Page 36 of 147 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [DTB] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Is it maybe time to start talking about Young Pyromancer again? If we're going to run Mandrills, and obviously we don't want to run 4 as they cannibalize each other, and we're probably looking to go up to 3 or 4 Git Probes to support delving, it seems like 2-3 young pyromancers would synergize well.

Given that we are talking about delve cards, does anyone think ether of the 2 new delve draw spells are worth it here?
    Once again they conflict pretty hard with mongoose, but 1 mana draw 3's are pretty powerful, and a 2 mana look at the top 7 pick 2 is a pretty powerful effect as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

Esq.
    Sep 2010
    Toronto, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    And Chalice...
    Dude, Chalice equally affects Mongoose. Bad argument.

Speaking of which: if no other good came from this card than that it becomes a Tarmogoyf Lite, it'll be still pretty nice. All those Legacy initiates will have a dude to play with.
    Not really. Again, this cannot be emphasized enough, Nimble Mongoose is not playable in the same deck as Hooting Mandrills! So for the casual players that cannot afford Tarmogoyf, this is still, nonetheless, a really bad idea!
    To be the man, you gotta beat the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Attorney View Post
    Dude, Chalice equally affects Mongoose. Bad argument.
    You would need a chalice on 6 to stop howling mondrells. So no they aren't effected equally
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

Mar 2010
    Philippines

upon testing (simulated goose as proxy) i dont think MANDRILS will make the cut for our 60.. here's some points
    1. cant cast it on turn 1 unlike mongoose. mongoose and mandrils too will not co-exist.
    2. by replacing mongoose..instead of countering other impt things, im much more focused on protecting my Mandril clock..and this can easily fold to hate mentioned above...stp, dismember, submerges etc...
    3. im seeing a teamup with goyf for fast beats, loses to a resolved rip..well, by the time we can hard cast mandrils..the game has already a clear outcome of who's winning or not.
    4. though im excited upon seeing mandrils at first, shroud ability of goose that won us many games is just so hard to replace considering we're running a very low count of critters at 12.

i'll be running a few more tests with team8s this weekend, see where it goes..
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

Im little bit excited about using Adamant Negation ( http://leviatanmtg.com/Khans-of-Tark...Negation/34000 ) instead of Spell Pierce together with goyfs and Hooting Mandrills (instead of goose) to protect them or to counter noncreature spells. What do you think?

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Playtested against my friend with Merfolks (the new kind, with 4 TNN and Chalice of the Void maindeck) and got DESTROYED. Not even those Red Elemental Blasts could put up a fight against his deck. He also plays 3 Dismembers and 3 Submerges in his 75 (I think 3 Dismembers MB and 3 Submerges SB) to slam the door in my face.

We played 5 Best of 3 matches, and I won only 1. It was something like: 0-2, 0-2, 1-2, 0-2, 2-1.

The games I won I had a fast Delver, or double Delver, or wasted his Cavern of Souls and he couldn't reach UU. In the game I had double Delver, I could swing for 12 damage, then he Submerged one, Dismembered the other, but double Bolt sealed the deal. I could Force of Will AEther Vial three times in those matches, but it wasn't that relevant. Once they assemble Chalice of the Void, or do some shenanigans with AEther Vial into lord, to blank my Lightning Bolt, we're pretty screwed.

Vendilion Clique was useful, not stellar. I was able to steal a TNN in response of an activated Vial @3.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

I have playtested a couple games with Mandrills and he seemed to work well in the matchups I tested against- BUT- the big difference is I ran 3 of him main and my flex spots, which now are at 7, were 1 Thought scour, 3 Gitaxian probes, 2 spell pierces and 1 forked bolt. The Gitaxian probes are necessary because they really make an impact turn one and that extra card in the yard (not to mention information for stifle/spell pierce shenanigans) meant the difference of dropping mandrills turn 2-3 as opposed to turn 3-4 in almost everygame when I had him. I think if I had done a flex of 2 spell snare, 2 Forked bolt and 2 spell pierces, the Mandrills wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

