Page 101 of 147 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

There's also the factor that in local events, a much higher percentage of your opponent will be on niche-decks, which Canadian traditionally struggles with. This is part of the reason I'm no longer grinding MTGO Leagues with the deck.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Hmmmm, very interesting using 2 tarfire to increase Tarmogoyf...
    I tried 2 Tarfire in the past. It doesn't feed Goyf consistently enough, and does nothing extra for Mongoose or Delver. I prefer the 2-for-1 of Forked Bolt but my testing is limited.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

What do you think about to create a whats app group for canadian players?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    There's also the factor that in local events, a much higher percentage of your opponent will be on niche-decks, which Canadian traditionally struggles with. This is part of the reason I'm no longer grinding MTGO Leagues with the deck.
    Yeah I love the deck and feel very confident in my abilities playing it. I'm probably going to play it at chiba in November. Just getting-got by nic fit, Merfolk and wading through a vomit of dnt has been upsetting as of late. Oh and 4c loam that's a match up I'm fine playing just need to get better at it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mar 2014
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Killer View Post
    Does anyone feel like this deck is never a good deck to main constantly at your LGS? I've always found that I can do well at large events locally and even better abroad when people don't know what I'm on. Then when I play weekly 4 round events I average probably 2/2 - 3/1. I'm just curious if anyone else also feels that this deck is at a huge disadvantage when people know you're on it vs when they're blind.

Yeah, everyone plays around stifle and waste against me from the get go. I have tried playing other decks (I've enjoyed elves and tried Shardless and maverick) at local scgs and such, but I always regret it when I don't play Canadian. There isn't another deck in magic that suits me like it does.

Yeah I love the deck and feel very confident in my abilities playing it. I'm probably going to play it at chiba in November. Just getting-got by nic fit, Merfolk and wading through a vomit of dnt has been upsetting as of late. Oh and 4c loam that's a match up I'm fine playing just need to get better at it.

To be fair, all the Delver variants are going to struggle with the decks you just mentioned.

I talk myself out of switching to Grixis Delver all the time. It obviously puts up better results, but im really not quite sure what matchups it is better than RUG for. It seems like the matchups that are hard for RUG would also be hard for Grixis? I dont know, like Plowshares says, this deck just plays Magic the way i like to play, so its hard to give up!
    Last edited by LewisCBR; 08-30-2016 at 04:29 PM.

How do people feel about the new Prelate? It makes me wary, but I am not overly worried, though I seem to see a fair bit of D&T so am considering options. At the moment I feel like I want to drop my 1-of Forked Bolt and Dismember for 2x Sudden Shock main. Seems like it could help with other issues too. Any criticisms?

Quote Originally Posted by iceagedisenchant View Post
    How do people feel about the new Prelate? It makes me wary, but I am not overly worried, though I seem to see a fair bit of D&T so am considering options. At the moment I feel like I want to drop my 1-of Forked Bolt and Dismember for 2x Sudden Shock main. Seems like it could help with other issues too. Any criticisms?
    My experience is that it is significantly easier to kill than chalice just by being a creature. Obviously if all your removal is 1cmc it will get you good. I'd run dismember for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by LewisCBR View Post
    To be fair, all the Delver variants are going to struggle with the decks you just mentioned.

I talk myself out of switching to Grixis Delver all the time. It obviously puts up better results, but im really not quite sure what matchups it is better than RUG for. It seems like the matchups that are hard for RUG would also be hard for Grixis? I dont know, like Plowshares says, this deck just plays Magic the way i like to play, so its hard to give up!
    Yeah the match ups I mentioned has more been a personal meta ditch I've been stuck and was more of a side note. I'm just curious if I'm the only who feels the decks power level increases exponentially when you're under the radar. I know that's what it's felt like at both grand prixs that I've played at. Even shardless feels winnable when you go fetch pass (otd) snare there runner, untap drop goyf, force their next big play etc.

