Page 5 of 147 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    With Wasteland, Port (and I already saw Ghost Quarter!) all over the metagame, I'm starting to consider Teferi'S Response as my 15th sb slot. It's a narrow card and it definitely doesn't warrant more than one solt (if only), and maybe LftL would be far better. But I like the hypothetical blow out it may do, as in certain situations this is (conditional) two mana Ancestral Recall - you draw only two cards, but the third one is the one that the opponent has lost.
    While Stifle is good for saving our fragile manabase, I still think that against DnT-like decks even a set of Stifles might be not enough, esp. in the early game when we struggle to do anything against the imminent threat of being Wasted out of game. In the midgame it's a bit better (and in the late game it's worse again, as many more mana-denial tools get online, yet it's not the time when it matters anymore...), but my main concern are those opening turns when one Waste or Port may kick us out of game. Countering that activation and even gaining a CA out of it seems like a powerful option.
    Frankly, for this to work, all the Divert-related troubles pop up: you need to play enough copies to have them at ready, and then you're simply better with a singleton Loam and a bit of luck with your cantrips to find.

Maybe I just want to see their faces when I'll respond (pun intended) to their Port activation, and in fact it looks like a bad idea. Otoh, it still continues to vex my mind. After all, there's not much we need to do in DnT matchup: we must protect our lands and then resolve the removal. But yeah, Needle and Loam might be the best.
    That's only good on the play though right? I mean if D&T is running at full steam on the play they will have port out turn 2 meaning we can't use it until turn 3 which just seems really slow. I guess if there's a lot of players in your meta with $600 to throw at tabernacle and $200 for ports then it might be worth it :D. In addition both of those are extremely bad match ups that I would rather just not worry about using narrow sideboard cards to deal with. Note I'm not being hypocritical here sulfur elemental while narrow is a huge impact spell that wins us the game against them thus warrants a spot in the sb.

RUG Doctor
    Dec 2012
    Birmingham, AL

With Wasteland, Port (and I already saw Ghost Quarter!) all over the metagame, I'm starting to consider Teferi'S Response as my 15th sb slot. It's a narrow card and it definitely doesn't warrant more than one solt (if only), and maybe LftL would be far better. But I like the hypothetical blow out it may do, as in certain situations this is (conditional) two mana Ancestral Recall - you draw only two cards, but the third one is the one that the opponent has lost.
    While Stifle is good for saving our fragile manabase, I still think that against DnT-like decks even a set of Stifles might be not enough, esp. in the early game when we struggle to do anything against the imminent threat of being Wasted out of game. In the midgame it's a bit better (and in the late game it's worse again, as many more mana-denial tools get online, yet it's not the time when it matters anymore...), but my main concern are those opening turns when one Waste or Port may kick us out of game. Countering that activation and even gaining a CA out of it seems like a powerful option.
    Frankly, for this to work, all the Divert-related troubles pop up: you need to play enough copies to have them at ready, and then you're simply better with a singleton Loam and a bit of luck with your cantrips to find.

Maybe I just want to see their faces when I'll respond (pun intended) to their Port activation, and in fact it looks like a bad idea. Otoh, it still continues to vex my mind. After all, there's not much we need to do in DnT matchup: we must protect our lands and then resolve the removal. But yeah, Needle and Loam might be the best.
    Don't get me wrong; Teferi's Response is the most hilarious solution. But yeah, Loam is just better.
    Pizza, beer, and Canadian Thresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It also paves the way for one of my favorite tautologous Magic cards -- Cavalry Master! "Other creatures you control with flanking have flanking." OF COURSE THEY DO

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on The Source; I have perused the forums for a couple years but now I am actively playing more legacy and wanted to start getting online feedback. I attempted to pilot RUG delver with some success prior to the RTR block being printed. I played Sneak and Show and Jund for the last year or so and am now back to playing RUG (I have the most fun playing this deck). Lately I have been watching a couple videos of SCG legacy events and MTGO events and realized how vast the skill range is between novice RUG pilots and those players who can navigate matchups and eek out victories by always taking the right line of play against their opponents. Last Wednesday I played at a local tournament event with 30+ players and split first place. Below is my current decklist, a brief tournament report, and a few questions about SB and MU for some more seasoned RUG players.

