Page 93 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye_Mongoose View Post
    Sooooo, how about that RUG list with hooting mandrils that got 7th place at Columbus?

4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Hooting Mandrills
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Fire // Ice
    1 Dismember

3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Submerge
    2 Rough // Tumble
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Price of Progress

Seems like a wierd choice to me since Nimble mongoose is like half the reason I love this deck. Still, the result is pretty fuckin solid.
    I liked Hoots when I played him. I'm wondering if you keep Mongoose, but trim Goyf down like Jonathan did (congrats man! Too bad I couldn't come back this time and chateau it up like last time ;)

Why? Goyf costs 2, all your other threats cost 1 allowing you to keep mana up. 2 Goyf 2 Mandrills would give nice balance, and lower the curve a bit (pseudo lower, when are you casting Hoots McGoots for more than one?)

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I liked Hoots when I played him. I'm wondering if you keep Mongoose, but trim Goyf down like Jonathan did (congrats man! Too bad I couldn't come back this time and chateau it up like last time ;)

Why? Goyf costs 2, all your other threats cost 1 allowing you to keep mana up. 2 Goyf 2 Mandrills would give nice balance, and lower the curve a bit (pseudo lower, when are you casting Hoots McGoots for more than one?)

-Matt
    Personally speaking I think this list is heavily meta gamed. It beats or at least gives a better fighting chance vs some of the harder match ups primarily speaking Eldrazi and Shardless Bug. It should also improve the combo match up to some extent I think since your 1 drop goose that doesn't really do anything is now a 5/5 the turn it hits around turn 4 and puts a lot of pressure on them. That's assuming you hit the cantrips needed to fuel it since counters will rot in your hand until you apply pressure to the combo player so they actually have to do something.

What I don't like about this and the 4c delver lists is it seems much worse vs miracles which is just such a difficult match up. That match up is better than Eldrazi and Shardless, but that's only because of how good goose is. I honestly think it's no better or worse than a traditional list. The defining question you should ask yourself to decide which of these 3 lists (traditional Canadian threshold, Gianluca Gazzola's list from Prague or Daniel Sigorini's 4c RUG/BUG delver hybrid) is: what decks do I want to hate on? Those being miracles, Shardless BUG or other fair decks, but have a worse mana base. Respectively speaking that is. All these lists have their advantages ranging from goose, mandrills dodging decay and the "swiss army knife" of delver decks. It just depends which advantage you think will win the day.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Killer View Post
    The defining question you should ask yourself to decide which of these 3 lists (traditional Canadian threshold, Gianluca Gazzola's list from Prague or Daniel Sigorini's 4c RUG/BUG delver hybrid) is: what decks do I want to hate on? Those being miracles, Shardless BUG or other fair decks, but have a worse mana base. Respectively speaking that is. All these lists have their advantages ranging from goose, mandrills dodging decay and the "swiss army knife" of delver decks. It just depends which advantage you think will win the day.
    Which is exactly what I've been saying in regards to there being justification for ALL flavors of Delver. It's all a matter of metagame expectations.

Some people have been saying that "RUG Delver is dead" and has been supplanted by Grixis, but obviously the GP results of myself and others (including especially the pilots at GP Prague) proved that Nimble Mongoose and Stifle still have incredible strength and worthwhile applications in fighting the current meta-game. And in fact, part of my justification for running RUG instead of Grixis or BUG/4c was because of its perception as being "dead" or "out-dated", thus facing opponents who were unfamiliar with it or at least not expecting it (and certainly not having as many sideboard tools to fight it). I got SOOOOO many people with Stifle after playing an innocuous-looking Flooded Strand on turn 1 and passing. And Stifle won me quite a few games, especially in otherwise "impossible" matchups including RG Lands and BGRw Loam. Nimble Mongoose especially was key to winning several matches where any other creature would've lost the game.

Deathrite Shaman is an incredible card, no doubt about it. But against certain decks, UWr Miracles especially, Nimble Mongoose is often better due to blanking targeted removal. And for Terminus, you get to run 4x Stifle in addition to your other counters.

