Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Format speed

The mad statistician
    Nov 2009

Format speed

I was having a discussion with some other Magic players and we were wondering what the format's speed is these days. Of course, there is this persistent myth that Legacy is a turn 1 or 0 format full of outrageous combos, and we all know that's not quite true. But with the advent of TNN and the metagame changes that came after he entered, I'm no longer sure what the format's speed is.

What is the "average" turn on which some key decks are winning?
    How long do matchups between the different tier 1 decks last?
    For those with tournament experience, how long are rounds lasting at big events?

I'm sure there are a bunch of other points related to format speed that we could discuss, but those are my big questions for now.

Thanks!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Format speed

Legacy certainly has its share of Turn 1 decks, but these are largely fringe players outside of Belcher. A better discussion might revolve around a concept called the Fundamental Turn (article by Zvi). Basically, when does the deck "click into action"?

I posit that most of Legacy's fair decks operate with a FT of 3. Compare this with the forced FT of 4 in Modern (or at least as told by R&D).
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Feb 2009
    Germany

Among the most explosives starts are:
    • T1: Deathrite Shaman, T2: Lilliana with Daze/Force backup, possibly Wasteland
    • T1: Delver, T2: Tarmogoyf, Daze/Force backup
    • T1: Duress, comboing off on Turn 3
    Can your deck compete with these plays?
    "I see their moral dilemmas. I see their raw courage. I see their self-sacrifice. I see our victory." (Keep watch)

The strength of one. The courage of ten. (honor Guard)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Among the most explosives starts are:
    • T1: Deathrite Shaman, T2: Lilliana with Daze/Force backup, possibly Wasteland
    • T1: Delver, T2: Tarmogoyf, Daze/Force backup
    • T1: Duress, comboing off on Turn 3
    Can your deck compete with these plays?
    To be fair, sometimes no deck can keep up with a god hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    To be fair, sometimes no deck can keep up with a god hand.
    While you have a point, those starts are the litmus test of the format, just like in Legacy of old T1: Goblin lackey, go was the hallmark.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Compete? Sure
    T1 Plains, Vial
    T2 Port or Wsateland, Thalia

Versions of this win games before they start. Going first is everything in Legacy.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Going first is everything in Legacy.
    This

It's pretty ridiculous how certain matches are pretty much decided with the dice roll.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Unless your Manaless.

Almost all decks have ideal opening plays. Goblins Fish and DnT all want Vial (Or Mother), Ant wants a good setup play, Dredge want's LED and Faithless, Rock wants discard and a clock. The question is what happens when you do not have ideal hands? I think then, outside of combo, its safe to say you can pick what direction the game is going at turn 3. as a rule, Legacy is a turn 3 format. Most decks know what their plan is on turn 3, are moving toward it and have seen enough cards from the top of there deck to start the wheels in motion. While they may not have won the game, at this point about 60% of the time you can look and tell what the likely outcome is. Throw fast combo in and then the numbers become a bit harder to pin down.

Add in control though and you really muddy the waters. Add in Control with a Combo finish and well, fun is insured. In these situations you have to weigh up the decks that are being played. I would say against control, how you play your deck matters more than any turn picked out at random.

There are turn one decks in Legacy, but the term "Glass Cannon" is used for a reason. These are decks that are really quite simple to interact with and I think that people who play formats without cards like Force, Daze and Wasteland may not see how simple they are to stop. Then they mistaken the decks as the norm as they are not use to playing with the tools that disrupt the fast combo's they see.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

There is a world of difference if I start first as Dragon Stompy or second

Modern combos: turn 4 on average, turn 3 sometimes. If turn 3 or lower is the average, Wizard will just ban it.

