Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most Epic Punts

Re: Your most Epic Punts

I cast an Anger of the Gods into a Curse Catcher at GP Richmond.... That was fun.

He had quite the presence on the board and the Curse Catcher had been out since T1 but had not done a single thing. I guess I got tunnel vision or just plain old forgot about it.

I'm good at the game.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Legacy GP Atlanta going into round 15 I was in 16th place and I'm paired up against a well known pro player.

He's playing Reanimator and I'm playing GW Maverick. He's got nothing going on except for an entombed Sphinx of the Steel Wind. I am beating him up with a Pridemage that's got some extra exalted triggers from Noble Hierarchs. He's down to single digits (Reanimate is not an option) and I've drawn a Green Sun's Zenith. I'm thinking that I can tutor up Gaddock Teeg to prevent Force of Will, I can get another Pridemage to cover Animate Dead and increase the clock to 2 turns.

I didn't get the right creature - Scavenging Ooze - and so the next turn he casts Exhume and I've shut off my future GSZs with Teeg. I die after he hits me 3 times blanking on all of my outs to redeem myself: Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, Sword of Light and Shadow, Maze of Ith.

Tunnel visioned too much on Animate Dead that I forgot that he could Exhume and get the creature into play that way.

So because a lot of my previous opponents had conceded their buddies into top 8 or better standings I plummeted from 16th to 34th place. I should have and could have won but choked. The punt cost me $400 or so and likely a top 10 at my first GP.

I hadn't played vintage since it was type 1, came back to the game and pick up a deck to play with a competitive friend. I end up with a time vault in play, a couple moxen and lands with a tinker in hand. I tinker a mox off and go searching for voltaic key, can't find the sucker in the deck and get a blightsteel instead only to have it get hit by swords. My friend asks me why I didn't just get voltaic key and I reply that it isn't in the deck. He then fliips the deck over and whips out the key. I never figured they would reprint that card having lived through the urza's saga days and was looking for the old art.

The worst I can remember in recent history was vs storm w/ a blade deck. Im out of counters w/ ee in hand; ruins with enough lands to recur; and a top w/ surgical extraction as the top card of my library. I'm at 16 life. He does his thing, goes up to 6 storm and casts a hellbent infernal tutor. At this point, he has a tendrils in his graveyard and I draw with top and extract his tendrils. (I was thinking that he had boarded in a second tendrils, but it wouldn't have mattered in hindsight--he couldve only done 14 dmg to me; if he had gotten past in flames, i couldve extracted in response to him casting it.)

He then goes and gets empty, casts it, flashbacks a therapy to get my ee and proceeds to kill me. The 2 life+extra storm from my surgical was what did it .

The specimen seems to be broken.
    Dec 2008
    Sweden

A friend of mine did this way back in vintage. We are playing a frindly game of rector-tendrils (Academy Rector to get Yawgmoth's Bargain, old school storm :)) vs psycatog/grow-a-tog. We get in to a game state where I'm flooded out and have 7 lands in play, one card in hand and my opponent have tog, a few lands and a steady grip of cards. He attacks me but misses that he can go for lethal by using up his hand and graveyard. I have no other outs then to play Mystical Tutor during my upkeep to go get Mind's Desire and hope to get there. So I play Mystical and he figures out what I'm up to and counters it and says to me after: "your pretty skilled if you mange to win from here". I naturally draws the Desire, use it for 3, and manges to get Cabal Therapy, Tendrils, Tendrils for exaties. Justice.
    "Think of all we could learn from it! It's the chance of a lifetime! You must let me have it! It's a magnificent specimen!"

Scandinavian Master Legacy 2010

World champion 93/94 2013

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    I threw a game away to a Spirit of the Labryinth by drawing off a preordain, netting a game loss, all because I just completely forgot what it did like 5 secs after it was cast.
    I just watched that in the replays. It would appear SCGLA will go down in history as "That SCG open that sourcers failed 2 ponder" after yours and Koby's ponder punts on camera

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Maybe I just wanted to win 3 games in the quarterfinals? (no, not really)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

My worst came at a vintage tournament. After playing a ton of vintage and taking a break, I came back with a UW Landstill deck (during an age of UBx Bob/Jace/ Vault Key Decks). I am playing against P Mass, a well known Vintage player. I have Standstill and Jace out controlling everything when I draw Ancestral Recall! I instantly cast it and put it on the stack, only to have Paul draw the standstill cards and counter my recall. I lost the game and match because of it.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by personalbackfire View Post
    My worst came at a vintage tournament. After playing a ton of vintage and taking a break, I came back with a UW Landstill deck (during an age of UBx Bob/Jace/ Vault Key Decks). I am playing against P Mass, a well known Vintage player. I have Standstill and Jace out controlling everything when I draw Ancestral Recall! I instantly cast it and put it on the stack, only to have Paul draw the standstill cards and counter my recall. I lost the game and match because of it.
    Ouch... This one is pretty epic.

