Page 96 of 147 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by echofish View Post
    Have they printed it in foil now?
    Its an online thing and its foil if you 5-0.

Jan 2015
    Austin, TX

Hi everyone!

I have a 1K this weekend - barring any unforeseen circumstances I'll be playing. I am fairly comfortable with RUG Delver, but I could use some guidance on the miracles match-up. I know it should be doable, but I seem to be having a lot of trouble against them lately. I feel like I might be missing something about the nature of the match-up and how it should go.

Here's what I'm running:
    Core 54: 1x Tarfire, 1x Snapcaster Mage, 2x Gitaxian Probe, 2x Spell Pierce

Sideboard:
    2x Rough//Tumble
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Krosan Grip
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Submerge
    1x Null Rod
    1x Sulfuric Vortex
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Grafdigger's Cage

I usually board quite a lot of cards, more than any other match-up actually. Out: 4x Daze, 2 Git Probe, 1x Tarfire. In: 1x Null Rod, 2 K-Grip, 2x Red Blast, 2 Rough//Tumble.

Any insight you guys could offer would be great. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake0525 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I have a 1K this weekend - barring any unforeseen circumstances I'll be playing. I am fairly comfortable with RUG Delver, but I could use some guidance on the miracles match-up. I know it should be doable, but I seem to be having a lot of trouble against them lately. I feel like I might be missing something about the nature of the match-up and how it should go.

Here's what I'm running:
    Core 54: 1x Tarfire, 1x Snapcaster Mage, 2x Gitaxian Probe, 2x Spell Pierce

Sideboard:
    2x Rough//Tumble
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Krosan Grip
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Submerge
    1x Null Rod
    1x Sulfuric Vortex
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Grafdigger's Cage

I usually board quite a lot of cards, more than any other match-up actually. Out: 4x Daze, 2 Git Probe, 1x Tarfire. In: 1x Null Rod, 2 K-Grip, 2x Red Blast, 2 Rough//Tumble.

Any insight you guys could offer would be great. Thanks a lot!
    Ok so with that list I would do something like this:

- 1 tarfire, - x daze, -x wasteland, - x lightning bolt // + 2 flusterstorm, 2x krosan grip, 2 REB, Null rod, Sulfuric Vortex, Sylvan Library, Surgical Extraction.

It kind of depends on the match up as to how you shave the wasteland, daze, lightning bolt scenario. They're all bad I can say that much. Sometimes against a build like Joe's that has caverns, karakas and duals wastes might be a bit better. Daze I've never really been happy with. Even on the play their deck has enough outs that they can just bide their time. I mean really none of our threats except turn 1 delver pose an immediate must answer. This means that outside of like hitting their turn 1 top while you're otp daze is probably going to be bad. Everyone plays differently though. Some miracle players might throw caution to the wind and jam counterbalance turn 2 when they're otp even though they don't need just to conserve mana and then you get to daze it. I guess to summarize it wasteland is good against Joe's build or lazy players that aggressively fetch duals, bolt can sometimes be good to kill ambush threats they have trying to trade with ours and daze is just a mind game that will be bad most of the time.

The only obscure sideboard choice that might need some explanation is the surgical extraction. Don't fire it off randomly wait until they flip their top and then extract something from their bin in response. This way it shuffles away the miracle card they wanted to use and acts as stifle #5 which sounds bad but in this match up it's good. Aside from that it has the usual applications of "countering" snapcaster or getting a two for one if you have perfect info from a gix probe.

Ok guys OTP unknown opponent Delver or hold up Stifle? I chose to hold up Stifle due to not having a Daze, plus the Wasteland was extra denial thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    UR Delver man forcing you to play it out then asking for the ID after he got his dick smashed seems scummy.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

I would go with Delver there. Double Delver draws are very hard to beat for most decks and it doesn't make a huge difference whether you Stifle their first or second land. If they open on non-basic into cantrip, I'd probably go with Wasteland + Stifle on your second turn. Same for nonbasic into creature, although it depends on your draw if that creature is Deathrite.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    Ok guys OTP unknown opponent Delver or hold up Stifle? I chose to hold up Stifle due to not having a Daze, plus the Wasteland was extra denial thoughts?

