Page 102 of 147 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by now View Post
    Isn’t this sort of what The Source is for?
    Yes.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Isn’t this sort of what The Source is for?
    Meh.

FB chat is quicker for discussions. Other archetypes have them and it seems to be fine. But it's not like enough people play RUG anyways.

Well, got my name up on the new MODO League Leader Board thing with this build:

http://deckstats.net/decks/56084/451448-rug-delver

I went through 2 Grixis Delver decks, UR Delver, Eldrazi, and a Merfolk to get the 5-0. I think this build is great for creature mirrors. The extra Tarfires in teh main came up huge to get Goyf out of Dismeber range, be bigger than Smashers/Anglers, and of course just as extra kill spells to pick off their dudes. Tarfire would be garbage if it wasnt Instant speed, though. The deck ran hot and i only lost 2 games in the run, there was a dicey moment vs one of the Grixis Delver decks, but i got a very timely Ponder into Rough that killed my opponents unflipped Delver, a DRS, and a Lavamancer. Rough can be such a blowout. I plan to run this exact 75 in the Legacy Challenge tomorrow and i'll probably stream it. Although, the wife and I have a 6 week old baby now, so streaming could be chaotic, we'll see.

I've totally dropped Winter Orb from the board and i'm not looking back. I didnt see Miracles this run, but i've been doing very well against it with this build, too. The last few times i've played an Orb on them i didnt feel like it was doing enough for me and i would get top locked too often in spite of it. Turning off Top via Needle or Null Rod is just better.

Speaking of Leagues, why did they change things up? I liked knowing my opponents wins/loses, but now you dont get to see that, only a list of people who 5-0'd. Seems weird, you cant browse through the other people in the league and how they are doing.

Anyways, happy Goosin'.

Quote Originally Posted by LewisCBR View Post

What’s your reasoning for choosing Gitaxian Probe over, say, Spell Pierce?

Aug 2015
    Munich, Germany

@LewisCBR: I find your lists always really interesting, thank you for sharing! I have some comments/questions about your choices:
    • I can understand the usage of Probe; it looks nice knowing what's happening and using our resources correctly and I think I'm gonna try it too.
    • One thing I noticed is the absence of Dismember: how do you feel without it? Is the plan "grow the Goyfs", using Tarfire, enough to overcome opponent fatties?
    • Is this the reason why you are using one Submerge in the side?
    • I think Sylvan Library is also a way to improve the chances to see all those 1 of, am I wrong?
    • I also noticed the absence of Sulfur Elemental in the side and the choice of using Sulfuric Vortex instead (I guess one usually side them in for the same matchups: Miracles and Death&Taxes): personally I prefer the Elemental because he can be cast under Thalia (Vortex requires 4 and I find pretty impossible to play it) and it has Split second. Which is the reason why you preferred the Vortex?
    • I'm using one Winter Orb main instead of a Goyf but I'm still not convinced about it and most of the times I have preferred to draw something else; Orb however fits better with Spell Pierce and this is why my flex slots by now are 2xSnare, 2xPierce, 1xForked, 1xDismember.

Well, I hope those are not so many questions but I like your build and would like to talk about it and know more about your choices.

Thanks.

So I'm going to a large tournament in the near future and I'm trying to figure out my board. This is what I've got so far I think it's good, but I haven't tested it a whole lot yet:

54 stock
    2/2/2 snare, pierce, dismember

2 sulfur elemental
    2 pyroblast
    2 rough/ /tumble
    2 price of progress
    2 flusterstorm
    1 surgical extraction
    1 sylvan library
    1 null rod
    1 pithing needle
    1 ancient grudge

The premise of the board is to have all around good cards for each specific match up. Why I say that is I don't like orb since I only really want it vs miracles. I've also just had bad experiences with the card where I drop it; they jam terminus; counter war ensues they win it. Then I'm stuck under my own orb trying to chain cantrips I'm drawing into me threats. I'm open to opinions of the card, but it just feels to virtual card advantage oriented and if it doesn't land at the right time your opponent can leverage it against you. This is the reason for double elemental which I think is quite good right now for both miracles and dnt getting a huge boost recently.

The two price of progress are there as a concession to eldarazi being better than I would like to admit. Currently it serves two roles. The first primarily to kill eldarazi. The second is to hose shardless bug and inadvertently lands. This does leave me a bit cold to UGx delver shells, but those are not played as much right now so I think it's a fair trade off.

