Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatch's Mono-Blue Martyr

Hatch's Mono-Blue Martyr

Last edited by twndomn; 03-26-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Re: Hatch's Mono-Blue Martyr

How did the deck end up placing?
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

I think he went something like 4-4 drop, although his first match loss was due to being late iirc.

I like the idea of the Sky Hussar draw engine, but the quality of cards you're drawing off it is obviously pretty bad. If the opponent manages to resolve any creature it's almost assuredly going to be stronger than your motley crew of Force Spike Bears. If the meta becomes more combo dominated this deck might have a place.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm down with any deck that plays Skaab Ruinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

creativity, it's gotta count for something.

The deck in its current form might be horrible, but the idea is now public at the least.

Back to Basics looks semi-uncastable. Travis Woo had this deck in Modern a while back but never really played with it long, atleast not while streaming.
    The idea is pretty sweet, though at first glance I'm worried about the numbers.
    And like stated above, a resolved threat will often crush this I'd assume.

The main question is also why is this better than ponder/brainstorm/delver.
    Or Deathrite Shaman.. eats your team plus gains more life than your damage or out races your damage.

Still, I like the idea and synergies, but there are definately holes to be filled.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

Sep 2011

That is by far the best match of Magic I have ever watched. Too funny.

The main answer to those questions (not Brainstorm/Delver) is this deck is a very good example of a deck that is teh awesome of everything for a Johnny and absolute jank for a Spike.

I actually suspect that Thassa's Rebuff could be included with little penalty somewhere in the 75.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

13 lands? Hm... I don't get this.
    Would this deck be viable with some equipment, preferably Jitte and Sword of X+Y, when most of the dudes fly? I guess it eats combo alive, but other than that, this dies to grizzly Bear deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Hm... I don't get this.
    Right.
    Def. no equipment, it can't afford it.
    Nivmag is bigger than Grizzly Bears. They can't swing in -> die to flyers. Not that Grizzly.dec is a deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

I just watched the feature match. Most hilarious game of legacy I've watched. Ever.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

With a different Manabase Gilder Bairn and a planeswalker could be cool, even the ouphe with Nivmagus.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Balling like a fool View Post
    With a different Manabase Gilder Bairn and a planeswalker could be cool, even the ouphe with Nivmagus.
    Why? That's a whole lot of mana (both to cast Bairn and activate it) to do worse than Flusterstorm or Ground Rift can do for 1 mana. Storm is easy enough to build. Doubling counters is win-more. He only double-Flusterstormed that one game to buy a 2nd chump against Blightsteel Colossus to get another attack in their air FTW. I.e. only relevant in stalled boards against 11/11 trample indestructible infect guys. How often does that happen?

I wonder how good Spellstutter is. Yeah, it counters Brainstorm and StP, but so does half the deck. It's basically an overcosted Mental Misstep, unless you can find ways to cram in more Faeries. Bitterblossom actually seems pretty good if you can afford a black splash, but that probably opens up tons of vulnerabilities with so few lands already.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by anwei View Post
    Right.
    Def. no equipment, it can't afford it.
    Nivmag is bigger than Grizzly Bears. They can't swing in -> die to flyers. Not that Grizzly.dec is a deck.
    Nivmagus Elemental is your only creature bigger than average Goyf or any other [insert bear here]. I'd be interested how the games go when you don't draw the Elemental, or if the opponent finds a way how to get rid of it. (Possibly by Abrupt Decay or by countering it; it's not like burn is an option, and Submerge won't work.)
    The reason why you can't afford equipments is financial or is it because of deck design/space? Jitte isn't that expensive, and maybe you may borrow a pair. I think it may help in those matchups where your small dudes are outclassed.

also, do you really play only 13 lands, moreover two of them that don't make blue?

