Page 111 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    Glad the deck felt as smooth as butter as it has been for me, and glad my list served you well :) I wouldn't recommend Rough // Tumble to deal with the D&T problem. If anything an extra spot removal spell would be better - something along the lines of Forked Bolt/Electrickery/Sudden Shock/Fire//Ice or even an extra Ring.

Typically vs. Miracles indeed you should side out as many of your Plowable threats. I typically end up with a few Delvers left in, which either end up as Force food or can occasionally steal some games when you fully mana screw the opponent.
    I know you are DnT player, so I will take your advice very seriously :-) I love Fire / Ice, so maybe I will give a try...or Forked Bolt, which is insane sometimes. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    Got ninth in a sixty-six person tournament in Melbourne Australia, with more traditional Canadian (RUG Delver) wrote a report:

https://thesaltminesite.com/2017/03/...ian-threshold/

List felt very smooth and couldn't be too sad about it, happy to hear how I played poorly/sideboarded weirdly.
    Really liked your report and congrats on the solid finish.

My questions/thoughts:
    -Life from the Loam is absurd in so many matchups...I've been jamming this deck in our local Legacy scene for a couple weeks and my win percentage against delver decks and lands is insanely high when I cast this. What are your thoughts on a 2nd loam out of the board? It's really worked well for me.

-Along the same Life from the Loam topic....What are your thoughts on 2 Ghost Quarter out of the board? Against miracles it keeps them off white and against lands it's Wastelands 5-6.

-Main deck barbarian ring?

-I'm disappointed with Hooting Mandrills and I've been playing True-names main.

Maybe my findings above are biased based on our local metagame...

Also, going to GP Vegas..so would love to get anyone else's thoughts on the above...

Long time player....first time poster...

Quote Originally Posted by bamannov View Post
    Really liked your report and congrats on the solid finish.

My questions/thoughts:
    -Life from the Loam is absurd in so many matchups...I've been jamming this deck in our local Legacy scene for a couple weeks and my win percentage against delver decks and lands is insanely high when I cast this. What are your thoughts on a 2nd loam out of the board? It's really worked well for me.

-Along the same Life from the Loam topic....What are your thoughts on 2 Ghost Quarter out of the board? Against miracles it keeps them off white and against lands it's Wastelands 5-6.

-Main deck barbarian ring?

-I'm disappointed with Hooting Mandrills and I've been playing True-names main.

Maybe my findings above are biased based on our local metagame...

Also, going to GP Vegas..so would love to get anyone else's thoughts on the above...

Long time player....first time poster...

could you post us your decklist? :)

Quote Originally Posted by fapsik View Post
    could you post us your decklist? :)
    Here's my list. My meta game is mostly Grixis Delver, Lands, some Miracles, D&T, and some random stuff. Very little combo actually.

10 Creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    2 True-Name Nemesis

32 Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Spell Snare
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Dismember
    1 Counterspell

18 lands
    4 Wasteland
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest

SB:
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Ghost Quarter
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Winter Orb
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Sudden Demise
    1 Pithing Needle

I would love feedback on the above and get people's thoughts on SB plans. Maybe I'm too "all-in" with Life from the Loam, but the amount I win when I cast it is pretty high.

I once beat a UW/b Miracles deck through an Ensnaring bridge simply by Wasteland/GQuarter locking them out of the game

I'll be at GP Vegas if anyone wants to hangout and share ideas...

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

No, you're correct, Loam is really good right now. I have 2 Loam 1 Ring main with an extra 2 Rings in the board at this point. I dislike Ghost Quarter. It takes too long for Quarter to actually do something against decks with basics. I'd much rather Orb them (Miracles) or Ring-lock them (all the other decks). I think Ring is superior to sweepers at this point.

If I were to play with Delver, I would probably run the same creature-suite as you do, just without the sideboard True-Name. I think it's somewhere between reasonable and good to have 2 Ring / 1 Loam against Miracles after sideboarding.