I would recommend looking over Drew Levin's Ultimate RUG Delver Primer: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...er_Primer.html
    The important part though is this:
    "What if Stifle is making you play worse by creating false dilemmas between holding mana up for Stifle and casting a spell that will benefit you (Ponder Brainstorm or a creature)? What if Stifle was a card that actually stopped cards you actually care about? Wouldn't that be a little better?"

Now I don't agree with everything he says. I still think stifle is a worthwhile inclusion in RUG delver if only for the fact that it produces a certain percentage of free wins. If people are not used to playing against it like he says earlier in the article then it's great. All that aside this single statement he makes underlines the flaw in the card. It doesn't always trade with cards 1 for 1 and without full information it's going to be a gamble.

With that being said I try to prioritize landing my threats first and then starting to disrupt the opponent. There are definitely different ways to play the deck. Especially if you have more options to go with than the hand you stated. For example what if your hand was this:
    Stifle, Daze, Bolt, Delver, Fetch, Volc, Waste
    With this hand if you pass with volc the decision trees are:
    Stifle -> fetch with daze back up which will sometimes close a game out by itself
    Bolt -> delver/deathrite/mom These are all threats that we don't really want to table. In addition the following turn we can play delver, waste them keeping daze alive.

What I think is that with that hand your decision trees are very limited. They boil down to hold stifle or play delver nothing else. While holding stifle can sometimes make that hand much better other times they will go turn one plains vial go. Maybe they're infect and lead trop noble pass. Perhaps it's another delver deck and they lead on deathrite or maybe it's shardless bug. Maybe it's combo and not playing a threat turn 1 was completely horrible. The possibilities are endless, but the commonality in them is the same: stifle alone in that hand will not win you all the games or even close to half of them.

My personal opinion in the best way to play that hand is volc delver pass. After that depending on what they do any of these lines are reasonable:
    delver + fetch while holding stifle (multiple scry effects with the fetch is really good)
    waste + hold stifle
    waste + delver

I guess my point is leaning on stifle without so much as the deck your opponent is on can be very dangerous. These lines can be supplemented to make them less risky by cards such as bolt, pierce, daze etc. Without that, though you are literally gambling turn 1 and the majority of the game depending on the rest of your hand. Despite that our deck more than any other preys on free wins.

Jan 2015
    Austin, TX

Hey everyone! I just made top 8 at a 1K here is Austin, TX. 52 player tournament, and my first Legacy tournament. I owe a big thanks to Contract Killer for helping me with my sideboard plan! I faced Miracles twice, boarded out 1x, Tarfire, 3x Wasteland, 4, Daze, 2 Gitaxian Probe. It worked perfectly, I won both those rounds.

I'll work on a tournament report and post it later this week.

Nov 2006
    London

Gerard Fabiano got 10th at SCG Worcester dropping the Nimble Mongoose for 2 Grim Lavamancer and 2 True Name Nemesis. Decklist.

Wish he had a report for us. Has anyone else tried this maindeck configuration? When Delver was first printed I played Lavamancer over Mongoose, but eventually went back to the goose.

Seems like a decent metagame call if Miracles is getting hated on by Eldrazi.

Edit: Also 2 Ensnaring Bridge, Jitte, Ratchet Bomb, and a Jace TMS in the SB. No Rough/Tumble or graveyard hate.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    Gerard Fabiano got 10th at SCG Worcester dropping the Nimble Mongoose for 2 Grim Lavamancer and 2 True Name Nemesis. Decklist.

Wish he had a report for us. Has anyone else tried this maindeck configuration? When Delver was first printed I played Lavamancer over Mongoose, but eventually went back to the goose.

Edit: Also 2 Ensnaring Bridge, Jitte, Ratchet Bomb, and a Jace TMS in the SB. No Rough/Tumble or graveyard hate.
    I didn't play his exact configuration, but I did play RUG in a tournament this past Saturday. My list dropped the 4 Mongoose for 2 Hooting Mandrills + 1 Vendilion Clique + 1 True-Name Nemesis (the same configuration as the deck that did really well at the last European Grand Prix, except with a few minor sideboard tweaks).