I don't expect RUG Delver to become the most popular Delver deck in the near future (and perhaps it won't be perceived as "Tier 1" again), and I expect people to continue jamming Grixis. But that's actually to our advantage, especially for as long as Miracles remains the king of the format. Being the "underdog" and not having a gigantic target on your head works to your advantage in a tournament setting.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

-Matt
    Your rationale makes sense, but honestly Goyf is just so great in dealing with aggressive decks. He's a fire-and-forget, easy-peasy 2-drop. You can deploy multiple copies in the early game. Him being a 4/5 or bigger is relevant in a lot of matchups, despite being fragile to Abrupt Decay and Graveyard hate (well, Hooters are too, but not if deployed prior). I think against Eldrazi especially where it's likely that he'll grow to 5/6+, you want Goyf over Mandrills for sure. Burn too, where you really want your anti-creature wall deployed ASAP.

The other major issue is that the Mongoose isn't friends with the Monkies; both require our graveyard in contradictory ways.

But again, metagame expecations and etc. I suppose a deck running both of these threats (in addition to Delver) would be pretty good in blanking Abrupt Decay and Lightning Bolt. Perhaps such a list would want to run Thought Scour to help fuel both critters' graveyard requisites.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

By the way, here are the modifications I would make to the deck list now that I have had 15 rounds of Grand Prix experience with the deck:

Main-Deck (60)

18 Lands:
    8 Fetch-lands (4 Strand, 4 Delta -- to provide the least information. Wooded Foothills + no turn 1 play is practically a dead-giveaway that you're on RUG)
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

12 Creatures:
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Vendilion Clique

30 Spells:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Dismember

Sideboard (15)
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Forked Bolt (or Dismember if big creature decks are abundant)
    1 Winter Orb
    2 Rough // Tumble
    2 Submerge
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Ancient Grudge (or 1/1 split with Destructive Revelry, maybe Krosan Grip depending on whether you expect enchantments to be around)
    1 Flex Slot*

The flex slot can be any of the following depending on the expected metagame: a 2nd Sulfur Elemental for lots of Death and Taxes; a True-Name Nemesis if midrange decks are expected; Surgical Extraction if Loam, PFire and similar or graveyard-centric decks are expected; Sylvan Library if there is a lot of control players and Swords to Plowshares in general; another Winter Orb if you *know* there is going to be a ton of Miracles and decks like RG Lands; another Pyroblast if you expect a lot of Show and Tell, High Tide, Miracles, Merfolk and other Blue decks; another Flusterstorm or perhaps Invasive Surgery if combo that casts Sorceries are prevalent; more removal of your choice depending on what decks are popular (sometimes a 3rd Rough//Tumble is amazing); Price of Progress if you have a local Lands player that needs to be defeated; Null Rod or Cursed Totem; etc... Plenty of options, and all justifiable.

Justification for changes to main and SB:

First of all, realize that there does seem to be a difference between the American and European meta-games, and also there's a difference between what is played online versus in real life ('paper'). So many of the changes might not make sense for someone across the pond; my perspective is as someone playing in the Northeast United States.

3 Tarmogoyf seemed to be enough, though I occasionally found myself sometimes digging for another threat in the late game for the last few points of damage. Rather than simply playing the 4th Tarmogoyf, I'd rather play something that ignores GY hate, is evasive, has a ton of utility, and is instant speed. Clique fits the bill perfectly and I'd imagine would rarely be sided out. I suppose a True-Name Nemesis could be justifiable in a particular type of meta, but broadly speaking Clique is just a better option. Its disruption is particularly helpful, but I think it's the flying + instant speed that makes it the best choice.

2 Dismember became a 1/1 split with Forked Bolt. We can really only afford to cast 1 dismember in most games against aggressive decks, and Forked Bolt tends to be able to hit most of the early-game creatures we care about with the potential for 2-for-1'ing AND occasionally closing out the game for the last 2 bits of damage. Being a sorcery, it also helps grow your Goyfs in case you/your opponent hasn't cast Ponder yet. If you really think you're going to need more copies of Dismember instead of Bolt, it's justifiable to go back to the original configuration or drop something else for the 2nd copy.

