Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 18: Discard Dis Card

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal 18: Discard Dis Card

Click me!

Click me!

In episode 18 of EverydayEternal, Sam (dats me!), Jacob (koby), and Matt (sdematt) discuss discard as an element of Legacy Magic. The focus is on one mana targeted discard, but we also delve into some of the more popular non-targeted options as well.

0:00:25 Jacob’s SCG LA report
    0:23:20 Discard: Thoughtseize, Duress, and Inquisition of Kozilek
    0:34:50 How to split between these cards
    0:35:50 Pox: The deck and the card
    0:39:48 Hymn to Tourach
    0:44:10 Advantages & disadvantages of discard
    0:52:52 Liliana, nontargeted discard
    0:28:26 Play of the week
    1:04:52 Outro

Links:
    Jacob’s SCG Los Angeles Legacy Open round 6 match vs. Kelvin Young: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jNH5kNERuY

Thanks again for listening! If you have any questions or just want to chat, let us know on Twitter (@EternalMTG), like us on Facebook (facebook.com/EverydayEternalPodcast), or email (EverydayEternalCast@gmail.com), or in the thread below.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 18: Discard Dis Card

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Click me!

Click me!

In episode 18 of EverydayEternal, Sam (dats me!), Jacob (koby), and Matt (sdematt) discuss discard as an element of Legacy Magic. The focus is on one mana targeted discard, but we also delve into some of the more popular non-targeted options as well.

0:00:25 Jacob’s SCG LA report
    0:23:20 Discard: Thoughtseize, Duress, and Inquisition of Kozilek
    0:34:50 How to split between these cards
    0:35:50 Pox: The deck and the card
    0:39:48 Hymn to Tourach
    0:44:10 Advantages & disadvantages of discard
    0:52:52 Liliana, nontargeted discard
    0:28:26 Play of the week
    1:04:52 Outro

Links:
    Jacob’s SCG Los Angeles Legacy Open round 6 match vs. Kelvin Young: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jNH5kNERuY

Thanks again for listening! If you have any questions or just want to chat, let us know on Twitter (@EternalMTG), like us on Facebook (facebook.com/EverydayEternalPodcast), or email (EverydayEternalCast@gmail.com), or in the thread below.
    Matt, what are your thoughts on Thoughtseize/Hymn in the Patriot Delver matchup? Typically discard is good vs the Stoneforge decks, but UWR is so fast that it is tempting to bring in removal or answers instead.

Aug 2009
    Finland

Good episode. Though the sound quality was really bad when one of guys was speaking (Jacob?).

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by yugular View Post
    Good episode. Though the sound quality was really bad when one of guys was speaking (Jacob?).
    Yeah, was Koby's mic that was messed up a bit. Didn't ruin it though

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Yes, my mic is bad.

I'm taking recommendations on a good headphone/mic combo for gaming/streaming/podcasting.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I think the opposite of drawing cards is this guy:

Koby, I saw your on-camera games. Nice work! I especially liked the Surgical Extraction plays. One of my favorite Surgical plays was when I was playing Jund in a match against TES, and I had mulled to 4. I was able to Wasteland his Gemstone Mine and Extraction all the copies, and he never drew another land before I took him down.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Matt, what are your thoughts on Thoughtseize/Hymn in the Patriot Delver matchup? Typically discard is good vs the Stoneforge decks, but UWR is so fast that it is tempting to bring in removal or answers instead.
    I used to play it as leaving in any discard was wrong, but in my testing, this really only applies to the midrange mirror match (in my opinion).

Against Patriot with TNN, I want to bring in anti-Equipment/anti-TNN cards. Anything that ends up as collateral damage I want to bring out. I know that in this matchup, as a Deathrite/Goyf player, my opponent is likely to bring in Rest in Peace and maybe Sword of Feast and Famine. It's unlikely they'll bring in much else. They'll likely board out Force or Spell Pierce, since it's not going to be great against Discard anyway.

At this point, I know Goyf is a huge swing in this game, but I'll bring out other cards that rely on the graveyard. I'll likely bring out any Oozes, and I might shave a Goyf. I'm boarding out Dark Confidant when bringing in Golgari Charm. The life loss against a deck with with Bolts and Delvers can suck. I've got 4 cards to board out with about 6 to bring in. This is when I start cutting hand disruption. I would now move to cut a few Thoughtseize here to shave it down.

You're right - traditionally, you do want some discard against the SFM deck to nug either Equipment, Delver, TNN, or SFM. Thoughtseize, however, is 2 life too much in a race scenario. Since I'm bringing in 2 Grip, 2 Zealous, 1 Golgari Charm, I can shave some discard here and still feel comfortable.

If you're playing a midrange deck and really don't have much else to cut against Patriot - I would bring out some Thoughtseizes. You're scared of Equipped TNN's, but if you have answers, it might just be worth it to have them invest in it then you kill it.

As for Hymn, I don't like it in the matchup. I want to hit things I care about with the cards I have in my hand, especially as a midrange deck, not just random crap. I assume you're not on a tempo deck like BUG where you try to leverage that discard. I think I would rather have targeted discard, and ideally, one that doesn't lose me life.

-Matt

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I think the opposite of drawing cards is this guy:

Even thought it's the antithesis of everything I believe in, I love this card.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Yes, my mic is bad.

I'm taking recommendations on a good headphone/mic combo for gaming/streaming/podcasting.
    http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphon.../dp/B000EOPQ7E

Really solid mic with specific settings for capturing just vocals or if you want more ambiance it's good for that. I know that it's used by a decent chunk of streamers also.

Looking forward to listening to this episode tomorrow.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Even thought it's the antithesis of everything I believe in, I love this card.
    More or less than Spectral Lynx?

Thread Information