I can confirm that dropping Mongoose for alternative threats is fine, especially if you don't expect to face a ton of Miracles, UWx Stoneblade or RG Lands each round (and maybe BUG variants to some extent). Aside from those sort of decks, running other threats is often better as Mongoose is worse than the alternatives in many matchups. Mongoose is actually pretty bad against a metagame full of Deathrite Shaman and Death and Taxes -- he either has a hard time hitting threshold, and/or gets bricked against other ground threats like Mother of Runes, Wirewood Symbiote + Elf, etc. TNN provides the same 'shroud' effect, except has a ton of advantages in that he's un-blockable, a superior wall, and Blue. The downside of costing 3 mana is relevant occasionally, but frequently the advantages he has over Goose in certain matches far outweigh this downside. He also obviously plays along nicely with cards like Grim Lavamancer or Hooting Mandrills. Mandrills gets to trample through those threats; Lavamancer kills them outright -- which might be better overall, especially against DRS.

I usually run Mongoose, but my local metagame is hard to predict as there are a lot of good players, many of whom frequently switch between decks so I figured I would test a different selection. I think Grim Lavamancer is a *fantastic* option right now, and might be a key component towards helping fight DRS + D&T + Elves, strategies that are traditionally an uphill battle for RUG. In the tournament, I missed the cut to top 8 by losing to Death and Taxes in the last round of the swiss, ending in 9th after tie-breakers. If I had run the configuration that Fabiano was running, D&T probably would've been a lot more manageable.

I like the idea of running Ensnaring Bridge, especially in tandem with Lavamancer and TNN. You can probably fairly easily manage your hand-size so that you can chip away at your opponent but not let them swing back. Seems great again Eldrazi and any other big-creature decks.

Jace is pretty expensive for a deck like RUG, but maybe running a high-cmc bomb against decks that don't attack your lands and/or grindy matchups is worth it. Ratchet Bomb is fine too, and quite versatile -- not entirely sure if it's better than Engineered Explosives in all cases though.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Not to derail the discussion, but I have finally finished my primer: 2016 Canadian Threshold Primer

Let me know if there's anything you'd to see covered that's not matchup/sideboarding, I will do those gradually anyway.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post

It's not horrible. It just depends what do you want to lose to. Goose is good against miracles and if that's not a problem then grim and tnn both bring other advantages to the table. It does make the deck more resource intensive by needing constant mana for grim and tnn costs three. In pretty sure you'll lose percentages in both delver and miracles match ups but gain some in other grindy match ups like shardless.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for putting the time into that primer, i look forward to reading it!

I played at a FNM last Friday and went 2-1, losing to Miracles. Then, played in the Legacy Challenge on Saturday, and while i started out 3-1... it all went downhill from there and i finished 3-4, lol. I lost to Miracles twice, D&T, and Manaless Dredge.

I streamed the Legacy Challenge and it went much smoother this time, i think i made far less misplays and my thought rambling sounded more coherent. If you like these sort of things, here is the link to the VOD, the first match against Miracles, which i lost, was deleted because the audio was messed up. I definitely get salty neat the end, i hate losing, played bad vs D&T due to salt and getting tired.

The lists at SCG Worchester look promising. Garard Fabiano's list goes in an entirely new direction, which makes me think that is what the deck needs, but then you have Li Xu's list at 17th place which is very traditional and the direction i like to lean. So, who knows going forward. In fact, Li's main deck is nearly identical to one i 5-0's with back in March .

In response to Jake's opening hand question, i run out Delver here, too. The mana denial plan is strong, but it is just SO much better when you are clocking your opponent. Early on in my experiences with the deck, i got over eager to Stifle lands on turn 1, too, but have since felt the deck run a million times smoother to play the threat and keep Stifle ready for turn 2 or 3. Its rare youll blank his lands all game long and then be able to drop Delver at your convenience.

