Page 37 of 147 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [DTB] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

I think one of the big things in favor for mandrils is that he easely kills goyf. This goes ofcourse for the moon goose as well. He will be the biggest guy on the table.
    Mole

I went 3-3 in a local tourament this weekend, losing to Goblins twice and Burn once. I beat another burn deck, Midrange BUG and UWR Delver. Except for the Goblins match, I was happy with the deck and my own perormance.

My decklist

Main
    Standard 54
    2 Forked Bolts
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce

Sideboard
    3 REB/Pyroblast
    2 Submerge
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Rough//Tumble
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Vendillion Clique
    1 Dismember
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 K Grip

Both goblins decks had a white splash, which meant that they brought in Thalia and RIP. Thalia was not a problem, but RIP was brutal. I generally felt in command of the matches until my opponent exhausted my stifles and counters and dropped a bomb that I could not overcome. My approach was to save stifles for Goblin Matron, Goblin Ring Leader and RIP; bolts were directed at Lackeys and Warren Instigators; and I countered Aether Vial on sight.

My side boarding was as follows:
    - 4 Daze/FOW
    + 2 Rough//Tumble
    + 1 Pithing Needle
    + 1 Ancient Grudge

Upon refection after the match I think I was too focused on Aether Vial. I think that a turn 1 vial
    should be countered, but anything after that should be ignored. I also should have mulled more aggressively into a hand with a fast clock (Delver or Goyf). We generally can interact with Goblins to stop their game plan, but this only holds up for 5-6 turns until they can overwhelm with CA.

Other thoughts:
    - I think Clique would be useful in this matchup and would like to find a spot for it.
    - I am not sure pithing needle should come in. It is amazing in an opening hand if the Goblins player leads with vial, but other than that it doesn't do much.
    - I daze is terrible in the matchup and should be boarded out even on the play.
    - I think K Grip should come in. It can stop vial with split second, destroys RIP, and is an out for Chalice of the Void (which one goblins player brought in from the sideboard).

My future sideboard plan against RW Goblins:
    - 4 Daze
    - 1 FOW (play) / 1 Spell Pierce (draw)
    + 2 Rough // Tumble
    + 1 Ancient Grudge
    + 1 K Grip
    + 1 Clique

I would appreciate any advice that I could get about this match, I feel like we should be favored, I just don't play against it often so I don't know the proper lines to take.

May 2011
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by WhacAMole View Post
    I think one of the big things in favor for mandrils is that he easely kills goyf. This goes ofcourse for the moon goose as well. He will be the biggest guy on the table.
    Mole
    Except when Goyf is a 4/5, which is most of the time in this format and deck (instant sorcery land creature).

I have to side with HammerAndSickled here, Mandrills doesn't quite make the cut. You want to deploy your threat ON turn one, not pay 1 mana for it turn 4. If he replaced Goyf but didn't hurt your Goose plan it might be fine. But it's the opposite, and that's a problem. You can't play Mandrills alongside either Goyf or Goose without it being real awkward, and I don't think it lines up well against a lot of the removal in the format either.

Don't get me wrong, the Delve cards will have a big impact on Legacy. But in order to play them, you have to care very little about having an actual graveyard. And in this case, you have to not care about your threat coming down early. This is still a Threshold/Goyf deck. The equation just does not compute.

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    I have to side with HammerAndSickled here, Mandrills doesn't quite make the cut. You want to deploy your threat ON turn one, not pay 1 mana for it turn 4. If he replaced Goyf but didn't hurt your Goose plan it might be fine. But it's the opposite, and that's a problem. You can't play Mandrills alongside either Goyf or Goose without it being real awkward, and I don't think it lines up well against a lot of the removal in the format either.

Don't get me wrong, the Delve cards will have a big impact on Legacy. But in order to play them, you have to care very little about having an actual graveyard. And in this case, you have to not care about your threat coming down early. This is still a Threshold/Goyf deck. The equation just does not compute.
    I am going to have to disagree with you on a couple issues assuming we are replacing nimble mongoose with hooting mandrills.

1) The only threats that delver decks REALLY want to deploy on turn one are delvers of secrets or if you are playing Bug delver DRSs (since it is a bonkers card) . There have been few games where I want to lead with a turn one mongoose because quite honestly its not much of a threat turn one through three- it can get chumped by DRS, MOM, stoneforge, Thalia etc...

2) After playtesting with hooting madrills, it really doesn't have much problem with your own goyfs- oftentimes your opponent will have a land, instant, creature/sorcery in their graveyard from your stifles, wastelands, bolts or their own cantrips/ fetchlands.

3) Mandrills lines up well with almost ALL the creature removal in the format except for STP. It beats bolt, disfigure and abrupt decay which are arguably (with STP)the 4 biggest removal cards in the format.
    Last edited by Emo; 09-15-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: meh

May 2011
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Emo View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you on a couple issues assuming we are replacing nimble mongoose with hooting mandrills.

1) The only threats that delver decks REALLY want to deploy on turn one are delvers of secrets or if you are playing Bug delver DRSs (since it is a bonkers card) . There have been few games where I want to lead with a turn one mongoose because quite honestly its not much of a threat turn one through three- it can get chumped by DRS, MOM, stoneforge, Thalia etc...

2) After playtesting with hooting madrills, it really doesn't have much problem with your own goyfs- oftentimes your opponent will have a land, instant, creature/sorcery in their graveyard from your stifles, wastelands, bolts or their own cantrips/ fetchlands.