Regarding the slight changes in the counterspell configuration: I found Counterspell itself difficult to cast at opportune times. Holding up 2 mana is difficult in the early game while still deploying threats/killing opposing creatures. I will grant that the card becomes amazing as the game goes on, but it's typically the early game that is most critical for us. As for the 2/2 split of Snare and Pierce: I suppose you could go 3/1 split for more Spell Snare as the card is VERY good. But I did occasionally find myself siding it out at times, and it doesn't hit quite the same range of targets as Pierce. Another possibility would be to cut a Stifle or Daze for the 3rd Spell Snare (probably Stifle), as Stifle seemed to be the most frequently sided out card. But the thing about Stifle and Daze is that you always want to see them early, not later, so maxing out at 4 gives you the best chance of that happening.

I think I previously explained in this thread why I cut Winter Orb from the main deck for the 3rd Tarmogoyf. It's great in a particular type of metagame, but the American meta is so broad that I just couldn't justify the possibility of playing 1 dead card and needed my main 60 to be as broadly versatile as possible. That all said, it *is* a house in the matchups you bring it in against so I didn't drop it completely.

The sideboard is fairly similar to the original. I cut down to 2 Red Blasts simply because Flusterstorm seems to have broader applications. Gravedigger's Cage made the cut because it is just that versatile, and I want more hate for Elves specifically. This is also why I have another Forked Bolt in there (mainly Elves, but D&T as well). Pithing Needle I feel deserves a slot, as it saved my ass many a time in the Grand Prix and is broadly versatile -- especially useful as a turn 1 answer to Aether Vial. Submerge is so good in the matchups you bring it in, 2 feels like the minimum number unless you KNEW it wouldn't be applicable. Same deal with Rough//Tumble -- a one-sided Wrath effect is needed against the various small-creature strategies, and 2 copies is the bare minimum. Ancient Grudge is needed to deal with artifacts and is nice to have around to kill Baleful Strix, Shardless Agent, Inkmoth Nexus and similar -- 2 copies again feels like the minimum number, especially helpful if you end up facing a deck packing Chalice of the Void.

I only have 1 slot devoted to Winter Orb at the moment. Believe me, I *know* how good the card is. When it's good. But that's the thing; in 15 rounds of Legacy I actually only brought it in a few times and actually never ended up resolving it the entire tournament (though it certainly would have helped against some of the matches where I brough it in; I beat them anyways without it though). I think if you *know* for a fact that you are going to face decks like Miracles or RG Lands multiple times, devoting more than 1 slot to this card is completely justifiable. Otherwise, a miser's copy seems adequate for the time being.

Now, onto the big one... 1 Sulfur Elemental I feel is just a necessary card right now, and 1 is the bare minimum and I am actually running a 2nd copy in the flex slot for now. I ran into D&T FOUR times on Day 1, and the deck was around in high numbers for Day 2. RUG has a really tough time beating this deck without getting extremely lucky, so having a creature that can strike thru Thalia/Wingmare at instant speed (necessary if they're locking you down with upkeep Port activations) is awesome, especially seeings as like practically all of their major creatures have 1 toughness. Even still, it can be a rough matchup depending on whether they run a bunch of Mirran Crusaders and/or Serra Avengers, but hopefully you'll have timely Bolts for those. While 1 resolved copy can steal the game, it's not guaranteed that you'll find it in a timely fashion. They're also capable of killing it and rebuilding their board state. So that's why I am running 2 right now.

It's actually also really nice to have against Miracles and combo decks, as not only does it ignore Rest in Peace and has Split Second, it can be deployed at EOT so as to keep your mana available for countering things on their main phases. There are also certain combo decks that like to bring in Blood Moon. While it's certainly not a guarantee, being able to at least deploy a threat under Moon (while theoretically being able to stop them from going off with the help of Force of Will) is a nice bonus.