I dont know, i always felt like Pierce was weak. You will barely hardly ever pierce a Swords or Terminus, I feel like there are far more threatening 2 CMC spells so I'd rather have Snare. Non-pierce'able spells like Snapcaster, Stoneforge Mystic, Young Peezy, other Goyfs, and even Baleful strix are much juicier targets. People play around Pierce too often lately and I dont even play it, so I feel like its doing something anyway. Probe helps feed the yard for Goose and feed Sorcery's to Goyf. I've taken some weird lines that have won me games after a Probe that i otherwise wouldnt have thought to do. Probe is great in a Stifle deck, its working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    @LewisCBR: I find your lists always really interesting, thank you for sharing! I have some comments/questions about your choices:
    • I can understand the usage of Probe; it looks nice knowing what's happening and using our resources correctly and I think I'm gonna try it too.
    • One thing I noticed is the absence of Dismember: how do you feel without it? Is the plan "grow the Goyfs", using Tarfire, enough to overcome opponent fatties?
    • Is this the reason why you are using one Submerge in the side?
    • I think Sylvan Library is also a way to improve the chances to see all those 1 of, am I wrong?
    • I also noticed the absence of Sulfur Elemental in the side and the choice of using Sulfuric Vortex instead (I guess one usually side them in for the same matchups: Miracles and Death&Taxes): personally I prefer the Elemental because he can be cast under Thalia (Vortex requires 4 and I find pretty impossible to play it) and it has Split second. Which is the reason why you preferred the Vortex?
    • I'm using one Winter Orb main instead of a Goyf but I'm still not convinced about it and most of the times I have preferred to draw something else; Orb however fits better with Spell Pierce and this is why my flex slots by now are 2xSnare, 2xPierce, 1xForked, 1xDismember.

Well, I hope those are not so many questions but I like your build and would like to talk about it and know more about your choices.

Thanks.
    - I think you should, its been pretty good. However, i think if you go with Probe you have to forgo Dismember, its simply too much life to give up.
    - See above, since i want to run Probe I dont think i can also play Dismember. I also simply like Tarfire's better than Dismember as extra kill spells since it can go to the face, and it kills the cards i care about, like DRS. I try to fight Anglers on the stack because they are a pain, but Tarfire has that Goyf byproduct. I usually leave a couple Forces in against the Grixis Delver matchup, because i figure we are the aggressive deck, so i have no problem Forcing Angler.
    - Submerge is great in the Infect and Depths matchups. Bouncing a Merrit Lage is the only way we can deal with it. A lot of the old lists used to always run 2 Submerge, but in the meta nowadays even one might be too many. I'm not sold yet on this card, but it is pretty awesome when it is good.
    - I think Legacy in general is fine for 1-ofs. With Ponder, BS, and Library, you have a good chance to find your one-of.
    - Death and Taxes isnt even really a deck online. The cost of Ports are so absurd that you hardly ever see it. But, i think 6 kill spells main and 2 Rough/Tumbles in the side make this matchup doable. Even still, i'd probably try to find room for a Sulfur Elemental or two in the side for a paper tournament.
    - Orb seems to make sense when you are Daze'ing and Piercing, but i agree with what Contract Killer just said; it hasnt felt great lately when i've played it. I'm either under my own Orb or is isnt impactful enough in general. I dont think i'm going to play it for a while and see how i feel.

Thanks for the kind words, but some days i really dont feel like i know what i'm talking about. I'd like to think i have my finger on the pulse of the meta pretty well and I've had some good 5-0's online lately, but today was another bad showing in the Legacy Challenge online. I went 1-3 drop, losing to 3 Miracle decks. Two of those, were real bad Miracle players, but i just couldnt get anything going. I prefaced my last post by saying this build is good vs creature decks, but i also thought it was doing pretty well against Miracles lately... until today. Super gross losses. But, Snare still did more work than Pierces would have. I was probably just a little too loose on my keeps and i def ran into a post shuffle Terminus topdeck that wrecked me, and one guy got me on a second Blood Moon after i had a pretty slick play to able to counter his first Blood Moon. Was bad beats all day. Oh well, always next month.

EDIT: Legacy Challenge results and decklists are up, a Tarfire/Probe RUG list got 9th: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ier-2016-09-11
    Last edited by LewisCBR; 09-11-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Anyways, happy Goosin'.
    Hi Lewis,
    solid list imho.

I have played Tarfire and Gitaxian in a Mandrills list and they work very good.
    You play 4x cards who pump the Goyf, better then standard list (only 4x sorcery) and this is a good condition for beating.
    Tariffe is very good vs Reality Smasher, because you can cast Tarfire in da face in response to attack and block.
    Maybe Dismember is better in some situation but Tarfire and Dismember in the same deck is a bad thing vs other Tarmo.