3) Mandrills lines up well with almost ALL the creature removal in the format except for STP. It beats bolt, disfigure and abrupt decay which are arguably (with STP)the 4 biggest removal cards in the format.
    1) Sure, Delver is our best creature to run out turn 1, but that doesn't meant you DON'T play Goose if you have no other action or with a Force/Daze hand in the absence of Delver. You need your threat in play asap, and when you only draw 1, and it's Hooting Mandrills, you're going to be hooting and hollering in frustration. To extrapolate this further, there are a handful of games where we will simply sit back and hold up Countermagic in a blue/combo matchup. In this case, our graveyard will be low, and our mana choked. A 1-2 mana threat is a far better path to victory here than a 6-mana empty graveyard sadfaced ape. There will be times you can resolve him at an ideal time, but there will be times when you have no other threat, a slow hand without cantrips/fetches, and your graveyard is too small. I'll take a 1/1 Shroud that still beats down over a dead card in hand in that case, especially since our plan is to stop their plan, and thus remove such silly blockades as DRS or Thalia.

2) Fair enough. I haven't tested the card and don't plan to, so I'm the fool on this front. But I'll still take my blind snap-assessment of a graveyard-eating card in a threshold-centered deck. Oftentimes does not equate to all the times.

3) ALL the creature removal includes things like Jace's -1, Liliana's -2, Submerge, Terminus, Verdict, Council's Judgement, Toxic Deluge, as well as stuff like Rest in Peace and Deathrite Shaman, which can eat your mana to cast the threat in the first place once they figure out what you're up to. If we're just talking about targeted removal though, what lines up better than the Delving Ape? A Nimble Mongoose.

So if we're talking about replacing Mongoose with Mandrills, it's a bit of a different story, but you're still looking at having to eat your whole yard to resolve it, which will enough of the time be a problem for your hungry Goyf. But mostly, if we're talking about losing a Shroud Nacatl for a weaker Tombstalker, we are talking about a major change. Shroud on Goose is an absolute house in some very relevant matchups. I don't think Shroud for +1/+1 and trample is particularly close in this format, and that's assuming Mandrills actually cost G. Which, it doesn't, and rarely will. And never on turn 1.

I personally have played many a turn 1 Goose. I may not like it, and it may not be nearly as great as a turn 1 Delver, but it's often our best play. And it often represents 4 unblocked damage before you build a better Mongoose and close the doors. Mandrills will rot in your hand FAR too long to be a RUG Delverable threat in my opinion.

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

1) Sure, Delver is our best creature to run out turn 1, but that doesn't meant you DON'T play Goose if you have no other action or with a Force/Daze hand in the absence of Delver. You need your threat in play asap, and when you only draw 1, and it's Hooting Mandrills, you're going to be hooting and hollering in frustration. To extrapolate this further, there are a handful of games where we will simply sit back and hold up Countermagic in a blue/combo matchup. In this case, our graveyard will be low, and our mana choked. A 1-2 mana threat is a far better path to victory here than a 6-mana empty graveyard sadfaced ape. There will be times you can resolve him at an ideal time, but there will be times when you have no other threat, a slow hand without cantrips/fetches, and your graveyard is too small. I'll take a 1/1 Shroud that still beats down over a dead card in hand in that case, especially since our plan is to stop their plan, and thus remove such silly blockades as DRS or Thalia.

2) Fair enough. I haven't tested the card and don't plan to, so I'm the fool on this front. But I'll still take my blind snap-assessment of a graveyard-eating card in a threshold-centered deck. Oftentimes does not equate to all the times.

3) ALL the creature removal includes things like Jace's -1, Liliana's -2, Submerge, Terminus, Verdict, Council's Judgement, Toxic Deluge, as well as stuff like Rest in Peace and Deathrite Shaman, which can eat your mana to cast the threat in the first place once they figure out what you're up to. If we're just talking about targeted removal though, what lines up better than the Delving Ape? A Nimble Mongoose.

So if we're talking about replacing Mongoose with Mandrills, it's a bit of a different story, but you're still looking at having to eat your whole yard to resolve it, which will enough of the time be a problem for your hungry Goyf. But mostly, if we're talking about losing a Shroud Nacatl for a weaker Tombstalker, we are talking about a major change. Shroud on Goose is an absolute house in some very relevant matchups. I don't think Shroud for +1/+1 and trample is particularly close in this format, and that's assuming Mandrills actually cost G. Which, it doesn't, and rarely will. And never on turn 1.

I personally have played many a turn 1 Goose. I may not like it, and it may not be nearly as great as a turn 1 Delver, but it's often our best play. And it often represents 4 unblocked damage before you build a better Mongoose and close the doors. Mandrills will rot in your hand FAR too long to be a RUG Delverable threat in my opinion.
    I think one important caveat to the recent arguments for Hooting Mandrills is the inclusion of gitaxian probe and possibly thought scour in RUG's stocklist (Probe is just better at getting information and is amazing for the tempo plan of RUG). Probe really does make this card much more applicable in RUG Delver- If you do not have a turn one delver- a turn one probe becomes a very real play as it will tell you whether or not to hold up mana for stifle, bolt, spell pierce etc... Also in playtesting, I found probe really does make the difference of getting a Mandrills down turn 2-3 as opposed to turn 3-4. Playtest the card or goldfish the deck a couple times running 3-4 probes and 3 Mandrills. I would disagree about this card rotting in your hand. RUG, moreso than almost anyother deck in the format, except dredge variants, has an uncanny ability to get 5 cards in the graveyard by turn 3 without a problem. In most all cases, I was able to cast Mandrills as a turn 3 threat by paying only G.

