Page 69 of 147 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2929

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Deck] Canadian Threshold (aka RUG Delver, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
    Can we fit the new R sorcery that requires us to discard a land to draw 2 cards? The card seems good enough since it enables threshold and is gas in the lategame.

For reference:
    http://www.cardkingdom.com/media/ima...d/201770_1.jpg

Cheers
    What would you replace from current lists for this card?

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    How is this deck right now?

Has everyone switched to the Young Pyro/Angler deck for the time being?
    I certainly haven't. Been playing RUG a lot with moderate-to-great success. I love mongoose and especially rough/tumble in the side. Obviously playing Young Pyro will not allow me to run rough/tumble and I'm also not to fond of playing with probes. I'd rather pack pierces and more reactive elements in my deck.
    Last edited by Sunday Funday; 07-02-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
    Can we fit the new R sorcery that requires us to discard a land to draw 2 cards? The card seems good enough since it enables threshold and is gas in the lategame.

For reference:
    http://www.cardkingdom.com/media/ima...d/201770_1.jpg

Cheers
    I've been thinking the same thing and it might be worthwhile testing it as a 1 or 2 of at most. It can grow goose which is plus. The only thing that has me hesitating is the impact the card could have against fair decks running wasteland ie other delver decks, maverick, d&T etc. Against mid range stoneblade, miracles, shardless bug and miracles it seems fine since the games go long.

What would you replace from current lists for this card?
    I wouldn't change the initial 54 stock at all. Everything after that spell pierce, snare, forked bolt etc is sub par from the stock list. That's not to say they're bad, but they're a far cry from daze, force, wasteland stifle etc. I think something along the lines of this might be worth testing:

54 stock 2 pierce 2 forked bolt 1 snare 1 magmatic insight

The card does a lot of things rug wants and some that it just hasn't been able to do (card advantage). Since we cap out at 2 mana we really only need 1 - 2 lands out of the 14 we have (18 if wasteland is a dud in a match up). If we only run 1 or 2 I think lands wouldn't be too much of a problem. Despite the advantages and disadvantages I'm not sure if there really is room I think 2 pierces are a must and 2 secondary removal are as well. I really like snare, but we only ever want 1 or 2 which is why it's the first to go imo. I'm not keeping my hopes up, but I think it's worth testing at the very least.

Dec 2013
    Pittsburgh

Top RUG decks in Lille used 4 of the flex spots for extra removal, 2 Forked Bolt and 2 Dismember, rather than just 2 of the slots.

By the way, at this point are 2 Spell Pierce even considered optional anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Top RUG decks in Lille used 4 of the flex spots for extra removal, 2 Forked Bolt and 2 Dismember, rather than just 2 of the slots.

By the way, at this point are 2 Spell Pierce even considered optional anymore?
    I dunno if 2 pierce are absolutely necessary. It's just the most versatile and arguably powerful counter we have after force and daze. Which is why most people play at least 2 of them. Snare is the next best counter which is close to pierce in terms of power level they just do different things. Pierce helps close out counter wars where as snare starts them (cb, snap, IT, goyf, stoneforge, YP, etc). I think if your meta is full of fair decks than snare is better since you hit a lot of the important cards rather than needing a force/daze to start a counter war with pierce as back up. It's just a preference I think. The only deck that I would say you really want pierce against is SnT every other deck snare hits most of their powerful stuff and they can't play around it as easily.

As for 4 flex spots devoted to removal that seems excessive. I'm an advocate of the 2 pierce, 2 snare, 2 forked split since it seems the most balanced. I haven't had a lot of practice against the gurmag angler heavy grixis builds lately so running dismember might be a necessity if that becomes more popular. Dismember is just so bad against any non fair deck ie miracles, combo or even like d&t. In those match ups it's either a dud or the 4 life might just be too high of a cost.

Mar 2010
    Philippines

i had success last weekend and 3-0'ed a mini going back to rug.. i think the most versatile list would have a 3pierce 7 removal built.. pierces helps our vs the rise of omnitell...and usual combos like reanimators..storms..etc.. while carrying a versatile removal buil of dismember, forked, fice alongside 4bolts helps us against opposing goyfs, anglers, yp's... i up'ed my submerges back to 3 and are key vs my final matchup vs bugdelver.
    Poxy14 ALTERED CARDS:
    https://www.facebook.com/earlgrant.deleon
    Commission Status: FULL!!! Commission Line to open: 2019

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Considering 2 MD red blast. Seems like a staple in most decks carrying volcanics. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    Considering 2 MD red blast. Seems like a staple in most decks carrying volcanics. Thoughts?
    I would advise against it. I feel like our deck is already good against decks that we can use REB against anyways.

Dec 2013
    Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    Our bUrg cousins sometimes play 1 in the MD. I don't see much of an advantage to running them over any of the other flex options we have though as our OmniTell matchup is already pretty decent. I guess it can hit Counterbalance but I think it would be hard to resolve if there's a Counterbalance in play already. It can kill opposing Delvers, Cliques, but so does Lightning Bolt, Forked Bolt and Dismember. I like Pyroblast a lot but I don't think I want it more than Spell Pierce or more versatile removal.

From what I've gathered our biggest difficulty right now is generating true card advantage that can keep up with Dig Through Time.

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    From what I've gathered our biggest difficulty right now is generating true card advantage that can keep up with Dig Through Time.
    Is this when we start to implement our own DTTs?