Legacy combos (fastest):

turn 1:
    belcher
    tin-fin (griselbrand storm)
    oops-all spell
    storm (TES and ANT) variants
    (omit show and tell decks because the unlikelihood of hands)

turn 2:
    show and tell variants
    doomsday

later turns:
    alluren, dredge, high tide

in-deterministic:
    elves
    dredge
    stompy

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    there is this persistent myth that Legacy is a turn 1 or 0 format full of outrageous combos
    Holy shit, when did Legacy become so old that it started replacing Vintage in people's presumptions for an archaic, degenerate format? Btw have these mythsters heard of this other combo called Counter-Top?
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    Holy shit, when did Legacy become so old that it started replacing Vintage in people's presumptions for an archaic, degenerate format? Btw have these mythsters heard of this other combo called Counter-Top?
    Is that the unanswerable turn 2 combo that completely locks you out of the game by countering all your spells and drags the first game out for the entirety of the round resulting in you losing or a draw while never ever getting to resolve a single spell or make a land drop?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Modern combos: turn 4 on average, turn 3 sometimes. If turn 3 or lower is the average, Wizard will just ban it.

Legacy combos (fastest):

turn 1:
    belcher
    tin-fin (griselbrand storm)
    oops-all spell
    storm (TES and ANT) variants
    (omit show and tell decks because the unlikelihood of hands)

turn 2:
    show and tell variants
    doomsday

later turns:
    alluren, dredge, high tide

in-deterministic:
    elves
    dredge
    stompy
    TES/ANT are not turn 1 decks anymore than SnT. Any deck with 12-ish cantrips and protection is not designed to be a turn 1 deck. Sure, you get those double Dark Ritual Ad Nauseam openers. But they're no more likely than Ancient Tomb + Lotus Petal -> Show and Tell. "turn 1" decks are generally glass cannons, even if some of the more resilient decks can theoretically pull turn 1 wins. For the OP and anyone newer to Legacy (i.e. anyone who characterizes Legacy as we would characterize Vintage), I think it's better to break them into the following categories.

A. Glass cannon "turn 1" decks: (can win turn 1. runs little-to-no protection or card control. aims to get lucky, win die roll and win immediately. beat by running Island)
    Belcher
    Spanish Inquisition
    Cheerios
    Oops All Spells
    Tin Fins

B. Cantrip+Protect+combo "turn 2" decks: (can win turn 1 if exceptionally lucky but primary plan is to sculpt a good hand with cantrips and then go off with protection)
    ANT
    TES
    Doomsday
    SneakShow
    OmniTell
    Reanimator
    Spiral Tide/Solidarity (sort-of... same gameplan but a turn 3-4 deck since dependent on land drops)

C. Creature-based combo: (involve playing a bunch of creatures. critical turn varies. plan A combo vulnerable to creature removal but has strong plan B of just going beatdown with dorks)
    Elves
    Aluren
    Food Chain-Griffin
    Painter's Stone

D. "Is this guy even playing Magic???":
    Dredge

If you are talking about the turn in which you can die all the answers about god hands are right but in my opinion it is more relevant to talk about the fundamental turn which is when a deck s strategy comes online as stated by the first answer to your question.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

WHat's the critical turn for dredge?
    I faced it several times in my last tournaments, and usually, I could say they have won by turn 2 (even if they were not comboing off this turn), and sometimes turn 1.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    WHat's the critical turn for dredge?
    I faced it several times in my last tournaments, and usually, I could say they have won by turn 2 (even if they were not comboing off this turn), and sometimes turn 1.
    Turn 2 is farily critical. T1 they have to have a REAL nutty hand. But generally turn 2-3 is when they really start doing this unimpeded.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Turn 2 is farily critical. T1 they have to have a REAL nutty hand. But generally turn 2-3 is when they really start doing this unimpeded.
    This is overly dependant of which build we speak. LED Dredge is easily more than a turn faster than manaless
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    This is overly dependant of which build we speak. LED Dredge is easily more than a turn faster than manaless
    Right, but they aren't generally winning on T1

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Right, but they aren't generally winning on T1
    I have never seen Manaless winning turn 1, so I guess my point wasn't off ;P
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by joretapo View Post
    If you are talking about the turn in which you can die all the answers about god hands are right but in my opinion it is more relevant to talk about the fundamental turn which is when a deck s strategy comes online as stated by the first answer to your question.
    Just a small sidenote: while Legacy definitely isn't "herp derp turn1 kill" as outlanders think, the fundamental turn is somewhere around turn 2-3 which is quite fast. Otoh, I remember the times when this could be said about our casual metagame, where "turn1 Elf, turn2 Stone Rain, turn3 Pillage" meant gg quite often.

Thread Information