Your argument about creature removal really only includes two other options MAYBE three in Jaces -1, Submerge and dismember (I feel that is a corner case for dismember). lilianna's -2, toxic deluge, terminus, verdict, council's judgment all kill goose just as much as they kill Mandrills, In fact, mandrills evades other "marginal removal cards" like engineered explosives, pernicious deed, flashing in V clique to ambush block... My original argument was that it evades 3 of the 4 most effecient And widely targeted removal spells. But if you think about it, Mandrills is marginally better at evading mass removal spells due to its 4 toughness and its 6 cmc.

It is exactly the +1/+1 and trample that make this card relevant. I will give you the fact that this card is bad against miracles, and this matchup may well make this card unplayable since Miracles is so goddam popular these days, BUT that being said, it makes your midrange matchups better. Trample becomes relevant against creatures like V. clique, True Name nemesis, Delver, Lingering souls, Blood Braid Elf, and if you manage to kill stoneforge mystic, it gives you the option to trade with the germ token on batterskull stopping batterskull shenanigans until they have the requisite lands to redploy it. These are all creatures that are played in midrange decks and this is where I think Mandrill shines over the 'Ole goose.

My assessment of this card is that it is a strict upgrade in midrange matchups, but against miracles and perhaps other white heavy decks it may be less strong.

Emo, do you think the over all better performance against other decks could make the mandril version (without moon goose) play a more focused sideboard against the harder matchups?
    I aggre that bounce after board might be a problem.

Mole

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

Quote Originally Posted by WhacAMole View Post
    Emo, do you think the over all better performance against other decks could make the mandril version (without moon goose) play a more focused sideboard against the harder matchups?
    I aggre that bounce after board might be a problem.

Mole
    I would say yes, null rod comes to mind but ultimately between pyro blast extra counter magic- k grip/ancient grudge and submerge we don't have much wiggle room for sb 2 maybe 3 cards

Esq.
    Sep 2010
    Toronto, Ontario

I think one important caveat to the recent arguments for Hooting Mandrills is the inclusion of gitaxian probe and possibly thought scour in RUG's stocklist (Probe is just better at getting information and is amazing for the tempo plan of RUG). Probe really does make this card much more applicable in RUG Delver- If you do not have a turn one delver- a turn one probe becomes a very real play as it will tell you whether or not to hold up mana for stifle, bolt, spell pierce etc... Also in playtesting, I found probe really does make the difference of getting a Mandrills down turn 2-3 as opposed to turn 3-4. Playtest the card or goldfish the deck a couple times running 3-4 probes and 3 Mandrills. I would disagree about this card rotting in your hand. RUG, moreso than almost anyother deck in the format, except dredge variants, has an uncanny ability to get 5 cards in the graveyard by turn 3 without a problem. In most all cases, I was able to cast Mandrills as a turn 3 threat by paying only G.

Your argument about creature removal really only includes two other options MAYBE three in Jaces -1, Submerge and dismember (I feel that is a corner case for dismember). lilianna's -2, toxic deluge, terminus, verdict, council's judgment all kill goose just as much as they kill Mandrills, In fact, mandrills evades other "marginal removal cards" like engineered explosives, pernicious deed, flashing in V clique to ambush block... My original argument was that it evades 3 of the 4 most effecient And widely targeted removal spells. But if you think about it, Mandrills is marginally better at evading mass removal spells due to its 4 toughness and its 6 cmc.

It is exactly the +1/+1 and trample that make this card relevant. I will give you the fact that this card is bad against miracles, and this matchup may well make this card unplayable since Miracles is so goddam popular these days, BUT that being said, it makes your midrange matchups better. Trample becomes relevant against creatures like V. clique, True Name nemesis, Delver, Lingering souls, Blood Braid Elf, and if you manage to kill stoneforge mystic, it gives you the option to trade with the germ token on batterskull stopping batterskull shenanigans until they have the requisite lands to redploy it. These are all creatures that are played in midrange decks and this is where I think Mandrill shines over the 'Ole goose.

My assessment of this card is that it is a strict upgrade in midrange matchups, but against miracles and perhaps other white heavy decks it may be less strong.
    All excellent points; however, you forgot to add how much better Mandrills is against Counterbalance!

So while both Mandrills and Nimble are equal against Terminus, people say well STP owns Mandrills; however, look how much the miracles player's Counterbalance will easily own Nimble. With both 3-4 Terminus and 3-4 Counterbalance main deck and a whole bunch of sideboard gy hate, Nimble's resilience to STP is good but far from great in that match.

Pound for pound when you weigh all the pros and cons for each, it is conspicuous that Mandrills comes out on top in this particular deck in the present legacy metagame.
    To be the man, you gotta beat the man!

May 2011
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Attorney View Post
    All excellent points; however, you forgot to add how much better Mandrills is against Counterbalance!

So while both Mandrills and Nimble are equal against Terminus, people say well STP owns Mandrills; however, look how much the miracles player's Counterbalance will easily own Nimble. With both 3-4 Terminus and 3-4 Counterbalance main deck and a whole bunch of sideboard gy hate, Nimble's resilience to STP is good but far from great in that match.

Pound for pound when you weigh all the pros and cons for each, it is conspicuous that Mandrills comes out on top in this particular deck in the present legacy metagame.
    It's conspicuous that you came to that conclusion with such subjective data.

But sure, Mongoose is weak to sweepers as well. But he still costs 1 mana every single time. And often we only have 1 mana to spare.

