Page 125 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I think you need to dedicate slots to fight control. Yes, you're better positioned (compared to grixis and bug) thanks to Goose. But im not sure it's enough. I used to run sylvan, winter orb and 2x TNN in the board. Sometimes i even ran loam. Mandrills is good versus push and decay but actually worse than goyf vs swords to plowshares.
    They both get bopped by swords, this is not really an important consideration.

I agree that no anti-control cards seems rough (and with only mongoose as shroud creatures this will make the lands matchup harder)
    I don't like Submerge as an answer for Marit Lage because good opponents will always play around it as much as possible by not playing Forests (e.g. I think the GB Turbo lists are playing Blooming Marsh specifically for this reason)
    I think if you aren't playing Goyf (so you don't care about different card types and therefore aren't interested in Seal of Fire or Tarfire) then Dead/Gone is a good card, it's better at answering DRS than Submerge (I don't mind boarding in 1 Forked Bolt vs DRS decks even though I expect it to be Sorcery Shock a lot of the time).

Also props to 'TBR87' on modo for going 5-0 with the Honden tech

Creature (11)
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tarmogoyf
    Sorcery (4)
    4 Ponder
    Instant (25)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    Enchantment (1)
    1 Seal of Fire
    Land (18)
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    Tribal instant (1)
    1 Tarfire
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Destructive Revelry
    1 Dismember
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Honden of Infinite Rage
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Rough // Tumble
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 True-Name Nemesis

Honden is nice as it's a hard to remove threat versus control and a repeating removal. I like ground seal in the board too. Nice

RUG Delver tournament report:

Hey everyone, went to the Geek Fortress 1k today with RUG and ended up going 4-2 and missing top 8 by breakers. Figured I’d write up a tournament report both for my own memory and in the hopes that someone else will find it interesting. I’m realizing now that I didn’t take nearly good enough notes for my memory, so I apologize for not being quite as detailed as I’d like to be. First, the list:

18 Land
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

11 Creature
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    2 Hooting Mandrills
    1 True-Name Nemesis

31 Instant and Sorcery
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Dismember
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Life from the Loam

Sideboard:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Abrade
    2 Submerge
    1 Rough // Tumble
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Barbarian Ring

Round 1: 2-0 against Elves

I win the die roll, and keep a hand with Volc, Delver, Wasteland, and other stuff. He keeps a 6 with a lot of hesitation. I then go Volcanic Island, Delver, pass, which he follows with Bayou, Nettle Sentinel. I proceed to wasteland him, to which he promptly scoops. On to game 2!

Game 2 I keep a hand with delver, force and fodder, and a lot of removal. He starts with fetch, grab bayou, pass? I play a delver and pass. He then groans, doesn’t play a land, and plays a nettle sentinel. Delver flips, swings, and then I bolt the nettle sentinel. Next turn he plays a DRS, still missing his land drops. I dismember the DRS, swing, and then ponder into a wasteland. I waste him and he scoops.

Round 2: 2-0 against Elves

Game 1 is very close, and it seems like my opponent drew all of his value stuff and not really any of the combo stuff, which I'm totally fine with when my threat is a Delver and not anything on the ground. I use a stifle to stop a visionary from drawing later on, and on his final turn I spell pierced his glimpse after his land drop when he only had two mana to work with, saving me from whatever shenanigans he was up to. My threats were a turn 1 mongoose which finally got blocked when he was at 7, and then a delver that took forever to flip(hit him all the way down to 3) before finally flipping and killing him.

Game 2 was much less close. He started with a turn 1 GSZ into dryad arbor, which I bolted on my turn. He did stone cold nothing for almost the rest of the game, where I drop a Delver into Mongoose and then Hooting Mandrills, 8ing him from 16 to dead very quickly.

Round 3: 2-0 against Miracles

Game 1 I had absolutely no business winning. My threats keep getting removed, but usually stick long enough to get 3-6 damage in before something happens to them. My opponent manages to stabilize at 4 with a Jace on the field and no threats on my side of the field. In hand I have Delver, Mongoose, Bolt, Daze, Daze. I cast a Mongoose, which my opponent counters. I then cast Delver, to which my opponent activates Azcanta to dig for answers. He finds Terminus. He then Counterspells. He now has 1 untapped dual and a fetch. I Daze once, which he pays for. I Daze against, to which he thinks for a moment and then actives his fetch, going to 3. I respond by Bolting him, for which he has no answer. No idea what he was doing, but I take the win. He seems pretty upset at himself over this, but is a nice guy and isn’t salty or anything.

