Thread: Storming to Tales of Adventure (02/22/2014) - 8th Place

Bryant Cook

Storming to Tales of Adventure (02/22/2014) - 8th Place

Last edited by Bryant Cook; 11-06-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Re: Storming to Tales of Adventure (02/22/2014) - 8th Place

Nice work, Bryant.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

Great read; thanks!

In round 7, what was your reasoning for reversing part of your side-boarding? (-1 Abrupt Decay, +1 Ponder).

The main thing I've learnt from this report is that I'm boarding out Empty the Warrens too often (mainly Batterskull match-ups), when in reality, it probably ain't that bad - especially with Cabal Therapy. Cheers for that.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by vercadium View Post
    Great read; thanks!

In round 7, what was your reasoning for reversing part of your side-boarding? (-1 Abrupt Decay, +1 Ponder).

The main thing I've learnt from this report is that I'm boarding out Empty the Warrens too often (mainly Batterskull match-ups), when in reality, it probably ain't that bad - especially with Cabal Therapy. Cheers for that.
    Ponder is better when I'm on the play. I want to be more likely to win on the second turn, not answering something they do on the second turn.

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

Thanks for the report =)! Would have been a blowout if your round 1 opponent played that Silence correctly!

How often do games like round 4 g1 happen for you? With ANT it happens all the time, but with TES it seems rare. Oh and something seems wrong game 2:

Round Four: Ryan with Shardless BUG

Game Two: Thoughtseize looks at my initial seven which has a pair of Burning Wish, which are then stripped from my hand and removed from the game by Surgical Extraction. I guess I mulliganed all the way down to five. I cast Gitaxian Probe: Golgari Charm, Deathrite Shaman, Wasteland and Flusterstorm. draw and Cabal Therapy his Flusterstorm off of a Gemstone Mine. Wasteland hits my Gemstone and Shaman is cast.

I draw Lion’s Eye Diamond for turn. Cast Brainstorm and draw an Infernal Tutor! We’re in business. Land for turn, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor? Ad Nauseam. I stop at four life in fear of both hitting Empty the Warrens and dying to Deathrite Shaman. I leave Ryan with no cards in hand and cast Empty the Warrens for twenty-eight Goblins. I tell Ryan to just flip the top card of his deck, it’s a land.

Did you cast Brainstorm from a petal or mox, or did you play an additional land? Or did you go off in your 3th turn instead of the second?

Btw, winning like you did in round 2 g2 is what I like about storm ^_^! Same for all the 'bait' in other rounds! Don't you miss the 4th Silence?

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Lans89 View Post
    Thanks for the report =)! Would have been a blowout if your round 1 opponent played that Silence correctly!

How often do games like round 4 g1 happen for you? With ANT it happens all the time, but with TES it seems rare. Oh and something seems wrong game 2:

Round Four: Ryan with Shardless BUG

Game Two: Thoughtseize looks at my initial seven which has a pair of Burning Wish, which are then stripped from my hand and removed from the game by Surgical Extraction. I guess I mulliganed all the way down to five. I cast Gitaxian Probe: Golgari Charm, Deathrite Shaman, Wasteland and Flusterstorm. draw and Cabal Therapy his Flusterstorm off of a Gemstone Mine. Wasteland hits my Gemstone and Shaman is cast.

I draw Lion’s Eye Diamond for turn. Cast Brainstorm and draw an Infernal Tutor! We’re in business. Land for turn, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor? Ad Nauseam. I stop at four life in fear of both hitting Empty the Warrens and dying to Deathrite Shaman. I leave Ryan with no cards in hand and cast Empty the Warrens for twenty-eight Goblins. I tell Ryan to just flip the top card of his deck, it’s a land.

Did you cast Brainstorm from a petal or mox, or did you play an additional land? Or did you go off in your 3th turn instead of the second?

Btw, winning like you did in round 2 g2 is what I like about storm ^_^! Same for all the 'bait' in other rounds! Don't you miss the 4th Silence?
    TES typically doesn't have as many longer games, but they're certainly winnable.

It was probably the third turn, my notes aren't always clear and after awhile it's tough to remember.

I don't miss the fourth Silence right now, Cabal Therapy is just better in the current metagame. But I do believe Silence is better than it's alternatives.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

EDIT: forgot that empty does 2 goblins per copy.

Thread Information