Imho the list is solid and Gitaxian make simply some situation.

Hi, everyone. Long time, first time.

This is my big conundrum right now as well. I'm a big fan of the 2/2/2//Spell Pierce/Spell Snare/Dismember in the flex spots, and I'm pretty dogmatic about the other 54 being untouched. I had some success for a while with doing 4 Gitaxian Probe and 2 Forked Bolt, then putting 2-3 Spell Pierce in the SB. I feel like unless we're super tuned in to the meta, either Forked Bolt (or Tarfire/Seal of Fire, for the adventurous) xor Dismember have got to be in those slots for main-deck removal—and I'm not gonna play Dismember and Probe together, as I think we're all probably on board with for the most part.

Do Gurmag Angler, Eldrazi, and opposing 'Goyfs present enough of an issue to force me into playing Dismember in the main? This is my question. If anyone's in the mood to wax philosophical about Probe vs. Dismember in our flex spots, I'll be happy to think out loud with you. I'm going to SCG Indy just to play in the Classic before Eternal Weekend in Columbus and GP Louisville, and despite spending the last year or so building and trying to play BUG, 4C, and Grixis Delver, I'm back home to RUG. But right now I just can't decide to go with probes or not. Has such a major effect on the SB too. Probes are great, but Spell Pierce and Spell Snare are so devastating when your tempo game is on point. Untapping with SP/SN in hand with your insect in the air and being able to protect him is starting to make more and more sense.

P.S. @ Contract Killer: I play a very similar SB too, only I enjoy Krosan Grip instead of Null Rod and often an extra Surgical. Any reason why you specifically like the 2/2/2 you've got there and not Probe? I will say my 'Goyfs do tend to suffer from only having the four sorceries in Ponder—another argument for the Probe/Forked Bolt situation.
    Last edited by IslandDelverGo; 09-28-2016 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Wonky HTML
    Delver

@IslandDelverGo
    I personally have always liked 2/2/2 snare, pierce, x split. The last two fluctuating between removal spells. The sorcery count has never really been a problem in my book.

Remember that after fetching, force, gix probe, ancient tomb, etc people lose a decent amount of life on their own. Specifically people's starting life total in legacy tends to be 18. The importance of this is 18/3 = 6. So any threat x 6 in our deck will kill. This means that the difference between a 3/4 and a 4/5 goyf when facing other non goyf decks ie combo, control variants, opposing delver decks, etc is not relevant.

I do think dismember is a necessity right now. Between opposing Goyfs, anglers, thought seer, and smasher there's so many threats that we can't efficiently answer post stack. I haven't tried seal of fire yet. Look at Jonathan's blog the weekly wars and he has an article about it which could tell you more.

The phrexian mana and running both dismember and probe I'm not sure about. My experience with Probe has been:
    look at opponents hand, draw...
    still can't deal with card xyz in opponents hand
    I've always wanted the flex pierce, snare etc rather than the information + random 54 stock card. It's great turn 1 after that though it's sub par I think. Just work on reading your opponent and sequencing.

Nov 2006
    London

Please don't play Seal of Fire. If you want to run more burn that pumps Goyf, play Tarfire. At least Tarfire is an instant and it flips Delver.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    Please don't play Seal of Fire. If you want to run more burn that pumps Goyf, play Tarfire. At least Tarfire is an instant and it flips Delver.
    The downside of Tarfire is it can be eaten by DRS and shrink Goyf in the Grixis Delver matchup. Pros and cons to both.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    The downside of Tarfire is it can be eaten by DRS and shrink Goyf in the Grixis Delver matchup. Pros and cons to both.
    Well, the idea is to target the DRS with the Tarfire...

Same thing Dissection said. It seems bad, but if the premise is to grow goyf past angler range especially in the grixis match up then it makes sense. At the very least Jonathan is an amazing player and think it's worth trying out.

https://theweeklywars.wordpress.com/...oarding-guide/

Unfortunately, this deck doesnt have crazy Probe synergies, like with Cabal or Young Peezy, but i do think the information is relevant for a Stifle deck and i cant count the amount of times i've been happy with it in my yard for Goose. There is nothing worse than having a 1/1 Goose for what feels like forever against Miracles. A turn 1 fetch into Goose followed up by a turn 2 Ponder that shows you a Probe and another good card is not Magical Christmas land, but the norm. You stack it to where you can cast the Probe and then draw the card you actually want, of course, now have information and a decent graveyard.

I've liked the 2 Probes a lot and i dont think ill change it for a while. I actually have not been impressed with Dismember when i ran it main. I dont think my win rate has changed against Eldrazi without Dismember main, and in fact, i feel like i'm doing very well against that deck lately with just huge Goyfs and Delvers. It really comes down to if they get a Canvern or not, IMO.