Game 2 goes fairly similarly, but he stabilizes just a bit late and can’t seem to find the Terminus for my Mongoose. Midway through the game he plays a Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, which sits and makes 2/2s for the rest of the game. This blocks 1 Mongoose indefinitely, but I find a second one to keep swinging. The game winning play is when I hold a Wasteland until the end of my main 2 after playing some spells, which he fights over with numerous Brainstorms. This leaves him with not enough mana to activate Azcanta on my turn, so I play Wasteland and Brainstorm lock him. I wasn’t actually expecting to be able to leave him without an Azcanta activation on my turn, but I figured I should just hold onto the Wasteland just in case and got rewarded for it. Realistically, he was incredibly unlucky not to find a Terminus, but regardless I think I played well to capitalize on it.

Round 4: 0-2 against Food Chain

Games 1 and 2 go fairly similarly, so I’ll just go over them together. I played out a delver early in both games and rode it a couple turns, but overall was powerless to keep myself from just getting killed by food chain on turn 4-5. I wasn’t sure exactly how to play the matchup, because it felt like if I just focused my counter magic on his combo then he played out Baleful Strix which I couldn’t deal with, and if I used it early he could just combo off on me later. If anyone is familiar with the matchup, please give me some tips.

Round 5: 1-2 against Stoneblade

Game 1 I lose after a long battle by just getting killed by True-Name Nemesis. I don’t remember this game particularly well, I just got grinded out of the course of many turns.

Game 2 I win by playing delver turn 1 and just protecting it until he hits 9. I have 2 bolts in hand and know I have one on top of my library. He blood moons me in his main, and then I bolt him on his end step, putting him to 6. Then, during my upkeep he Pyroblasts my Delver. This resolves, I draw, and then I double bolt him, holding up a Pyroblast. in case he has counter magic. I feel pretty blessed to have drawn triple Bolt so late into the game, but I take it.

Game 3 I make a play that I feel like is very questionable, but potentially correct. If anyone has input it’s super appreciated.

A few turns into the game, he stoneforges. I stifle the trigger, and then bolt the stone forge. The next turn he plays another one, grabs a batterskull, and passes. I have no more removal, so I hold up mana for abrade and pass back. He simply draws and passes. I draw, play a fetch, and the board state is then a stoneforge and 3 untapped land for him, and 3 lands and a Nimble Mongoose with 3 cards in the graveyard for me. I’m holding a Mongoose, Abrade, Spell Snare, Pyroblast. I decide to swing, because A. If he drops the Batterskull to block with to try to gain life, I’m confident I can abrade it and counter any response of his. and B. if he just blocks it, it helps fill my graveyard which I had no real belief would be hitting threshold anytime soon for my second Mongoose, and unlike against Miracles I can’t really win the long game.

Regardless, he blocks with stoneforge and then drops batterskull end step, which I abrade. I drop the second Mongoose my next turn, and the turn after that he chumps with a Stoneforge. He then follows up on his turn with a True-Name Nemesis. We sit and stare at each other for a while, as I’m technically ahead on life, and he feels no pressure to put himself at risk to close the game out. After I draw garbage 3 turns in a row, he plays a Blood Moon. At this point, I look at the clock and see that there’s 10 minutes left. While I still don’t have any board presence, being 3-1 I recognize that my out to get into top 8 is drawing this game and winning the next one. I continue to just sit there and do nothing, as does he. Eventually he finds an Engineered Explosives, blows up my mongoose, and then just starts swinging. At this point, I finally scoop as I actually cannot cast anything and there’s no way I can not lose for 5 more minutes.

Round 6: 2-1 against UR Delver

I win Game 1 by playing pretty hard control before finally just landing a Mongoose and killing him with it. I removed a number of his threats, and his burn got me down to 5 but wasn’t enough to finish it. I misplayed ridiculously hard by literally forgetting to attack one turn while I was closing the game out, which caused him to start to come back into the game but didn’t find enough gas to kill me in one turn and not die on the crackback.

Game 2 I play a more aggressive hand, but it turns out the deck with 8 bolt effects is really good at removing your delvers. I get pretty thoroughly beaten this game, and it isn’t particularly close.

