ride - Brian Finlayson-Schueler. Brian offered to drive again, while Patnode and I relaxed. The three of us all choose to play the same decks as the previous trip down, Brian with Elves, Nick with Reanimator and... well, you know what I played.

The EPIC Storm
    By Bryant Cook

4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Scalding Tarn

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Silence
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ad Nauseam

2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Diminishing Returns

We arrived with just about a hour before the event was to start. We walked around, chatted with friends and found the missing half to Nickís deck. The table we sat ourselves at had ten people, four of them were on Reanimator. I wasnít feeling great about this, but I was glad I had those Surgicals in my sideboard!

James Rynkewkiz and I start to play EDH before the event and a crowd gathers, we step up the trash talk a bit for kicks. During which Jim says, ďIt must be nice getting the easiest match-ups rounds one through four, Bryant once made top 8 of a Jupiter by going ĎBye, Burn, Burn, Goblins and then double drawíĒ Which was absolutely true. It remained somewhat true:

Round One: Steve with budget UW Stoneblade

Game One: I begin the day by shocking myself for a sneak peek at Steveís initial hand. Gitaxian Probe reveals: Swords to Plowshares, Cavern of Souls, Umezawaís Jitte, Daze, Karakas, Hallowed Fountain and Invisible Stalker. I draw Therapy off of Probe and cast it, I look at the Empty the Warrens in my hand and decide that its best that I take the equipment. Steve draws, plays Island, taps it and plays Senseiís Diving Top. I draw, lay a Gemstone and cast Infernal Tutor which quickly draws a Daze from the opponentís hand. ďIsland, go.Ē

I draw, lay a third land, Lotus Petal, Lionís Eye Diamond and cast Empty the Warrens! BOOM! Flashback Therapy and discard Invisible Stalker. Which reveals that Steve has drawn two more lands over the last few turns. My goblins beat Steve down to eleven while drawing out the Swords in Steveís hand. I figure that Steve mustíve drawn a way to interact by now and that Iíll use hum for the last storm I need. I Ponder, leaving a Wish on top of my deck, play Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish? Resolves. Tendrils. Steve is at one, draws and concedes. I WANTED TO GRAPESHOT! All three storm spells in one game. Steve denied me of this.

Sideboarding: None.

Game Two: I keep a turn two win hand with Silence as back-up. Gemstone Mine, Scalding Tarn, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Ad Nauseam. Steve plays Hallowed Fountain and passes. I draw a land, play Tarn and pass. Steve plays Karakas and a Senseiís Diving Top. On my upkeep, Steve casts SilenceÖ Ahem. What? Sure.

ďLand, go.Ē

Steve plays Invisible Stalker.

I draw Gitaxian Probe, lay a land and cast Probe which reveals a pair of Daze and dead cards. I draw a third Rite of Flame. Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Silence and Ad Nauseam.

1-0

During the pairings I saw Royceís name scroll down the screen. I became ecstatic, I had no idea that he made the trip! Royce managed to walk over during my second game after I resolved Ad Nauseam. We both managed to win our first round, we then went and got lunch the remaining thirty-five minutes in the round.

Round Two: Brandon with Thalia Goblins

Game One: Brandon begins the game with Wasteland into AEther Vial. I stare at him, draw for turn and think for a moment. ďIs he playing Merfolk?Ē I look at him for a few seconds, he doesnít seem like the island playing type. Underground Sea, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Chrome Mox (No Imprint), Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor (Lionís Eye Diamond discards a pair of lands Ė if I couldíve imprinted I wouldíve cast Ad Nauseam.), Empty the Warrens.

Plateau, Thalia, Gaurdian of Thraben.

Draw, attack, pass.

Brandon draws and weíre onto game two.

Sideboarding: -3 Silence, -1 Empty the Warrens, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Thoughtseize, +1 Chain of Vapor.

Game Two: Brandon starts the second game with Mountain into AEther Vial. I use Gemstone Mine to Thoughtseize Brandon. Rishadan Port, Mountain, Goblin Matron, Plateau and Mind Break Trap. Trap down. Wasteland was Brandonís draw - my Gemstone is dead. I draw Gitaxian Probe, shock myself to see the same cards and draw Brainstorm. I cast Ponder off of a Volcanic Island, shuffle and draw Ad Nauseam.

Brandon plays a Rishadan Port and attempts to Port my Island during my Upkeep. I Brainstorm in response, leaving Chrome Mox and Ad Nauseam on top of my Library. Draw Chrome Mox for turn, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Infernal Tutor), City of Brass, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond and cast Ponder. Break Lionís Eye Diamond in response for three red mana. Draw Nauseam and cast it.

