Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147
Results 2,921 to 2,929 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Oct 2015
    SWFL

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

You've got RUG Delver basically winning or at a minimum Top8 of every major event currently; straying from those well-tuned & tested lists is likely just an exercise in lower win%.

I never understand why mandrills is played over more goyf/arcanist, but the rug players win so I'll defer to them.

Oct 2015
    SWFL

Trample is a huge reason why, and immunity to Abrupt Decay is an added bonus. Most of the time comes down for 1 mana, it's simply the more efficient, resilient, and evasive threat.

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

Well, it seems like for posterity's sake, someone should remark upon the state of RUG Delver after the Labe/Oko/Dreadhorde bannings. Call me old fashioned, but I just don't see the appeal of posting in a discord. Here is legend Ozymandias17's Top8 list from the MTGO challenge last Sunday:

4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Hexdrinker
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Sylvan Library

4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Forked Bolt

2 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will

3 Wasteland
    1 Taiga
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard:
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Abrade
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Force of Vigor
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Brazen Borrower
    2 Rough/Tumble
    2 Klothys, God of Destiny

For anyone not in the know, in any kind of Uro mirror match, who ever gets to attack with Uro first ends up wildly ahead. Because trying to answer Uro directly tends to be a losing proposition, the games usually end up as an arms race to see who can build the largest and hardest to answer board position as fast as possible. Brazen Borrower ends up being a pretty clutch card in this meta because it sets back an opponent's Uro and adds to our own board position. RUG ends up being pretty well positioned in the Uro mirrors because between Uro, Brazen Borrower, Klothys, Red-Blasts and Sylvan Library, we have a lot of great tools to win Uro mirrors. For non-Uro mirrors, we have a pretty good gameplan of just trying to get opponents dead ASAP with Delver and Goyf.

Other things of note: Hexdrinker ends being pretty good. It's kind of like Uro, a mana-intensive hard-to-answer threat, but doesn't use the graveyard and can attack through convoluted board states. Spell Pierce gets played in the maindeck because we need more things against combo and there isn't any room for Veil of Summer in the sideboard. Also, it's pretty important to have another answer for Blood Moon. The deck cuts the 4th Wasteland for Taiga to make Uro more castable. Force of Vigor in the sideboard is a house. The card provides the same blowout potential in the same matchups that Null Rod did (Death and Taxes, TES, Urza-Echo) but also generates blowouts against Lands and Moon Prison. Since Uro is a card against Bridge from Below; with 3 Surgical Extraction in the sideboard, we have a pretty good graveyard-deck matchup. All in all, I would consider this list to be quite stock and is going to be difficult to improve upon.

With that said, I do have this wacky Noble Hierarch list I've been working on:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Brazen Borrower

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Sylvan Library

4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Forked Bolt

4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will

3 Wasteland
    1 Taiga
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard:
    2 Abrade
    2 Force of Vigor
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Blazing Volley

Basically I moved the Uro mid-range domination package (Uro, Klothys, Brazen Borrower) to the maindeck to free up room for the cards I wanted to play. With 3 Wastelands, a Life from the Loam acts as the 4th Wasteland. I really like playing with 4 Red-Blasts and I think Force of Vigor is just that good. Noble Hierarch really puts us ahead in the Uro arms race and can make Tarmogoyf large enough to attack into Uro. However, it is true that RUG already has the tools to grind out Uro mirrors without Noble Hierach and Hierach obviously has the drawback of not being a much of a threat on its own and prevents us from playing Rough/Tumble. I think what I miss most in this list is Hexdrinker which really shines against a deck like Maverick, which is apparently playing Shifting Ceratops these days.

Anyway, happy RUGing everyone.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by BKclassic View Post
    Well, it seems like for posterity's sake, someone should remark upon the state of RUG Delver after the Labe/Oko/Dreadhorde bannings. Call me old fashioned, but I just don't see the appeal of posting in a discord. Here is legend Ozymandias17's Top8 list from the MTGO challenge last Sunday:

4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Hexdrinker
    4 Tarmogoyf

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Sylvan Library

4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Forked Bolt

2 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will

3 Wasteland
    1 Taiga
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard:
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Abrade
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Force of Vigor
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Brazen Borrower
    2 Rough/Tumble

For anyone not in the know, in any kind of Uro mirror match, who ever gets to attack with Uro first ends up wildly ahead. Because trying to answer Uro directly tends to be a losing proposition, the games usually end up as an arms race to see who can build the largest and hardest to answer board position as fast as possible. Brazen Borrower ends up being a pretty clutch card in this meta because it sets back an opponent's Uro and adds to our own board position. RUG ends up being pretty well positioned in the Uro mirrors because between Uro, Brazen Borrower, Klothys, Red-Blasts and Sylvan Library, we have a lot of great tools to win Uro mirrors. For non-Uro mirrors, we have a pretty good gameplan of just trying to get opponents dead ASAP with Delver and Goyf.