Game 3 goes a lot better, and was the most fun game I played all day. He plays out an Eidolon very early on a board where I have a flipped delver. He then tries to remove my delver, forcing me to cast a spell trying to remove it. Over the course of the game I hit him in increments of 3 while taking a total of 12 damage to the Eidolon protecting my Delver and removing his other threats. I didn’t want to remove the Eidolon because he was taking just as much damage to it, and I had a bolt in my hand as well as a Daze and a Spell Pierce, so I figured that when we both got low I could win the final blowout on the stack. The game ended when he cast Price while I was at 7, which would have dealt 4. This puts him down to 3 to cast. I Pierce, putting me to 5. He Dazes the Pierce, going down to 1. I respond by bolting him, which he cannot answer.

After this, I’m 4-2 before the break to top 8. Because of the way the bracket worked out, one 4-2 makes top 8 in addition to the 5-1s and the 4-1-1s. I end up in 10th place, missing out on top 8 but winning $30 in store credit.

Closing thoughts:

I really didn’t like Life from the Loam all day, although looking at my matchups it was never any of the matchups I really wanted it in. My opponents were on basic heavy decks all day or the games were supposed to be over sooner. I would have loved to see it against something like Grixis delver or Pile. The most value I got out of it was casting it with no targets to meet threshold, which is pretty garbage. I’m not going to give up on it yet, it’s been good for me other times, but I’m certainly going to be looking at this as I prepare for GP Seattle.

The Barbarian Ring in the sideboard was in a similar spot to Loam, not really finding its ideal matchup. I really enjoy seeing it in the D&T matchup, but I didn’t play it today at all.

The Hooting Mandrills vs goyf thing didn’t come up at all today, there was no time I saw Mandrills where I wished it was goyf, nor was there any time that I was glad it wasn’t goyf. Against elves it should have been relevant, but the board was totally empty and my clock didn’t change at all.

Overall, I felt like RUG was a good choice for the event, and Mongoose was the standout star of all my matchups. Very frequently what threat I had didn’t matter, but when it did matter I wanted it to be goose every time. In addition, I faced down exactly 1 Deathrite Shaman all day, which felt nice.

All of that aside, let me know if you think there's anything I was doing wrong, or if I seem to have the wrong ideas about a matchup. I'm admittedly not the best RUG player, and I still have a lot to learn.

Game 2 I keep a hand with delver, force and fodder, and a lot of removal. He starts with fetch, grab bayou, pass? I play a delver and pass. He then groans, doesn’t play a land, and plays a nettle sentinel. Delver flips, swings, and then I bolt the nettle sentinel. Next turn he plays a DRS, still missing his land drops. I dismember the DRS, swing, and then ponder into a wasteland. I waste him and he scoops.
    This seems like an obvious punt from your opp, not fetching basic forest, also why did he not play a spell on turn 1? Are you sure you're remembering this correctly?

Game 1 I had absolutely no business winning. My threats keep getting removed, but usually stick long enough to get 3-6 damage in before something happens to them. My opponent manages to stabilize at 4 with a Jace on the field and no threats on my side of the field. In hand I have Delver, Mongoose, Bolt, Daze, Daze. I cast a Mongoose, which my opponent counters. I then cast Delver, to which my opponent activates Azcanta to dig for answers. He finds Terminus. He then Counterspells. He now has 1 untapped dual and a fetch. I Daze once, which he pays for. I Daze against, to which he thinks for a moment and then actives his fetch, going to 3. I respond by Bolting him, for which he has no answer. No idea what he was doing, but I take the win. He seems pretty upset at himself over this, but is a nice guy and isn’t salty or anything.
    Generally if your opponent is so close to dying I would lead with the Delver there because it basically still demands an immediate answer and if their only available response is a counter or Terminus then your opp is left with fewer outs for your Mongoose (although if your opponent has active Azcanta this might be different, you want to kill the opponent ASAP so it might be better to deploy the more resilient threat first to force damage quickly)

Game 3 I make a play that I feel like is very questionable, but potentially correct. If anyone has input it’s super appreciated.

A few turns into the game, he stoneforges. I stifle the trigger, and then bolt the stone forge. The next turn he plays another one, grabs a batterskull, and passes. I have no more removal, so I hold up mana for abrade and pass back. He simply draws and passes. I draw, play a fetch, and the board state is then a stoneforge and 3 untapped land for him, and 3 lands and a Nimble Mongoose with 3 cards in the graveyard for me. I’m holding a Mongoose, Abrade, Spell Snare, Pyroblast. I decide to swing, because A. If he drops the Batterskull to block with to try to gain life, I’m confident I can abrade it and counter any response of his. and B. if he just blocks it, it helps fill my graveyard which I had no real belief would be hitting threshold anytime soon for my second Mongoose, and unlike against Miracles I can’t really win the long game.