MD

Creatures

-4 geese
    -4 goyf
    -4 delver

Instants/Sorceries

-4 brainstorm
    -4 ponder
    -4 Force
    -4 Daze
    -4 stifle
    -4 bolt

-2 spell pierce
    -2 spell snare
    -2 forked bolt

Land

-4 wasteland
    -4 Scalding tarns
    -4 Misty rainforest
    -1 wooded foothills
    -2 Tropical Island
    -2 volcanic Island
    -1 Taiga

(I don't have 3 volcanic islands -I only own 2- so instead of running the 3/3 split with trops and volcs, I decided to do the 2/2 split with an extra fetchland and a taiga so I still have access to 3 sources of red and green mana)

SB

-3 REB
    -3 Rough/Tumble
    -2 Graft digger's cage
    -2 ancient Grudge
    -1 flusterstorm
    -1 pithing needle
    -2 diverts
    -1 Engineered explosives

(I play in a meta filled with mostly fair decks and the occasional combo deck namely elves and Reanimator, which seems to be popular again.)

Reasoning behind my sideboard: I think a third Rough/Tumble helps against matchups I most hate playing against: D&T and elves. The only other 3 cards which I believe need an explanation are the 2 diverts and the 1 engineered explosives. I really like divert against BUG variants and Deathblade decks because I feel that the card is a live card up until turns 4-5 of the game because of our mana denial plan. With an increase in Deathblade and Bug I feel divert is an effective 2 for 1 against decays, STPs, disfigures, hymns etc.. I am debating running misdirection but have not yet tested it. I am including one EE because of TNN. I feel that if TNN resolves we are stonewalled and want another out other than countering the TNN with REBS, dazes or Forces. The EE might be too mana intensive and I haven't used it effectively yet but I am still play-testing it: It could be useful in the late game when we have access to 3-5 mana.

Now for my tournament report

RD 1: ANT

Game 1: This game came down to one critical moment- I had a loose goose, 2 lands in play (1 tapped 1 untapped), 4 cards in hand, and my opponent was on 10 life. My opponent has three lands in play and a grip of seven cards- He starts off with a duress I have (Force, Daze, stifle and Bolt in hand)- I decide to do nothing since I don't see a profitable play. He goes ahead and takes the force and then follows it up with another duress. Damn. Well he hasn't made a land drop so hopefully the daze will be active- I daze the duress he pays for the daze and then proceeds to take the stifle. He then makes his land drop plays a dark ritual, a cabal ritual then hardcasts adnauseum. He first hits a past in flames then a cabal ritual, the untapped volcanic island in play and the lightning bolt in my hand say we are going to game 2.

In -1 pithing needle, 1 flusterstorm
    out- 2 forked bolts

Game 2: A turn one delver and turn two goose apply enough pressure for him to pull the trigger early. I use my one-of flusterstorm backed by force and 2 spell pierces to seal the deal.

2-0

RD 2: Deathblade

Game 1 on the play: I stifle his first fetch land (polluted delta) and then on his second turn I stifle his second fetch land (flooded strand). He only draws a wasteland for the next 4 turns before dying to a loose goose and a goyf. At this point I don't really know what he is playing- he discards two stone forge mystics during his clean up steps- so I am assuming some Esper or deathblade variant.