Maybe cutting Nimble Mongoose and Stifle (or some numbers Spell Pierce/Forked Bolt) for 4 Kird Ape and 3-4 DTT?

Then DTT gets banned a week later?

Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by carefulmug View Post
    Is this when we start to implement our own DTTs?

Maybe cutting Nimble Mongoose and Stifle (or some numbers Spell Pierce/Forked Bolt) for 4 Kird Ape and 3-4 DTT?

Then DTT gets banned a week later?

Can't wait.
    I wouldn't cut the two best cards of the deck ;) Mongoose and Stifle are basically reason to play this deck, and they enable wins that couldn't otherwise be possible.

I think the best way to counter Dig Through Time decks is to literally counter the spell if you can or just try to keep the opposing side of the table clean and swing with the trusty Goose :)

I also think that if someone would want to play Dig themselves, then maybe it would be better to just replace the Geese with Deathrites and play 4-color. But I'm still an advocate for Nimble Mongoose ^^

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter View Post
    I wouldn't cut the two best cards of the deck ;) Mongoose and Stifle are basically reason to play this deck, and they enable wins that couldn't otherwise be possible.

I think the best way to counter Dig Through Time decks is to literally counter the spell if you can or just try to keep the opposing side of the table clean and swing with the trusty Goose :)

I also think that if someone would want to play Dig themselves, then maybe it would be better to just replace the Geese with Deathrites and play 4-color. But I'm still an advocate for Nimble Mongoose ^^
    I hear you, bruh. Nonetheless...

http://tinyurl.com/qyb6ue9

...I'm referencing when Daryl Ayers and Ralph Betesh top 8'd w/ nearly identical RUG lists a week before TC was banned. RUG had been dismissed from the top tier because it couldn't contend with Treasure Cruise card advantage...until it implemented its own.

Fwiw, I'm messing w/ a list that simply moves 3 Spell Pierce to SB for 3 DTT main, thus retaining 4 Stifle.

I'm playing 4 red blast effects on my sb now. Works fine for me.

Cheers

Actually I am currently testing this list on MODO and it feels pretty strong:

4x Delver of Secrets
    3x Tarmogoyf
    2x Young Pyromancer (wanna try -1 YP and +1 Goyf)
    2x TNN

4x Daze
    3x Spell Pierce
    4x Force of Will
    1x Pyroblast

4x Lightning Bolt
    1x Dismember
    1x Forked Bolt

4x Ponder
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Dig Through the Time
    1x Sylvan Library

4x Wasteland
    1x Island (maybe swap for another Volcanic)
    3x Volcanic Island
    3x Tropical Island
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Místy Rainforest

SB:
    2x Submerge
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Ancient Grudge
    1x Forked Bolt
    1x Sulfur Elemental
    1x Sulfuric Vortex
    1x Pyroblast
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Grafdigger Cage
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Null Rod
    1x Krosan Grip

I still have these Delver blowouts + I can play longer grindier games thanks to powerful lategame bombs. I am still unsure if i wanna stifle in this build. I will probably try swap something for 3-4 Stifles and see how it goes.
    Its still just testing list so I am open for ideas.

Mar 2009

How sick would it be to Predict a Terminus in response to a Top draw? I might actually play 1 of that card right now.

How sick would it be to Predict a Terminus in response to a Top draw? I might actually play 1 of that card right now.
    if they have any mana left, they can just spin the top in response to your predict, leaving terminus as the third card. You end up predicting wrongly and they still draw the Terminus with top. Bad play.

Just got done at the monthly IWMC tournament nearby Denver. Played the following:

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Tarmogoyf

4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Dig Through Time

3 Forked Bolt
    4 Ponder

4 Delta//Strand
    3 Volcanic//Tropical
    4 Wasteland

Matches were TES 2-0, Elves 2-0, OmniTell 2-0, Grixis Delver 1-2 (0-2, maybe?..), and 12 post MUD 2-1. Split T8.

The Kird Ape was nice to play in situations in which I only had Volcanic Island in play, but it would have needed Tropical Island to have been any good, and the lack of shroud was more relevant than the non-graveyard dependent buff and led to a difficult Grixis Matchup. Probably nobody but I am surprised by this :) .

The Dig Through Times often sat in my hand, but were awesome when I got to play them. 3 isn't necessary, but 1 or 2 could be quite good. Perhaps in a list with 2-3 Gitaxian Probe.

Moving forward, I likely will revert to either my previous list (54 core, 3/3 Spell Pierce/Forked Bolt), a 2/2/2 Spell Pierce, Forked Bolt, DTT, or the 4/2 Spell Pierce, Dismember route.

Additionally, I will up my SB Pyroblast count from 3 to 4 to combat Omni, CB, and DTT, and will probably add a Dismember or two if they're not represented in the MB.

Mar 2009

Just went 2-0-1 in my weekly splitting for 1st with a storm player.

Round 1 beat reanimator 2-1. Once I got rid of bolts it was easier.

Round 2 beat mono R sneak attack 2-0

Round 3 split with storm, but we played it out for fun and I went 0-2. He just shredded my hand.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by awry View Post
    if they have any mana left, they can just spin the top in response to your predict, leaving terminus as the third card. You end up predicting wrongly and they still draw the Terminus with top. Bad play.
    It's not bad so much as conditional - if they're tapped out (aside from W to cast Terminus) it works, and if you're making them spin the Top it likely turns Spell Pierce on and might even turn on Daze too. I don't think it's good enough, but I also don't think people value just making Miracles players spin the Top and waste their mana highly enough.

Thread Information