Regardless, he blocks with stoneforge and then drops batterskull end step, which I abrade. I drop the second Mongoose my next turn, and the turn after that he chumps with a Stoneforge. He then follows up on his turn with a True-Name Nemesis. We sit and stare at each other for a while, as I’m technically ahead on life, and he feels no pressure to put himself at risk to close the game out. After I draw garbage 3 turns in a row, he plays a Blood Moon. At this point, I look at the clock and see that there’s 10 minutes left. While I still don’t have any board presence, being 3-1 I recognize that my out to get into top 8 is drawing this game and winning the next one. I continue to just sit there and do nothing, as does he. Eventually he finds an Engineered Explosives, blows up my mongoose, and then just starts swinging. At this point, I finally scoop as I actually cannot cast anything and there’s no way I can not lose for 5 more minutes.
    I'm not totally sure which is the part you think is questionable but personally there are a couple of things I think are wrong
    1. Stifling and then Bolting SFM. It seems like you have abrade in your hand at the time (unless you drew it the turn after) so why do you need to stop both the ETB trigger and kill the SFM? You can just Stifle the ETB and then wait for any equipment if they have it, or don't Stifle the ETB and Abrade whatever they find, but after both of these situations the SFM itself isn't threatening so why bolt it? You can see this after he plays the second SFM and you Abrade the Batterskull, the SFM does nothing else until it chump blocks your mongoose.
    2. Chump attacking your Mongoose into a SFM. Your hand has so much interaction that the only way you don't get cards in the graveyard is if your opponent doesn't play anything, but if they don't play anything then you don't care because you're currently under no pressure. Why do you think you can't win the 'long' game? (Please tell me you didn't use the Pyroblast on a land just to make Mongoose 3/3)

Playing for a draw is fine in this situation but as you found out if you're literally not doing anything each turn it's very hard not to lose unless you're stalling

Closing thoughts:

I really didn’t like Life from the Loam all day, although looking at my matchups it was never any of the matchups I really wanted it in. My opponents were on basic heavy decks all day or the games were supposed to be over sooner. I would have loved to see it against something like Grixis delver or Pile. The most value I got out of it was casting it with no targets to meet threshold, which is pretty garbage. I’m not going to give up on it yet, it’s been good for me other times, but I’m certainly going to be looking at this as I prepare for GP Seattle.
    I hate this card maindeck because it's very slow to have an impact and it doesn't help you when you're behind. In the SB I think it's good because your overall gameplan in most interactive matchups is to become more grindy so this drawback is less of an issue, and the combo with Barbarian Ring is really good. I would board it in vs Elves and Miracles and probably Stoneblade, but not UR

The Hooting Mandrills vs goyf thing didn’t come up at all today, there was no time I saw Mandrills where I wished it was goyf, nor was there any time that I was glad it wasn’t goyf. Against elves it should have been relevant, but the board was totally empty and my clock didn’t change at all.
    Personally I like Tarmogoyf better than Mandrills but you will see that Mandrills improves your % against Elves if you play enough games (although having a whopping 6 removal spells in your SB definitely makes trample less relevant)
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 02-19-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Got a 5-0 last night with the below it's pretty much Chemical Burns list.

Life from the loam and dead/gone over performed.

Abrade is sick in the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by themtgzealot View Post
    Got a 5-0 last night with the below it's pretty much Chemical Burns list.

Life from the loam and dead/gone over performed.

Abrade is sick in the sideboard.
    Can I get a summary of matchups, and spots where dead/gone was good
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 02-19-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Considering my Mandrills RUG list (with probes) and looking for additional ways to hedge against control matchups, I feel like Sylvan Library and Honden are both lackluster as techs (mostly so since I do not play Goyf). I also do not like TNN since they cost 3. Would Young Pyro be a good addition to the SB (2 of) in that regard? How about Search for Azcanta?

How do you guys play the Lands matchup?

Thanks, so far your comments have been very enlightening.

This seems like an obvious punt from your opp, not fetching basic forest, also why did he not play a spell on turn 1? Are you sure you're remembering this correctly?
    Yes, my round 1 opponent was just terrible. Apparently his friends had to convince him to be playing more than 2 GSZ, and he wanted to cut them again. I distinctly remember this match because I was astounded at how terribly my opp played.

