Page 44 of 147 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Apr 2009
    NEPA

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

So I want to bring up the argument no one seems to talk about is the sideboard with three cards in particular: Ancient Grudge, Destructive Revelry, and Krosan Grip. I personally play Krosan Grip for the split second ability, since I fear counterbalance locking me out of the game.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyKapree View Post
    So I want to bring up the argument no one seems to talk about is the sideboard with three cards in particular: Ancient Grudge, Destructive Revelry, and Krosan Grip. I personally play Krosan Grip for the split second ability, since I fear counterbalance locking me out of the game.
    Depends on how many of KGrips you play. If it¨s only one, chances are you'll be locked before you'll find one.
    I play three Pyroblasts, as TNN, TC, CB and JTMS are pretty annoying cards I don't wanna lose to. REBs also stops Stifle, any of Storm's cantrips, they kill Delver. I play two Needles to stop SDT, so I'm not that afraid of CB to pack KGrip which is very hard to find and play.
    That's why I play Ancient Grudge (because of CA) and Artifact Mutation (as it makes enough saprolings of each BSkull to kill in few swings). I'd play Destructive Revelry if I had another free sb slot, but right now I must prevail with the two mentioned.
    I' play KGrip only if the meta would be full of Miracles. It's too expensive.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Play Grip against OmniTell, as well. I run 2 in the board since I used to run a 1/1 Grudge/Grip split. OmniTell can sometimes just get you if you don't have the Grip.

-Matt

Mar 2010
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by mextremartini View Post
    I've been running a list with 04 H. Mandrils instead of mongoose, and playing 3 tarfire and 3 stuborn denial in cocktrice, and the deck hasnt lost a game yet. So far so good.
    care to share the list? what are your matchups? i will try it this weekend..
    and the sideboards too, thanks!
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by poxy14 View Post
    care to share the list? what are your matchups? i will try it this weekend..
    and the sideboards too, thanks!
    He said it was this:

54 core
    -4 Mongoose
    +4 Mandrills
    +3 Stubborn Denial
    +3 Tar Fire

You're really going big on Goyf. I haven't been able to test Stubborn Denial yet... any thoughts?

Apr 2009
    NEPA

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    He said it was this:

54 core
    -4 Mongoose
    +4 Mandrills
    +3 Stubborn Denial
    +3 Tar Fire

You're really going big on Goyf. I haven't been able to test Stubborn Denial yet... any thoughts?
    Stubborn denial is too much of a situation card, so its not worth playing to me, now one might argue that spellsnare is but if you look at just about every deck in legacy has a two drop.

If presumably both players are playing treasure cruise then obviously cards like nimble mongoose get bad but tarmogoyf also seems to get weaker because of the added reliance on the graveyard and if both players are delving it might get pretty small. I feel like scavenging ooze could be great at dealing with treasure cruise. Having a play set of scavenging ooze is an issue but how would you guys feel about a 2/2 split with it and quiron dryad? I'm not sure how great it would be but it seems reasonable, though I'm not very experienced with RUG delver period or tarmogoyf in a meta defined by treasure cruise so goyf could still be fine as is but it seems like graveyards empty very quickly now-a-days and the ability to delve out cards like planeswalkers or artifacts seems very potent at shrinking the old standby.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungster View Post
    If presumably both players are playing treasure cruise then obviously cards like nimble mongoose get bad but tarmogoyf also seems to get weaker because of the added reliance on the graveyard and if both players are delving it might get pretty small. I feel like scavenging ooze could be great at dealing with treasure cruise. Having a play set of scavenging ooze is an issue but how would you guys feel about a 2/2 split with it and quiron dryad? I'm not sure how great it would be but it seems reasonable, though I'm not very experienced with RUG delver period or tarmogoyf in a meta defined by treasure cruise so goyf could still be fine as is but it seems like graveyards empty very quickly now-a-days and the ability to delve out cards like planeswalkers or artifacts seems very potent at shrinking the old standby.
    I would run maybe 3 goyf and 1 ooze, def wouldn't run Quirion dryad since it can be in bolt range as soon as it hits the field. I am a firm believer that 4 delver, 4 goyf, 4 mongoose is still the correct build to play the deck. Goose is just too good over card advantage, our game plan is still to timewalk them with stifle and wasteland, while landing a delver or goose and beat them down. Cruise takes away from the gameplan and shrinks our goyfs and kills mongoose. The value you get from Mongoose is insane, not being able to be targeted is a pain for players. It laughs in the face of abrupt decay as our bolts kill DRS. I put the deck down for a break due to being burnt on playing it and picked up TES to play, but this deck is still my fav and always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyKapree View Post
    I would run maybe 3 goyf and 1 ooze, def wouldn't run Quirion dryad since it can be in bolt range as soon as it hits the field. I am a firm believer that 4 delver, 4 goyf, 4 mongoose is still the correct build to play the deck. Goose is just too good over card advantage, our game plan is still to timewalk them with stifle and wasteland, while landing a delver or goose and beat them down. Cruise takes away from the gameplan and shrinks our goyfs and kills mongoose. The value you get from Mongoose is insane, not being able to be targeted is a pain for players. It laughs in the face of abrupt decay as our bolts kill DRS. I put the deck down for a break due to being burnt on playing it and picked up TES to play, but this deck is still my fav and always will be.
    I have been running traditional Canadian during the last 2 weeks with a list like Henrik Johansson´s and it works incredibly. Miracles, UR Treasure-Delver, BUG Treasure-Delver, Show and Tell, UWR Delver... Our nice deck is still so powerfull. I´m very happy with that.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

Quote Originally Posted by SORO View Post
    I have been running traditional Canadian during the last 2 weeks with a list like Henrik Johansson´s and it works incredibly. Miracles, UR Treasure-Delver, BUG Treasure-Delver, Show and Tell, UWR Delver... Our nice deck is still so powerfull. I´m very happy with that.
    I would cut the chain lightnings for forked bolts, git probes or spellsnares. I personally run now 1 forked bolt, 2 git probes, and 3 spell pierce. I may go back to 2 spellsnare, 2 spell pierce, and 2 forked bolt, not entirely sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SORO View Post
    Were the chain lightnings problematic for you against R-Decks like UR(W) Delver?

