Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Noble Fish

Re: Noble Fish

I am streaming a legacy daily event on Magic Online with Noble Fish right now.

Tune in at http://www.twitch.tv/bahra_ Thank you!

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Are you going to be streaming this deck now that GP Lille is over?

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    Are you going to be streaming this deck now that GP Lille is over?
    I doubt it, there's not really room for small creature decks in legacy at the moment. If/when Dig Through Time is banned I'll probably revisit the deck once again.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Has this deck been updated to handle the newest top tier decks: Grixis Delver and Mentor Miracles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

I played this deck in a small 8-man event (4 rounds no playoffs). Went 3-1 but still got first place because of tiebreakers.

My list was the same maindeck as the OP but -2 Looter Il-Kor +1 Collected Company +1 True-Name Nemesis

My sideboard was:

1 Krosan Grip
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Manriki-Gusari
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Meddling Mage
    2 Flusterstorm

Matchups were:

2-0 MUD. Kept a risky hand of 6 land plus SoFaI, 2 of which were Wastelands, and got rewarded. Managed to mana screw the opponent and take the game. Game 2 was similar but I actually had stuff to play from the beginning, like two Dazes and a SFM into SoWaP.

2-1 BUG Delver. Game 1 I got a Batterskull out pretty fast and coupled it with an Edric and a couple Owls and drew like 15 cards before the opponent decided to go to game 2 even though he still couldve stalled for a couple turns because DRS lifegain OP. Games 2 and 3 were just a contest for how many Wastelands we could draw.

2-1 Patriot Stoneblade. Game 1 he got manascrewed, game 2 I did. Game 3 opponent kept a cute hand with SFM and durdly stuff but no countermagic. I kept 3 lands, Hierarch and 3 TNN. Resolved them all.

1-2 4c Delver. Game 1 got fast Battersull online and took it to the win with double FoW backup. Games 2 and 3 he really went hard on the Wastelands, which I didn't even know he had.

Overall I had fun playing this deck, Bant is my favourite color combination and I believe this deck is the best build for Legacy using these three colors right now. But most of the time the deck just played out like regular UW Stoneblade with Hierarch acceleration, and Edric was mostly just a win more, but he's always nice to have. I'm not too sure of the superiority of this deck compared to mainstream lists like Patriot Stoneblade but it's still very viable and most importantly, fun to play. I tested Collected Company was a CA engine in place of more common stuff like DTT, since I was already playing green, the list packs a lot of creatures and it didn't rely on the graveyard.

Had a great day overall, will keep playing this deck just to play something that is not Death and Taxes, which I've already been playing nonstop for years.

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

Bahra, you got your wish. Updated list?

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Jan 2012
    Oslo, Norway

An updated list would be sweet. I was just thinking about putting this baby back together and would love to hear people's thoughts on where to take it.

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

// Deck: Noble Fish (60)

// Lands
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Karakas
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Wasteland

// Creatures
    3 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    4 Judge's Familiar
    2 Looter il-Kor
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 True-Name Nemesis

// Instants
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Collected Company
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares

// Artifacts
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Council's Judgment
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Manriki-Gusari
    SB: 2 Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 3 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Seal of Primordium
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique

Let's get the ball rolling.

While looking at these cards I realized something. Edric, TNN, and Looter all share the rogue type. How interesting. What synergizes with rogues?

-Cloak and dagger does but it doesn't really help TNN much.
    -What about Thieve's Fortune? Perhaps considering there is a good chance that we will do damage with a rogue. The only problem is that we don't benefit from having Tarmogoyf get bigger from having a tribal in the grave.
    -Jhessian Thief? Perhaps as Prowess helps it not die to a bolt and gets in a bit more damage.
    -Invisible Stalker? Probably just a worse TNN.

If we had more cards with prowl then this could be a real strategy but probably not until then.

Another idea I had was to maximize the card drawing effect from Edric. Cards that do this are those that add extra creatures onto the battlefield such as Brimaz and Geist of Saint Traft. The only problem being Brimaz loses to Karakas. I imagine that if we were to Wasteland a target land then that would end up being it. I'm not sure of any other cards that do this but I can imagine that there are a few.