I played Dark Thresh at Eternal Weekend by the way. My list wasn't tuned well enough and I don't think it's reasonable to run a deck without Pyroblast if you want to win a Legacy tournament. It's definitely possible to squeeze Pyroblasts into the Dark Thresh sideboard though. Here's my list from the event, theorycrafted on Friday with HJ:

3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose

3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Counterspell
    4 Daze
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Wasteland

1 Life from the Loam
    1 Painful Truths
    4 Ponder

//Sideboard:
    3 Winter Orb
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Invasive Surgery
    2 Cabal Pit
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Painful Truths
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Apr 2017
    Brazil, Santa Catarina

Hi everyone!

First time writing, long time reading and playing.

First of all, I would like to say thank you for everyone, for all hard work you doing here. :)

I was a Infect player for a long time, but I'm not so happy with my results with the deck in my meta... So I've decide to change a "little". I became a Grixis/RUG Delver, and I have to say... WOW! :D

Every day I came here in search for new tips and advices, and I'm very happy to found some help with the deck I choose to play.

This week I played a little with some friends, and I would like to share some thoughts.

That's the list that I played:

4 x Delver of Secrets
    4 x Nimble Mongoose
    2 x Hooting Mandrils

1 x Sylvan Library

4 x Ponder
    1 x Life from the Loam

4 x Brainstorm
    4 x Daze
    4 x Force of Will
    4 x Stifle
    2 x Spell Pierce
    1 x Spell Snare
    1 x Counterspell
    4 x Lightning Bolt
    1 x Forked Bolt
    1 x Dismember

4 x Misty Rainforest
    4 x Flooded Strand
    3 x Tropical Island
    3 x Volcanic Island
    4 x Wasteland

I've played against BR Reanimator, BG Depths and Maverick.

The deck performs really well agains all this 3 decks. We don't play with sideboards, by the way. I only lose one game for BG depths, and 1 match for the Maverick.

Ok, so here we go...

- I really love the Mandrils! They did a GREAT job! Every time a needed a creature, I wish it was a Mandrils. 4/4 trample for 1 green mana? I'll take it!
    - The match that I lost for the Maverick, was for couldn't search some finishers. I felt that only have 10 creatures in the deck was a little poor. I'll go try 2 more TNN (even think the 3cmc is a little heavy for the deck style).
    - I'll cut the Counterspell for another Spell Snare. Every time a had a CS in hands, I wish it was a Spell Snare. Holding the 2 mana open for a CS delayed me a little. Maybe a I should try a little more and buy the idea... But... I'll made this the change for a while.
    - The only time I see Life from the Loam, he didn't help me as I wanted. Was against Maverick, in the match that I lost. Maybe against Mav., Loam doesn't shine as I wish.
    - Sylvan Library is a must. I've always think that if you're in green, you have to play Library.
    - I really would like to put in another Spell Pierce. Since we try to punish their mana base, I think Pierce can do a great job. Don't you think?

Ok, that is it!

Greetings from Brazil and sorry for the bad english :)
    Last edited by Nola; 04-07-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Hi everyone!

First time writing, long time reading and playing.

First of all, I would like to say thank you for everyone, for all hard work you doing here. :)

I was a Infect player for a long time, but I'm not so happy with my results with the deck in my meta... So I've decide to change a "little". I became a Grixis/RUG Delver, and I have to say... WOW! :D

Every day I came here in search for new tips and advices, and I'm very happy to found some help with the deck I choose to play.

This week I played a little with some friends, and I would like to share some thoughts.

That's the list that I played:

4 x Delver of Secrets
    4 x Nimble Mongoose
    2 x Hooting Mandrils

1 x Sylvan Library

4 x Ponder
    1 x Life from the Loam

4 x Brainstorm
    4 x Daze
    4 x Force of Will
    4 x Stifle
    2 x Spell Pierce
    1 x Spell Snare
    1 x Counterspell
    4 x Lightning Bolt
    1 x Forked Bolt
    1 x Dismember

4 x Misty Rainforest
    4 x Flooded Strand
    3 x Tropical Island
    3 x Volcanic Island
    4 x Wasteland

I've played against BR Reanimator, BG Depths and Maverick.

The deck performs really well agains all this 3 decks. We don't play with sideboards, by the way. I only lose one game for BG depths, and 1 match for the Maverick.

Ok, so here we go...