Other things of note: Hexdrinker ends being pretty good. It's kind of like Uro, a mana-intensive hard-to-answer threat, but doesn't use the graveyard and can attack through convoluted board states. Spell Pierce gets played in the maindeck because we need more things against combo and there isn't any room for Veil of Summer in the sideboard. Also, it's pretty important to have another answer for Blood Moon. The deck cuts the 4th Wasteland for Taiga to make Uro more castable. Force of Vigor in the sideboard is a house. The card provides the same blowout potential in the same matchups that Null Rod did (Death and Taxes, TES, Urza-Echo) but also generates blowouts against Lands and Moon Prison. Since Uro is a card against Bridge from Below; with 3 Surgical Extraction in the sideboard, we have a pretty good graveyard-deck matchup. All in all, I would consider this list to be quite stock and is going to be difficult to improve upon.

With that said, I do have this wacky Noble Hierarch list I've been working on:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Brazen Borrower

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Sylvan Library

4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Forked Bolt

4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will

3 Wasteland
    1 Taiga
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn

Sideboard:
    2 Abrade
    2 Force of Vigor
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Blazing Volley

Basically I moved the Uro mid-range domination package (Uro, Klothys, Brazen Borrower) to the maindeck to free up room for the cards I wanted to play. With 3 Wastelands, a Life from the Loam acts as the 4th Wasteland. I really like playing with 4 Red-Blasts and I think Force of Vigor is just that good. Noble Hierarch really puts us ahead in the Uro arms race and can make Tarmogoyf large enough to attack into Uro. However, it is true that RUG already has the tools to grind out Uro mirrors without Noble Hierach and Hierach obviously has the drawback of not being a much of a threat on its own and prevents us from playing Rough/Tumble. I think what I miss most in this list is Hexdrinker which really shines against a deck like Maverick, which is apparently playing Shifting Ceratops these days.

Anyway, happy RUGing everyone.
    I hate discord. You can't really read during your spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by BKclassic View Post
    Well, it seems like for posterity's sake, someone should remark upon the state of RUG Delver after the Labe/Oko/Dreadhorde bannings. Call me old fashioned, but I just don't see the appeal of posting in a discord. …
    Thanks so much for the write-up, truly appreciate it! Do you have any suggestions for a list sans Uro? I understand that an Uro list is probably the most powerful option nowadays, but to me, the beuaty of RUG was always connected to its extremely low mana curve.

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by wuberg View Post
    Thanks so much for the write-up, truly appreciate it! Do you have any suggestions for a list sans Uro? I understand that an Uro list is probably the most powerful option nowadays, but to me, the beuaty of RUG was always connected to its extremely low mana curve.
    I think I would take Ozy's list and cut Uros and probably a Forked Bolt for 2x Klothys and 2x Brazen Borrower. This gives you a strong anti-Uro package and you keep your grinding power against the other mid-range blue decks what with Klothys still powering up Sylvan Library and being a game-winner in general. You could play a low to the ground Stifle build with Hooting Mandrills, but the other blue decks are playing Strixes/Coatl's into Uro. I just don't think the blitz strategy is strong enough anymore to beat other mid-range blue decks. This frees up a bunch sideboard space, I would probably be looking at Hullbreacher/Narset and Karakas to keep up with those mid-range blue decks. Uro is a pretty good card but I think what I've described could work just fine, especially since Klothys sidesteps some of the Uro hate out there.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Is there a new staple threat list for Temur Delver?

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Dragon's Rage Channeler
    4 Tarmogoyf

Was thinking of Replacing Goyf with Nimble Mongoose to lower the curve even further.
    That Surveil mechanic is too good.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Thread Information