I mentioned in this thread earlier why I think we will continue seeing more and more Death and Taxes: the deck is legitimately competitive and currently considered Tier 1; it has game against a lot of the other competitive decks in the format; it is also one of the more 'affordable' options for newer players to buy into Legacy, especially given that some of the key cards have recently been reprinted (e.g. Karakas, Wasteland, etc.). As one of RUG's most difficult matchups, I simply don't think it's a deck you can ignore if you play in the NE USA due to its prevalence. Thus, the justification for 2 Sulfur Elementals.

At some point, I might write up a tournament report for Grand Prix Columbus (I ended 11-4, but outside of the top 64 due to tie-breakers), as I think it would also help illustrate how I came to these conclusions and justifications for modifying the deck.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    Congrats on the finish.

I see that you also only faced Miracles a few times in the GP (whereas I never faced the matchup at all). Do you *still* think main decking the Winter Orb is essential, or that 3 Orbs in the 75 is necessary? In your report, there is no mention of the card being cast to good effect in any Game 1s, and there also seems to be quite a few occasions where you are only bringing in 1 additional copy (instead of 2) in the SB games. Given these factors, wouldn't it perhaps make sense to either 1) move one of your other SB slots from the board to the main instead of playing the main deck Winter Orb (perhaps TNN?), or 2) change the 2nd Orb in the SB to something else?

Also, seems you lucked out by dodging Death and Taxes and Elves. While TNN is quite helpful against DNT, I explained previously why I think at least 1 Sulfur Elemental is needed in the board to address this matchup. I also think that with the American metagame having so many decks that run small creatures, splitting a Dismember for a Forked Bolt seems justifiable, and having a 2nd in the board is especially helpful for DNT, Elves, Infect, Goblins, Burn, Merfolk, etc. Casting Dismember is just too costly against some of these decks that threaten our life total, and Forked Bolt can occasionally nab a 2-for-1 and occasionally close out the game for the last 2 damage. Additionally, it's another Sorcery for growing Tarmogoyf.

But again, this might not be applicable to the European metagame which seems to have a much heavier combo presence as well as perhaps a higher saturation of Miracles.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

I was actually surrounded by Miracles for the entirety of day two; I even had several mirrors happening next to me. I still believe maindeck Orb is the way to go. You want a threat that's not a creature and Orb does that better than Library in many matchups.

The reason there's no mention of game one Orbs is because I only drew it once before sideboarding, which was against Burn in round three where I was already super dead.

If there isn't too much Miracles, I can see cutting the third Orb, but I just really want to resolve one against them. Given how good it also is against Life from the Loam and AEther vial strategies, three is very reasonable. If I was going to cut a copy, I'd probably go back to Painful Truths though.

I don't see any problems with Death & Taxes. Between Delvers, Orbs, Grudges and True-Names, the matchup is quite good with my list.

Forked Bolt vs. Dismember is something I toy around with on Magic Online. Definitely a metagame call. For the Grand Prix, I valued the ability to kill Tarmogoyfs and Eldrazis highly, which worked out nicely.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Great write-up, thanks for doing that. Tough luck in rounds 12 and 13. You saw a pretty wide variety of decks, but 3 Eldrazi and 2 Miracles sounds about right.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

@Jonathan Alexander

Regarding Death and Taxes (yes, I still want to talk about it): I played essentially the same 75 as you in Grand Prix Columbus, except with the following variations: 3 Tarmogoyf in the main (no Winter Orb main except the 2 in the SB), otherwise same main deck 60; my SB was exactly the same as yours except instead of the Surgical Extraction I opted for a Sylvan Library. (Oh, and I guess you could also count me running a Red Elemental Blast over the 3rd Pyroblast as a variation, though extremely minor).

So in all actuality, my 75 was probably slightly *better* configured to take on DNT, given that I had another Tarmogoyf and a powerful enchantment that can capitalize on them running Swords to Plowshares.

And yet I still had major problems against Death and Taxes.

Look, if everything lines up perfectly and we are able to counter the first Aether Vial, answer the first Mom, and land a timely Rough // Tumble, it all goes fine and well. Even better if we can get a TNN on-board to fend off whatever threat they have and negate their ground forces. In testing, it felt close to a 50/50 matchup and I figured if I faced the deck once or twice in the tournament I'd be fine.