Grixis vs Canadian - matchups - Which is better?

Grixis vs Canadian - Canadian has advantage
    __
    ANT/TES/Belcher/All Spells - Canadian
    Team America - Grixis
    Miracles - Canadian
    Patriot - Grixis
    Affinity - Similar
    Dredge - Similar
    Aggro Loam - Similar
    Shardless BUG - Similar
    Sneak and Show - Similar
    Infect - Canadian
    Blades - Grixis
    Burn - Similar
    Lands - Canadian
    Death and Taxes - Grixis
    Maverick - Canadian
    Eldrazi - Grixis
    Elves - Canadian
    Goblins - Similar
    Merfolk - Canadian
    Jund - Canadian
    Reanimator/Tin Fins - Canadian

What do you think? Let's discuss in this way, If you disagree tell me and help me to remember more match ups.

Has anyone tried Hidden Gibbons over Nimble Mongoose? A 4/4 for for 1 with a drawback that is in my opinion thee equivalent to acquiring threshold. Also, neither creature is bolt bait. Is a 3/3 with Shroud better than a 4/4 with no abilities?
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    Has anyone tried Hidden Gibbons over Nimble Mongoose? A 4/4 for for 1 with a drawback that is in my opinion thee equivalent to acquiring threshold. Also, neither creature is bolt bait. Is a 3/3 with Shroud better than a 4/4 with no abilities?
    Impossible in legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    Goose would be unplayable without shroud, so no, I don't think so.

Grixis vs Canadian - matchups - Which is better?

Grixis vs Canadian - Canadian has advantage
    __
    ANT/TES/Belcher/All Spells - Canadian
    Team America - Grixis
    Miracles - Canadian
    Patriot - Grixis
    Affinity - Similar
    Dredge - Similar
    Aggro Loam - Similar
    Shardless BUG - Similar
    Sneak and Show - Similar
    Infect - Canadian
    Blades - Grixis
    Burn - Similar
    Lands - Canadian
    Death and Taxes - Grixis
    Maverick - Canadian
    Eldrazi - Grixis
    Elves - Canadian
    Goblins - Similar
    Merfolk - Canadian
    Jund - Canadian
    Reanimator/Tin Fins - Canadian

What do you think? Let's discuss in this way, If you disagree tell me and help me to remember more match ups.
    I would look at the distinct differences first rather than match ups and go from there. Understanding how the decks differences work and even out is much more useful than a list of match ups and which one is better.

a)threats: Rug Delver has the most efficient/mana threats in legacy period. There's just no denying this. Goose having shroud wins you match ups while goyf is the best power you can get for 2 mana.

Now if we look at grixis threats they have deathrite, YP, angler and TNN. Deathrite serves as a more efficient threat vs combo since goose can sometimes have trouble getting to threshold if all we're doing is holding a grip full of counters. YP can go wide whereas goyf is I think at least half a turn faster initially. They're somewhat similar, but again goes back to the fact that goyf is more efficient while YP is better as the game goes on. Angler is a slightly better goyf that can dodge decay, but also will only be viable turn 3 at the earliest and is worse in multiples. The only real reason why I'm listing TNN in here is that he's more accessible in this shell.

B) disruption: cabal therapy single handedly tips the scales of combo match ups in grixis favor. That card is absurd and even more scary if you're good with it. After that the only real thing to point out is grixis has better accessibility to dismember. It can also run stuff like murderous cut.

Overall grixis is probably better because of how yp, deathrite and to a lesser extent angler get their damage through. They're not as efficient is the key thing to realize. This is where rug gains a lot of margins vs miracles and uwx blade control because those decks have a much harder time dealing with goose than they do any of grixis' threats. Even decks like 4c loam have more trouble with goose than deathrite or yp because they can just p-fire them. It's just throwing around percentages I don't think either is strictly better.

Is anyone here planning to go to chiba and want to meet up to test in Japan?