- I really love the Mandrils! They did a GREAT job! Every time a needed a creature, I wish it was a Mandrils. 4/4 trample for 1 green, mana? I'll take it!
    - The match that I lost for the Maverick, was for couldn't search some finishers at the deck. I felt that only have 10 creatures in the deck was a little poor. I'll go try 2 more TNN (even think the 3cmc is a little heavy for the deck style).
    - I'll cut the Counterspell for another Spell Snare. Every time a had a CS in hands, I wish it was a Spell Snare. Holding the 2 mana open for a CS delayed me a little. Maybe a I should try a little more and buy the idea... But... I'll made this the change for a while.
    - The only time I see Life from the Loam, he didn't help me as I wanted. Was against Maverick, in the match that I lost. Maybe against Mav., Loam doesn't shine as I wish.
    - Sylvan Library is a must. I've always think that if you're in green, you have to play Library.
    - I really would like to put in another Spell Pierce. Since we try to punish their mana base, I think Pierce can do a greta job. Don't you think?

Ok, that is it!

Greetings from Brazil and sorry for the bad english :)

Thank you for your sharing, everything counts :-)

I have only few comments:
    - 10 creatures + 2 in sideboard is fine and the only question is what creature you wish to play in a certain situation. I think, that if you would play with sideboards, you would have been in a better position, because you could optimize your creature selection. The point in this deck is to pick a creature which opponent has a problem to deal with. That means, it stays longer and you do not need the other ones. But it needs testing, skill and sideboarding.

- Counterspell is one of the most interesting adds in last months to this deck. I agree that sometimes it sucks, but you have Brainstorm to send it away. In other matchups, it is all-star (Miracles etc.). It deck would not hold 2 copies, but one is fine and you should give it a chance :-)

- It is very necessary to see your sideboard to comment the deck as a whole. Sylvan Library is one of the best green cards ever printed, but it is a question, whether to put it in the maindeck. The same with the Loam - do you have Barbarian Ring in the SB? All these notes are dependent on your sideboard.¨

Bye to the Southern America :-)

Apr 2017
    Brazil, Santa Catarina

Quote Originally Posted by fapsik View Post
    Thank you for your sharing, everything counts :-)

I have only few comments:
    - 10 creatures + 2 in sideboard is fine and the only question is what creature you wish to play in a certain situation. I think, that if you would play with sideboards, you would have been in a better position, because you could optimize your creature selection. The point in this deck is to pick a creature which opponent has a problem to deal with. That means, it stays longer and you do not need the other ones. But it needs testing, skill and sideboarding.

- Counterspell is one of the most interesting adds in last months to this deck. I agree that sometimes it sucks, but you have Brainstorm to send it away. In other matchups, it is all-star (Miracles etc.). It deck would not hold 2 copies, but one is fine and you should give it a chance :-)

- It is very necessary to see your sideboard to comment the deck as a whole. Sylvan Library is one of the best green cards ever printed, but it is a question, whether to put it in the maindeck. The same with the Loam - do you have Barbarian Ring in the SB? All these notes are dependent on your sideboard.¨

Bye to the Southern America :-)
    Thanks for your reply :)

My sideboard plan is:

3 x Pyroblast
    2 x TNN
    2 X Surgical Extraction
    1 x Null Rod
    1 x Pithing Needle
    1 x Flusterstorm
    1 x Winter Orb
    1 x Sulfur Elemental
    1 x Ancient Grudge
    1 x Forked bolt
    1 x Barbarian Ring

I agree with the point that if I played with SB, and put in the 2 TNN, maybe I'll don't miss some finishers in the matchup. My fault.

About the Counterspell, I'll give another try. I agree that in the Miracles mtachup, this could be a good one.

Yeap. I have a Barbarian Ring in the SB. But if I cut the Loam from the MD, I'll cut de Barbarian Ring from the SB too.

And about the Library? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Nola; 04-07-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Thanks for your reply :)

My sideboard plan is:

3 x Pyroblast
    2 x TNN
    2 X Surgical Extraction
    1 x Null Rod
    1 x Pithing Needle
    1 x Flusterstorm
    1 x Winter Orb
    1 x Sulfur Elemental
    1 x Ancient Grudge
    1 x Forked bolt
    1 x Barbarian Ring

I agree with the point that if I played with SB, and put in the 2 TNN, maybe I'll don't miss some finishers in the matchup. My fault.