In- 2 diverts 2 acient grudge
    out- 4 force of wills

Game 2: I mull to six: hand is (goose, goyf, tarn, misty, waste, bolt) In retrospect I am not sure if I should have kept this hand: I feel that learning what hands to mull in RUG is one of the toughest decisions for the deck. Turn one he thoughtseizes the goose, I joke and say just don’t well at least its not a hymn. Turn two he hymns me… he hits the goyf and a bolt leaving me with lands and another freshly drawn bolt. Turn three TNN.. turn four TNN... It ends quickly from here

In- 2 divert 2 ancient grudge 1 EE
    out- 4 forces and 1 spell snare

Game 3: This is an absolute grind fest which ends with him having 6 lands and a TNN in play, he also has a STP in hand. I am at 7 he is at 5. He STPs my flipped delver leaving me on empty board save a taiga, volcanic island, and a trop. My next two draws: lightning bolt and forked bolt- I Believe in the heart of the cards :)

4-1-0

RD 3: UWR delver

Game 1: I am on the play and my opponent mulls to 5. My starting hand is misty, goose, daze, daze, ponder, wasteland, forked bolt. I almost punt this game right off the bat. I get greedy think I can land a goose with daze back up and eek out some incremental advantage for the first two turns. I play the goose and pass- my opponent wastes my trop. I do not draw a colored land for the next 6 turns and start discarding my dazes and other counter magic. My opponent is equally unlucky and proceeds to draw land and removal spells for 6 straight turns. My goose eventually gets it done.

In: 3 REBS, 2 diverts (I was debating ancient grudge but wasn't sure what should go out for it)
    Out: 4 Force, 1 forked bolt

Game 2: This game I start the game with a commanding position by landing 2 thresholded geese and a goyf by turn 4 while successfully countering the two STPs pointed at my goyf. He lands a TNN with a Jitte on the board and this makes me realize how broken TNN is - as it single handedly made the math such that neither of us could profitably attack. I am lucky enough to draw a delver and have it flip next turn off a bolt which puts him at exactly dead from an alpha strike.

6-1-0

I really debated bringing in the EE in this game but couldn't find the space for it. I also felt my opponent was unlucky in his draws and am not quite sure if RUG is usually a dog in this matchup?

RD 4: Deathblade/ RUG mirror

My opponent, who is an excellent deathblade player, and I were the only two people left with the highest records so we decided to split 1st place. Afterwards I was kind of bummed because I just wanted to play and get experience piloting the deck. Someone else there was willing to play a friendly final match which was nice

(alternate matchup)

Game 1 (RUG mirror on the draw) I have to mull to 5 as my opening hands were both 1 landers with wasteland. My opponent has a turn one delver followed by two delvers turn two which proceed to flip turn three. I am able to bolt one insectile aberration but I quickly lose this race and go to game 2.

In - 3 REBs 2 diverts
    Out- 4 force 1 spell snare

Game 2 & 3- I win both games through very grindy games. We almost go until time - My opponent is playing a different build of RUG with grim lavamancer and TNN instead of goose. A couple timely REBs help me blow up TNN before it ever hits the board. Goose wins me game three as I feel it is often the best threat in RUG.

Some general thoughts
    I am still unsure as to what the optimal SB cards are for the Deathblade matchup?
    Would the inclusion of one TNN in the MD or SB be good for grindy matchups? I feel that against fair decks, we are the aggressor and thus winning the damage race and landing a TNN and attacking twice with it can help break stalled or losing board states against other fair decks
    Has anyone tested out misdirection as a SB option- I played one RUG player who did when I was playing JUND and it seemed alright

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Hello Emo, welcome you onboard!
    Many thanks for the report! Well written and interesting one. I see you sb Diverts very often, and as I worte about it just few posts above, here comes a question: how they served you? I like them in vacuum, the effect is very powerful and diverting Hymn/Decay may be backbreaking. Otoh, from what experiences I gathered with the card, it never really felt good enough.

Also, no Submerges? You can't be serious... :-)

Just today when I sorted my RUG cards, I thought about Engineered Explosives. I played EE in Thresh, but... it was long time ago in the old NQGw list that sported CB and no Wasteland. In a deck that operates on one land, this card is quite strange. Yet it's the only reasonable answer to resolved TNN, not to mention it may help in DnT and similar matchups. Idk. On one hand it seems clunky, on the other hand it seems powerful. I guess I'll stay away from it, but I'm really glad that you've showed us that an unconventional sb is possible and may help you towards a solid result.

