Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
So Cindervines is actually anti-Counterbalance above everything else. You play it, and you not only get closer to winning (deals passive damage), but you also invalidate not on-board [yet] Counterbalance. Cindervines is also far more maindeckable than Abrade isn't b/c no decks play without noncreature spells, artifacts, and enchantments; also Goyf counts this card.

RUG isn't ever really coming back to its glory days, but unlike pretty much anyone else in the format this deck can stop at throwing away only 4 slots of sideboard to have a reasonable shot vs both Hymn and CB (for Grixis you'd just use some hot garbage they can't even begin to interact with, like Compost). Enjoy it, no other deck can play legacy with 11 intact sideboard slots (for the rest of the format) and have such clean proactive answers to those two blights on the format.
I don't think that you can maindeck this card because I think there are too many matchups where it's basically just RG Lava Spike.
I might not even board this in vs Grixis because it's such a slow source of damage and there are basically no targets to hit with the ability.
But I do like that it has very strong anti-control applications vs CB and B2B (and the trigger) and it can come down for 2 mana before a Moon or a Trinisphere.
Looks worth testing but I seriously doubt the correct decision is to jam 4 in the board lol