Generally if your opponent is so close to dying I would lead with the Delver there because it basically still demands an immediate answer and if their only available response is a counter or Terminus then your opp is left with fewer outs for your Mongoose (although if your opponent has active Azcanta this might be different, you want to kill the opponent ASAP so it might be better to deploy the more resilient threat first to force damage quickly)
    I'll be entirely honest, I don't remember why I did it in this order but I suspect it was wrong

1. Stifling and then Bolting SFM. It seems like you have abrade in your hand at the time (unless you drew it the turn after)
    I drew it later, I at the time had no answer to a batterskull

2. Chump attacking your Mongoose into a SFM. Your hand has so much interaction that the only way you don't get cards in the graveyard is if your opponent doesn't play anything, but if they don't play anything then you don't care because you're currently under no pressure. Why do you think you can't win the 'long' game? (Please tell me you didn't use the Pyroblast on a land just to make Mongoose 3/3)
    I for sure did not throw pyroblast away. I'm not that bad haha. I'll explain my thinking here. Between Blood Moon, a bunch of removal, TNN, Stoneforge, EE, and all their counterspells, I didn't think I had the ability to be doing nothing because I just can't do things like putting a SoFI on a True-Name. My graveyard only had 3 cards in it, so I would have just been sitting there for a while hoping they didn't do anything I couldn't interact with.

That being said, I recognize that you're totally correct. I had Abrade for equipment and Pyroblast for TNN, and if they didn't do anything that lets me draw into things that let me actually fight over stuff. I think I was already anxious from the event and just got a bit panicky.

Playing for a draw is fine in this situation but as you found out if you're literally not doing anything each turn it's very hard not to lose unless you're stalling
    I was actually being conscious not to slow play, he just wasn't doing anything. We got to the point where we each had a full grip and were discarding each turn. I think the clock got to about 5 minutes. Sure, it was hopeless, but once the EE came down I just scooped because I don't need to make him swing 5 turns.

I hate this card maindeck because it's very slow to have an impact and it doesn't help you when you're behind. In the SB I think it's good because your overall gameplan in most interactive matchups is to become more grindy so this drawback is less of an issue, and the combo with Barbarian Ring is really good. I would board it in vs Elves and Miracles and probably Stoneblade, but not UR
    I've been feeling like I agree, but it's just won me games out of the blue too often to want to get rid of. I might end up just sideboarding it though, it might be too cute in the main. What do you think I should be taking out for a Barbarian Ring when I want that package?

Personally I like Tarmogoyf better than Mandrills but you will see that Mandrills improves your % against Elves if you play enough games (although having a whopping 6 removal spells in your SB definitely makes trample less relevant)
    I think that at least where I'm playing Mandrills is better, as there's a lot of elves and a lot of copies of Young Pyromancer. At the very least, I've liked it better, but I'm definitely open to testing with Tarmogoyf more as I know there's a reason other people prefer it.

EDIT: As I don't want to double post, yesterday I saw someone playing Sulfuric Vortex in their RUG sideboard. It did some serious work for them, and I believe they top 8'd. Any thoughts on it? Card seems sweet if not a little hard to cast, but I can't imagine it's bad against quite a few of the slower decks in the format. Jace lines up horrendously against a resolved Vortex, for example.
    Last edited by FiliusIcari; 02-19-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboninja View Post
    Considering my Mandrills RUG list (with probes) and looking for additional ways to hedge against control matchups, I feel like Sylvan Library and Honden are both lackluster as techs (mostly so since I do not play Goyf). I also do not like TNN since they cost 3. Would Young Pyro be a good addition to the SB (2 of) in that regard? How about Search for Azcanta?

1. What does Sylvan or Honden have to do with Goyf?
    2. Why do you dislike Sylvan Library but are interested in Azcanta?
    3. Azcanta is still 'effectively' a 3 drop, like TNN, because you need 3 other lands in play to activate it
    4. What does young Pyro do that you are interested in, what matchup do you want it for?

Dec 2016
    Toronto Canada

Sylvan Library is insane in grindy matchups in general. The long term filtering eventually will turn into virtual card advantage very much like what Sensei's Divining Top did for Counter Top Miracles, and that is just the minimum that Sylvan Library does. Sylvan Library can just draw you extra cards over the course of a game, given it is at a little pricey, but the extra cards can net you a massive advantage. That said, I strongly suggest playing Sylvan Library in the sideboard.