I love to play them, but don't know if it's better now to switch them to forked bolts again with UR Delver everywhere.
    So I'm also pondering with the oldschool config 2 pierce, 2 snare/probe, 2 forked bolt like Shifty does.

I won't touch the TC or HM train so far. I love the little mongeese too much.

artifact/enchantment hate topic:
    always captured between 1 grudge / 1 krosan (yeah, because of you, miracles!) and 2 destructive revelry...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tournaments, so if you stand an MWS experience...
    I'm satisfied with Mongoose. Yes, it's tiny, and in lategame it's outclassed by nearly everything. Otoh, our deck is sooo much bad in lategame that it doesn't even matter how we lose. We simply must keep the game in early stage and as long as their StP/Decay don't matter, I'm fine with 3-power beats. I won dozen of games simply due to shroud, where every other creature would either die or at least needed to be protected. Mongoose is our TNN in that it doesn't need an protection while we simply counter every their attempt to get of manascrew, move furtheri plan, or find/set up an anti-shroud answer like EE, Terminus, Liliana or w/e. Yes, Mongoose is not a real TNN, but then again it costs one third of TNN's mana.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tournaments, so if you stand an MWS experience...
    I'm satisfied with Mongoose.
    I was 4-0 before dropping some close games to UWR delver and Death + Taxes today at Legacy champs. Beat 2x UR delver, death + taxes, Merfolk. Nimble mongoose was crucial in 6 of my game wins and was the only reason I was allowed to have outs in a 7th. He's so amazing that I'd rather have goose than cruise and I'll probably stick with the same list I posted a page or so back come GP NJ.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Mar 2010
    Philippines

a friend of mine top32ed a 400+ event...he was on the stocklist..ill wait for his report here....this just shows mongoose is still a force to reckon with!

TEMUR ALL THE WAY!
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:

Feb 2014
    Germany

hey guys,

how would you form your sb in a elves, dnt heavy meta ?

something like this ? (MD is stock, 2 snare, 2pierce, 2 forked bolt)

2 Rough
    2 sulfur elemental
    2 grafdiggers cage
    3 pyroblast
    2 submerge
    1 ancient grudge
    2 flusterstorm
    1 sylvan library/sulfuric vortex

Mar 2010
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by index View Post
    hey guys,

how would you form your sb in a elves, dnt heavy meta ?

something like this ? (MD is stock, 2 snare, 2pierce, 2 forked bolt)

2 Rough
    2 sulfur elemental
    2 grafdiggers cage
    3 pyroblast
    2 submerge
    1 ancient grudge
    2 flusterstorm
    1 sylvan library/sulfuric vortex
    instead of vortex or sylvan...i would add in another artifact hate...mutation..revelry..grip or a second grudge..the main is perfectly tweakd for a heavy green and white meta..ur sb provides lots of help too..i guess that's ok.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:

2 Gitaxian Probe+ 1 Forked Bolt or 2 Chain Lightning+ something else (Fire/Ice, Thought Scour, Spell Snare)???? What is the best option in your opinion?

Finale Legacy CDF Toulouse, 05/10/2014, Ronde 4, UR DELVER vs RUG DELVER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17CL...a2EvKHcS8sg0oQ
    Last edited by SORO; 10-27-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I'm satisfied with Mongoose. Yes, it's tiny, and in lategame it's outclassed by nearly everything. Otoh, our deck is sooo much bad in lategame that it doesn't even matter how we lose. We simply must keep the game in early stage and as long as their StP/Decay don't matter, I'm fine with 3-power beats. I won dozen of games simply due to shroud, where every other creature would either die or at least needed to be protected. Mongoose is our TNN in that it doesn't need an protection while we simply counter every their attempt to get of manascrew, move furtheri plan, or find/set up an anti-shroud answer like EE, Terminus, Liliana or w/e. Yes, Mongoose is not a real TNN, but then again it costs one third of TNN's mana.
    Classic lists still good in Japan
    http://sanc.jp/bmo02/bom/04.html (feat. cool infect and ohh dat vengevine necro :)
    http://sanc.jp/bmo02/legacy/13.html (feat. Repeal Ant)

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Classic lists still good in Japan
    http://sanc.jp/bmo02/bom/04.html (feat. cool infect and ohh dat vengevine necro :)
    http://sanc.jp/bmo02/legacy/13.html (feat. Repeal Ant)
    Funny to see the Dead/Gone. Do you remeber when I mistakenly packed it into my sb instead of Rough/Tumble and it won me the game against Reanimate->Iona? That was hillarious...
    It might be worthy a maindeck slot. I thought about Assault/Battery as a way to either have a crappy answer to DRs or stupid elephant when there's nothing else to do, but Dead/Gone is so much better. It kills DRS/MoR/SFM or removes Goyf/Stalker/KotR. I'll try it.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

I just playtested a few games with the new Rug delver list with young pyromancer and I have to say it is a lot better than the mongoose build. I hate to admit this bc I love mongoose and hope to see it return again to shine. Pyromancer shines against decks like esper and bug, makes the match-ups easier and allows us to be more controlling now which keeps people in the early game longer now. For the time being my mongooses are in my rug/tes binder sitting there till I decide to go back to that style of rug.

Thread Information