Sep 2011

Nivmagus Elemental is your only creature bigger than average Goyf or any other [insert bear here]. I'd be interested how the games go when you don't draw the Elemental, or if the opponent finds a way how to get rid of it. (Possibly by Abrupt Decay or by countering it; it's not like burn is an option, and Submerge won't work.)
    The reason why you can't afford equipments is financial or is it because of deck design/space? Jitte isn't that expensive, and maybe you may borrow a pair. I think it may help in those matchups where your small dudes are outclassed.
    Expensive in terms of mana, not money. He runs 4 FoW. It's not a budget deck. But he also runs only 11 real lands. The deck is extremely tight on mana at all times, barring that highly improbable mana flood. Casting equipment and equipping seems like way too much sorcery-speed tapping out of lands that could be used to bluff counters, Flusterstorm tricks or activate Martyr.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Why? That's a whole lot of mana (both to cast Bairn and activate it) to do worse than Flusterstorm or Ground Rift can do for 1 mana. Storm is easy enough to build. Doubling counters is win-more. He only double-Flusterstormed that one game to buy a 2nd chump against Blightsteel Colossus to get another attack in their air FTW. I.e. only relevant in stalled boards against 11/11 trample indestructible infect guys. How often does that happen?

I wonder how good Spellstutter is. Yeah, it counters Brainstorm and StP, but so does half the deck. It's basically an overcosted Mental Misstep, unless you can find ways to cram in more Faeries. Bitterblossom actually seems pretty good if you can afford a black splash, but that probably opens up tons of vulnerabilities with so few lands already.
    If this deck ran more than 13 lands, 3 mana isn't that much to win instantly with pretty much any planeswalker you may have out. Doubling nivmagus probably is irrellevant most times, but that wouldn't be the main point.

The most recent Ajani for example is 1WW to give Nivmagus flying and doublestrike, or with Bairn make a lethal amount of 2/2's the turn after it comes down. Seems decent to me, especially since Ajani isn't even a good example.

In any case, it was just a silly thing that popped into my head.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Expensive in terms of mana, not money. He runs 4 FoW. It's not a budget deck. But he also runs only 11 real lands. Did you watch the pilot match? The deck is extremely tight on mana at all times, barring that highly improbable mana flood. Casting equipment and equipping seems like way too much sorcery-speed tapping out of lands that could be used to bluff counters, Flusterstorm tricks or activate Martyr.
    Yep, I'm just watching it. Interesting.

I still think that there might be windows where playing the equipment is possible. Not that it's necessary, I just feel like an x/1 creatures deck may welcome some help. While the fliers are cool and the Ninja/Hussar CA engine looks powerful, I'd be interested how this fares against resolved threat or two. I guess that Goblins, Maverick or anything with lots of dudes may be annoying, esp. when there is Vial or Cavern. But I'm not mad about including jitte at any cost, I'm just asking.

Also, I strongly dislike the 13/11 lands. Thresh plays 18/14 and I quite often mull no-landers. With even lesser number of lands, I dare to say this happens even more often. But I may be wrong...

EDIT: I like the Ivory Tower. So old school. :)

I'd be interested how this fares against resolved threat or two. I guess that Goblins, Maverick or anything with lots of dudes may be annoying, esp. when there is Vial or Cavern.
    These decks amassed are a very tiny slice of the format. You can run all day and play exclusively against Delver or SFM decks which are super light on threats and can't keep up with the CA and combo decks that have a real hard time beating 12 free counters + flusterstorm. While I would not be surprised to see the deck get rolled in any random Standard tournament, the Standard decks can't hang with Show and Tell, while this can.

As the commentators said, definitely a Johnny-not-Spike deck, but seems way more powerful, in its own way, than anything else is.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

As the commentators said, definitely a Johnny-not-Spike deck, but seems way more powerful, in its own way, than anything else is.
    Meh deck seems completely bad, but I'm not the best judge of things as I thought the Naya Blitz deck from last standard looked like crap too.

I love to see people being creative however and maybe with some more tuning it can turn into something to be reckoned with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

These decks amassed are a very tiny slice of the format. You can run all day and play exclusively against Delver or SFM decks which are super light on threats and can't keep up with the CA and combo decks that have a real hard time beating 12 free counters + flusterstorm. While I would not be surprised to see the deck get rolled in any random Standard tournament, the Standard decks can't hang with Show and Tell, while this can.

Yep, the more I think about it, the more I like the deck. Excpet for those eleven real lands, my eyes hurt...

Thread Information