Page 33 of 147 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: [DTB] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    8TNN.dec is rough. I just consider that match an auto loss and move on. You can't counter TNN or deal with it and they play a lot of them.
    I think this one only had 6-7...but still its tough with standstill too.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    I think this one only had 6-7...but still its tough with standstill too.
    Even 4 TNN vial and cavern could beat really anything we have going on. I've played it a few times and really all you can do is force the vial and hope they get mana screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Even 4 TNN vial and cavern could beat really anything we have going on. I've played it a few times and really all you can do is force the vial and hope they get mana screwed.
    Well i did lose to double flipped delvers.

That deck can't remove anything

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    Well i did lose to double flipped delvers.

That deck can't remove anything
    Well yea but the format pretty much loses to double flipped delver.
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    How do you side against Miracles? I never know if I should take out burn and increase counterspells and other permission so that my creatures last and end the game on their own, or if I should keep the burn in to finish the game once the inevitable Terminus sweeps away my dudes.
    I think the first approach is more reasonable, as this stops any CB/Top or JTMS or EtA, but I've read that ppl someties try the fast way. Idk. Just asking...
    I would probably take out all dazes on play and draw for 2 pyroblasts and 2 destructive revelry.
    I definitely let the burn in. Lighting bolt is awesome. I know that chain (3 damage sorcery speed) is not the best card but sometimes your opponent struggles and you just get there..

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy View Post
    I would probably take out all dazes on play and draw for 2 pyroblasts and 2 destructive revelry.
    I definitely let the burn in. Lighting bolt is awesome. I know that chain (3 damage sorcery speed) is not the best card but sometimes your opponent struggles and you just get there..
    If I was running chain I would leave it in. Forked bolt however I don't think is good enough

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Thanks for the Miracels suggestion, seems good.
    On the 8TNN match: yep, it's ugly and the only games I ever won were on the backs of fast 2+ Delver. Other than that, there' not much to do, I like the Mutation to make some irrelevant 1/1 dudes out of their Swords of That nad That, but they mostly play Jitte only, so Grudge is better esp. as it can hit Vial. Mostly I don't really care, the match is autoloss, unless something silly happens. Also, they pack Vapor Snag, so it's not liek the Delver is reliable, ground creatures do nothing, maybe Clique may do a difference, but that's about it. You got 4-5 creatures, some burn... bah, impossible.

I tested some more last Sunday, and Tormod's Crypt made the ANT match super easy. Forcing them to go off without PiF puts them under serious pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by TraxDaMax View Post
    I tested some more last Sunday, and Tormod's Crypt made the ANT match super easy. Forcing them to go off without PiF puts them under serious pressure.
    I always side in my Cages. Crypt has the plus of being semi-good even in face of Chain of Vapor, as it at least eats the grave.
    Some ANT players don't even use their namesake engine, so it's pretty funny if they need to win through tutor chain only.

What makes Crypt better imo is that it costs 0. Keeping mana up at all times is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

I've seen some people that have been subbing in Young Pyromancer in the place that Tarmogoyf held and adding in 2 TNN. Not for cost reasons, but by choice. Just wondering what people think about this? What matchups/meta would this be superior and why wouldn't you want to make this sort of change?
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    I've seen some people that have been subbing in Young Pyromancer in the place that Tarmogoyf held and adding in 2 TNN. Not for cost reasons, but by choice. Just wondering what people think about this? What matchups/meta would this be superior and why wouldn't you want to make this sort of change?
    I've been playing 1 TNN main and another side and they are amazing when you get someone down to 6 or 9 life and just can't finish the game. Additionally by just playing 1-1 you don't tend to expose yourself to any -1/-1 effects. It generally improves your midrange match ups, like jund and shard less and let's you steal games.

As for why people play young pyromancer I assume it's because he's faster against combo and a little better threat against non-burn spot removal and a faster clock against decks with no blockers, he however is bad at blocking. Unfortunately a top decked pyromancer is pretty poor where a top decked goyf is amazing.
    My thoughts on pyromancer are just speculation though.

By playing him and TNN you make -1/-1 effects a blow out however so that seems poor together.

By playing him and TNN you make -1/-1 effects a blow out however so that seems poor together.
    This is very true. There aren't a large plethora of decks running that right now since TNN hype has died down, but with as much countermagic as the deck runs I don't think it would be the end all scare to prevent you from running him over Tarmogoyf.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    This is very true. There aren't a large plethora of decks running that right now since TNN hype has died down, but with as much countermagic as the deck runs I don't think it would be the end all scare to prevent you from running him over Tarmogoyf.
    Feel free to test him, I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

I do not think that Young Pyromancer fits into RUG shell because you have to add some number of specific cards to exploit its full potential. Its much better in grixis/burg shell where therapy and pyromancer shines.

One or two TNN in the deck could be reasonable choice but its a meta call. When I tested TNN in RUG it served as food for FOW 90% of time

Mar 2010
    Philippines

ive tested URpyro with main TNN's and young pyros..though not affected by early DRS and has game vs equipments..this deck crumbles easily to zealous persecution, deluge..
    im back to RUG after having fun playing UGinfect, Burn decks are everywhere here so i squeezed back in 4th goyf, upping my crit count to 13..goyf is our fastest clock without the sideboards aside from delvers, and when ur expecting theyre gonna load gyhate...then comes tnns and cliques.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

For a long time I played:

1 Goyf
    3 Young Pyromancer
    1 Fire/Ice
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    50 RUG Core

My opinion of Y. Pyro is that he raises the deck power level, but lowers its consistency. He allows some crazy games and easy wins, but sometimes he is just a 2/1 for 2 mana. Anyway, he is RiP proof and that should not be overlooked, especially if you win the first game with Mongooses and Delvers.
    I even tried for a short time a version without Pierces and max Pyros and Probes, this list felt even more powerful (and less consistent)!

A common mistake I see people do when they start playing YP is to chain all their cantrips ASAP. Please don't. Just play normally, he'll reward you for it.

have done a ton of testings and unfortunately pyrodude had its home in legacy but not in this deck.

the best pyromancer deck is ANT ;)

Oct 2012
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I'm not TraxDaMax, but one thing about LftL: it makes games against LD much more easier. Quite often all that you need is one Loam to get you som much back into the game (or even ahead) that it's not even funny. When both players sit on their one land and hope for some miracle, all it needs is to get the second land and return fetch, Waste, x land, to fruther protect your manabse and deny the opponent a game.
    IDK. As a one of, it's unreliable, but then again it won me some games. My meta doesn't warrant it (lots of Miracles and Storm), but if there'd be more Wastalnd decks, I'd definitely play it, esp. in a heavy-burn version that's capable of dealing with DRS.
    Thanks, that makes more sense...will give it a try at some Point. :)

Re: Tormod's Crypt versus Storm
    If you have a clock, yes, it's another thing the Storm player hast to deal with. One can Play around it though and there's always EtW & Chain of Vapor which should come in again Thresh. Both are handy...
    Legacy-Decks: UBrg ANT/TNT ~ RUG Canadian Threshold ~ Mono U OmniTell ~ U Candleless Spiral Tide ~ RG 1 Land Belcher ~ UBRGW Quadlaser Dredge

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Moreover, Crypt (unlike Cage) deals with opposing Loams, which happen to be an issue from time to time...

Thread Information