I realize gix probe and thought scour fuel mandrills well. And you pretty much must play them to support it. My contention is twofold:

-Mandrills does not jive well with Goyf, nor Goose, nor itself.

-Mandrills requires you to play those extra cantrips, taking away the ability to run more high impact flex spells. More importantly, mandrills is a serious liability. Resolving two in a game takes SERIOUS work. You will likely never cast 3 in a game. You can't play it early for damage, you must wait until you can resolve it to start the beat down. It is weak to daze and force of will and all bounce spells. It is softer in some ways than goose or Goyf to GY hate; at least you can resolve the other two and work out a plan from there. Casting mandrills under a RIP will happen approximately never.

These sound like minor differences but they aren't. The card is playable but requires serious commitments, and it just doesn't jam into the deck easily.

I'll concede that perhaps there is a Delver/Mandrills/TNN list out there that runs up to 4 scours and probes. And perhaps that list will perform well. But I think you both need to take a second look at the drawbacks before you start preaching about the Next Messiah here.

Jan 2014
    Germany

It's conspicuous that you came to that conclusion with such subjective data.

But sure, Mongoose is weak to sweepers as well. But he still costs 1 mana every single time. And often we only have 1 mana to spare.

I realize gix probe and thought scour fuel mandrills well. And you pretty much must play them to support it. My contention is twofold:

-Mandrills does not jive well with Goyf, nor Goose, nor itself.

-Mandrills requires you to play those extra cantrips, taking away the ability to run more high impact flex spells. More importantly, mandrills is a serious liability. Resolving two in a game takes SERIOUS work. You will likely never cast 3 in a game. You can't play it early for damage, you must wait until you can resolve it to start the beat down. It is weak to daze and force of will and all bounce spells. It is softer in some ways than goose or Goyf to GY hate; at least you can resolve the other two and work out a plan from there. Casting mandrills under a RIP will happen approximately never.

These sound like minor differences but they aren't. The card is playable but requires serious commitments, and it just doesn't jam into the deck easily.

I'll concede that perhaps there is a Delver/Mandrills/TNN list out there that runs up to 4 scours and probes. And perhaps that list will perform well. But I think you both need to take a second look at the drawbacks before you start preaching about the Next Messiah here.
    I think that you are in some poits wrong. Thats my experience with the New ape ( I play tested around 23 Games against 6 different decks):

"It's conspicuous that you came to that conclusion with such subjective data.
    I realize gix probe and thought scour fuel mandrills well. And you pretty much must play them to support it. My contention is twofold:"

I think the probe's are realy helpful in this deck they make your early turns so much effective couse you can play around threats like taxing counter and knowing what you enemies are up to is always great ! "

"-Mandrills does not jive well with Goyf, nor Goose, nor itself. "

I play tested around 23 rounds vs.6 different decks and he just shrinked my goyf twice for one or two rounds for -1 -1! I think we all know that he isn't play good with the goose together ( thats why we cut it)! Thats true that you probably won't play Apes in one round but in my 23 rounds I had him often twice on the board.

"It is weak to daze and force of will and all bounce spells."
    Goose is save from fow ok ?(wtf) and he not realy in danger to get hit by a Daze ,you play him often turn 3 and you will have often have two lands on the board. And yes he is weak to bounce spellsbut there are just a few in Legacy.

"It is softer in some ways than goose or Goyf to GY hate; at least you can resolve the other two and work out a plan from there. Casting mandrills under a RIP will happen approximately never. "

The good thing is that you can cast him befor the rip is hiting the board ( turn 2 cast arent so unusual then you may think) so you can cast befor he has the chance to cast it. After the cast he isn't affected by GH like the Goyf and goose ( it's true that you can cast goyf and goose with a RIP on board but its fucking SHIT!).

Aug 2012
    Hamburg

Hello RUG players!

I've been playing some different legacy decks over the last few years, but RUG has always been something I wanted to buy into sometime. Right now, I got the manabase and all cards except for the goyfs. While I plan to buy them in the future, I am looking for alternatives to play the deck right now (I am sick of waiting to be honest). So I was thinking of running a Young Pyromancer build with the pyros replacing the goyfs and 4 Probes (+ 2 spell snare or forked bolts/chain lightnings) in the flex spots. With your discussion about the mandrills and their need for cantrips I was thinking, that they seem to overlap with pyro. So maybe something like 4x Delver, 3x Mandrills, 4x Pyro, 2x TNN could be a viable threat base? Second question: Has anyone ever tried out the wasteland-less 14 land version that Caleb Durward presented a while ago? If yes, how did it go? Seems like making room for more cantrips for pyro/mandrills could be ok. And if you are not running wastelands, is there still merit in running stifle to protect your manabase (14 lands without protection seems dangerous), or is stifle without wastes stupid?

Stifle waste daze are very very important I wouldn't play without them. Each one makes the other better.
    I don't think the deck would work without it. I'm not familiar with the 14 land list however
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

May 2011
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCake View Post
    I think that you are in some poits wrong. Thats my experience with the New ape ( I play tested around 23 Games against 6 different decks):

"It's conspicuous that you came to that conclusion with such subjective data.
    I realize gix probe and thought scour fuel mandrills well. And you pretty much must play them to support it. My contention is twofold:"

I think the probe's are realy helpful in this deck they make your early turns so much effective couse you can play around threats like taxing counter and knowing what you enemies are up to is always great ! "

"-Mandrills does not jive well with Goyf, nor Goose, nor itself. "

I play tested around 23 rounds vs.6 different decks and he just shrinked my goyf twice for one or two rounds for -1 -1! I think we all know that he isn't play good with the goose together ( thats why we cut it)! Thats true that you probably won't play Apes in one round but in my 23 rounds I had him often twice on the board.