About the Counterspell, I'll give another try. I agree that in the Miracles mtachup, this could be a good one.

Yeap. I have a Barbarian Ring in the SB. But if I cut the Loam from the MD, I'll cut de Barbarian Ring from the SB too.

And about the Library? Any thoughts?

I undestrand your local metagame choices, but generally I would see these changes in your mind:

- cut the MD Library and add one more Spell Snare
    - cut the second Extraction in SB (one is usually enough together with the counterspells) and Pithing Needle to add the Library and I would add another Winter Orb, which one of the best SB cards

But all these details depends on your style and preferences, and on the local metagame of course :-)

Apr 2017
    Halifax, NS

Hey friends,

Death & Taxes/Punishing Jund player checking in here. After acquiring Force of Wills I'm looking at building a blue deck of some kind, and the tempo thresh playstyle really appeals to me. Is there a reason to play RUG Delver over the Stifle BUG builds in the current meta? For reference, my local meta consists of Miracles, Lands, BUG Delver, True-Name/Leovold BUG, BR Reanimator, ANT, and a smattering of a ton of other decks. Also, is there a more recent or more accurate primer that I should look at over the one at the top of the first page? I've just got a ton of questions and I feel like a recent primer would be the best place to get them answered.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by kennyxviii View Post
    Hey friends,

Death & Taxes/Punishing Jund player checking in here. After acquiring Force of Wills I'm looking at building a blue deck of some kind, and the tempo thresh playstyle really appeals to me. Is there a reason to play RUG Delver over the Stifle BUG builds in the current meta? For reference, my local meta consists of Miracles, Lands, BUG Delver, True-Name/Leovold BUG, BR Reanimator, ANT, and a smattering of a ton of other decks. Also, is there a more recent or more accurate primer that I should look at over the one at the top of the first page? I've just got a ton of questions and I feel like a recent primer would be the best place to get them answered.

Cheers!
    Hi,

first - if you want to get to the idea of current Canadian Threshold, look here: https://theweeklywars.wordpress.com/...eshold-primer/ -- the author also writes about other shifts in this deck. Even about Dark Thresh: https://theweeklywars.wordpress.com/...lk-into-a-bar/

I have been playing both RUG and BUG Threshold decks and I have comments for you:

- BUG colors bring you Deathrite Shaman, Fatal Push, Painful Truths and Abrupt Decay, which are the most imporant adds. These three colors tends to be more controlish and midrangy and you must count with it. It is the way they are.

- RUG colors gives you Lightning Bolt and Pyroblasts/REB. The Bolt is sometimes taken as replaced by Fatal Push, but the possibility of shooting to player is unreplaceable in this kind of tempo deck. Also the Blasts gives you great answers to Jace and to other blue cards, including their Force of Will, True-Name Nemesis and so on.

- But the main point is: you should choose whatever you wish to play and try it. Each version is bind with a style and strategy. It cannot be decided by theory, but by practice.

have fun!
    f.

Any tips to the DnT matchup? Here is the list I am currently running.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 11 Creature
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    2 Hooting Mandrills
    1 True-Name Nemesis

// 25 Instant
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Dismember

// 6 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    2 Forked Bolt

// 18 Land
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta

SB: 2 Winter Orb
    SB: 1 True-Name Nemesis
    SB: 1 Grim Lavamancer
    SB: 1 Sulfuric Vortex
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 Pyroblast
    SB: 1 Submerge
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Destructive Revelry

Apr 2017
    Halifax, NS

I currently own 73 of the 75 I would like to play. I'm just missing 1 Volcanic Island and 1 Tropical Island from the manabase. What do you folks recommend in their place? Is it better to run basic Islands (Wasteland-proof, fine to Daze with) or shocklands for more access to red and green?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyxviii View Post
    I currently own 73 of the 75 I would like to play. I'm just missing 1 Volcanic Island and 1 Tropical Island from the manabase. What do you folks recommend in their place? Is it better to run basic Islands (Wasteland-proof, fine to Daze with) or shocklands for more access to red and green?
    Shocklands; any game in which you draw basic island you need 2 more lands in play to get red and green mana and this downside generally outweighs the moon-proof / waste-proof upside.

Apr 2016
    Nor Cal

How do you guys think the Top ban will affect us?