But I faced it FOUR times and the deck was all over the place, and while I don't have the exact numbers, it seemed to be perhaps just as if not perhaps MORE prevalent than Miracles.

Maybe it was just bad luck, maybe it was just the random variations of the lists I played against that ran perhaps a higher-than-usual number of Flickerwisp and/or Serra Avenger and/or Mirran Crusader... but in any case, I felt horribly outclassed by the deck and suffered 3 losses to the archetype (the other loss came from BG Grindy Elves, another deck that is a TERRIBLE matchup but can be made much better if fought on a similar axis, i.e. cheap and effective removal).

So I disagree with your assessment that 2 TNN and 2 Ancient Grudge are enough to 'get there' (at least consistently) against Death and Taxes. I'm not going to keep repeating myself in terms of why I think that this deck is just as important to consider as UWr Miracles in terms of adjusting your deck for the current metagame, but needless to say D&T's presence and my experiences led to me adjusting my 75 to have a few more answers to this archetype.

Your mileage may vary, but I think you're going to have a harder time than you expect if you end up running into a decent D&T pilot.

Apr 2016
    Nor Cal

Given how good it also is against Life from the Loam and Aether Vial strategies.
    I was unaware it worked well against vial. Wouldn't vial just enable them to play around it better than you?

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Nvm I'm dumb (edit)
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    @Jonathan Alexander

Regarding Death and Taxes (yes, I still want to talk about it): I played essentially the same 75 as you in Grand Prix Columbus, except with the following variations: 3 Tarmogoyf in the main (no Winter Orb main except the 2 in the SB), otherwise same main deck 60; my SB was exactly the same as yours except instead of the Surgical Extraction I opted for a Sylvan Library. (Oh, and I guess you could also count me running a Red Elemental Blast over the 3rd Pyroblast as a variation, though extremely minor).

So in all actuality, my 75 was probably slightly *better* configured to take on DNT, given that I had another Tarmogoyf and a powerful enchantment that can capitalize on them running Swords to Plowshares.

And yet I still had major problems against Death and Taxes.

Look, if everything lines up perfectly and we are able to counter the first Aether Vial, answer the first Mom, and land a timely Rough // Tumble, it all goes fine and well. Even better if we can get a TNN on-board to fend off whatever threat they have and negate their ground forces. In testing, it felt close to a 50/50 matchup and I figured if I faced the deck once or twice in the tournament I'd be fine.

But I faced it FOUR times and the deck was all over the place, and while I don't have the exact numbers, it seemed to be perhaps just as if not perhaps MORE prevalent than Miracles.

Maybe it was just bad luck, maybe it was just the random variations of the lists I played against that ran perhaps a higher-than-usual number of Flickerwisp and/or Serra Avenger and/or Mirran Crusader... but in any case, I felt horribly outclassed by the deck and suffered 3 losses to the archetype (the other loss came from BG Grindy Elves, another deck that is a TERRIBLE matchup but can be made much better if fought on a similar axis, i.e. cheap and effective removal).

So I disagree with your assessment that 2 TNN and 2 Ancient Grudge are enough to 'get there' (at least consistently) against Death and Taxes. I'm not going to keep repeating myself in terms of why I think that this deck is just as important to consider as UWr Miracles in terms of adjusting your deck for the current metagame, but needless to say D&T's presence and my experiences led to me adjusting my 75 to have a few more answers to this archetype.

Your mileage may vary, but I think you're going to have a harder time than you expect if you end up running into a decent D&T pilot.
    I'll be trying the following:

18 Lands:
    8 Fetch-lands (4 Strand, 4 Delta -- to provide the least information)
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

11 Creatures:
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tarmogoyf

31 Spells:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Fire/Ice (tricky business with Winter Orb when necessary)
    1 Dismember
    1 Winter Orb

Sideboard (15)
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 TNN
    1 Cursed Totem (Fuckin' Elves, DnT, and such)
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Winter Orb
    2 Rough // Tumble
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Krosan Grip/Grudge
    Last edited by sdematt; 06-17-2016 at 03:31 PM.

