Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatch's Mono-Blue Martyr

Re: Hatch's Mono-Blue Martyr

This deck looks like it has zero clock I could see it losing to sneak and show just by them playing a land every turn. In addition to every grizzly bear.dec

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    This deck looks like it has zero clock I could see it losing to sneak and show just by them playing a land every turn. In addition to every grizzly bear.dec
    The birds and 1/1 in this deck are both counters and clock. It's very difficult to resolve Show and Tell when you cannot counter back against Martyr and the deck MD that many Flusterstorms. Not only the deck can fight off Sneak attack using typical counter, Shoal pitching Ninja provides extra counters. Simply put, it's not smart to try to fight this deck with a combo deck, unless your combo is lands.

Your opponent must play around Stifle all the match, I guess, which you don't play... lol By the way, should Stifle be in the deck or is the fear if it enough? One or two Stifle should be enough for the bluff if yes.

I would have suggested Winter Orb but there is already the infamous Back to Basics in the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagehisa View Post
    Your opponent must play around Stifle all the match, I guess, which you don't play... lol By the way, should Stifle be in the deck or is the fear if it enough? One or two Stifle should be enough for the bluff if yes.

I would have suggested Winter Orb but there is already the infamous Back to Basics in the sideboard.
    I was actually thinking more along the lines of Trickbind over Stifle, though you may need to up the land count for that. Also, if you were looking to screw over Legacy, I would consider looking at Ghost Quarter over Wasteland, as it can target basic lands as well.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I was actually thinking more along the lines of Trickbind over Stifle, though you may need to up the land count for that. Also, if you were looking to screw over Legacy, I would consider looking at Ghost Quarter over Wasteland, as it can target basic lands as well.
    But... if the point is to target basics... they probably have more than just the one basic and can just grab another. I guess it functions as a Wasteland against RUG, but so does Wasteland.

Winter Orb sounds potentially good but we saw Hatch using multiple land a turn in that match, doing stuff like bluffing counters, activating Martyr, hardcasting Shoal. I think he actually prefers having more than 1 land per turn. B2B seems like a great fit if you can get to 3 mana.

Dec 2009
    Newark, Delaware

Won't lie, this looks like a great base to port in the monoblue devotion deck from STD. Thassa solves the beef question, as well as helps select through the deck (slowly), and Bident seems like Ninja on steroids with the amount of weenies/flyers. Cuts for lands are necessary, in this case, but that is probably something that should happen anyway.
    11th at SCG Baltimore - 6/02/2013
    2nd at SCG Philadelphia - 6/23/2013
    28th at SCG Worcester - 7/07/2013

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

This deck is a lot better in modern, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    This deck is a lot better in modern, right?
    It loses Force of Will and Flusterstorm. Losing Flusterstorm is really bad.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

How much does this deck really benefit from being wasteland-proof? It seems like stoneforge would be fantastic? or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Balling like a fool View Post
    How much does this deck really benefit from being wasteland-proof? It seems like stoneforge would be fantastic? or no?
    That doesn't really work all that well with Disrupting Shoal or Force of Will. I think one of the strengths to this deck is the ability to pitch any non-land card (minus either Aether Vial, but they go in play immediately anyways) to either of those cards giving it it's fairly decent control game.
    Last edited by JPoJohnson; 03-29-2014 at 12:40 AM.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

When Modern first premiered, I played a ubr wizards deck focusing on Dark Confidant, Voidmage Prodigy, Grim Lavamancer, Shadowmage Infiltrator + a few other wizards, all powered by Aether Vial.

It worked well, and was resilient, but dealt itself too much damage (I was overzealous with inclusion and usage of shockland, coming from a legacy pedigree).

Anyway, I'm really wondering why not alter this to be a Mono U wizard deck, whether Modern or Legacy, utilizing Cavern of Souls and Voidmage Prodigies? Keep the Sky Hussars, and win with sheer CA and inevitable creature swarms as opposed to the Nivmagus + Flusterstorm, which has a better home elsewhere already.

I mean, it's not too far off. Mono U wizards used to be a fringe deck, utilizing Patron Wizard to shut out the opponent. I suggest replacing the Patron w/ the Hussar (along with other major adaptations and alterations, of course) as our engine to tap into.

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    That doesn't really work all that well with [card]Disrupting Shoal[/card] or [card]Force of Will[/card]. I think one of the strengths to this deck is the ability to pitch any non-land card (minus either Aether Vial, but they go in play immediately anyways) to either of those cards giving it it's fairly decent control game.
    44 pitchable cards to any given FoW or Shoal vs 40, I kind of doubt it makes much difference...

Modern also plays a lot of sweepers. You need every last counter spell to keep anything on the field, and you need many 2 or 3 cmc slots.

I feel like if people think this deck is modern viable that they haven't played the format.
    - Albert Einstein

Yo!

I think Waterfront Bouncer could be tried here. He deals with Emrakul, is in color, tap for Hussy, reset Delver, etc.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Kagehisa View Post
    Yo!

I think Waterfront Bouncer could be tried here. He deals with Emrakul, is in color, tap for Hussy, reset Delver, etc.
    Other creature that comes to mind is Riptide Pilferer.

bruizar

-

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    It loses Force of Will and Flusterstorm. Losing Flusterstorm is really bad.
    Mindbreak Trap? I almost want to say this isn't that bad for Modern. Almost.
    GamErgonomics: The Science of Gaming Performance
    Life Coaching for Gamers
    Personal Gaming Blog UPDATED 1/13
    "Everyone is a hero. Even if you've only saved yourself."

bruizar

I totally loved the coverage of this deck. It was awesome :-). I think Squadron Hawk needs to be in the deck, together with Brainstorm and Chrome Mox.

Bumping this thread in case there has been anyone playing this deck or if there's been any interest in developing it further over the years.

I've been playing around with it lately, and I think there could be a fun brew with some potential here. The biggest conclusion I've come to so far is I think that Martyr of Frost is just a bad card, and with the printing of Mausoleum Wanderer it's no longer necessary to include martyr just to have the critical mass to make Sky Hussar work. Hussar and martyr also have a very noticeable tension between them. Hussar incentivizes you to commit to the board, while martyr incentivizes you to keep spells in your hand. Plus the 2 mana to activate is often just too expensive, and revealing cards in your hand is a big downside. Hussar is the true build-around that makes this an interesting deck. I've also not been impressed with nivmagus elemental. It takes too much set-up, and it's just too vulnerable and unreliable as a threat. Below is the list I've been trying out:

4x Cursecatcher
    4x Faerie Miscreant
    4x Judge's Familiar
    4x Mausoleum Wanderer
    4x Sage of Epityr
    4x Sky Hussar
    4x Spellstutter Sprite
    4x True-Name Nemesis
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Flooded Strand
    5x Island
    4x Polluted Delta
    3x Tundra

Some other obvious omissions are Daze, Wasteland, Aether Vial, and Ninja of the Deep Hours. I think all of these cards have merit, but the list I've outlined is the base that I'm going to start with. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sep 2015
    Canada

Your force spike creatures require daze to be effective. The couple Wastelands were also in the list for that reason. I would not move away from those. Also, Disrupting Shoal is also useful to keep the board clean, as your creatures are almost smaller than your opponent's.

Keep it up, it's a nice deck.

Thread Information