Also side note, I may be playing some higher level events soon with Canadian Threshold, so I might write a report if anyone wants to hear my experiences with the Mandrills build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I tap all 5 of my lands on my turn. He's like....OMG not Shriekmaw. I land Batterskull. He's like. Ok sure. LOL, not very often someone is more happy to see Batterskull then a Shriekmaw.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    They both get bopped by swords, this is not really an important consideration.

I agree that no anti-control cards seems rough (and with only mongoose as shroud creatures this will make the lands matchup harder)
    I don't like Submerge as an answer for Marit Lage because good opponents will always play around it as much as possible by not playing Forests (e.g. I think the GB Turbo lists are playing Blooming Marsh specifically for this reason)
    I think if you aren't playing Goyf (so you don't care about different card types and therefore aren't interested in Seal of Fire or Tarfire) then Dead/Gone is a good card, it's better at answering DRS than Submerge (I don't mind boarding in 1 Forked Bolt vs DRS decks even though I expect it to be Sorcery Shock a lot of the time).

Also props to 'TBR87' on modo for going 5-0 with the Honden tech

Creature (11)
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tarmogoyf
    Sorcery (4)
    4 Ponder
    Instant (25)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    Enchantment (1)
    1 Seal of Fire
    Land (18)
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    Tribal instant (1)
    1 Tarfire
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Destructive Revelry
    1 Dismember
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Honden of Infinite Rage
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Rough // Tumble
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    Hi all, tbr87 here. I managed to get another 5-0 with the exact same list yesterday. I play occasionally but I usually get 2-4 wins per league. I would like to share my thoughts after my recent success and see how else I can improve the deck, especially the sideboard. My matchups for both 5-0s are as follows:

DNT
    UW Stoneblade with Back to basics
    Omni-show
    Grixis Delver
    Grixis Delver

Eldrazi Post
    Jund
    Eldrazi Stompy (Eldrazi Mimic & Matter Reshaper) with Cloudpost
    RB Reanimator (with Young Pyromancer/Stronghold Gambit in Sideboard)
    Aluren

Here are my thoughts on specific cards in my main deck. Please feel free to post your opinions:

Tarmogoyf is overall a better main deck card than Mandrils with the inclusion of Seal of Fire/Tarfire removal package. Being able to outgrow opposing Gurmag Anglers and Reality Smashers is quite relevant against popular decks like Grixis and Eldrazi. Against other random matchups like Burn/Prison it is an efficient beat stick with a fast clock (countering artifacts/enchantments is common enough for Goyf to grow to a 5/6 or 6/7 versus random decks). While I recognize the strength of Mandrils against Abrupt Decay and Fatal Push, there isn't a large number of these cards in the current meta and Delver of Secrets already dies to those cards. Nimble Mongoose shines in those match-ups and the Goyfs can be sideboarded out for TNN/removal. Also I find the anti-synergy of Mandrils + Mongoose rather distasteful, especially since I view Nimble Mongoose as the MVP card against removal-heavy decks.

I like the Tarfire/Seal of Fire mix because I am playing 3 Pierce so the sorcery speed removal hurts.

I also like the idea of Dead/Gone in the main deck against opposing Dark Depths decks but I still prefer the "Grow Goyf" removal package overall.

Spell Snare is amazing in this meta and should definitely not be cut. It is also great against Edict effects post-board.

I dislike Gitaxian Probe because the life loss is relevant against Grixis and your general game plan against all decks is always the same: Use your soft counters to prevent your opponents from developing the board, stick a threat and use your burn spells for reach/ creature removal. You don't have synergistic cards like Young Pyromancer or Cabal Therapy in your deck to generate additional value.

The meta I face on MTGO is quite varied. I see Storm, Burn, Midrange, Delver, Reanimator, Dredge, Merfolk, DnT, Elves, Miracles, Lands etc in the leagues. This makes me reluctant to add Dismember to the main deck.

Here are my thoughts on specific cards in my sideboard. I am still looking to optimize my sideboard so please feel free to post your opinions:

Ground Seal is great. It stops the late game value of snapcaster mage, deathrite shaman, life from the loam, kolaghan's command AND it draws you a card. It's also difficult to counter and remove other than Abrupt Decay. I am always glad to board it in against any grindy decks to stop them from out-valuing you. It also comes in against Reanimator.

Honden of Infinite Rage is tech taken from kombatkiwi. It is supposed to ping Baleful Strix and other small creatures and is also an alternate win-con that plays around creature removal. But it is quite a slow card and has not been very relevant in the 10 matches I played. I still like it though so I'll continue testing it out.

