Thread: GP Paris: 55th of 1586

GP Paris: 55th of 1586

On GP Paris 2014 I chose to play BUG Delver. Considering the popularity of tempo decks, I figured “if you can’t beat them, join them”. So I picked up this deck, since it's a decent match-up against a fair deal of the meta. I started out with a build that was successful on a SCG Open. It played 4 Stifle, 4 Bobs and 18 lands. However powerful Stifle is in a tempo deck, it is highly situational. So I considered another build with 20 lands, 2 Liliana and 2 Tombstalker. However, I missed the card advantage that Bob provides.

So I chose a middle mode with 19 lands, 4 Bob and 4 Hymn to Tourach. Hymn is more often than not an excellent 2 for 1. I have one slot left and decide to play a Disfigure main, because there are so many Deathrite Shamans, Stoneforge Mystics and Delver of Secrets in the meta.

The side is designed against tempo and combo. With the popularity of TNN I expected many combo players, because combo doesn’t give a damn about a 3/1 dude. So, counters and Golgari Charm to destroy armies of Goblins. Also I need answers to TNN myself, so I’ll play Golgari Charm. Against Elves I can use a sweeper, so why not play Golgari Charm. Did I mention Golgari Charm?
    Grafdigger’s Cage is also a nice versatile sideboard card, because it’s good against Elves, Reanimator and Dredge. And of course, Disfigure is there to stop the aggression of opposing tempo decks.

My build of BUG Delver:
    4 Wasteland
    1 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    1 Disfigure

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant

Sideboard
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Disfigure
    3 Golgari Charm
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Flusterstorm

I prepared this tournament by winning a couple of byes, so I could get some lunch for my teammates.
    2-0
    R3: some ultra-aggressive Sneaky Show deck. Game 1 he plays t1 Island and Preordain. T2 he plays and sacs Crystal Vein to cast S&T. I don’t have a Daze, so it resolves and he slams Emrakul. Game 2 is very similar.
    2-1
    R4: Patriot. I defeat him 2-1
    3-1
    R5: Patriot. I crush him 2-0.
    4-1
    R6: OmniShow. I lose game 1, but game 2 and 3 I have all the counters and Hymns.
    5-1
    R7: Manaless Dredge. This is the only match where I win the die roll (lolz). Game 1 I do have a Deathrite Shaman quite early in the game, but he has too much awesomeness and is able to Dread Return two Chancellor of the Annex. Game 2 I have a turn 1 Grafdigger’s Cage and he scoops in response. Game 3 I have another fast Grafdigger’s Cage and lots of counters to prevent him from Nature’s Claiming it. Easy does it. 2-1.
    6-1
    R8: EsperBlade in the VIP section. Game 1 I have Wastelands on the first two turns. T4 I play Bob. Bob never left my side that game, providing cards and dealing damage. My opponent plays Stoneforge, I have Decay. He plays another Stoneforge and I have another Decay. I Hymn him and my card advantage becomes too overwhelming. Game 2 I lose badly to TNN and answers to all my threats. Game 3 I have another t1 Wasteland and answers to all his Stoneforge Mystics and True-Name Nemesi. I win 2-1.
    7-1 WHOOHOO I made day 2!!! (Personal record)
    R9: Shardless BUG. I matchup I’d rather not see, but most importantly: my emotions and excitement prohibit me from playing neatly. I lose 1-2.
    7-2

== DAY 2 ==
    R10: I start the day by crushing ANT. Game 1 he has a Burning Wish to get Toxic Deluge and kills my three creatures by paying a mere 5 life. However, he never recovered from the double Hymn that I play t2 and t3. Game 2 I put enough pressure and have a healthy amount of counters. I win 2-0.
    8-2
    R11: Elves. The Hoof gets me twice. I lose 1-2.
    8-3
    R12: Merfolk. I lose horribly 0-2.
    8-4
    R13: TES. He manages to go off with Ad Nauseum g1. In g2 I have a couple of Hymns that take him out. In g3 he plays a Duress for protection. I Brainstorm in response, putting a Golgari Charm and Maelstrom Pulse on the top of my library. He goes combos and makes 18 goblins. I play Golgari Charm and kill all the little buggers. 2-1.
    9-4
    R14: Jund. My opponent is clearly unhappy with his draws. I show no mercy. 2-0.
    10-4
    R15: Elves. I lose game 1, but game 2 and 3 I have Golgari Charm at the right times. Game 3 I played it to kill an Elvish Visionary and two Dryad Arbors. Sweet. I win 2-1
    11-4

I finish on rank 55 !! The third best Dutchman of GP Paris 2014. Crushed my personal record with no expectation to ever match this weekend again. I will cherish my BoM playmat that’s been signed by Rob Alexander.

