Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorable Trades

Oct 2013
    New York

Memorable Trades

Any trade stories out there? What is the biggest, weirdest, or most ridiculous trade you have ever made or seen?

Inspiration: While playing at my local store I heard that a kid had traded his Revised Tropical Island for three Ghostblade Eidolon. Ouch.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Memorable Trades

At PT Austin (back when PTs were still open) I traded 2 Russian ZEN foil blue fetches to a vendor for some random junk to finish my janky block deck

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I almost traded my Blue Sun Zenith for a Sword of War and Peace (when it was 50 bucks in standard) I felt bad and told him to find more. Still ended up being like 20 dollars of bulk rares for his sword. Other than that just stupidly trading away all of my Zen fetches when modern first came out just because 20 bucks for blue ones seemed like such high value. Derp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

This might date me, but my most memorable (and painful) trading experience was my Juzam Djinn for his Stone-Throwing Devils.

I thought the Devils were just such a funny concept I couldn't resist. Plus, one damage every upkeep was bad, right?

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Traded 2 Nantuko Shade, 4 Birds of Paradise, and a few other hot Rares for a LoTR Miniatures game. That I promptly lost all the pieces as I was a child.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Other than that just stupidly trading away all of my Zen fetches when modern first came out just because 20 bucks for blue ones seemed like such high value. Derp.
    I'm so sorry

I use to collect Hymn to Tourach. I ended up trading all 40+ for a Scrubland (In ~2005).

I saw a guy trade a quarter ounce of marijuana for a kitten.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Back during Lorwyn spoiler season, I traded away two Tarmogoyfs for a playset of Lord of Atlantis. My though process was Goyfs were $5 and Lorwyn will print a lot of Merfolk and will be Onslaught 2.0 (remember what Onslaught did to Goblin Lackey's price?).

I don't play Merfolk anymore but I still have those memorable Lord of Atlantises

Also, an LED (to complete my set) for my 2 Misty and 2 Tarns. LEDs were $60 at that time and the fetches were hovering between $10-12.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Definitely a memorable trade. Too many intangibles to know who came out on top of that one, though...

Memorable trades? A while back, I traded my friend a set of Seedtime and a set of Grinning Demon for his set of Orim's Chant. Fwiw, we didn't know what we were doing.

Watched another friend trade an FNM Swords to Plowshares for a Vengevine. On my behalf. Cue guilt trip.

Lastly, a good decade+ ago, I traded three Italian Mana Drains for a kitten at street value.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Once traded my useless mishras workshop for a 15 dollar forve of will, that i needed for my extended sliver deck. The shop 2 was about 70 at the time..

I traded away a Tolarian and a set of Urza's Destiny for a playset of Portal.

You know, the one with both Wrath and Natural Order in.

I traded away two Umezawa's Jittes from the Rat's Nest precon for two Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni about 8~ years ago. Needed a rat lord for the deck!

Traded away a $50 Tarmogoyf for a foil Progenitus, 4 Guul Draz Specters and 3 Nyxathids. This was just before the old extended PTQ season when Goyf first ballooned to $100.

Traded away a Dark Confidant + $5 for a Ghost Council of Orzhova.

I have tons of 3-year old PMs of trading away various blue Zen fetches when their were valued at roughly 10-15.

Most of the poor trades I've done were even at the time; they just don't hold up well however many years in the future.

Sold 40 revised duals and full power 9 1998 for $1700. Always bothers me a little bit.

A friend of mine traded a Tarmogoyf for a cheeseburger when goyfs were drafted and worth $3 =)

Another friend of mine traded a Grizzly Bear for a Jester's Cap (when jesters were $15).

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Couple months ago, traded 200$ of Bulk for 2 x SP Goyf.

#Value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Last year at a SCG open I traded for...

1 Tundra
    1 Usea
    3 Vendilion Clique
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 Sorin, lord of innistrad
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Detention sphere
    4 Stilfe
    4 Nimble mongoose
    1 Shrine to Nykthos
    1 Cunning Wish

This in fact was the entire list of things I wanted to trade for except for 1 more tundra, so I was actually incredibly impressed I was able to find everything at the tournament. And not only that, I was able to do it in a couple hours. This is the most I have ever traded in a single event too, which is why it was a memorable trade for me.

Also, some guy wanted to sell his cards to a store, but they were unorganized and the store refused to look at them, even though it was a small box. I don't like to take business from the store, but since they refused I said I'd look through it. I picked out a kird ape, gemstone mine, and a SP underground sea. I offered the guy everything in my wallet, which was only $15 and he decided to take it.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

3 months ago, Someone once on an trading site sent me a huge list of cards they wanted in my binder (All being Jank cards 2 dollars or less) to trade for his mint-"out of the pack"-liliana of the veil.

2 years ago, Someone once asked me to trade my Sorin, lord of innistrad for some of his cards. I look at his binder seing only a taiga that would interrest me and say "No sorry, there 's no card i would trade for it in your binder", because i'm not an ass and i would not propose to trade a sorin for a bi-land. Then he says "He wait, I've got a taiga!!".
    Well, I'm nice, but not so nice. I told him to take some other cards to add to the deal, he selected some jank cards :)

My opinion for trades is as long as someone is happy with the trade, go for it. I would not have openly tried to rip-off the guys (I would not have proposed the deals myself), but as long as they are the ones proposing it, i'm ok :)

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I traded away a Tolarian and a set of Urza's Destiny for a playset of Portal.

You know, the one with both Wrath and Natural Order in.
    Aren't you winning here?
    mtgpimp

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

At a World Wake prerelease a guy at his first pre-release opened a Foil JTMS. Knowing it was rare/valueable, he announced it very loudly. People swarmed him with trade offers and he immediately traded his jace for a lorwyn block BW "life gain deck", probably worth somewhere in the 20-30$ range.

A while ago trading binders with a casual player I expressed interest in his bob and clique (worth only 10$ each at the time). He said he wanted my Kamal fist of the Krosa and megeta the lion, but could tell that either of those cards were obviously better than clique or bob so he was fine just getting one of them. I happily let him take both :)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    Aren't you winning here?
    The thread doesn't say "memorable trades you got screwed on", just memorable trades.

I remember trading FoW for a Tarmogoyf. I thought "Yes, now I can start building BUG!" only to realize I still needed green duals/fetches... oh yeah, and the rest of the Tarmogoyf playset
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

A trade i will never forget:

I was selling my duals when I quit EDH sometime around 2001. A guy comes in and is interested in Bayou. I say 300 crowns, it was quite reasonable price. He says its too much and then nitpicks some minor damage. I say "sry, three hundred, I can't give it any cheaper". He replies with some nonsense and again points at some nonexistant wear and adds some usual MtG jargon. I say him I won't sell the card then. He argues. I say that if he doesn't stop to bother me, I'll increase the price by ten crowns. He bitches. I say "Ok, three hundred ten." He bitches some more. I say "three hundred twenty." Then he leaves. Then he bitches. Minutes later he returns asking for the Bayou. I say "sry, dude, this ain't going nowhere." He bitches again and hears me saying "three hundred thirty."

I think he bought the Bayou for four hundred.

Thread Information