I don't rmember anything spectacular, but as I don't want to leave a mere one-liner here, I'll add one from the recent past. (I think it's documented in the old RUG thread, too.):
    I have two flipped Delvers out, opponent's going to lose during my next attack. He untaps, upkeeps, draws, then thinks for a while.
    Him: "REB your Delver."
    Me (having SPierce in hand): "Ok, you got two more mana open? Then fine, you REBed the insect. What's next? Blast the second? Bolt it?"
    Him: "No, I'd rather Abrupt Decay."

I lost.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    1.)
    Round 8, the last round of day one at GP Denver. I'm 7-1 and completely exhausted. No rest. No Food. I drove the entire way to the GP site because my roommate's car (HoneyT) got hit by a semi. We ended up taking my car, and no one else knew how to drive a manual. So about 9+ hours?
    I knew my opponent had Engineered Plague, and I casted Empty the Warrens anyway. It gets worse. I also miscounted my mana and could have cast Tendrils for lethal instead.
    That was painful to watch. I may have distracted you too.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Beginning of a gpt I accidently look at top 4 cards with Ponder.

In top8 I do it again.....
    Bad sloppy plays used to drawing 7 from griselbrand.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

My two latest masterpieces, read 'em and weep, boys and girls:

Vintage. GP Melbourne 2014. 3-1 record, against Dark Depths, for the ability to draw in to Top 8. Game 2 (after I won Game 1). Him, two cards in hand, casts Dark Confidant. Me, HOLY SHIT!@!@!!!! Mana Drain in hand, snap play Drain on Bob. Then, look at the untapped thresholded Barbarian Ring on the Board with R available.

F*&K.

Him, next turn cast Yawgmoth's Will.

DOUBLE F(&K.

I lose the match I should have won when he takes the third game in a tight back-and-forth.

Next and final round, against TurboTezz, to make Top 8. Game 3, me, Standstill. Him, break Standstill. Me, REB his Jace. Him, takes my Standstill I forgot to trigger and draws three cards.

F*&K.

Then me, lucksack out, having Drain, Fow, MBT in hand AND drawing ALL FOUR of my JtMS, finally resolving the last one to win the match. And then scoop him in because I have plane to catch and don't have time to play the elimination rounds...

Too much Magic that weekend, and not enough attention paid to health, fitness, rest, and nutrition added up to a terrible punt-a-thon in those last two games...

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Next and final round, against TurboTezz, to make Top 8. Game 3, me, Standstill. Him, break Standstill. Me, REB his Jace. Him, takes my Standstill I forgot to trigger and draws three cards.
    How did he "take" your Standstill? Playing instants while the Standstill-Trigger is on the stack (or should be) doesn't automatically make it "forgotten".

My biggest punt happend in my most recent local Legacy Open (semi-finals), after 3 hours of sleep and already 6 rounds of magic:

Opponent has 5HP, unflipped Delver and Dark Confidant, plus a Tarmogoyf in hand. I (3HP) have a tapped TNN and an unflipped Delver, as well as a Lightning Bolt in my grip.
    I ship the turn and he puts Delver and Confidant triggers on the stack, Delver resolving first. At this point I am just thinking about how not to die. If his Delver flips or he gets a removal, I have to bolt a creature to stay alive. He reveals Diabolic Edict, which makes my brain go nuts. So after the Delver flips, I bolt it. Immediately after doing so, I let the Confidant trigger resolve and have to facepalm really hard, as I realize he goes to 3HP. He then finds another removal and I am dead.