Angler is super annoying, but is only a 2 of in a deck you might run into 2 times out of ten, even online where its popular. Its a Delver mirror, that 4 damage is huge, especially if it just gets countered anyways. I wish there was a better way to deal with Angler, but there simply isnt, so i'm going to just keep trying to beat it on the stack, or hope they dont draw their 2 of. I keep a few Forces in post board against Grixis, because we are the aggressive deck here. Besides, a lot of time you just have 2 Goose out and Angler cant attack into that anyways. Lets be honest, we dont lose this matchup to Angler, its DRS. Always DRS.

My flex spots lately have been 2 Probes, 2 Snares, 1 Pierce, 1 Tarfire. I cut the second Tarfire i've been posting about recently for a Pierce, it feels fine. Goyfs are usually always big vs Eldrazi since its likely you counter an artifact. Only 5 ways to kill DRS kind of scares me, though. DRS just gives me nightmares, card is insane against us.

EDIT:: I just read Jonathan's blog post that Contract Killer linked and i respectfully disagree with the direction he takes the deck a lot of time. To me, the Delver mirror DOES feel like whoever sticks a Delver wins, i would not board them out. The double Delver draw is often times unbeatable. In addition, he inadvertently plays the control role vs Grixis Delver which i dont agree with at all.

The Seal of Fire in the side sounds pretty sweet, though, i could probably find room for that and would like another Goyf grower/DRS killer, especially one that cant be exiled by another DRS.

It looks like he is still on Winter Orb main with like 2 more in the side, where as i've removed Winter Orb entirely. It always felt clunky to me, even though in theory it should be good. I only ever liked it when my opponent would tap out, i would Daze the spell, then slam Orb, which didnt come up enough for my liking.

This is a pretty hyper aggressive tempo deck, RUG control with Delvers doesnt feel like what i want to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Killer View Post
    @IslandDelverGo
    Remember that after fetching, force, gix probe, ancient tomb, etc people lose a decent amount of life on their own. Specifically people's starting life total in legacy tends to be 18. The importance of this is 18/3 = 6. So any threat x 6 in our deck will kill. This means that the difference between a 3/4 and a 4/5 goyf when facing other non goyf decks ie combo, control variants, opposing delver decks, etc is not relevant.
    Yeah, this is a good thing to think about. Plus, I don't always jam my 'Goyfs, so in my experience I haven't had too much of a problem with their size once they hit the field. However, continued below ...

Unfortunately, this deck doesnt have crazy Probe synergies, like with Cabal or Young Peezy, but i do think the information is relevant for a Stifle deck and i cant count the amount of times i've been happy with it in my yard for Goose. There is nothing worse than having a 1/1 Goose for what feels like forever against Miracles. A turn 1 fetch into Goose followed up by a turn 2 Ponder that shows you a Probe and another good card is not Magical Christmas land, but the norm. You stack it to where you can cast the Probe and then draw the card you actually want, of course, now have information and a decent graveyard.
    I do notice sitting around with 1/1 Geese for a while without the Probes; this is one big thing they've got going for them—they're easy to cast and do get you there on your Nimble Mongoose a bit quicker. This can matter when you're starting to run low on resources, although I think at the end of the day I'm in Contract Killer's camp: in general, I'd rather actually have the resource I already need in SP/SN/Dismember than have a probe in my hand.

Still, I'm a bit worried about a flood of D&T with all their new toys, so I'm worried about giving up Forked Bolt in the main as my removal bit. But, when I run the 2/2/2//SP/SN/Dismember package, my board is pretty stacked with Rough//Tumble and Sulfur Elemental that I can try and make our already bad MU better with them. I think I'm probably locked into the aforementioned 2/2/2 for this Sunday at the Classic; just need SB tinkering.

And, yeah, I would not personally ever do this—and I doubt I'd play Tarfire either. Both are a bit too cute for this old timer
    Delver

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by IslandDelverGo View Post
    And, yeah, I would not personally ever do this—and I doubt I'd play Tarfire either. Both are a bit too cute for this old timer
    I think Tarfire is probably just as good as Forked Bolt at this point. Part of the reason for that is that Goyfs aren't as popular anymore, meaning there are greater returns from committing to pumping him as its less often symmetrical. Also as many have said, DRS is just the biggest problem for this deck, and being able to kill it turn 1 for R at instant speed is exactly what we want. So many times you are holding up a fetch for Stifle or any other counter, and the instant speed is relevant. Also there are just so many X/2s in the format besides DRS-- these days shock kills almost as much as bolt.