Congrats and again: welcome!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Emo View Post
    RD 1: ANT

Game 1: This game came down to one critical moment- I had a loose goose, 2 lands in play (1 tapped 1 untapped), 4 cards in hand, and my opponent was on 10 life. My opponent has three lands in play and a grip of seven cards- He starts off with a duress I have (Force, Daze, stifle and Bolt in hand)- I decide to do nothing since I don't see a profitable play. He goes ahead and takes the force and then follows it up with another duress. Damn. Well he hasn't made a land drop so hopefully the daze will be active- I daze the duress he pays for the daze and then proceeds to take the stifle. He then makes his land drop plays a dark ritual, a cabal ritual then hardcasts adnauseum. He first hits a past in flames then a cabal ritual, the untapped volcanic island in play and the lightning bolt in my hand say we are going to game 2.

In -1 pithing needle, 1 flusterstorm
    out- 2 forked bolts
    What are you naming with Needle vs. ANT?
    "Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

Hello Emo, welcome you onboard!
    Many thanks for the report! Well written and interesting one. I see you sb Diverts very often, and as I worte about it just few posts above, here comes a question: how they served you? I like them in vacuum, the effect is very powerful and diverting Hymn/Decay may be backbreaking. Otoh, from what experiences I gathered with the card, it never really felt good enough.

Also, no Submerges? You can't be serious... :-)

Just today when I sorted my RUG cards, I thought about Engineered Explosives. I played EE in Thresh, but... it was long time ago in the old NQGw list that sported CB and no Wasteland. In a deck that operates on one land, this card is quite strange. Yet it's the only reasonable answer to resolved TNN, not to mention it may help in DnT and similar matchups. Idk. On one hand it seems clunky, on the other hand it seems powerful. I guess I'll stay away from it, but I'm really glad that you've showed us that an unconventional sb is possible and may help you towards a solid result.

Congrats and again: welcome!
    Thank you much for your response and I think you are right about EE, the more and more I play test with it, I find that as a one-of I never find it when I really need it, but I wouldn't want more than one either.

I just recently removed submerge from SB which may be a HUGE mistake but I wanted to try divert/misdirection instead because I figured it would give me an edge against BWR delver and Esperdeathblade MUs which I have been seeing a lot more of recently.

So far I have had mixed results with divert- When I do successful resolve a divert it is backbreaking and in some instances it just serves as an extra counterspell in a counterwar, but I would say it works for me a little less than half the time I side it in (but nothing feels better than diverting an abrupt decay to TNN:).

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    What are you naming with Needle vs. ANT?
    I will chalk this up to me not being too familiar with the matchup and probably should have boarded a REB in instead- but in a snap decision I chose needle hoping to hit polluted delta-

Esq.
    Sep 2010
    Toronto, Ontario

So far I have had mixed results with divert- When I do successful resolve a divert it is backbreaking and in some instances it just serves as an extra counterspell in a counterwar, but I would say it works for me a little less than half the time I side it in (but nothing feels better than diverting an abrupt decay to TNN:).
    So True!

Playing three (3) rough/ tumble is too much for a metagame plagued with so much combo and control right now. If you're having that much trouble with death and taxes try Sulfur Elemental. I opt to play Grafdigger's Cage over Crypt, Relic and Surgical Extraction because in addition to being good against reanimator and dredge, it is also good against elves.
    To be the man, you gotta beat the man!

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I will chalk this up to me not being too familiar with the matchup and probably should have boarded a REB in instead- but in a snap decision I chose needle hoping to hit polluted delta-
    Although I'm the one who won a game by turn1 Needle on Delta (the guy had two of them in hand and no other lands) it's still too risky and if you draw it later then turn1 or turn2, it's a dead draw. REB is your friend!
    I completely missed that Divert may act like a cheap counterspells in stack wars, so the applications are bit broader then I thought. I'm still not sure if I like it, and the zero Submerges scare me. You will meet at least some Fores.dec, be it elves, Mav or anything with Goyf. Also: Tombstalker is a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by markkugel View Post
    As said, Compost at first sight it is a great card against black, but it is really that strong to take 2 or 3 sideboard slot ? I dont know yet, but I'm working on it ;)