Grafdigger's Cage/ Surgical Extraction: Currently 2/1 split instead of 1/2 split because I respect Dredge decks. Cage is still good against GSZ & ANT as well.

2 Flusterstorm: Because even with 2 Cage and 3 Pierce I find myself disadvantaged against the good Storm pilots

Rough/Tumble is still a great one-sided wrath even though it hits your own TNN but it doesn't kill theirs I would love to find a way to squeeze in another one of these.

TNN is great I would love another one but he's currently 70 tix on MTGO

Pithing Needle is a great catch-all card especially against Lands, BG depths, DnT and the card attacks from a different angle.

Ancient Grudge/ Destructive Revelry: Playing a 1/1 split to deal with pesky enchantments like Counterbalance/Carpet of Flowers/Blood Moon. I am unsure if I should increase the count of artifact removal due to limited Sideboard space. Also, I don't see how Abrade is better than Ancient Grudge. What kind of match-ups are good where the flexibility of Abrade is better? Stoneforge decks? I guess it could replace Dismember but I still find it useful against Gurmag Anglers/Eldrazi.

Life from the Loam/Sylvan Library/Chart a Course/Predict: My experience with these cards is that they take a long time to generate value and do not provide an immediate impact on the board, which is generally what I am look for in my sideboard cards. Additional card draw in RUG is not as powerful compared to other decks as our cards are less powerful and we do not need that many lands to cast our spells. Drawing additional dazes/stifles/lands doesn't feel very good. I prefer boarding in cards that are a must-answer for the opponent once deployed. Loam is probably good against other Wasteland decks but I still find it clunky in actual games.

I would love to somehow fit in a bounce spell in the sideboard against Marit Lange decks. Seems like Vapor Snag, Perilous Voyage and Dead/Gone are the better choices out there currently.

I would love hear more feedback and alternative card choices to optimize RUG delver. I recognize that Grixis Delver is the deck with more raw power, but I enjoy the sleek efficiency of RUG and playing with Stifle & Nimble Mongoose.
    Using Tapatalk

I like the idea of Ground Seal but I dislike that it turns off my own LftL
    I think that LftL provides a different angle to something like predict because continuously recurring wasteland can be a legit wincon in certain matchups and I like the combo with Barbarian Ring.
    I don't really like Rough/Tumble either but apart from that I agree with pretty much everything you say.

I thought I found the nut answer for Dark Depths: Fog Bank, except the GB Turbo version still has Sejiri Steppe to attack past it (and against RG they can obviously Punishing Fire it). And then how do you win if your opponent just leaves Marit Lage in play? Wait to draw TNN? What a stupid idea

If you want a dedicated anti-Lage card I think Dead/Gone is the best option I have seen, obviously Vapor Snag is better against exactly Lage but Shock is playable in other matchups

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Yeah Fog Bank is terrible; perhaps worth considering at though is Gilded Drake as it can also be brought in against Reanimator and Emrakul decks. If you wanted a Fog effect, I'd suggest instead running Constant Mists or perhaps Moment's Peace. Unlikely, but maybe even Dawnstrider.

I *love* how amazing Ground Seal is against 4C-Control. And it even cantrips! Definitely a card I hadn't considered playing for awhile. I would still backup your GY hate with a few copies of Grafdigger's Cage and/or Surgical Extraction.

Honden of Infinite Rage has been nice as a slower Sulfuric Vortex that also pings X/1 critters. Especially useful against Baleful Strix, and against DnT or Elves. I've had plenty of games where it comes down to just needing a few extra points of damage, where Honden is able to close out.

Sep 2015
    Canada

1. What does Sylvan or Honden have to do with Goyf?
    2. Why do you dislike Sylvan Library but are interested in Azcanta?
    3. Azcanta is still 'effectively' a 3 drop, like TNN, because you need 3 other lands in play to activate it
    4. What does young Pyro do that you are interested in, what matchup do you want it for?
    1. If they are countered, they grow Goyf. Might be irrelevant.
    2. Sylvan hurts with Probes and Dismember, and Search for Azcanta fills my graveyard with its scry.
    3. No need to flip it right away, I feel like it can help you filter your draws until eventually you flip it.
    4. Against Miracles, Czech and Grixis. Any deck with plenty of removal.

Overall, I feel like Search for Azcanta might fill a similar role to Sylvan, while being more appropriate with Probe and Mandrills.