Another idea that was though up here was Cold-Eyed Selkie. A cool idea but probably not the most sound as it's the only card with that effect. Nothing else can do its job so it ends up being too important to die. Of course with Cloak and Dagger on the field that becomes a harder thing to achieve for our opponent but still not impossible. An interesting idea to be worked out in testing really.

Thoughts?

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Bit of a necro, but I think this archetype might have some life in it with Spell Quellers and Leovolds as two three drops that can possibly fit in here.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Bit of a necro, but I think this archetype might have some life in it with Spell Quellers and Leovolds as two three drops that can possibly fit in here.
    Check out the Bant thread in the established section if you haven't, some similar things going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

don't know if this thread is totally dead or not, but I have been playing a BUG version in a couple leagues and it's been real good! no longer a rest in peace deck, but vial is very strong and most of your individual threats are good standing alone.

maindeck:
    2 judges familar
    4 deathrite shaman
    4 tarmogoyf
    4 baleful strix
    2 true-name nemesis
    2 leovold, emissary of trest
    3 edric, spymaster of trest

4 brainstorm
    4 aether vial
    4 abrupt decay
    2 daze
    1 umezawa's jitte
    4 force of will

4 wasteland
    3 misty rainforest
    3 polluted delta
    1 verdant catacombs
    2 underground sea
    2 tropical island
    1 bayou
    1 forest
    1 island
    1 swamp
    1 karakas

sideboard (still a work in progress, but it's been okay):
    1 tormod's crypt
    2 surgical extraction
    2 flusterstorm
    1 thoughtseize
    1 pithing needle
    1 disfigure
    2 marsh casualties
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 skylasher (probably too cute)
    1 winter orb
    1 liliana of the veil
    1 garruk relentless

Jan 2012
    Oslo, Norway

I've been playing Bahra's old list from time to time, and I've had a lot of fun and a fair bit of success with it. I'm planning to dust it off again this week, and I'm thinking about trying some Spell Quellers in the Clique/Nemesis maindeck slots. Are there any other updates you guys have tried that worked well, other than dipping into other colors?
    If it doesn't make n00bs cry, it's probably not my deck.

Jul 2011
    Singapore, Singapore City

I've been going back to straight up U/W. If anyone here is still active in playing this deck do shoot me a PM, it is very quiet here so it would be nice to have someone to bounce ideas off.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

This definitely seems to be a good time to try creature decks.

Has anyone tried Noble Fish lately?

I tried building a version on Tapped Out at http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tropical-fish-3/ .

2x Dryad Arbor
    3x Flooded Strand
    1x Forest
    2x Island
    1x Karakas
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Polluted Delta
    3x Tropical Island
    2x Wasteland
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Nissa, Steward of Elements
    4x Coiling Oracle
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    4x Mausoleum Wanderer
    4x Noble Hierarch
    2x Quirion Ranger
    3x True-Name Nemesis
    2x Vendilion Clique
    2x Spreading Seas
    1x Sylvan Library
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    1x Stifle

I had some good results in the past playing Noble Fish and I was thinking of trying this list. Anybody have any thoughts or feedback?

4 Mausoleum Wanderer
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    1 Looter Il-Kor
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Spell Queller
    2 Edric

4 StP
    4 FoW
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Daze
    1 Smuggler’s Copter
    1 Tamiyo

4 Wasteland
    2 Tundra
    3 Trop
    1 Savannah
    1 Island
    9 Fetch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking the following list in a league soon, after I 4-1'd with a very similar list on my stream a few hours ago. I think this list is a slight improvement :)

Since you're on 1 TNN and 3 Leo, have you considered 4 BoP + X Hierarch as opposed to 4 Hierarch + X BoP? I think that this deck getting it's mana right is probably going to be a bit more powerful than exalted triggers. I could be wrong, but when I was watching you play earlier, you were going wide a lot more than going big, so the exalted trigger wasn't doing much. If you had more TNNs I think the exalted triggers are a lot more relevant, but with only one I'm not sold.

Thread Information