I would look at the distinct differences first rather than match ups and go from there. Understanding how the decks differences work and even out is much more useful than a list of match ups and which one is better.

a)threats: Rug Delver has the most efficient/mana threats in legacy period. There's just no denying this. Goose having shroud wins you match ups while goyf is the best power you can get for 2 mana.

Now if we look at grixis threats they have deathrite, YP, angler and TNN. Deathrite serves as a more efficient threat vs combo since goose can sometimes have trouble getting to threshold if all we're doing is holding a grip full of counters. YP can go wide whereas goyf is I think at least half a turn faster initially. They're somewhat similar, but again goes back to the fact that goyf is more efficient while YP is better as the game goes on. Angler is a slightly better goyf that can dodge decay, but also will only be viable turn 3 at the earliest and is worse in multiples. The only real reason why I'm listing TNN in here is that he's more accessible in this shell.

B) disruption: cabal therapy single handedly tips the scales of combo match ups in grixis favor. That card is absurd and even more scary if you're good with it. After that the only real thing to point out is grixis has better accessibility to dismember. It can also run stuff like murderous cut.

Overall grixis is probably better because of how yp, deathrite and to a lesser extent angler get their damage through. They're not as efficient is the key thing to realize. This is where rug gains a lot of margins vs miracles and uwx blade control because those decks have a much harder time dealing with goose than they do any of grixis' threats. Even decks like 4c loam have more trouble with goose than deathrite or yp because they can just p-fire them. It's just throwing around percentages I don't think either is strictly better.

Good point, really. I feel Canadian is better on practice than theory. If you compares goose against shaman, well, is ridiculous. Shaman is a better card. But shaman dies and sometimes doesn't work the way you imagine. I play in a strong field and my results are really good. I will write some considerations about the last tournment (last sunday) but I can tell you that I won TES and Sneak and Show without one single delver.

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=21268&iddeck=162884

I was second, with 5 wins and 1 loss. I'll do a mini-report writing what I remember.

Bye
    2x0 TES
    2x1 Omni-Sneak
    2x1 Eldrazi
    0x2 Deadguy Ale (BWG Blade)
    2x0 RUG Delver

-
    Bye - As I had won the previous step, I had the right to one bye in the first round.
    -
    2x0 TES - started in draw

G1: I knew the deck of my opponent, I kept a hand with 1 goyf, 1 daze, 2 waste, 3 fetchs. He fortunately not comboed in t1, then I used 2 waste on his lands in two consecutive turns (fortunately it did not come with fetch to get the basics). He had problems for a while with lands and I managed to cast goyf. The game was still very tense because I had not imposed an early clock, but I wn in the last round it was possible.
    G2: I opened with mongoose and was annulling the disposal of discards and combo. I left him with little life and ad nauseam was not effective enough for him complete the combo. It was a very difficult game, I had to hit with mongoose and goyf, and both are not good against storm. Goyf was beating 2-3 and mongoose 1 for many rounds.
    -
    2x1 Omni-Sneak - started in play

G1: Open tropical / mongoose (I hate open mongoose, especially without fetch, but it was what I had). My clock was very weak until the end of the game, left him with 9 life, counter 1 show and tell, but I could not undo the next intuition. Few counters, no clock, some burns ... I lost the G1.
    G2: I started again with mongoose in T1 and T2. I do not remember many details of that game, but I used some important wastelands and he ended up "killing himself" with the tombs. In the end, he was 10 of life, solved a sneak attack, made grisel, drawed 7, but did not come nothing. Next turn I beated with goyf and mongooses. WON.
    G3: I keepo a GREAT hand. 1 Fetch, 2 brainstorm, 2 fluster, 1 daze, 1 fow .. but no creature. Drawed a card, downed a fetch and passed .. in my next turn, I drawed a card (not land) and casted a BS to find land ... NO LAND. Then complicated. The game was far away, and I was countering everything I could. Then one hour finally came land and goyf. I won in last turn possible. It was tight, a game that had everything to be good for me. As if this were not enough, instead of my opponent combo with show and tell, he comboed 3x with sneak, causing my flusters become food for fow. Nothing about Delver so far in the tournament.
    -
    2x1 Eldrazi - started in the draw (this Eldrazi was colorless / white, had thalia, gaga and Revoker)