2-0

Round Three: Mark with Shardless BUG

Game One: Mark wins the die roll, mulligans and begins the match with Bayou into Deathrite Shaman. Iím forced to ask myself what kind of BG deck is this? Whatís the third color? The last time I played against Mark he was playing Goblins. I put him on Jund. I play Scalding Tarn, use it to find Underground Sea and cast Ponder. Shuffle, draw a third Rite of Flame. My Underground Sea is quickly a Wasteland target. City of Brass use it to cast Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish?

Mark exiles my Sea to create blue mana to Brainstorm. I guessed wrong, but luckily my Wish resolved. Empty the Warrens. Mark then drops another Deathrite Shaman and a Tarmogoyf. Yikes! Well, I guess if he didnít have counter magic he had to have something elseÖ

I swing, blocks happen but Mark continues to drop creatures on the table. I lose the game with Mark at three life.

Sideboarding: -1 Empty the Warrens, +1 Tendrils of Agony.

Game Two: Gemstone Mine, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Burning Wish? Empty the Warrens.

Game Three: Mark sighs as he looks at his initial seven but opts to keep. He plays an Underground Sea. I do the same, but follow my land with a Thoughseize. Mark casts Brainstorm and then reveals six lands. Mark plays a land and passes the turn back. I draw, play a land and Ponder into a Cabal Therapy. I decide to hold it for next turn. Mark plays a land and passes. I draw (Knowing that Wish was my top card). I play Cabal Therapy, Vendilion Clique comes down. My hand is literally all mana and an Infernal Tutor at this point Ė Tutor to the bottom. Draw Burning Wish, ďGolgari Charm.Ē Mark reveals a Force of Will. I dump sixteen Goblins on the table. Two attack steps later I win.

3-0

Round Four: Ryan with Shardless BUG

I remembered Ryan from the last time (And first time) I was at Caffreyís store. He was playing Shardless, I put him on the same deck.

Game One: The first game is a longer game where Ryan has the time and ability to play Thoughtseize, Snapcaster Mage and Thoughtseize me again. Iím able to Infernal Tutor for a second Dark Ritual as well as resolve a Burning Wish for Past in Flames. My Graveyard contains Infernal Tutor, Ad Nauseam, cantrips and a pair of discard spells. I draw a Silence, cast it. Ryan Forces, leaving himself with two cards. I play all of the mana in my hand Ė a pair of Dark Rituals as well as a pair of Rite of Flame. Past in Flames? Force of Will. Flash it back, leaving myself with one mana source (a land). Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Ad Nauseam (I wasnít hellbent, I had a card in hand Ė 10 life). My Ad Nauseam gets there.

Game Two: Thoughtseize looks at my initial seven which has a pair of Burning Wish, which are then stripped from my hand and removed from the game by Surgical Extraction. I guess I mulliganed all the way down to five. I cast Gitaxian Probe: Golgari Charm, Deathrite Shaman, Wasteland and Flusterstorm. draw and Cabal Therapy his Flusterstorm off of a Gemstone Mine. Wasteland hits my Gemstone and Shaman is cast.

I draw Lionís Eye Diamond for turn. Cast Brainstorm and draw an Infernal Tutor! Weíre in business. Land for turn, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor? Ad Nauseam. I stop at four life in fear of both hitting Empty the Warrens and dying to Deathrite Shaman. I leave Ryan with no cards in hand and cast Empty the Warrens for twenty-eight Goblins. I tell Ryan to just flip the top card of his deck, itís a land.

4-0

Round Five: Bob with Team America/BUG Delver (On Camera Feature Match)

Game One: This is an awkward game for me. I get hit by Hymn to Tourach and a Wasteland, I Burning Wish for Past in Flames. Bob immediately drops down a Deathrite Shaman. This puts me between a rock and a hard place, I can Infernal Tutor for a second Dark Ritual, if I draw a Tutor effect or something that is plus two mana or I have to draw Lionís Eye Diamond/Brainstorm to get rid of the Past in Flames AND a Tutor effect. I do the math, Iím more likely to win with option A as there are more outs. The goal is to power through Shaman. Instead I draw Silence, which doesnít lose the game for me that turn Ė but it did close my window.

Game Two: I begin the game with Volcanic Island, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Silence), Burning Wish for Diminishing Returns and Lotus Petal. I didnít know he was a Delver variant, I wouldnít have done this due to soft counters. I thought he was Shardless. He plays a land and passes. I Ponder instead of going for it to look for protection, shuffle, draw and pass. I attempt a few turns later but get hit by Spell Pierce. Bob has his way with me after this. Got wrecked.

4-1

Round Six: Curtis with Esper Stoneblade

Game One: Curtis is stuck on two lands and canít tap out, I eventually draw a Probe to get a look. All duds, I wanted that long for this? He was certainly good at bluffing. I easily resolve Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -1 Ponder, -1 Chrome Mox, +2 Pyroblast.