Wipe Away were initially put in place of Echoing Truth because of Split Second, but being a 3 cmc 1UU is a big drawback. This is why I moved to Chain of Vapor and Echoing Truth, both do a good job, sometime tricky when cast in answer to Liliana ability or other right timed play :) Returning all instance is exactly why I think Echoing Truth is the way to go : Miracles, Dredge and Batterskull get the hit. Chain of Vapor give a too big edge by allowing our opponent to sacrifice a land and use it back against us (because our opponent usually have way more land than us).
    Well, after some serious testing, Compost dosent do the job, it's slow and usually dont stay long enough to worth 2-3 slots. Echoing Truth was sometimes good, but not that strong. Because you dont want to use it against cheap creature and it becones a dead or poor answer.

Interesting tournament report. I tried Divert a while ago while UWR Delver was really popular, but with all their removal being 1 mana it never seemed very great most of the time being a blank. Now with more BUG builds being popular it might be worth it seeing as AD usually hits turn 2 or 3 and Divert is a hard counter here.

so a few days ago some people at my LGS we're deck brewing looking through cards and the such trying to create a meta breaker. Anyways more to the point one card they found was seedtime and needless to say this card feels kind of bonkers. It's more or less 1g timewalk if an opponent played a blue spell this turn. Everyone knows timewalk is stupid beyond belief so do you think this could be worth playing with in the sb? Just seems kind of silly:
    "play tarmogoyf"
    "opponent Force"
    "daze"
    "opponent ok"
    "seedtime take an extra turn bash with tarmogoyf"
    The fact that our spell doesn't even have to be countered just if our opponent plays a blue spell. It also makes EOT brainstorms to shuffle away bad cards really good for us. Just a thought I doubt it will turn into anything playable, but it seems silly enough to warrant a try. In a world where we can divert abrupt decays to their owner's TNN anything is possible right? The only downside is it's kind of a three mana spell. You essentially want to bait out a counterspell of sorts whether that be with added pressure or removal doesn't matter, though it still causes us to spend 1 - 2 mana on spell A then 2 mana for seedtime. What are your thoughts?

Mar 2010
    Philippines

Top 8'ed today's tourney..(4-1-1), 7th placed finished, losing quarterfinals and my lone loss to one guy vs esperdeathblade..tourney report to follow, after a few hours rest hehe...my other deck oops, went on to finish 5th after a perfect run on the swiss..we went home with a tnn and a horizon canopy..good day indeed..my only tweaks from the basic are maindeck 1tnn, 1snare, 1izzet charm...cu guys in a bit. im sure theyre going to post the results over at tcdecks very soon..GO RUG!
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Killer View Post
    so a few days ago some people at my LGS we're deck brewing looking through cards and the such trying to create a meta breaker. Anyways more to the point one card they found was seedtime and needless to say this card feels kind of bonkers. It's more or less 1g timewalk if an opponent played a blue spell this turn. Everyone knows timewalk is stupid beyond belief so do you think this could be worth playing with in the sb? Just seems kind of silly:
    "play tarmogoyf"
    "opponent Force"
    "daze"
    "opponent ok"
    "seedtime take an extra turn bash with tarmogoyf"
    The fact that our spell doesn't even have to be countered just if our opponent plays a blue spell. It also makes EOT brainstorms to shuffle away bad cards really good for us. Just a thought I doubt it will turn into anything playable, but it seems silly enough to warrant a try. In a world where we can divert abrupt decays to their owner's TNN anything is possible right? The only downside is it's kind of a three mana spell. You essentially want to bait out a counterspell of sorts whether that be with added pressure or removal doesn't matter, though it still causes us to spend 1 - 2 mana on spell A then 2 mana for seedtime. What are your thoughts?
    What would this replace out of your sideboard? i feel like this is a situational card, that if it goes off is dumb but may push necessary things out of the sideboard

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Hello people! Poxy, I'm happy to read about your finish, I look forward to the report!