EDIT: My thoughts on Miracles... even though i've been getting spanked against it lately (0-3 in my last 3 matches, ugh, without winning a game) i like Daze if you are playing Winter Orbs.
    Last edited by LewisCBR; 07-11-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LewisCBR View Post
    Thanks for putting the time into that primer, i look forward to reading it!

I played at a FNM last Friday and went 2-1, losing to Miracles. Then, played in the Legacy Challenge on Saturday, and while i started out 3-1... it all went downhill from there and i finished 3-4, lol. I lost to Miracles twice, D&T, and Manaless Dredge.

I streamed the Legacy Challenge and it went much smoother this time, i think i made far less misplays and my thought rambling sounded more coherent. If you like these sort of things, here is the link to the VOD, the first match against Miracles, which i lost, was deleted because the audio was messed up. I definitely get salty neat the end, i hate losing, played bad vs D&T due to salt and getting tired.

The lists at SCG Worchester look promising. Garard Fabiano's list goes in an entirely new direction, which makes me think that is what the deck needs, but then you have Li Xu's list at 17th place which is very traditional and the direction i like to lean. So, who knows going forward. In fact, Li's main deck is nearly identical to one i 5-0's with back in March .

In response to Jake's opening hand question, i run out Delver here, too. The mana denial plan is strong, but it is just SO much better when you are clocking your opponent. Early on in my experiences with the deck, i got over eager to Stifle lands on turn 1, too, but have since felt the deck run a million times smoother to play the threat and keep Stifle ready for turn 2 or 3. Its rare youll blank his lands all game long and then be able to drop Delver at your convenience.

EDIT: My thoughts on Miracles... even though i've been getting spanked against it lately (0-3 in my last 3 matches, ugh, without winning a game) i like Daze if you are playing Winter Orbs.
    Li here, been lurking this thread for a while now. Definitely have to credit LewisCBR for the Tarfire tech. I've been playing Canadian forever now, but only recently started playing online after borrowing some cards from a friend. I put up this 5-0 list a week ago as well: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/439865#online

As for SCG Worcester, it was a weird event where I played against ZERO Miracles, Grixis, Lands, or DnT. My path through the tournament is as follows:

Day One
    R1: 2-1 Burn
    R2: 2-1 Infect
    R3: 0-2 Fish
    R4: 2-0 Sneak and Show
    R5: 2-1 Fish (got Chaliced in game 3 but jammed a Needle into it anyway, and opponent forgot his trigger. Named Mutavault and saved 8 damage to outrace his TNN with a Delver)
    R6: 2-0 BR Reanimator (Snare for the ultimate blowout here, opponent showed me after the fact that he had two Rituals that would have easily paid for Daze/Pierce)
    R7: 2-1 4c Loam (in game 3 he stabilized at 1 life and had a Liliana ticking toward ultimate. Found the Bolt in time thanks to Library)
    R8: 2-1 Mono Red Painter
    R9: 2-0 Infect (Todd Stevens who would top 8)

Day Two
    R10: 2-0 Burn
    R11: 0-2 4c Delver (Ben Friedman who would top 8)
    R12: 1-2 Mono Red Sneak (Jeff Hoogland who would top 8. He got a turn 1 Sneak Attack into Godo + Batterskull the next turn. I Stifled the Living Weapon and went to 14 off of Godo attacks. He was out of gas until he topdecked Emrakul at 2 life)
    R13: 2-1 Shardless
    R14: 2-0 Eldrazi
    R15: 1-2 Moggcatcher (Rob Blocher who would top 4. Locked me out game 3 by pitching Simian Spirit Guide to pay for Daze on Blood Moon)

So yeah, weird tournament where luck was both on my side and against me at times. Probes felt awesome all weekend, not quite sure what to say about Tarfire and Dismember since I played only one match where they would have been relevant (Eldrazi which I had nutty Goyf + Wasteland + Daze hands against and he was never really in it). Sideboard felt great, all cards saw play except for Sulfur Elemental, but only because I didn't encounter a relevant matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post

Turn 1 delver into turn 2 waste + stifle is almost unwinnable for most opponents. This hand has a lot of land so you need the early pressure a lot to win the game. I doubt your odds of winning the game go up by holding up turn 1 stifle over going delver turn 1 when stifle could just do stone nothing for you and could just time walk you if they go, say, ancient tomb into chalice for 1 you lose on the spot whereas if you have a delver onboard you at least have a shot of killing them.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe555 View Post
    Li here...
    Good run, man. Considering your experience, it makes the case that a well rounded sideboard might be just fine, as opposed to a board that tries to hate on Miracles and the other top decks too much. Legacy can certainly be a lotto with your matchups.