18 Lands:

11 Creatures:

30 Spells:
    Also known as “the 59-card main deck special”.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

wcm8, how do you board against them? I disagree that your setup is better against them than mine, I think Tarmogoyf is not good in the matchup.

deckstats.net archive

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Dnt player checking in:

Can confirm I don't give a shit about tarmogoyf.

Winter orb is probably better against me, especially if vial is not down. If I don't have vial I have to tap out. If I tap out winter orb = ggwp.

I only really care about delver and to a much lesser extent nimble mongoose. I don't mind chumping goyf (especially g1) since revoked is basically a goyf-fog on a stick. If you really want to beat DnT play a lavamancer main deck with hooting mandrils, clique and delver.
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

wcm8, how do you board against them? I disagree that your setup is better against them than mine, I think Tarmogoyf is not good in the matchup.
    Against D&T I boarded thusly:

+2 Ancient Grudge
    +2 Rough // Tumble
    +2 TNN
    +2 Winter Orb
    +1 Sylvan Library

-4 Stifle (it's usage is fairly limited in this matchup; I'd rather play other cards. Although it *did* win me the game 1 against my one D&T victory at the GP)
    -1 Spell Pierce
    -1 Counterspell
    -3 Force of Will/Daze (depending on whether draw or play) -- my main concern is a turn 1 Vial. Other stuff, even a turn 1 Mom to some extent can be dealt with later or ignored outright (if Delver/TNN is on-board). I can also assume that they will probably draw 1 of their 4 Cavern of Souls at some point.

I kept Tarmogoyf in because it can either force them to chump block or activate Mom (opening a window for Red Removal), and unless they land a Rest in Peace the guy tends to get huge in this matchup (5/6 or bigger, due to presence of Enchantments and Artifacts). We are fighting on the board, not the stack so I side out mostly counters. Plus, since I was running Sylvan Library, I kind of *wanted* them to StP my Goyfs to give me more life/breathing room, and/or help with Dismember and/or Sylvan Library. I agree that Goyf is not the ideal creature (*especially if your opponent happens to draw and resolve his 1-of REST IN PEACE the turn before you drew your SPELL SNARE...), but in general I think Goyf would tend to be more useful than the cards I was siding out.

The configuration of your 75 needs to line up perfectly to consistently beat D&T in 3 games. Winter Orb is actually a liability if they've resolved an Aether Vial or happen to just have drawn way more Wastes/Ports than you. I guess you're on the plan of keeping more counterspells in, but that doesn't tend to work out too well against Cavern of Souls and is also pretty bad against Thalia + Port, where they can tap you down before they start their turn to prevent you from casting it.

Look, like I said, maybe it was just bad beats (and to some extent it was: mulling to 6 or 5 and being on the draw certainly doesn't help matters), and maybe it was just the particular weirdness of the D&T configurations I faced (the first one I lost to actually had a Blue splash for Geist of St. Traft + SB Meddling Mage; it was double Geist vial'd in at EOT that killed me in a close Game 3 that I would've won on the back-swing. Some of the other ones I faced seemed to have a particularly high volume of Vryn Wingmare (3-4, not typical) + Flickerwisp + Mirran Crusader (not always present in each list) + Serra Avenger (same deal), so maybe against "normal" builds of D&T your 75 will perform alright).

But you can't deny that opting for 2 Dismember is going to make your Game 1s particularly bad if they're ahead (whereas Forked Bolt could, at least in theory, bring you back to parity), and that the SB you have is not an ideal configuration for beating this matchup. I also felt like GBx Elves was another poor matchup due to lack of enough removal, and against them we at least get to bring in Submerge!