On Seedtime: I thought about it few days ago when I looked through my binders. Basically it is a Time Walk, as the field is 75% blue. Sadly, it's conditional and it would mak our deck inconsistent. We need only three kinds of cards: threats, anwers and cantrips to find our threats and answers. Cool cards are.. exactly that, only cool, but not really necessary. I'm not even sure what I would cut for it. But yeah, if anybody finds room and shows us how to play Seedtime, I'd be the first one to use. I love the card!

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    What would this replace out of your sideboard? i feel like this is a situational card, that if it goes off is dumb but may push necessary things out of the sideboard
    Not sure yet I mean this is what a core rug sideboard looks like:
    3 pyroblast
    2 submerge (probably 3, but 2 is minimum)
    2 - 3 other combo hate
    2 board sweepers rough, sulfur elemental, lavamancer etc
    1 artifact hate
    1 graveyard hate
    After that the sideboards just very anything from extra burn with sulfuric or price to TNN. It would essentially take up one of these 4 sideboard spots.

On Seedtime: I thought about it few days ago when I looked through my binders. Basically it is a Time Walk, as the field is 75% blue. Sadly, it's conditional and it would mak our deck inconsistent. We need only three kinds of cards: threats, anwers and cantrips to find our threats and answers. Cool cards are.. exactly that, only cool, but not really necessary. I'm not even sure what I would cut for it. But yeah, if anybody finds room and shows us how to play Seedtime, I'd be the first one to use. I love the card!
    Right I understand it's kind of narrow, but doesn't it do everything we want? If it resolves it: cantrips, does a bolt to the head if we have a creature on the field, and allows us to advance our boardstate with extra mana. It seems like it has promise I might try testing it after the ptq I have coming up this Saturday.

Mar 2010
    Philippines

Thanks Beddecks!

7th with TeamBudget RUG,
    (PAENG CUP, __man tourney, dont know yet the exact count from yesterday's tourney, will update this..)

standard RUG with minor tweaks...
    3 mongoose
    1 TNN
    1 snare
    1 izzet charm
    2 pierce
    2 forked bolts

SB: scouting report from our teammates, meta was DnT (we have 2 already playing that archetype in the team), Snt's and reanimators..
    1 grudge, 1 D.revelry, 3 pyroblasts, 3 submerges, 1 needle, 1 sulfur elemental, 1 grafdiggers cage, 1 tormod's, 1 pierce, 2 roughs

dropped vendilion for sulfur, dropped 2nd needle coz i thought i already have another white hate via sulfur, dropped 2nd cage for crypt so my gyhate vs animator will not be one just one card (anti echoing)...

match1 (0-2 esper death blade) 0-1
    just wasnt able to keep em off manas, did everything by stifling fetches, but he just keeps on drawing lands, thus resolving a liliana, that slaughtered my geese, then batterskull at some point mid game..i should have had 8 stifles vs this deck!
    (out number of fows, dazes, in rough, artifact hate, needle)

match2 (2-0 DnT) 1-1
    im glad i benched tarfires this time and went back to 2 forked for max value...
    izzet was mvp here, at some point he attacked with mom carrying a jitte (stifled jitte trigger) then izzet mom...
    was able to Izzet pierce effect a RIP he was trying to resolve...
    (out number of fows, dazes, pierces 1 goyf , in rough, artifact hate, needle, sulfur)

match3 (2-0 Jund) 2-1
    how come i was paired with em FAIR decks! i was waiting for combos!
    game 1 i was able to land 2 fast delvers and that was it, he tried racing me with 2 goyfs, until i landed some geese to just block it, and me ravaging the skies..
    game 2 were he mulled to 5, cracked an early fetch for a forest, just to avoid stifle...he was able to get back on track quickly as my clock came in late...vs 2 goyfs, bob, bloodbraid into drs i was losing this battle...i have flipped delver, 1 goyf, 1 threshed geese...both no hands, until i draw rough that made it a 3 to 1 spell, he draws blank and decided to just block anything from my goose and goyf...clock is ticking with delver...nuts draw when i drew bolt, killing one of his blockers, then a submerge later on...
    (out number of fows, dazes, in rough, needle, submerges)