Secondly, he shines in certain matchups but seems less optimal in others.
    I really like him against BUG decks- if they don't have a goyf out quickly with enough cards in the yard, Mandrills often starts spamming some serious damage and more often than not my opponent had active deathrite and goyf which made using deathrite very difficult after I had dropped mandrills: goyf was almost always a 3/4 in these games. Lastly, in many games it felt like mandrills just blanked TNN

The matchup where I oftentime wanted a mongoose more than this guy was miracles. 1) someone posted in the Khans thread that this still can be countered by counterbalance, I seriously wonder sometimes... Anyways back to my main point: there were a few games where they got an early top and I was able to resolve him BUT more often than not the threat of STPs with having snapcasters to back up the STPs felt more of an issue and this is the matchup where I think Mongoose is just straight up better.

Have not yet tested against Jund or Deathblade or UWR delver.

Anyways my thoughts are this. This card NEEDs more playtesting, and the Flex cards in the Deck make a HUGE difference in terms of synergy. Against Miracles I was always wishing I had a turn aside rather than a spell pierce in hand, since now all our threats can be STP but yea I think this card is interesting, WOULD LOVE for it to have 5 toughness but maybe that is asking too much.
    Last edited by Emo; 09-12-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

If Mandrills prove to be successful in playtesting, can we open 3 sideboard slots for Nimble Mongoose, mainly to deal with Miracles? It's by far the most relevant threat in the matchup.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    If Mandrills prove to be successful in playtesting, can we open 3 sideboard slots for Nimble Mongoose, mainly to deal with Miracles? It's by far the most relevant threat in the matchup.
    If you're siding a threat specifically for Miracles, I generally like Sulfuric Vortex the best. It's helpful in beating most midrange matchups.

Jan 2014
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Emo View Post
    I have playtested a couple games with Mandrills and he seemed to work well in the matchups I tested against- BUT- the big difference is I ran 3 of him main and my flex spots, which now are at 7, were 1 Thought scour, 3 Gitaxian probes, 2 spell pierces and 1 forked bolt. The Gitaxian probes are necessary because they really make an impact turn one and that extra card in the yard (not to mention information for stifle/spell pierce shenanigans) meant the difference of dropping mandrills turn 2-3 as opposed to turn 3-4 in almost everygame when I had him. I think if I had done a flex of 2 spell snare, 2 Forked bolt and 2 spell pierces, the Mandrills wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

Secondly, he shines in certain matchups but seems less optimal in others.
    I really like him against BUG decks- if they don't have a goyf out quickly with enough cards in the yard, Mandrills often starts spamming some serious damage and more often than not my opponent had active deathrite and goyf which made using deathrite very difficult after I had dropped mandrills: goyf was almost always a 3/4 in these games. Lastly, in many games it felt like mandrills just blanked TNN

The matchup where I oftentime wanted a mongoose more than this guy was miracles. 1) someone posted in the Khans thread that this still can be countered by counterbalance, I seriously wonder sometimes... Anyways back to my main point: there were a few games where they got an early top and I was able to resolve him BUT more often than not the threat of STPs with having snapcasters to back up the STPs felt more of an issue and this is the matchup where I think Mongoose is just straight up better.

Have not yet tested against Jund or Deathblade or UWR delver.

Anyways my thoughts are this. This card NEEDs more playtesting, and the Flex cards in the Deck make a HUGE difference in terms of synergy. Against Miracles I was always wishing I had a turn aside rather than a spell pierce in hand, since now all our threats can be STP but yea I think this card is interesting, WOULD LOVE for it to have 5 toughness but maybe that is asking too much.
    Thank you for the nice report.

Do you think 3 of them are to much or is it ok ?

I think Young Pyro can be played in this setup to with the probes.

