Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help with my new black/blue deck, any suggestions?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: I need help with my new black/blue deck, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistaa View Post
    @Asthereal
    It looks very good and it is definitely a strong deck but i can't really afford the Underground seas and the Force of wills. Isn't there other cards that can fit in for them?
    That's why there was the previous question asked for your budget. Guess that eliminates Fetches, Duals, FoW, all planeswalkers and the whole UB approach as well.

The way I see the given state, I could only advice going mono blue or mono black at this point and return to the blue-black deck once the manabase is affordable for you. For both mono-decks, there are existing threads on the board. Feel free to continue in those.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Animate Dead is incredibly broken with Scion of Darkness though.
    True, but it's a two-card combo and the creature still dies to removal.
    Jace is a one-man army that generates card advantage, removes creatures that you can then counter and it's a wincon. All in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistaa
    It looks very good and it is definitely a strong deck but i can't really afford the Underground seas and the Force of wills. Isn't there other cards that can fit in for them?
    You probably need at least one Underground Sea to fetch for when you need blue mana but have a black fetch or the other way around. If you have one Sea, you can add more fetch and maybe some more basics. Basics are obviously good against Wasteland, but they can mess with your colour fixing. There's also the option of adding 1-2 M11 duals. They work well with the fetch and basics. Bad turn one play though...

You can swap Force of Will for Counterspell, maybe a third Snare or Dimir Charm (versatile card). You will be weaker against combo decks though. On the other hand, Force of Will is card disadvantage, which isn't good against fair decks. If you manage to dodge combo decks, swapping Forces for other counters and maybe some removal seems fine.

Btw I have posted another deck at my activity wall recently.. Could you take a look at that too?

@Asthereal

Well atm i think i need those from M11 i can't afford the Underground yet but we'll see :) An yeah sure it will but it's still a pretty strong deck but i'm actually not sure how the plainwalkers actually works. A friend of mine says that a creature or a spell can attack the plainwalkers so they loose their counters, is that true?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Planeswalkers act a bit like a player who uses his life to do stuff.

A planeswalker starts with a number of Loyalty counters (bottom right number).
    It can use its ability once a turn during your main phase (only at any time you could cast a sorcery).
    Adding or reomving the loyalty counters is the cost. After you've payed it, the effect goes on the stack.

Planeswalkers can be attacked like a player. The amount of damage it gets is how many loyalty counters it loses.
    When a planeswalker has no Loyalty counters left, it "dies". They say it wanders off and it won't help you anymore, but actually it's just put into the graveyard, so that seems pretty dead to me.

Damage done to a player may be redirected to a Planeswalker that player controls. This rule is thought up because Lightning Bolt and its brothers cannot target a Planeswalker. (Loss of life cannot be redirected this way.)

That's about it, I believe.

@Asthereal
    Hehe well thank you, i were really insecure about it

But i am gonna follow your advice and get those cards

Btw could you take a look at my vampire deck aswel and come with your opinion? :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I must admit that I know almost nothing about vampires, but you could send your list in a personal message. Maybe I can help anyway, or give some general advice on how to build a deck.

By the way, I would advice against blindly buying all cards I recommended.
    You'd do better to first proxy them and play a bit, to figure out whether you like them or not.
    Maybe you end up not liking the whole deck, and then you are suddenly stuck with cards you don't need.
    Legacy is too expensive for that...

If you want to invest, I'd start with "staples". Those are cards everybody plays and everybody wants. Cards that are useable in more than one deck.
    Staples from this list are:
    - Fetch lands
    - Duals lands
    - Force of Will
    - Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    - Liliana of the Veil
    - Thoughtseize
    These are all expensive cards, but at least they hold their value well, so you'll get your investment back when you decide to sell them, again.

Oh and get four Brainstorms, if you don't have them already. Every Legacy player should have four (or more) of those, even if they don't like to or want to play blue.

Thread Information