In my opinion, we are already fairly favored against Miracles and most brands of Combo game 1. Sure, we should play some additional sideboard slots for these matchups, but ESPECIALLY in the American metagame where decks with small creatures like D&T, Elves, Burn, Merfolk, Goblins, Stoneblade, UGx Infect, Delver, etc. are still extremely prevalent AND because of my prediction that D&T will increase in popularity as a "gateway" Legacy deck for Format-newcomers, we can't forget to have some slots for these sort of matchups that are definitely a bit more difficult to win, typically speaking. They *are* winnable matchups, but only if we take them seriously and devote a few additional slots towards beating them.

I would much rather spend a few sideboard/maindeck slots on making a 40-60 matchup closer to 50-50 or even 60-40 than spend those slots on making a matchup that is already favoring us like 70-30 into 80-20 (these are all just rough estimates to illustrate the point, not definitive %'s).

Now, maybe the "European metagame" is more "highly-evolved" and you are more likely to face "advanced" decks round after round, but in the Northeast US, especially for a Grand Prix where you're bound to see a hodgepodge of decks of all sorts but especially leaning towards those utilizing small creatures, you need to take that into account when configuring your RUG Delver list.

And I think my conclusions are further verified when you take a look at the RUG Delver lists (yours aside) that actually made top 32 at both the European and American Grand Prixs: they all played more slots of removal and took decks like D&T more seriously. Sulfur Elemental specifically shows up in some of these lists.

Anyways, that's just based on my conclusions and understanding of the Format. I'd be curious to read what your response is.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

18 Lands:
    8 Fetch-lands (4 Strand, 4 Delta -- to provide the least information)
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

11 Creatures:
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tarmogoyf

30 Spells:
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Stifle
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Fire/Ice (tricky business with Winter Orb when necessary)
    1 Dismember
    1 Winter Orb

Sideboard (15)
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 TNN
    1 Cursed Totem (Fuckin' Elves, DnT, and such)
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Winter Orb
    2 Rough // Tumble
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Krosan Grip/Grudge
    Cursed Totem was a card I was considering. It really does help out a TON versus Elves and D&T, as well as the occasional GWx Maverick player you might encounter. I think you definitely want Ancient Grudge over Krosan Grip though as a way to combat Aether Vial -- costing 2 instead of 3 is huge, especially against D&T. The flashback is also relevant if they have a second Vial or manage to get an Equipment on the board.

I like that in addition to Pithing Needle you're running Null Rod to shut off all Artifacts. This was another card I was strongly considering for the GP.

Life from the Loam you might find to be rather slow and clunky. A lot of us RUG Delver players have used it in the past, but honestly I think you might just be better off playing the 2nd Winter Orb as a way of combating Land-based strategies. Or perhaps even Price of Progress if you're gunning for RG Lands.

I would definitely recommend finding room for a Sulfur Elemental or two if D&T is played in your locality. Perhaps an easy cut would be the 2nd TNN?
    Last edited by wcm8; 06-17-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Giving some serious thought about Hooting Mandrills over Nimble Mongoose.

Here's a summary of all the advantages and disadvantages I can think of between the two:

Nimble Mongoose:
    + Shroud: immunity to ALL targeted removal. This and being a 3/3 (most of the time, or at least eventually) is what makes Mongoose a staple of the archetype.
    + only costs 1-mana; can be deployed on turn 1
    + has obvious synergy with the Stifle/Daze/Wasteland plan
    + multiple copies have no dys-syngery and can be deployed together
    + Aesthetically pleasing: beautiful, classic and iconic artwork by Terese Nielsen in the old border that also harkens back to nostalgic days of early MtG and has been played competitively since the card was first printed way back in 2001, along with the utilization of many other cards in the deck that are OLD (e.g. Lightning Bolt, Dual Lands, Brainstorm, FoW, etc.) to beat NEW strategies