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCake View Post
    Thank you for the nice report.

Do you think 3 of them are to much or is it ok ?

I think 3 Mandrills felt just about right one of the drawbacks is it does drop the threat count to 11 and I didn't want to go below that (I personally dont like TNN mainboard because of the 3 cmc)- I Rarely drew the apes in multiples and if I did draw two in the first 3 turns- I usually shuffled one back with a brainstorm. I also like running 3 because that opens up the flex spot to be 7 which allows for MD builds with 3-4 probes or 1-2 thought scours.

Jan 2014
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Emo View Post
    I think 3 Mandrills felt just about right one of the drawbacks is it does drop the threat count to 11 and I didn't want to go below that (I personally dont like TNN mainboard because of the 3 cmc)- I Rarely drew the apes in multiples and if I did draw two in the first 3 turns- I usually shuffled one back with a brainstorm. I also like running 3 because that opens up the flex spot to be 7 which allows for MD builds with 3-4 probes or 1-2 thought scours.
    Is one singel young pyromancer solution for the 12th threat ? ( with all thes probes)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCake View Post
    Is one singel young pyromancer solution for the 12th threat ? ( with all thes probes)
    He plays well with probe, and even pretty well with thought scour given it's a spell that doesn't cost you a card.
    1-2 pyromancer can fill those 12th and 13th creature slots, if you're on the mandrill plan

Jan 2014
    Germany

I play tested 3 Mandrills + 1 Young Pyromancer / 1 grim lavamancer ( in the flex spots 3 Probes).

I played vs. Death and Taxes:
    He is pretty good vs all the 3 power creatures ( Spirit of the Labyrinth, Brimaz, King of Oreskos and Flickerwisp). He trampels over the mother ! The down side is he can get hit by the SWTP.

vs. Maverick
    same to Death and Taxes

vs Blade Controll
    He was soild and I never disliked him on my hand. He ran over the TNN that was nice 8).

vs. bant
    same as blade.

Generally I never diskliked him. I could always play him turn 3 for one mana. He nerver shrinked my goyf.
    The young Pyromanver wasn't real good as the 12th threat. Thats why I tried to play the grim lavamancer (but never draw him).

All in all he has to get some more play tested but he was solid an in some ways more power full than the Nimble mongoose.
    Last edited by RiverCake; 09-14-2014 at 04:01 AM.

I think Mandrills isn't playable. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but getting Plowed, Jaced, and getting blanked by Goyf is just too big of a downside, on top of his already existing downside of requiring Delve. If he were like 3G he still might not be good enough, simply because vanilla beaters need to be stellar to make it these days. To all those who say "just protect him with your taxing counters" that plan is doomed to fail because by the time you have enough to cast it they have enough mana to pay for Pierce and Daze easily. In all honesty I'd rather have 8 mongeese than Goyf, so cutting mongoose or a worse Tarmogoyf seems backwards.

I goldfished Mandrils in my deck runing 4 Gitaxian probes. I thought that multiples would be a problem but its actually not. I think its easy to forget how bad moon gose can be. It can win you the game, but its quite comon that hes still a 1/1 in round five or that the other player wins because you have goose and he has goyf. With probes you can sometimes play Hooters safe turn two. He easily lands turn 3. Moon gose also has the problem that you often need to land another creature to get enough tempo before their power cards kicks in. My wersion of the deck plays 3 stifles and 3 spellpierce. I thing the pierce will be important to protect him. For me playing Hooters is really a no brainer. There is no wersion of the deck that plays 3 goyfs. You realy need goyfs 4 to make a successful deck. Would you like to play a goyf thats 4/4 with trampe for one green intead of a 2/3 or a 3/4 without trample for two? Trample realy plays well with the tempo aspect of the deck. If we cant protect Hooters then the deck needs to be modyfied. Maybe an extra pierce wich also would help out versus miracles. I think that Hooters is going to be played as a 4 of and he is perfect i a tempo control deck with cantripps. The only question really is how the deck will be designed around him. i also think that using Hooters wil brake probe. I won so many games just playing probe. one of the most important decisions when playing thresh is what to do with the mana turn one. If you get that right you can often win. Gitaxian makes ponder insane!