"It is weak to daze and force of will and all bounce spells."
    Goose is save from fow ok ?(wtf) and he not realy in danger to get hit by a Daze ,you play him often turn 3 and you will have often have two lands on the board. And yes he is weak to bounce spellsbut there are just a few in Legacy.

"It is softer in some ways than goose or Goyf to GY hate; at least you can resolve the other two and work out a plan from there. Casting mandrills under a RIP will happen approximately never. "

The good thing is that you can cast him befor the rip is hiting the board ( turn 2 cast arent so unusual then you may think) so you can cast befor he has the chance to cast it. After the cast he isn't affected by GH like the Goyf and goose ( it's true that you can cast goyf and goose with a RIP on board but its fucking SHIT!).
    I am aware that Gitaxian Probe is great in this deck, but that doesn't mean we want to be forced to play more than 2-3 copies, or that we should feel pressured to spend it early just to fuel our first threat. I've played with Thought Scour and it's also a sweet card, but again, having to run these means you have a bit more air and less actual spells in the deck. And honestly, 4 Gix Probe is not going to make a significant difference in being able to cast Mandrills much earlier, statistically. Scour is much better, but you're having to spend mana to make it happen.

The only way you are casting Mandrills on Turn 2 is with a hand that has multiple fetches, at least 1 probe, and a turn 1 play. And that's assuming you don't get Wasted or Stifled yourself. Most of the time, you are not going to want to burn all those spells and fetches right away simply to resolve your threat, and even if you go through all that to Delve for 4, the next Goyf or Mandrills you draw is awful.

This is the same reason Mandrills is weaker to Daze and Countermagic in general than Goose: If I play Goose on turn 2 and it gets countered, I still have a graveyard for future threshold needs. It's also much easier to leave 1 mana open when I'm not forced to Delve away my whole yard on turn 2 to cast my threat. Getting your Mandrills countered is much worse for us, since again, you've paid more than just the 1 mana investment you normally would with Mongoose, you've paid for that Ape with precious graveyard fodder.

While you say that you had multiple games out of 23 where you were able to resolve more than 1 Mandrills per game, that does not mean that it's nearly as easy or painless as playing multiple Mongeese. And tell me, in those games where you did play 2 or more Mandrills, how many cards were in your yard for Goyf? People are saying, "But your opponent has a graveyard too", but they miss the point where the opponent has control over his graveyard, and also might have access to any number of ways to manage it (such as Grim, DRS, etc). Your experience is a good data point, but you'll still be hard pressed to convince me that it's just fine playing out 2 threats at the cost of 10 graveyard cards than it is to just play Mongoose.

There are only a few bounce spells in this format, yes, but they are quite common. Combo decks run Chain of Vapors or similar, and would certainly play that card vs. us once they realize they can strand our threat back in hand. Jace is a pretty common card considering it sees play in at least 2 of the Tier 1 decks. Submerge is still a staple in RUG Delver Sb's, and would only see more play if people adapted to Mandrills as their primary threat. The guy playing Goose + Submerge will always trump the guy playing Mandrills in the mirror match.

I'm aware that you can cast a Mandrills prior to RiP effects, and in that case it's certainly better than our other options. But the Graveyard hate cards will generally come down the same turn or sooner than a typical Mandrills, stranding the card in your hand. Those same decks are the ones that can easily bounce him or reshuffle him or simply StP him, and the next copy you draw is a brick. Shrouded 1/1s might not be the best attack force ever, but they still deal damage. Sometimes all you need is a couple more points in between Termini to finish them off via bolts. Mandrills can't provide that once you've lost access to your graveyard. And in the corner case where you can remove the RiP and start rebuilding the GY, Goyf and Goose will likely grow bigger faster than you can actually resolve the Ape. Particularly Goyf here.

I'm not discounting your testing, if it's working for you keep rocking it. Like I said, perhaps it's good enough to shake up the RUG Delver threat base and justify losing Goyf and Goose. But I tend to doubt it. Goyf and Goose are both easier to resolve. Goose is much more resilient to a lot of removal, and doesn't cost you anything beyond 1 mana if he bites the dust. Goyf is generally going to be just as big as Mandrills for a very similar cost. But you simply can't justify playing Goyf + Mandrills in the same deck. You say that it shrunk your Goyf a couple times, but you neglect to mention whether that mattered. Or the fact that you now voluntarily gave your opponent a way to reduce your force even more with one card. This deck's aggressive draws often involve multiple Goose/Goyfs alongside each other bashing in early, and the same type of early start just won't happen as easily with the Delving Apes.

Again, if we cut Goyf and Goose, it gets much more playable in my mind. I still don't think you can support more than 2-3 (remember that Team America rarely ran more than 2 Tombstalker), but you could certainly support it if you wanted to. But it's still on average a turn 2 play at best, and look at the competition there. Stoneforge, Goyf, Bob, Snapcaster etc. At 3 mana, Mandrills starts looking like a Loxodon Smiter, which is nigh unplayable in this format. He CAN be a 1-drop, but on average he's going to be closer to a Serra Avenger 2-drop. And with cards as ubiquitous as Deathrite Shaman to delay his castability, this card just doesn't quite cut it in our current RUG Delver shell.