Game Two: A pair of Meddling Mage come down chanting Burning Wish and Burning Wish. Theyíre soon followed by a Vendilion Clique. Which wouldíve revealed two in my hand if I hadnít conceded the game.

Game Three: I begin the game with a Probe and look at Curtisí hand of Brainstorm, Zealous Persecution, Vendilion Clique and four land. Draw Cabal Therapy! Brainstorm down. Curtis plays a land and passes. I draw, I decide that Iím going to go for it. Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish (Bait to see if he drew it)? Force of Will comes down removing Vendilion Clique. Dark Ritual, Ad Nauseam.

5-1

Round Seven: Joe with Death and Taxes

Iím the pair down coming into this round, awkward. Although, I was in eighth place coming in and Joe was eighteenth. Nick Patnode and Royce Walter were ninth and tenth respectively. All three of us had a shot of top 8!

Joe mulligans before we start, while heís shuffling up Iím trying to remember what heís playing. I make small talk to see if it triggers anything, thatís when it clicks Ė I heard him ask a judge earlier on in the day. ďWhat player chooses first with Catastrophe?Ē

Game One: Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Cabal Therapy), Dark Ritual, Gemstone Mine, Burning Wish, Empty the Warrens. Go.

Sideboarding: -3 Silence, -1 Ponder, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Chain of Vapor, +1 Thoughtseize.

Game Two: Joe has a turn one Wasteland into AEthervial. I play a Thoughtseize and look at Flickerwisp, Phyrexian Revoker, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Ratchet Bomb and a Thalia, Gaurdian of Thraben. Thalia, down. Joe draws a plains and drops Revoker naming Lionís Eye Diamond. I play three cantrips (Probe, Ponder, Brainstorm) and pass, couldnít get there. Joe destroys me on his turn with a second Wasteland to destroy both my lands and Spirit. I concede.

Sideboarding: -1 Abrupt Decay, +1 Ponder.

Game Three: I play a turn one Ponder, find Lionís Eye Diamond. I planned on making a ton of Goblins on my next turn with Cabal Therapy. I draw the Brainstorm that I had stacked there, cast it and see Ad Nauseam. Forget the goblins! Land, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Ad Nauseam (Break Lionís Eye in response).

6-1

Round Eight: Kevin Jones with Sneak & Show

I was able to draw with Kevin Jones, Patnode was able to draw with Nicfit and we were both able to root for Royce as he played for his spot. Luckily for Royce, he got to play against Nicfit his final round.

Intentional Draw

6-1-1

All three of us made top 8!

Quarterfinals: Jack Kitchen with Imperial Painter

Jack Kitchenís report

Game One: I begin the top eight with a Probe into a Cabal Therapy to discard his painter. Jack responds on his turn with both Goblin Welder and Grind Stone. I have a turn to cantrip into setting myself up for a turn three win. Jack plays a top. Iím all in on Diminishing Returns, Jack Welds in his Painter while drawing a card off his top. I need it to not be a blast Ė itís not. I draw my seven, which is fairly weak there are two Lotus Petal, Brainstorm, Probe, Ponder, Silence and a Cabal Therapy. Shock myself to see his hand (Wanting to know if there were any blasts, there werenít any). I draw a Rite of Flame. Lotus Petal, Ponder, shuffle, draw Burning Wish. Lotus Petal, Brainstorm? I needed to hit a Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal AND Lionís Eye Diamond at this point to win. A Lotus Petal and Rite of Flame couldíve made it so that I could Grapeshot away his Painter and leave him at five or six. (My storm was almost high enough to kill him with Grapeshot) I hit Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond and a land. Close, but no cigar.

Sideboarding: -3 Silence, -1 Empty the Warrens, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Thoughtseize, +1 Chain of Vapor.

I opted to bring in the Chain instead of Pyroblast because I had seen Jack play against JD earlier with TES. Jack named black in post board matches to avoid JDís blasts, just something I picked up on.

Game Two: I play a Ponder. Jack plays an Ancient Tomb and a Painterís Servant. I cast Thoughtseize with a pair of Cabal Therapy in my grip. He removes a Simian Spirit Guide and Red Elemental Blasts. I Cabal Therapy naming Grindstone and miss Ė bummer. A pair of revokers naming Lotus Petal and Lionís Eye Diamond come down. Not too much later a Thorn too! I Abrupt Decay the Thorn. I then Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish for Grapeshot, Lotus Petal and Grapeshot for exactly enough to kill all three of his creatures. We play ďDraw, go.Ē For about seven turns, a few Blood Moons come down but I didnít really care about them. Jack plays an Imperial Recruiter for a Painterís Servant. Iím at one. I draw the Chrome Mox I need to both get Hellbent and create additional colored mana to win through a blast. I had a Lotus Petal in play if need be. Rite of Flame, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Infernal Tutor), Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Burning Wish? Blast. Infernal Tutor? Blast.