What are the most popular X/3s in the format?

Eldrazi Displacer
    Serra Avenger
    Painter's Servant
    Hanweir Garrison
    Lodestone Golem

Sure they're annoying but not all that common

Aug 2015
    Munich, Germany

Recently I've been playing with

2 x Snare
    1 x Pierce
    1 x Dismember
    2 x Tarfire

and I've felt pretty confortable with it. I like the 6 instant removal + Dismember solution by now.

I tried the 2 x Probes, but it looked like I didn't have them when I really needed.

As sideboard I'm trying a versatile side full of 1of and it looks nice to me at the moment:

1 x Submerge
    2 x Pyroblast
    1 x Sulfur Elemental
    2 x Rough // Tumble
    1 x Pithing Needle
    1 x Ancient Grudge
    1 x Krosan Grip
    1 x Flusterstorm
    1 x Grafdigger's Cage
    1 x Surgical Extraction
    1 x Null Rod
    1 x Sylvan Library
    1 x Price of Progress

I've liked the 2 Probes a lot and i dont think ill change it for a while. I actually have not been impressed with Dismember when i ran it main. I dont think my win rate has changed against Eldrazi without Dismember main, and in fact, i feel like i'm doing very well against that deck lately with just huge Goyfs and Delvers. It really comes down to if they get a Canvern or not, IMO.

Angler is super annoying, but is only a 2 of in a deck you might run into 2 times out of ten, even online where its popular. Its a Delver mirror, that 4 damage is huge, especially if it just gets countered anyways. I wish there was a better way to deal with Angler, but there simply isnt, so i'm going to just keep trying to beat it on the stack, or hope they dont draw their 2 of. I keep a few Forces in post board against Grixis, because we are the aggressive deck here. Besides, a lot of time you just have 2 Goose out and Angler cant attack into that anyways. Lets be honest, we dont lose this matchup to Angler, its DRS. Always DRS.

My flex spots lately have been 2 Probes, 2 Snares, 1 Pierce, 1 Tarfire. I cut the second Tarfire i've been posting about recently for a Pierce, it feels fine. Goyfs are usually always big vs Eldrazi since its likely you counter an artifact. Only 5 ways to kill DRS kind of scares me, though. DRS just gives me nightmares, card is insane against us.

EDIT:: I just read Jonathan's blog post that Contract Killer linked and i respectfully disagree with the direction he takes the deck a lot of time. To me, the Delver mirror DOES feel like whoever sticks a Delver wins, i would not board them out. The double Delver draw is often times unbeatable. In addition, he inadvertently plays the control role vs Grixis Delver which i dont agree with at all.

The Seal of Fire in the side sounds pretty sweet, though, i could probably find room for that and would like another Goyf grower/DRS killer, especially one that cant be exiled by another DRS.

It looks like he is still on Winter Orb main with like 2 more in the side, where as i've removed Winter Orb entirely. It always felt clunky to me, even though in theory it should be good. I only ever liked it when my opponent would tap out, i would Daze the spell, then slam Orb, which didnt come up enough for my liking.

This is a pretty hyper aggressive tempo deck, RUG control with Delvers doesnt feel like what i want to be doing.
    Yeah I've tried it as well once and my results were ok I guess. I didn't really give it a shot after that because again it feels clunky. Our own opinions of the list aside I think the 24th finish with it does merit more testing than people do with it.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Just played the Legacy Challenge, still on the same 75 from my sideboarding guide.

2-0 Miracles
    I had Orb both games.

1-2 Storm
    I had wrong reads on my opponent G1&3.

2-1 OmniTell
    Lost G1 because I did nothing.
    G2 my opponent had T1 Defense Grid but I had Orb.
    G3 my opponent resolved Show and Tell for Omniscience because of Boseiju, but I countered every spell after.

2-0 4C Delver
    I just did Canadian things. Interestingly, G1 Winter Orb was a spell my opponent had to counter.

2-1 Death & Taxes
    G1 I made some stupid mistake and lost.
    G2 I had True-Name to trump my opponent's deck.
    G3 my opponent had four Vials, but I had double Grudge.

2-1 Miracles
    Lost G1 because I didn't really do much.
    G2&3 were won on the back of early Winter Orbs into late untouchable creatures.

1-2 Death & Taxes
    Won G1 doing Canadian things.
    Lost G2&3 doing other Canadian things, namely drawing one land per game.

--> 5-2 for ninth place on breakers. The guy I beat R6 got 8th.

List is still great, but still not sure about Grafdigger's Cage. Can be pretty much anything.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Thread Information