4. Against Miracles, Czech and Grixis. Any deck with plenty of removal.
    I believe this is Mongoose's role in our deck, and after that TNN if you want it. I don't think the current build really needs more of it, because Pyromancer still has all the current problems that Goose does(board wipes, blockers). You could probably try a recent Grixis Delver style build of RUG where you play actual 15 threats with like 4/4/3/2/2 of Delver, Goose, Goyf, Pyromancer, TNN. I can't imagine it'll be any better than current builds, but it would be a pain in the ass for people to deal with.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I like the idea of Ground Seal but I dislike that it turns off my own LftL
    I think that LftL provides a different angle to something like predict because continuously recurring wasteland can be a legit wincon in certain matchups and I like the combo with Barbarian Ring.
    I don't really like Rough/Tumble either but apart from that I agree with pretty much everything you say.

I thought I found the nut answer for Dark Depths: Fog Bank, except the GB Turbo version still has Sejiri Steppe to attack past it (and against RG they can obviously Punishing Fire it). And then how do you win if your opponent just leaves Marit Lage in play? Wait to draw TNN? What a stupid idea

If you want a dedicated anti-Lage card I think Dead/Gone is the best option I have seen, obviously Vapor Snag is better against exactly Lage but Shock is playable in other matchups
    Repeal? U, draw a card, kill target Marit Lage. Paying 1U isn't out of the question for 1-drops either. Not sure the draw is more important than the Dead/Gone potential, but it is more mana efficient for Depths specifically.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by FiliusIcari View Post
    I believe this is Mongoose's role in our deck, and after that TNN if you want it. I don't think the current build really needs more of it, because Pyromancer still has all the current problems that Goose does(board wipes, blockers).
    ^ This

Repeal is a good catch compared to Vapor Snag but I think the versatility of Dead/Gone might still be better for the general metagame.

In the matchups where you want Sylvan Library but the lifeloss is relevant your opponent will be playing Wasteland which negates Azcanta anyway.
    Saying that 'you don't have to flip it right away and can just let it filter your draws' is technically true, but this is a really underwhelming payoff for committing 1 card and 2 mana.
    Then in matchups where your manabase and life total aren't being pressured Azcanta could be good, but this is the exact situation where Sylvan Library is great.
    I haven't tested Azcanta much (in this deck) so I could be wrong but this is my initial impression.

Can I get a summary of matchups, and spots where dead/gone was good
    Only just saw this can't remember too many details but I played against

D&T x2, Turbo Depths, Aluren, Sneak and Show and Czech Pile.

Dead was very good as it can kill all the problem creatures like Thalia, Deathrite etc, but gone was very useful highlights were bouncing marit lage, griselbrand and also Gurmag anglers.

Sep 2015
    Canada

^ This

Repeal is a good catch compared to Vapor Snag but I think the versatility of Dead/Gone might still be better for the general metagame.

In the matchups where you want Sylvan Library but the lifeloss is relevant your opponent will be playing Wasteland which negates Azcanta anyway.
    Saying that 'you don't have to flip it right away and can just let it filter your draws' is technically true, but this is a really underwhelming payoff for committing 1 card and 2 mana.
    Then in matchups where your manabase and life total aren't being pressured Azcanta could be good, but this is the exact situation where Sylvan Library is great.
    I haven't tested Azcanta much (in this deck) so I could be wrong but this is my initial impression.
    Ok you make fair points. How about this sideboard for my Hooting Mandrills list:

SB:
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Destructive Revelry
    1 Submerge
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Dismember
    1 Dead // Gone
    2 Rough // Tumble

Edit: I really want to keep one dismember for Eldrazi, Gurmag and Goyf matchups. Maybe 2 Pyroblasts is too few against TNN decks. Since I went down one Abrade to fit another Rough // Tumble, I changed the other Abrade for Ancient Grudge to keep my artifact removal count up.
    Last edited by Turboninja; 02-21-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin87 View Post
    Ground Seal is great. It stops the late game value of snapcaster mage, deathrite shaman, life from the loam, kolaghan's command AND it draws you a card. It's also difficult to counter and remove other than Abrupt Decay. I am always glad to board it in against any grindy decks to stop them from out-valuing you. It also comes in against Reanimator.
    My bolding.

Is this really true?
    I am not a rules expert, but I did not consider Loam to be the "target" of any effect when dredgeing. Therefore I would assume that Ground Seal doesn't interact with Loam at all.
    Anyone with more insight may feel free to explain to me exactly how this work, if it works. Thanks.

Thread Information