6-2-1

It was a great run! Jack got me. I felt like both of my losses werenít awful match-ups, I just had average draws or misfortunes compared to their draws. It happens.

Iíd like to congratulate Royce Walter and Nick Patnode for top 8íing. Honestly, I think Iím more happy for Royce than he was/is. Iím stoked that two copies of TES were in the top 8, unfortunately for Royce he lost to Nick in the quarterfinals. Nick went on to take second (getting the same prize as first). Oddly enough, seeds one through four all lost in the quarter finals, meaning that I took eighth for Taigas.

I was fine with this, until I saw the condition. The only downside to the entire event, Caffreyís store is large, had food & drink for reasonable prices, his cards were fairly priced and the rounds were prompt. ButÖ those duals were beat to all hell. There was simply no way I couldíve ever gotten rid of them, calling them moderately played wouldíve been too fair. They were between heavy play and moderate. As a prize I understand youíre not obligated to give away mint duals, but I was disappointed. I guess I just expected better.

(Iíd like to note that I took the Tropicals & Strands last time Ė those were fine.)

I opted for the 225$ credit for them instead of $180 cash. I picked up a NM FFB German Scrublands and my ninth foil Theros Thoughtseize.

The list was great, Iíd play the same list all over again. I know that I never got to use the Surgical Extractions but Reanimator was crawling all over the room. I dodged a bullet - Iíll take it.

Until then, keep storming!

+Hollywood+
    Nov 2003
    Upstate NY

Re: Storming to Tales of Adventure (02/22/2014) - 8th Place

Nice work, Bryant.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

Great read; thanks!

In round 7, what was your reasoning for reversing part of your side-boarding? (-1 Abrupt Decay, +1 Ponder).

The main thing I've learnt from this report is that I'm boarding out Empty the Warrens too often (mainly Batterskull match-ups), when in reality, it probably ain't that bad - especially with Cabal Therapy. Cheers for that.

Quote Originally Posted by vercadium View Post
    Great read; thanks!

In round 7, what was your reasoning for reversing part of your side-boarding? (-1 Abrupt Decay, +1 Ponder).

The main thing I've learnt from this report is that I'm boarding out Empty the Warrens too often (mainly Batterskull match-ups), when in reality, it probably ain't that bad - especially with Cabal Therapy. Cheers for that.
    Ponder is better when I'm on the play. I want to be more likely to win on the second turn, not answering something they do on the second turn.

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

Thanks for the report =)! Would have been a blowout if your round 1 opponent played that Silence correctly!

How often do games like round 4 g1 happen for you? With ANT it happens all the time, but with TES it seems rare. Oh and something seems wrong game 2:

Game Two: Thoughtseize looks at my initial seven which has a pair of Burning Wish, which are then stripped from my hand and removed from the game by Surgical Extraction. I guess I mulliganed all the way down to five. I cast Gitaxian Probe: Golgari Charm, Deathrite Shaman, Wasteland and Flusterstorm. draw and Cabal Therapy his Flusterstorm off of a Gemstone Mine. Wasteland hits my Gemstone and Shaman is cast.

I draw Lionís Eye Diamond for turn. Cast Brainstorm and draw an Infernal Tutor! Weíre in business. Land for turn, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor? Ad Nauseam. I stop at four life in fear of both hitting Empty the Warrens and dying to Deathrite Shaman. I leave Ryan with no cards in hand and cast Empty the Warrens for twenty-eight Goblins. I tell Ryan to just flip the top card of his deck, itís a land.

Did you cast Brainstorm from a petal or mox, or did you play an additional land? Or did you go off in your 3th turn instead of the second?

Btw, winning like you did in round 2 g2 is what I like about storm ^_^! Same for all the 'bait' in other rounds! Don't you miss the 4th Silence?

Quote Originally Posted by Lans89 View Post
    Thanks for the report =)! Would have been a blowout if your round 1 opponent played that Silence correctly!

How often do games like round 4 g1 happen for you? With ANT it happens all the time, but with TES it seems rare. Oh and something seems wrong game 2:

Did you cast Brainstorm from a petal or mox, or did you play an additional land? Or did you go off in your 3th turn instead of the second?

Btw, winning like you did in round 2 g2 is what I like about storm ^_^! Same for all the 'bait' in other rounds! Don't you miss the 4th Silence?
    TES typically doesn't have as many longer games, but they're certainly winnable.

It was probably the third turn, my notes aren't always clear and after awhile it's tough to remember.

I don't miss the fourth Silence right now, Cabal Therapy is just better in the current metagame. But I do believe Silence is better than it's alternatives.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    Paris City

EDIT: forgot that empty does 2 goblins per copy.
    Death and taxes!!

Another Draft Blog

Thread Information