G1: I won the game in detail, it was well fought. I do not remember very well, I was very focused on the game. I remember he did thalia in t2, t3 gaga and I was only defending myself (including my mana base, stifle the waste) and trying to kill his creatures. Then I did Delver and goyf and win the race. I had some problems with Jitte, but managed to overcome.
    G2: He started with mana / mox / chalice in t1 and I had no fow. There has complicated everything. I still played very well, TNN + goyfs almost won the game yet, just almost.
    G3: Open mana / Delver. He tried again to make chalice to 1 at T1, but I had a savior daze of all homelands. I destroyed his white mana, was depending on mox, I destroyed with natural state. He casted a batterskull, I destroyed it with grudge. And the Delver beating. He tried to cast the Eldrazi 5/5 trample, but had another daze. Then I made another goyf and won.
    -
    0x2 Deadguy Ale - started the play

G1: I opened well with mana/Delver, then immediately casted goyf, the game has developed and he ended up winning with 1 life. I believe I had made a mistake in this game. There was a time that I attacked his liliana with 1 creature, but if I had attacked the player could have won, there was no need to attack liliana.
    G2: I made a very amateur mistake in this game that committed irreversibly the game. He made gaga in t2 and took batterskull. I was holding a bolt and a natural state. Did not kill gaga for believing that the natural state destroyed the batterskul. I tested this card for the first time in the tournament. The first thing I did when I got home was take it from the side and return to the destructive reverly. This match was a complete disaster, I played very badly, completely unfocused. I deserved defeat, without taking the merits of my opponent played very well, especially in G1.
    -
    2x0 Mirror - started in draw

I went into this match with a chance to be champion yet. My opponent was a very experienced and skilled player, it was a very difficult match.
    G1: Starting at the draw in the mirror is a very stressful experience. Even more he opened mana / Delver. He used the strategy of winning in the race, countering several my removals, attacked the mana base and I went to 7 life. In the middle / end of the game we were both with 1 Delver and 1 mongoose on the desk, but I managed to find more creatures (+1 +1 Delver and mongoose) and turn the match.
    G2: I kept a hand with one fetch and 1 waste. I did not find lands for a 3 turns unitl come the second land. Meanwhile it took Delver pressure. I had to appeal to dismember because he had annulled the bolts and forked, leading my life to 4. When I finally killed the Delver and cast 1 mongoose, he comes with goyf. I cast submerge and 1 goyf, he destroyed with dismember anyway ... was a bartering until in the end I had controlled the board. I had 2 stifles in my hand and he 2 fetchs standing. I managed to put 2 delver and 1 mongoose on the table as he had 1 Delver and 1 mongoose. Then I went banging 1 leaving the other to block. I won last turn possible, he was one of life and could not use a fow would guarantee victory.

I had some luck in the last three tournaments with RUG, history 15V-4L-0D. These four games I lost were: 1 Burn, 1 Team America, 1 Deadguy Ale and 1 Eldrazi.

I will make some changes in the side, but I intend to keep the main deck as is.

Sorry my english, I guess you can understand, I have not practiced very much.

=D

Aug 2015
    Norcal

What do you think about to create a whats app group for canadian players?
    I'd lean towards an FB chat. There's a few other decks out there that have FB groups+chats to discuss stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    I'd lean towards an FB chat. There's a few other decks out there that have FB groups+chats to discuss stuff
    Of course! Add me> https://www.facebook.com/tiagoblauth

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    Isn’t this sort of what The Source is for?

Thread Information