I was running multiple winter orbs and spell snares before; thinking about switching most of those for DRS hate and maybe more combo hate.

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye_Mongoose View Post
    How do you guys think the Top ban will affect us?

I was running multiple winter orbs and spell snares before; thinking about switching most of those for DRS hate and maybe more combo hate.

Outside of one of the more interesting matchups having left the field, it's going to be hard to predict how decks will evolve to fill vacuum that is terminus.
    I'd expect a rise in combo and aggro decks, so things like cursed totem and rough/tumble in the board probably buys you more value.

The strength of nimble mongoose is directly proportional to StP - it's probably safe to trim 1-2 of the guys to try out new things.
    SCM and clique are debatable, but probably useful in the right rooms. Burn #7-8, or a bounce spell can be great as well.

I think the meta will end up settling with an attrition deck (bug/food chain), combo deck (storm/gy), and a aggro deck (elves/goblins). SB accordingly.
    Only posts when drunk.

I think for the short term, Strix and DRS will run rampant, so i dont think this will make RUG great again... Maybe years down the road there will be a DRS ban, then we can all party in the street.

An uptick in combo (which i dont know why this will happen, but a lot of people seem to think it will), is great for RUG.

Already, the best way to combat Miracles was Chalice and Combo, so i'm not sure why people think both those type of deck will suddenly go nuts...

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Seems like there may be an uptick in small creature decks that were weak to Miracles (e.g. Elves, Maverick, Stoneforge variants, possibly even stuff such as Zoo, Goblins, Merfolk, etc.). Wouldn't Grim Lavamancer be worth considering again? Obviously he's a non-bo with Nimble Mongoose, but you can make adjustments to mitigate the issue (e.g. Thought Scour). Alternatively, Forked Bolt is really good in a metagame full of small creatures.

Years ago, I was a big fan of playing RUG with 3 Chain Lightning and 3-4 Spell Snare in the flex slots. Having lots of Burn helped close out games that your creatures couldn't manage, and Spell Snare was fantastic at answering the majority of problem cards in the format. It may be worth going back to that if UWx Control adopts Stoneforge Mystic.

Of course, Spell Snare is weak against Sneak and Show (which will continue to be the format's premiere combo deck), but RUG is fairly well situated against that deck thanks to its sideboard Flusterstorms and Pyroblasts.

Deathrite Shaman still presents a problem for RUG, but it's not nearly as big of a problem as Miracles.format was. RUG simply needs to run more removal. Grixis *might* be the superior tempo deck, but Mongoose especially is good against a format that's leaning on Swords to Plowshares. I guess we'll just have to see how the format shakes up. Good riddance to Top, Terminus, Counterbalance, and Entreat the Angels!

I feel like this gives the Loam/Barbarian Ring package a nice boost. Ive been maining 2 loam 1 ring with 1 ring in the side and i feel better about it now. Gonna stock up on forked bolts now for sure too. Not sure if cutting Spell Snare is correct but i want at least 2 maybe even 3 forked bolt in the 75.

Any thoughts on dropping Mongoose entirely and going toward a build closer to Gianluca Gazzola's top 8 list from Prague last year?
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/430198#online

Don't get me wrong, I love Goose. It WAS the reason to play the deck - but is it still? It was our trump card against Miracles, and yes, with Terminus gone, it's even harder to kill now than before. But is it worth it if we're just going to sit down across from DRS piles for the foreseeable future?

What if we sideline Goose entirely and put in some combination of resilient late game threats (which was always the goal with Goose anyway) and maindeck Grim Lavamancers (which no longer needs to fight for graveyard fuel AND is superb at killing DRS and other small creatures).

Lastly - because we no longer run Mongoose, can we maybe justify putting a Jitte in the sideboard? A 4 mana sorcery speed investment that gets blanked by removal isn't great, but we all know how well a Jitte can run away with a game, especially if we say, strap it to a TNN. Just a thought.

Here's a rough draft of a decklist:

4 Delver
    4 Goyf
    2 Grim
    2 TNN/Mandrills

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Bolt
    2 Flex removal
    4 Daze
    4 Force
    4 Stifle
    2 Pierce
    2 Snare

18 lands

Meta-dependent sideboard, but worth testing Jitte here I think.

Thread Information