It's even on camera. -.-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY5DWXdiXlY&t=31m52s

If you don't sacrifice your Stillstand on resolution and cast another spell (the REB) you missed your trigger right? It will trigger again if you then decide to cast a spell and your opponent can then choose to 'remember' the trigger. In that case you'll be compelled to sacrifice it and each of your opponents will draw 3.
    Last edited by nedleeds; 03-31-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: clearer explaining

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

I just vaguely remembered the text on Standstill and thought it was just an ordinary trigger. Totally forgot about it re-triggering and the sacrifice-part.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    Of course. I just vaguely remembered the text on Standstill and thought it was just an ordinary trigger. Totally forgot about it re-triggering and the sacrifice-part.
    Actually I didn't explain it very well, edited. You are hosed because the REB will trigger it again and if your opponent chooses to remember it then it resolves. Stillstand is sacrificed and they draw 3. When the stack unwinds and it gets to the original trigger (remembered or not) there is no Stillstand to sacrifice.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Actually I didn't explain it very well, edited. You are hosed because the REB will trigger it again and if your opponent chooses to remember it then it resolves. Stillstand is sacrificed and they draw 3. When the stack unwinds and it gets to the original trigger (remembered or not) there is no Stillstand to sacrifice.
    Correct, but you don't forget your trigger at the point of casting REB. At least not according to the rules. Technically the trigger was not missed in the entire example given (assuming Jace breaks Standstill and gets countered by REB). The problem was just that every other spell triggers Standstill again and as soon as the most recent one resolves and causes Standstill to be sacrificed, all other ones become worthless.

If Jace should have triggered Standstill and he let his opponent resolve the planeswalker, then it counts as being missed, of course.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think I have told this story before on this forum, but i'll tell it again for the hell of it.

Playing a Vintage event for a Sapphire, it is the last round, it's my win and in for top 8. I am playing a good friend of mine, so we know each other's lists, playstyle, etc.

Game 3, we go to time, neither in good position, but I have a hand full of counters and Blightsteel and he has nothing in hand and nothing of note in play. It gets to turn 4 and I think of my outs, which can only be drawing both Tinker and Time Walk. Looks unlikely, but I draw for turn and low-and-behold, Jace. I stick the Mindsculputer and Brainstorm into the perfect draw. Tinker, Timewalk, and something else, who cares, all I need to do is put back the Blightsteel and cast Tinker, then Time Walk and in. After I shuffle around my cards a bit to figure the best second card, I put two back and look in my hand: there's Blightsteel. I inexplicably didn't put him back. Now I am dejected, can't win now it seems; but wait, the third card I drew with Jace was Brainstorm!

We are in business again! I count my mana available (Tolarian was going to tap for a lot) and I have enough to do it all. I Brainstorm and somehow, yet again, put back the same two cards I did before and fail to put back Blightsteel. I have no clue what was wrong with me that day. I honestly didn't feel tired or anything I could easily point to. Just me being pretty much an idiot.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Not a punt per se but,

Driving down with buddies, one of which this was their first large Legacy tournament. They had run practice games with take-backsies and a few smaller tournaments where everybody knew everybody's deck lists, and most of them were long standing pet decks. He was asking questions about large tournaments, some do's and don'ts about calling a judge, stuff like that.

The driver was going over the Cabal Therapy/Pithing Needle operation of naming a card as a shortcut and then getting a response, how they could change the name after a response, but they can't change it if you don't respond.

I chime in, "Similar to that, don't forget that Thoughtseize is target player, not opponent, so they could target themselves. Just be aware of that, don't just give them free information"

We get there and the new get gets raped round 1 and ends up with the bye for round 2.

As he's standing behind me my opponent casts Thoughtseize turn 1 and I lay out my hand, my opponent, "Uhh, targeting me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Not a punt per se but,

Driving down with buddies, one of which this was their first large Legacy tournament. They had run practice games with take-backsies and a few smaller tournaments where everybody knew everybody's deck lists, and most of them were long standing pet decks. He was asking questions about large tournaments, some do's and don'ts about calling a judge, stuff like that.

The driver was going over the Cabal Therapy/Pithing Needle operation of naming a card as a shortcut and then getting a response, how they could change the name after a response, but they can't change it if you don't respond.

I chime in, "Similar to that, don't forget that Thoughtseize is target player, not opponent, so they could target themselves. Just be aware of that, don't just give them free information"

We get there and the new get gets raped round 1 and ends up with the bye for round 2.

As he's standing behind me my opponent casts Thoughtseize turn 1 and I lay out my hand, my opponent, "Uhh, targeting me..."
    Those are the best punts. "New dude, don't do X" *goes and proceeds to go do X*

Thread Information