match4 (my wish is granted 2-0 MonoUomnitell) 3-1
    started with a delver, he landed island...no way im battling merfolks! then he started preordaining and knew exactly to drop em bolts via brainstorm fetch and search for answers...glad i did, 2nd game was the same i have multiple dazes, lone izzet charm, 2 fow with a delver..when he was about to go off, i countered show 3 times and that was it...
    (out number burn spells,1 goyf in pyroblasts, sulfur for 1 goyf, 1 destructive revelry for dreamhalls)

match5 (2-1 esper deathblade) 4-1
    again my delvers are very cooperative as i kept a 1 lander with 2 daze backup, started with delver, it flipped...drew wasteland and that was it, as i drew a pair of flyers that made it so quick...game 2 i lost via not having a volc/fetch were i needed to pyroblast baleful strix/snapcaster, my hand is awesome with 2 pyros and some burn, just wasnt able to interact with my lands...game 3 was like game 1! nice game indeed!
    (occasional switching of fows,pierce,dazes...in pyroblasts (for creeping tarpit too) artifact hate, needle

match6 (ID, upon seeing the results i was already in 5th seed, so POXY's in the TOP8!

TOP8 (0-2 esper deathblade)
    was paired with the same guy (RAL) who wrecked me game 1...
    results are just about the same! game 2 were i kept delver, forked waste, stifle...him landing drs = burned, i flipped a delver, wasted usea, stifled strand....that should be IT right!...just wasnt enuff as he drew lands and spells to get the game into midrange where they really strive... didnt bothered including in pyroblasts as i wasnt able to see any tnns during our past games, game 2 quarters he landed 2, daze the first one but i have no any other weapon for the second : (

beside me is my team8 PHILIP, who's seeded 1st, piloting my other deck ooops allspells...
    unfortunately he lost a very favorable battle vs burn, we were able to win good cards for our pool (tnn, canopy)
    my other teammate TOMMIE, was able to get into the prize pool in the top16 with RUG, (gitaxian built)

deck felt solid, as i was matched mostly to fair decks...that i dont want too..
    with the inclusion of a lone snare, izzet, 2 forked bolts...it gave me much confidence battling such..
    im planning to cut the 4th goyf...not much of a help since i always sideboarded out 1 vs decks running white, or just included sulfur for its instant ability rather that tapping out for a 2 drop vs any unfair..will test 1 vendilion cliq, or go back to my 4th goose or my second tnn (which i felt too slow, that's why i cut the 2nd from a previous tweak), i also missed the 2nd needle! i just wasnt able to find room for it.

Good Day after all, making this deck score another point over at tcdecks, will surely help......coz i know we are still a DTB!
    GO RUG!
    Last edited by poxy14; 04-07-2014 at 01:08 AM.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Apr 2009
    NEPA

1-4th Place: Eli Kassis
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Temporal Mastery
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    1 Island

Sideboard:
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Rough/Tumble
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Grafdigger’s Cage
    2 Submerge
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Izzet Staticaster

What are your guys take on this list, I threw it together this weekend for a bit from the standard rug version I had. I don't get much time to play test but I think I would want to cut the spell snare, and 3 spell pierces for 4 stifles. I always find use for stifle and rarely board it out I feel most people don't take full advantage of the card. I did like Young Pyromancer, what are peoples thoughts on it? I also noticed an increase in Rug top 8ing and could see it being a DTB again next time they circle the threads.

it's an interesting list. Overall I'm not a huge fan of young pyromancer right now because all of the -x/-1 effects for TNN overlap and hit the pyromancer package. Rug will be a DTB next time around it's won or at least 1st/2nd at 6/8 of the last SCG events right? Temporal mastery is cute, but too sketchy if you ask me. Snapcaster is ok as a one of, but he's kind of spendy at 3 mana when we're playing cards like daze and wasteland setting us back on land drops. It looks kind of reminiscent of the 4 color edric spymaster list that just won recently.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Nice to see people doing well with the deck. I plan to attend two tournaments over easter, and though right now it looks like I'll play Patriot (choosing between Patriot, Thresh and Team America), I might sleeve up Thresh for one of the two.