I'd much rather see Hooded Mandrills in a RUG Zoo list. But even then, it doesn't jive with Goyf. I think that's it's biggest weakness. If it were in a different color, it might be a different story, but most of the time this Ape is just a more finicky Lurghoyf.

TL;DR: RUG Delver wants to play an early threat and then protect it for the rest of the game. Even Tarmogoyf can be an expensive and risky play sometimes, but we run him because he's so damn huge so often, statistically being the biggest threat for 2 mana you can find. Mandrills will sometimes be a bigger threat for less mana, but will more often be a similar or less threat for the same or more mana. More importantly, he doesn't work well with the plan of "Play a threat ASAP, ride it for the rest of the game". Having 8 actual 1-drops is too important to risk having a 6-mana conditional 1-drop. You will NEVER play Mandrills on turn 1, you can almost always play Mongoose on the first turn if needed. Being able to play a 1-drop and hold up Daze or FoW is our bag, it's what we do. Mandrills is not that 1-drop.

Aug 2012
    Hamburg

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    Stifle waste daze are very very important I wouldn't play without them. Each one makes the other better.
    I don't think the deck would work without it. I'm not familiar with the 14 land list however
    Here is the article for reference: http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...omancer-brews/

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

I am aware that Gitaxian Probe is great in this deck, but that doesn't mean we want to be forced to play more than 2-3 copies, or that we should feel pressured to spend it early just to fuel our first threat. I've played with Thought Scour and it's also a sweet card, but again, having to run these means you have a bit more air and less actual spells in the deck. And honestly, 4 Gix Probe is not going to make a significant difference in being able to cast Mandrills much earlier, statistically. Scour is much better, but you're having to spend mana to make it happen.

The only way you are casting Mandrills on Turn 2 is with a hand that has multiple fetches, at least 1 probe, and a turn 1 play. And that's assuming you don't get Wasted or Stifled yourself. Most of the time, you are not going to want to burn all those spells and fetches right away simply to resolve your threat, and even if you go through all that to Delve for 4, the next Goyf or Mandrills you draw is awful.

This is the same reason Mandrills is weaker to Daze and Countermagic in general than Goose: If I play Goose on turn 2 and it gets countered, I still have a graveyard for future threshold needs. It's also much easier to leave 1 mana open when I'm not forced to Delve away my whole yard on turn 2 to cast my threat. Getting your Mandrills countered is much worse for us, since again, you've paid more than just the 1 mana investment you normally would with Mongoose, you've paid for that Ape with precious graveyard fodder.

While you say that you had multiple games out of 23 where you were able to resolve more than 1 Mandrills per game, that does not mean that it's nearly as easy or painless as playing multiple Mongeese. And tell me, in those games where you did play 2 or more Mandrills, how many cards were in your yard for Goyf? People are saying, "But your opponent has a graveyard too", but they miss the point where the opponent has control over his graveyard, and also might have access to any number of ways to manage it (such as Grim, DRS, etc). Your experience is a good data point, but you'll still be hard pressed to convince me that it's just fine playing out 2 threats at the cost of 10 graveyard cards than it is to just play Mongoose.

There are only a few bounce spells in this format, yes, but they are quite common. Combo decks run Chain of Vapors or similar, and would certainly play that card vs. us once they realize they can strand our threat back in hand. Jace is a pretty common card considering it sees play in at least 2 of the Tier 1 decks. Submerge is still a staple in RUG Delver Sb's, and would only see more play if people adapted to Mandrills as their primary threat. The guy playing Goose + Submerge will always trump the guy playing Mandrills in the mirror match.

I'm aware that you can cast a Mandrills prior to RiP effects, and in that case it's certainly better than our other options. But the Graveyard hate cards will generally come down the same turn or sooner than a typical Mandrills, stranding the card in your hand. Those same decks are the ones that can easily bounce him or reshuffle him or simply StP him, and the next copy you draw is a brick. Shrouded 1/1s might not be the best attack force ever, but they still deal damage. Sometimes all you need is a couple more points in between Termini to finish them off via bolts. Mandrills can't provide that once you've lost access to your graveyard. And in the corner case where you can remove the RiP and start rebuilding the GY, Goyf and Goose will likely grow bigger faster than you can actually resolve the Ape. Particularly Goyf here.

I'm not discounting your testing, if it's working for you keep rocking it. Like I said, perhaps it's good enough to shake up the RUG Delver threat base and justify losing Goyf and Goose. But I tend to doubt it. Goyf and Goose are both easier to resolve. Goose is much more resilient to a lot of removal, and doesn't cost you anything beyond 1 mana if he bites the dust. Goyf is generally going to be just as big as Mandrills for a very similar cost. But you simply can't justify playing Goyf + Mandrills in the same deck. You say that it shrunk your Goyf a couple times, but you neglect to mention whether that mattered. Or the fact that you now voluntarily gave your opponent a way to reduce your force even more with one card. This deck's aggressive draws often involve multiple Goose/Goyfs alongside each other bashing in early, and the same type of early start just won't happen as easily with the Delving Apes.

Again, if we cut Goyf and Goose, it gets much more playable in my mind. I still don't think you can support more than 2-3 (remember that Team America rarely ran more than 2 Tombstalker), but you could certainly support it if you wanted to. But it's still on average a turn 2 play at best, and look at the competition there. Stoneforge, Goyf, Bob, Snapcaster etc. At 3 mana, Mandrills starts looking like a Loxodon Smiter, which is nigh unplayable in this format. He CAN be a 1-drop, but on average he's going to be closer to a Serra Avenger 2-drop. And with cards as ubiquitous as Deathrite Shaman to delay his castability, this card just doesn't quite cut it in our current RUG Delver shell.