Just a few thoughts.

Mole

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

Has anyone tried stubborn denial in a mandrills and goyf build? Seems like it is worth testing because it has some lategame potential, spell pierce seems better in most cases- but maybe denial could serve as a sideboard card (although Idk what it would replace) but it seems useful against decks like miracles, shardless, and UWR delver. Just a thought-
    Last edited by Emo; 09-15-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: wrong card

I think mandrills is playable perhaps even good. Why don't we compare what match ups each is better in?

Sneak and show
    Mandrills, a 4/4 beats a 3/3 pretty simple, if I'm aware I'm playing them I don't typically play turn 1 goose, I would rather do just about anything else.

Storm
    Mandrills, for the exact same reason as sneak and show

Elves
    Trample is super relevant, no block bounce shenanigans, no chump blocks. Mandrills by a mile

Shard less
    Mandrills. None of their removal hits either one, trample is relevant through baleful strix (turning a trade into a bolt) as well as being able to trample through all the little dudes they out on the ground. Additionally just being a bugger side always helps.

Miracles
    Mongoose by a mile. Sometimes you get a free win because they have 2 swords and a no terminus. Size is not nearly as relevant as getting an extra turn of swinging out.

Team America
    Mandrills, removal hits neither one, additionally trample is very relevant here as you can get a bolt through true name, or dark confidant.

UWR delver
    Neutral. Mandrills doesn't trade with delver, and tramples through true name. Swords however kills mandrills and not mongoose. Personally I would lean towards being the aggressor here and trying to squeeze through damage, but you could very reasonably try to mongoose all the way.

Blade variants
    ? I don't get much practice against blade so I haven't a clue. My guess would be goose but I don't know.

Generally speaking against any deck not running swords I think mandrills is probably better. Mandrills avoids all the other removal in the format (decay, bolt) has a bigger body, and trample seems very relevant. The main hit is against miracles, where you will mongoose.

Hopefully next week I should be able to actually test him out.

Jan 2014
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    I think mandrills is playable perhaps even good. Why don't we compare what match ups each is better in?

Sneak and show
    Mandrills, a 4/4 beats a 3/3 pretty simple, if I'm aware I'm playing them I don't typically play turn 1 goose, I would rather do just about anything else.

Storm
    Mandrills, for the exact same reason as sneak and show

Elves
    Trample is super relevant, no block bounce shenanigans, no chump blocks. Mandrills by a mile

Shard less
    Mandrills. None of their removal hits either one, trample is relevant through baleful strix (turning a trade into a bolt) as well as being able to trample through all the little dudes they out on the ground. Additionally just being a bugger side always helps.

Miracles
    Mongoose by a mile. Sometimes you get a free win because they have 2 swords and a no terminus. Size is not nearly as relevant as getting an extra turn of swinging out.

Team America
    Mandrills, removal hits neither one, additionally trample is very relevant here as you can get a bolt through true name, or dark confidant.

UWR delver
    Neutral. Mandrills doesn't trade with delver, and tramples through true name. Swords however kills mandrills and not mongoose. Personally I would lean towards being the aggressor here and trying to squeeze through damage, but you could very reasonably try to mongoose all the way.

Blade variants
    ? I don't get much practice against blade so I haven't a clue. My guess would be goose but I don't know.

Generally speaking against any deck not running swords I think mandrills is probably better. Mandrills avoids all the other removal in the format (decay, bolt) has a bigger body, and trample seems very relevant. The main hit is against miracles, where you will mongoose.

Hopefully next week I should be able to actually test him out.
    Nice post :) I am going to playtest to day I hope I get some more blade enemys :)

Thread Information