Big up to my mates who traveled with me: Sander, Martijn and Anies. Martijn did better than I did: he is the second best Dutchman.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Re: GP Paris: 55th of 1586

Congrats on the finish! I really like your list, but have been Dark Confidants and Golgari Charms ever been a problem?

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Congrats on the finish! I really like your list, but have been Dark Confidants and Golgari Charms ever been a problem?
    Only once did I have to sacrifice a Bob to kill an opposing army.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by balthasar View Post
    Only once did I have to sacrifice a Bob to kill an opposing army.
    Greatness, at any cost.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

Would you change this deck at all? Did you miss Lily?

Quote Originally Posted by say no to scurvy View Post
    Would you change this deck at all? Did you miss Lily?
    Liliana is an awesome chick, especially with Goyf. T1 fetch, Ponder. T2 Goyf. T3 play Liliana. If you counter Lily, Goyf will be at least 4/5. If you don't, I'll tick her up and Goyf might also become stronger.

However, I played a maindeck with only 1- and 2-drops. That enables me to play 19 lands. With Liliana, I think 20 lands would be better suited.

So it's really that choice of playing 1- and 2-drops here. I'll definitely try some other permutations of BUG, but I went for the über tempo build this time around.

edit: btw, the miser Disfigure has been awesome g1.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Great report, congratulations on your finish! But not enough mention of Golgari Charm.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Congratulations on doing so well. One question why Flooded Strand rather than Verdant Catacombs? Trying to play mind games?
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Congratulations on doing so well. One question why Flooded Strand rather than Verdant Catacombs? Trying to play mind games?
    Yes, I often include fetches that indicate other decks. Also, you practically always want to fetch Islands early game, because of Daze. More specifically, I always fetched Underground Sea on t1, because you want to be able to cast Hymn on t2. So any blue fetch will do the trick.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Sweet run Balthasar, Congrats on the finish and cashing a legacy GP!

Dec 2010
    Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Awesome run, Balthasar! The Dutch did well at the GP.
    It was great meeting you guys.

Tom

Congrats Balthasar! And thanks for the report, great read. I love the list, piloting with BUG myself now. I have two questions:
    - How did you lose to Elves? You have 4 hard counters, 4 AD and post board a load of removal.
    - Strangely enough you did not get paired against Miracles. What do you think of the matchup? What is you game and boarding plan?

Cheers,
    Wim (you beat me in the Utrecht tournament R1 where you won the byes :) )

Quote Originally Posted by wwoning View Post
    Congrats Balthasar! And thanks for the report, great read. I love the list, piloting with BUG myself now. I have two questions:
    - How did you lose to Elves? You have 4 hard counters, 4 AD and post board a load of removal.
    - Strangely enough you did not get paired against Miracles. What do you think of the matchup? What is you game and boarding plan?

Cheers,
    Wim (you beat me in the Utrecht tournament R1 where you won the byes :) )
    Hey Wim,

Two factors played a role in the loss against Elves:
    - Elves can go nuts.
    - The Golgari Charms are generally excellent, but a painful situation occurred when my opponent had 2 Deathrite Shaman, an Elvish Visionary and a Wirewood Symbiote in play. Bob was doing it's thing: trying to find answers. I felt like trading Bob and Golgari Charm for a Wirewood Symbiote and a Elvish Visionary bounce was unfortunate. That game my opponent proceeded by playing the Hoof and smacking my face to the curb.

Miracles was highly represented in the t8, but wasn't played that much. Even on day 2 afaik. I think the matchup would be fair. The mainboard is pretty solid against Miracles. On the play I'd board -1 Disfigure, +1 Pithing Needle. On the draw I'd also board out Daze and probably board in 3 Spell Pierce and Maelstrom Pulse.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by balthasar View Post

Miracles was highly represented in the t8, but wasn't played that much. Even on day 2 afaik. I think the matchup would be fair. The mainboard is pretty solid against Miracles. On the play I'd board -1 Disfigure, +1 Pithing Needle. On the draw I'd also board out Daze and probably board in 3 Spell Pierce and Maelstrom Pulse.
    In the end we were still the 2nd most played deck on D2, lol :D

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    In the end we were still the 2nd most played deck on D2, lol :D

Greetings
    ic, 15 people played Miracles on day2. Still that's 8% of day 2 vs 38% in t8 :P

Thread Information