I'd much rather see Hooded Mandrills in a RUG Zoo list. But even then, it doesn't jive with Goyf. I think that's it's biggest weakness. If it were in a different color, it might be a different story, but most of the time this Ape is just a more finicky Lurghoyf.

TL;DR: RUG Delver wants to play an early threat and then protect it for the rest of the game. Even Tarmogoyf can be an expensive and risky play sometimes, but we run him because he's so damn huge so often, statistically being the biggest threat for 2 mana you can find. Mandrills will sometimes be a bigger threat for less mana, but will more often be a similar or less threat for the same or more mana. More importantly, he doesn't work well with the plan of "Play a threat ASAP, ride it for the rest of the game". Having 8 actual 1-drops is too important to risk having a 6-mana conditional 1-drop. You will NEVER play Mandrills on turn 1, you can almost always play Mongoose on the first turn if needed. Being able to play a 1-drop and hold up Daze or FoW is our bag, it's what we do. Mandrills is not that 1-drop.
    I think we can agree that there are merits and reserverations about the card Hooting Mandrills which is what healthy debate is all about. RUG delver is one of the most fun decks to play (in my opinion) in legacy: it has some game against everything except for maybe Merfolk and certain Mud Variants. The deck is not too hard to pick up but very difficult to master. We CAN all agree the best one drop in the deck is Delver and the best beater pound for pound is goyf.

In my personal experience, the format has changed where a lot of combo decks besides elves are beginning to be pushed out in favor of midrangey decks. Deathrite Shamans and True Name Nemeses seem to be everywhere; oftentimes, even if I play mongoose turn one, I feel behind if they land a Deathrite or if they can resolve a TNN and quite honestly I rather cast a Mandrills on turn 3 or 4 in the face of an active deathrite shaman, rather than have a goose just sit on the board held back by a 1/2 elf. I could have used that one mana cantripping for a bolt instead of deploying goose. The same goes for RIP, I like having the option to stifle RIP, if I can't counter it and hit my land drops to play mandrills then just lose to RIP at anypoint in the match. (We can go back and forth with hypotheticals here forever..).

Everyone is saying that goose is a one drop that you ride to victory but it is almost always delver that you ride to victory, any deck with a creature based strategy will oftentimes just trump goose before you can do real damage with it (D&T, Bugdelver, shardless Bug, UWR delver, Jund, Miracles... etc.). double delver is always the aggressive start I want, not a goose and a goyf and especially not 2 geese. A year ago, Mongoose felt like such an integral creature to this deck but now after RTR and commander 2013, the ground can be stopped so easily by just one active DRS or one TNN: this merfolk just makes combat miserable for us as our deck has zero interaction with the card. Mandrills is slower. Yes, it is, but it also ensures a consistent source of ground damage via trample. Maybe 2-3 Mandrills is not what will change the deck maybe it will require more, but like the RTR block, there will be shake-ups with archetypes onces khans is released. There are quite a few delve cards that seem pretty dang powerful. In playtesting this card against certain decks, mandrills just is flat out better (ex. playingtesting against D&T). I don't think it is fair to say that this card doesn't fit the Rug delver shell, maybe Mandrills won't pan out, but if people are playtesting and say that they are experiencing some positive results, I say there is merit to brainstorming and playtesting with new cards until it is pretty clear that Mongoose is just flat out better.
    Last edited by Emo; 09-16-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typos

May 2011
    Boston, MA

I think we can agree that there are merits and reserverations about the card Hooting Mandrills which is what healthy debate is all about. RUG delver is one of the most fun decks to play (in my opinion) in legacy: it has some game against everything except for maybe Merfolk and certain Mud Variants. The deck is not too hard to pick up but very difficult to master. We CAN all agree the best one drop in the deck is Delver and the best beater pound for pound is goyf.

In my personal experience, the format has changed where a lot of combo decks besides elves are beginning to be pushed out in favor of midrangey decks. Deathrite Shamans and True Name Nemeses seem to be everywhere; oftentimes, even if I play mongoose turn one, I feel behind if they land a Deathrite or if they can resolve a TNN and quite honestly I rather cast a Mandrills on turn 3 or 4 in the face of an active deathrite shaman, rather than have a goose just sit on the board held back by a 1/2 elf. I could have used that one mana cantripping for a bolt instead of deploying goose. The same goes for RIP, I like having the option to stifle RIP, if I can't counter it and hit my land drops to play mandrills then just lose to RIP at anypoint in the match. (We can go back and forth with hypotheticals here forever..).

Everyone is saying that goose is a one drop that you ride to victory but it is almost always delver that you ride to victory, any deck with a creature based strategy will oftentimes just trump goose before you can do real damage with it (D&T, Bugdelver, shardless Bug, UWR delver, Jund, Miracles... etc.). double delver is always the aggressive start I want, not a goose and a goyf and especially not 2 geese. A year ago, Mongoose felt like such an integral creature to this deck but now after RTR and commander 2013, the ground can be stopped so easily by just one active DRS or one TNN: this merfolk just makes combat miserable for us as our deck has zero interaction with the card. Mandrills is slower. Yes, it is, but it also ensures a consistent source of ground damage via trample. Maybe 2-3 Mandrills is not what will change the deck maybe it will require more, but like the RTR block, there will be shake-ups with archetypes onces khans is released. There are quite a few delve cards that seem pretty dang powerful. In playtesting this card against certain decks, mandrills just is flat out better (ex. playingtesting against D&T). I don't think it is fair to say that this card doesn't fit the Rug delver shell, maybe Mandrills won't pan out, but if people are playtesting and say that they are experiencing some positive results, I say there is merit to brainstorming and playtesting with new cards until it is pretty clear that Mongoose is just flat out better.
    Fair enough Emo, I can't disagree with this statement. Not trying to discourage innovation either, it just strikes me that the Delve mechanic doesn't jive well with how our deck operates. I do think Mandrills is Legacy playable, just not alongside Goose and I'm unsure about Goyf as well. With some reworking we could adapt it to our deck though, and time will tell how viable it really is for RUG players.

