Thread: BUG Lands

BUG Lands

A little history to start you off, if not interested just skip to the decklist below :)

I played my first game of Legacy in the heart of Caw-blade Standard, bringing Merfolk to battle at an SCG open. I did reasonably well, but saw a player slowly grinding away with Treetop Villages and Barbarian Rings while holding his opponent at bay with a bevy of Maze of Iths. I was hooked. Not having the cards I needed to play the deck, I slowly segued to UR Delver, then RUG, and finally UWR. All the while I loved the idea of Lands, but couldn't justify picking up Tabernacles and other expensive archetype-specific cards.

The Legacy Pro Tour in Paris this year brought with it Kasper Euser's innovative 14th-place Bant Lands build (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ar14/welcome#0), and suddenly I had a list I could play. I finished it during the Standard Rounds of the St. Louis open, added a Wasteland to the Wishboard, and learned as much as I could in a 2-2 showing of the Legacy Challenge, and brought it to battle the next day. After a humbling 0-2 start, I rattled off 6 straight wins before falling in the final round. I lost 2 matches to misplays, and had I had more time to practice with the archetype I could have perhaps turned them around.

The week before the Grand Prix, my friend Jeff had a pretty deep run with his own innovative look at BG Turbo Depths: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=63421.

Things I liked about the Bant List:
    • Having a Wishboard. I will admit this is the first time I got the opportunity to play with one, but tutoring up Combo Pieces, Wasteland (my most often fetched/most useful target), or even an alternate Win-con in Sigarda was a blast.
    • The Blue Cantrips were excellent, as were the counterspells. The list was still relatively unknown, so I was able to catch several opponents off-guard with a surprise Force of Will.
    • Intuition is still Demonic Tutor+.
    • Supreme Verdict is a great Magic card. Over 13 rounds of play, I faced D&T 5 times, so my results were admittedly skewed.
    • Life From the Loam. I really can't imagine playing the combo without it.

Things I didn't like about the Bant List:
    • It could combo off quickly, but at times could be very slow. Without a more traditional Lands build's ability to slow the opponent down, sometimes they were able to gain too much velocity while disrupting the combo. Wasteland + Deathrite required some time to play around.
    • Only 1 Wasteland (with me adding a 2nd to the Wishboard). Opposing Wastelands, Karakas, and general mana denial were all things I missed.

Things I liked about the B/G List:
    • Pithing Needle. This addresses most of my Wasteland/Karakas/Deathrite Concerns, although I still prefer Wasteland when I have access to LFtL.
    • It combos quickly and efficiently. There is no durdling around here, and the deck goes off with a surprising amount of consistency.
    • Thoughtseize. I like this a bit more than Force for what I'm trying to do here.
    • Vampire Hexmage. Another combo piece that coincidentally eats Liliana is nice.

Things I didn't like about the B/G List:
    • As mentioned before, no Wasteland/Life From the Loam. The former I can see with the addition of needles, but I regularly had to combo two or more times before finishing a game.
    • Rite of Consumption. I like this type of effect, but as a 1-of with no way to find it, it seems redundant.

I am working on a more traditional Punishing Fires build, but thought it would also be interesting to cram the two ideas together and see what I could come up with. This is a very rough working list:

3 Vampire Hexmage

4 Crop Rotation
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Intuition

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Ponder
    3 Living Wish
    3 Life From the Loam
    1 Into the North

4 Exploration

3 Wasteland
    3 Dark Depths
    3 Thespian's Stage
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Snow-covered Forest
    1 Snow-covered Island
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs

SB
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    3 Krosan Grip
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper

Obviously some numbers are off, and the SB is largely up in the air. Things I have considered, but not committed to due to lack of space:
    Engineered Explosives + Academy Ruins
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Tolaria West
    Crucible of Worlds
    Ghost Quarter
    A white package for Thalia + Canonist out of the board
    Swan Song out of the board

It is entirely possible this is just a poor mashup of the three decks, but I'd like to hear any comments/criticisms there might be.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Re: BUG Lands

Necroing the thread, since there is a whole website offering a take on this "unfairly versatile combo/control deck". Credit goes to Lincoln Baxter, III, who did 10-5 (144th place) at GP Seattle.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Dec 2013
    Belo Horizonte - Brasil

Anyone trying this deck? Been having lots of success with a similar list online

Quote Originally Posted by renanprezende View Post

Been thinking about firing this up. Share your list?
    Looking for a second MTGO deck :)

Quote Originally Posted by renanprezende View Post
    There's a reddit with some comments on the deck creator's tourny report with a few things and another list (https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...ltimore_and_a/), as well as the report in question (http://www.buglands.com/event-result...e-legacy-open/).
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Thread Information