Also, I want to apologise for my tardiness when it comes to writing the sideboarding guide and matchup analyses, it's the parts where I'm least comfortable when it comes to the deck, since I find especially the latter to be quite arbitrary. Work has also been kicking my ass lately, and taken up way more time than usually. I'm hoping to have at least the bare basics done by next week.

Regarding the sideboard guide, I find that giving exact numbers is fallacious, since, speaking from my point of view at least, a lot of the sideboarding in the deck is done on gut feeling. For example, I've played against opponents who very conservatively play around Stifle or Daze, and so I'm more likely to sideboard those out for games 2 and 3, since it's likely that the cards themselves won't do anything, and my opponent will still play around them. In this case, I may keep Force in even when it's "wrong" to do so, since I'd rather have a card that does something than nothing, even if it's bad against many match-ups.

The sideboarding guide will therefore contain general guidelines, key cards, and what is popularly taken out/in, but no exact numbers. The aim is to let every pilot develop the skill and develop fingertoppskänsla (approx. "flair" or "sure instinct" according to my translator, both inadequate in my opinion) for the idea of sideboarding with Thresh. Similarly, the match-up analyses will contain brief tips for developing a plan against each DTB, but no exact numbers, i.e. no "45/55 in their favour".

How does that sound?
    Currently playing:

Canadian Threshold Primer!
    Team America

My blog about Legacy, limited, EDH and stuff!

Apr 2009
    NEPA

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    Regarding the sideboard guide, I find that giving exact numbers is fallacious, since, speaking from my point of view at least, a lot of the sideboarding in the deck is done on gut feeling. For example, I've played against opponents who very conservatively play around Stifle or Daze, and so I'm more likely to sideboard those out for games 2 and 3, since it's likely that the cards themselves won't do anything, and my opponent will still play around them. In this case, I may keep Force in even when it's "wrong" to do so, since I'd rather have a card that does something than nothing, even if it's bad against many match-ups.

The sideboarding guide will therefore contain general guidelines, key cards, and what is popularly taken out/in, but no exact numbers. The aim is to let every pilot develop the skill and develop fingertoppskänsla (approx. "flair" or "sure instinct" according to my translator, both inadequate in my opinion) for the idea of sideboarding with Thresh. Similarly, the match-up analyses will contain brief tips for developing a plan against each DTB, but no exact numbers, i.e. no "45/55 in their favour".

How does that sound?
    I've been playing Rug since delver was introduced to the format, I rarely board out daze and stifle. Even on the draw I don't board daze out, the card I board out the most in just about every match-up is FOW. The draw back of losing a blue card to it means games. I hate pitching cards to it. The sideboard I've been running the most of is 1 sulfur elemental, 1 V-Clique, 2 REB, 1 Pyroblast, 3 Submerge, 1 grafdiggers, 1 Spell Pierce, 1 Flusterstorm, 1 Kgrip, 1 Ancient Grudge and 2 rough/tumble. I consider flusterstorm a flex spot mostly. I do like life of the loam a lot in the deck, it's won me so many games. I plan on trying out a Divert or a Ghost quarter in the future. For boarding against BUG I board out FOW and bring in 3 Submerge and Spell Pierce. For Elves I board out usually Daze depending on the play or draw and board in Rough/Tumble, Graf and 1 Spell Pierce. For DnT I board out usually FOW and bring in Sulfur, 2 Rough/Tumble and 1 Grudge. For SnT I board out Lightningbolt and play the 3 blasts and 1 Pierce. I can't think of any match-ups really right now. I mean its kind of obvious to me on what to take out and what to board in for match-ups since I've been playing the deck for a long ass time.

Thread Information