Tough breaks agianst Hoogland and the Moggcatcher deck, either of which would have helped you cruise to top 8. I've played against Hoogland and his deck a few times online and beat him twice. I guess it comes down to having a decent clock and finding those Forces.

Did anything feel really bad that you'd change? The Tarfire vs Chain Lightning vs Forked Bolt slot debate will always be up for opinion, but i'm happy with Tarfire almost solely due to the instant speed factor alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LewisCBR View Post
    Good run, man. Considering your experience, it makes the case that a well rounded sideboard might be just fine, as opposed to a board that tries to hate on Miracles and the other top decks too much. Legacy can certainly be a lotto with your matchups.

Tough breaks agianst Hoogland and the Moggcatcher deck, either of which would have helped you cruise to top 8. I've played against Hoogland and his deck a few times online and beat him twice. I guess it comes down to having a decent clock and finding those Forces.

Did anything feel really bad that you'd change? The Tarfire vs Chain Lightning vs Forked Bolt slot debate will always be up for opinion, but i'm happy with Tarfire almost solely due to the instant speed factor alone.
    For Miracles, I think Needle and Null Rod are great specific hate. Turning off Top is suuuuuch big game. My board for the 5-0 list online had a Vortex over Sulfur Elemental because DnT is virtually nonexistent online, and it did win me a few Miracles games, but it's by no means a necessity. Nimble Mongoose is our one-sided Sulfuric Vortex.

Re: Tarfire, I like the surprise factor as well, and in online testing it was really important to have a direct answer to Angler/Smasher (Dismember) and an indirect one as well (Tarfire growth). In the specific case of the 4c Loam match this weekend, Tarfire was actually the spell that brought my opponent to 1 life. I topdecked it after he dropped Liliana and edicted my Goyf away, and I remember specifically thinking "well, he's gonna live at 1 and I will hate myself for not drawing a 3 damage spell instead" -- but it all worked out in the end.

I think in the end it just comes down to all the flex removal being really good for the specific application you want them for, but having pretty significant drawbacks of just not being good ol' Lightning Bolt. For instance, game 1 against Moggcatcher, he locked me with a Chalice on 1 and stabilized at 1 life by playing enough Imperial Recuiters to get in the way of my Goose, eventually putting too many bodies on the board and stealing the game. I would have KILLED to have a Fire//Ice in that situation, but whenever I have it in my opener and my opponent opens with DRS on the play I feel like walking off a building.

Probes were great, as I said previously, because making the "right" turn 1 play is so crucial to the deck. But I do wonder if they were just more Pierces/Snares instead whether I would have lost to the Blood Moon/Chalice decks. I so often don't want extra Pierces in the current metagame, as they always feel unnecessary, but against the sheer number of must-counter things out of all those stompy decks they might be a necessary evil.

All in all, no regrets, just some nagging "what ifs" at the back of my mind.

Well thanks for all the replies about the hand I posted, playing the Delver would have been the correct play due to opponent going plains---> Top........
    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    UR Delver man forcing you to play it out then asking for the ID after he got his dick smashed seems scummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    Not to derail the discussion, but I have finally finished my primer: 2016 Canadian Threshold Primer

Let me know if there's anything you'd to see covered that's not matchup/sideboarding, I will do those gradually anyway.
    I read it, congrats man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post

I posted on your primer, but it didn't submit. Do you know why?

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    I posted on your primer, but it didn't submit. Do you know why?
    I think I received a lot of spam comments at some point and changed the settings regarding comments. Every comment has to be approved now. I should probably change that. Anyway, I'll answer your comment tomorrow. Thanks for your feedback!

deckstats.net archive

Thread Information