Thread: Dismembering Painter's Servant in response to Red Elem. Blast

Dec 2011
    Spain

Dismembering Painter's Servant in response to Red Elem. Blast

Hi,
    Can I Dismember a Painter's Servant in response to a Red elemental blast
    Why? Why not? And in response to Pyroblast?
    Thank you!

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Re: Dismembering Painter's Servant in response to Red Elem. Blast

You're asking one question when you clearly meant to ask another, but the answer is yes to both.

It's perfectly legal to Dismember a Painter's Servant in response to a blast effect and yes it will prevent that blast effect from destroying or countering your otherwise non-blue spell or permanent (assuming the Dismember resolves and the servant dies with the blast on the stack).

Someone much more motivated than I will cite the official rule, but the reason is because the servant's effect is no longer present when he leaves the battlefield. Because that effect is no longer present, when the blast is next on-stack to resolve it will see that it's requirement (blue spell or permanent) is no longer met and "fizzle" as a result.

Once you get priority, then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Dec 2011
    Spain

Ok thank you guys, wasn't sure if the color was checked in resolution in both
    Thanks!

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

All spells that say "Do something to this type of permanent" will check on both casting, and resolution. Pyroblast is unique in that it specifically states "counter/destroy target if it's blue" meaning it ONLY checks on resolution. However this is the only case where this is true that I know of, so the general rule should stand that it checks on both casting and resolution.

Edit: Looks like there are more examples that I expected as a counter case that have the "Do something if something" format. However any card that does not have the word if in it, checks on both targeting (casting) and resolution.
    Last edited by Technics; 04-04-2014 at 11:51 AM.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    All spells that say "Do something to this type of permanent" will check on both casting, and resolution. Pyroblast is unique in that it specifically states "counter/destroy target if it's blue" meaning it ONLY checks on resolution. However this is the only case where this is true that I know of, so the general rule should stand that it checks on both casting and resolution.
    Disrupting Shoal works similarly to Pyroblast. Otoh, this has very little to do with Painter's Servant...

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

My thought is that the red blast would still destroy its target, and pyroblast would not end up destroying its target. However in both scenarios dismember is certainly a legal play (also the blasts resolving or not destroying is of course dependant on if the permanent being targeted is naturally blue, or if it was only blue thanks to painter
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    My thought is that the red blast would still destroy its target, and pyroblast would not end up destroying its target. However in both scenarios dismember is certainly a legal play (also the blasts resolving or not destroying is of course dependant on if the permanent being targeted is naturally blue, or if it was only blue thanks to painter

Nope.Take for example a removal spell that targets a creature. The creature gets protection from the spell color thanks to a mother of runes. the spell is countered because it no longer has a valid target.
    This is the same for REB, it can target the spell because it is Blue. However if at resolution the spell is not blue anymore, it has no valid target and fizzles.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

If the target is blue on casting and not blue on resolution, Red Elemental Blast is countered on resolution, because it targets a blue spell, and no longer has a valid target. Pyroblast on the other hand will resolve entirely, it will just have no effect, because the target is not blue. Same as if you tried to counter an Abrupt Decay. Still a valid target, just nothing will happen. That's the only difference between the two.

REB can only target blue things

Pyroblast can target anything, but only destroys blue things.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Jaya Ballard, Task Mage for example, checks for color upon resolution of the effect. Just sayin'

Thread Information