On that note I will be testing RUG much more often in the coming months, and I'll do my best to test out these wacky new Delve cards.

Mar 2010
    Philippines

went 2-2 last sat with rugdelver..won vs bugdelver..burn...lost to patriot and elves..my patriot match was simply unlucky.., well it has been unlucky all day since i rolled three 1's in a 20 sided dice and the other a 4 to complete the all otd start! mulled 5 vs patriot and almost pull it off by havin 3 mongoose and was able to control bskull...but ran out of gas for his bolts...game 2 wherein i have 2 goyfs..stifled a rip..but never drew any more of my crits ive lost to stps....burn was easy...i nearly won the elves match game three i never drew any removal im already at 5cards to start with...game three vs bug where i needled fetches and vendilion/tnn helped a lot here after being wasted turn 1 and got surgicalled..losing all green sources..glad i controlled every mana he tries to land.

never mind the badluck part..but the games taught me to be back on full goose set..i was playing just three..if i need to cut another crit for my tnn/cliq teamup which i really love, it should be goyf...but goyfs made my life easy vs burn..anyways

i agree with borealis on the mandrils part. it hurts our deck that plays mongoose...not much with goyfs..but then again i just hate the thought of mandrils being countered/stp'ed/bounced...it has it upsides..but ill just rely on the old rugdelver plan of controlling manas when it comes to tnn matchups.

i thought wotc made that 4/4 trample delve an ape..just so kird ape will have his new companion...in rug zoo (still has issues though with grim)

ill be waiting still for new tests results from you guys..and continued testing and healthy deck conversations really helps.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Hello!

This past weekend I was able to 4-0 my local. My matchups were Elves! (2-1), RUG Delver (2-0), Shardless BUG (2-0), and Sneak and Show (2-1). The list that I used is the standard 54 with 2 Spell Pierce, 2 Forked Bolt, and 2 Gitaxian Probe. My SB is...

3 Submerge
    2 REB
    2 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Null Rod
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Rough//Tumble
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Destructive Revelry

Against Elves! he blew me out G1 when I couldn't flip my delvers and gave him too much time. G2 I laid down two Cages with a Goose and G3 a fast Goyf with Roughs got me the last game. Submerges were very helpful G2 & G3. Force is reserved for NO and Waste reserved for Cradle. I aggressively use my Roughs. If I can score a two for one then I will fire it off.
    SBing -> -4 Stifle -4 Daze /// +3 Submerge, +2 Rough, +2 Cages, +1 Spell Pierce

With the mirror I find the game revolves around lands and Goyf. G1 I was able to Waste him off of his one-land and stick a Goose he couldn't kill. G2 Submerge was a house as I tempo'd him with a play of Submerge Goyf and Waste his one green source while I had an active Goyf to bring the pain.
    SBing -> -4 FoW -2 Daze /// +3 Submerge, +2 REB, +1 Loam

Shardless feels like a tough matchup, but I was lucky to get three(!) delvers G1 flipped by turn 3. G2 I drew all of the perfect answers to what he had. Late game he played a SFM getting SoFI with a BS in hand. He played the Sword and I pierced it. Bolted the SFM. He tried to play the BS and Grudge took care of it. Perfect draws do happen! Sidenote: GP allowed me to navigate this turn perfectly
    SBing -> -4 FoW -4 Daze /// +3 Submerge, +2 REB, +1 Loam, +1 Ancient Grudge, +1 Destructive Revelry

Sneak and Show is always a tough matchup for me since I can't seem to ever build up a enough defence. G1 he had it T2 he Show and Telled I countered. T3 he Showed again and attempted to counter again, but he had the Force. Scooped after taking 15. G2 I mana screwed him with Stifle and Waste along with a quick clock of Delver. G3 a Sneak Attack eventually made it into play followed by a demon. He drew 7, but couldn't find another mana source and was at 8 life. I drew a Revelry, had a Bolt in hand, and flipped Delver in play. Hit for 8 exactly. Very close game.
    SBing -> -2 Forked Bolt, -1 Lightning Bolt, -2 Goyf /// +1 Spell Pierce, +1 Destructive Revelry, +2 REB, +1 Clique

Loam was underwhelming and I think it will become either a Grip, Sylvan Library, or maybe a Needle. I also have switched one Forked Bolt into a Fire\\Ice and I am considering turning the remaining Forked Bolt into a Chain Lightning... we shall see though...

My deck treated me well this weekend and I was happy about my play as well. In the end I won 33 bucks store credit that I turned it into a Windswept Heath.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Ask Obama for a Magic: The Gathering subsidy while being dressed in pajamas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I don't get it, also how does that help me in Australia?

Mar 2010
    Philippines

grats on ur perfect finish! glad to know our deck's doin good..anyways, it was only now i saw a shardless list that carries equipments..or it might be an esperdeathblade...
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Thread Information