- requires time to hit Threshold and thus be a legitimate threat
    - tends to occasionally create some awkward scenarios with Rough//Tumble, where you ideally want to cast it NOW but doing so would kill off your un-thresh'ed mongoose
    - Threshold can be attacked even game 1 vs. Deathrite Shaman, Scooze, etc.
    - dies to more non-targeted removal that Mandrills could survive (e.g. if not yet threshold: Golgari Charm, Pyroclasm; Anger of the Gods; Toxic Deluge for 3, etc.)
    - a 3/3 is a much slower clock than a 4/4. Assuming no other damage, that's 7 turns (7 x 3 = 21) versus 5 turns (4 x 5 = 20). Given the prevalence of FoW, Gitaxian Probe, Fetchlands and Bolts, it's also more likely that Mandrills would only need 4 or less swings.
    - Rest in Peace will keep Mongoose small and mostly irrelevant whereas an already-deployed Mandrills is still a 4/4
    - at 1cmc, he is more vulnerable to being countered by Counterbalance and Chalice of the Void, and being hit by Engineered Explosives, Pernicious Deed, Ratchet Bomb, etc.
    - the lack of Trample is relevant at times, e.g. versus Mother of Runes, Elves.dec, etc.
    - 4 Tarmogoyf alone is not enough to justify running Stubborn Denial
    - in the mirror, is a smaller threat versus Mandrills. Thus, the RUG deck playing Mandrills over Mongoose is probably favored.

Hooting Mandrills:
    + is a 4/4 threat that with the help of Delve, can be cost for a very low mana cost, often 1 or 2. In a REALLY long game, could realistically be hard cast for full mana.
    + is *always* a 4/4, not affected by graveyard modulations once he's been cast
    + the Delve aspect can be used strategically to deny your opponent's Scooze/DRS/whatever with targets, and can also be used to reduce the size of an opposing Tarmogoyf
    + with 4 toughness and a CMC of 6, dodges *many* common forms of targeted removal: Lightning Bolt, Abrupt Decay, Forked Bolt
    + CMC of 6 makes him get thru Counterbalance and Chalice @1; dodges CMC-centric removal like Engineered Explosives, etc. (as previously mentioned)
    + along with Tarmogoyf, Stubborn Denial becomes a legitimate consideration
    + once deployed, essentially ignores Graveyard Hate. You can often cast him *prior* to Rest in Peace or Relic of Progenitus being factors.
    + Trample is surprisingly relevant -- especially helpful against decks like Elves or DNT.
    + as previously mentioned, 4 power is a significantly more immediate and faster clock than 3 power
    + can survive a lot of the non-targeted removal that Mongoose *would* die to like Golgari Charm, Firespout, etc. (as previously mentioned)
    + Umezawa's Jitte becomes a legitimate sideboard option since now all of your threats can hold it
    + Rough//Tumble can be cast whenever, unflipped Delvers aside

- Realistically, can only be cast a bit later on once you have enough cards to Delve away. Turn 3 is likely the absolute earliest you can resolve him (and doing so might have you tapped out), whereas with Mongoose sometimes you can deploy it turn 1 and then just focus the rest of your resources towards instant-speed disruption.
    - is much harder to cast multiple copies after the first one is cast -- so probably better to play only 2-3 copies unless your list can help support the full playset via Thought Scour, Gitaxian Probe, etc.
    - without Shroud, he gets hit by many forms of common removal, e.g. Submerge, Swords to Plowshares, Jace's -2 unsummon, etc. In general, often a worse threat against Miracles than Mongoose a lot of the time since StP + Snapcaster is now at full power
    - if graveyard hate is deployed early, it's' hard to cast him at all
    - casting him can sometimes have a negative effect on your own Tarmogoyfs
    - not only does he get hit by Submerge, but this can effectively make it impossible to re-cast him if you don't have a full-enough graveyard. Same issue as with Jace's -2 unsummon.
    - Aesthetically Repugnant: Ugly, modern frame with forgettable/mediocre artwork that has no nostalgic association and is another reminder that Power Creep in creatures advances further and further every year (similarly applies to Gurmag Angler)

So I guess aesthetics aside, it really comes down to whether you want advantage against control decks packing Swords of Plowshares, or if you'd rather have a few more percentage points against decks playing Bolt/Decay as their removal of choice and want to take advantage of some of the other incidentals (e.g. Stubborn Denial, etc.)

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I'd be okay cutting Grip for Grudge, and Loam for a Sulfur Elemental, since I'm already playing two Orbs.

Thread Information