Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Noble Fish

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: Noble Fish

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Noble Fish ran more disruptive dorks like Meddling Mage, Qasali Pridemage, Scooze, Ethersworn Canonist, Trygon Predator, Snapcaster Mage... It was a "Fish" deck.

This deck barely has any disruptive dorks. It's a Bant Stoneblade deck.
    No, fish was mainly categorized by the presence of Null Rod in a deck with Bant Colours.

Most of these cards wasn't even printed when Fish was big... It relied heavily on soft counter (Daze being very played), wastelands as well as 3 Null Rods main deck.

Deckname came from the creater, Mike Noble. This was his 2011 (updated) version of the deck: http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/17331

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

So trying out 4 TNNs was pretty awful, it definitely needs something at the 2 drop position. I like having at least one Ponder in there too. I think 3 TNN works a bit better and I'm still liking the triple edric as you really want to see him quickly. I'm going to go to 1 Ponder and 1 TNN in the Mom slots and 2 Looters.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

There really isn't that much room to play test around. I think the only spot is the Looter spot at 2cmc

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I'm testing around 4 slots, the 2 Mom slots and the 2 looter slots. Right now Moms are a ponder and another TNN.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I'm testing around 4 slots, the 2 Mom slots and the 2 looter slots. Right now Moms are a ponder and another TNN.
    I think I would rather have mom than ponder.

Knowing how this deck has an inherent ability to draw TONS of cards, protecting the draw card engine may be even more worthwhile than a cantrip.

I would actually want to fit a 3rd mom over ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    I think I would rather have mom than ponder.

Knowing how this deck has an inherent ability to draw TONS of cards, protecting the draw card engine may be even more worthwhile than a cantrip.

I would actually want to fit a 3rd mom over ponder.
    I tend to agree with Kobe here...

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Mom also helps against AD which your counters can't stop.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

this OP's list is pretty stellar.

I think i would drop a sfm for another mom.

Another issue. This deck would suffer a lot of splash damage from TNN hate. Everyone has a golgari charm, zealous persecution, and other TNN killers.

this deck has over 14 creatures with a x/1.

I play 3 golgari charms in my team america deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    this OP's list is pretty stellar.

I think i would drop a sfm for another mom.

Another issue. This deck would suffer a lot of splash damage from TNN hate. Everyone has a golgari charm, zealous persecution, and other TNN killers.

this deck has over 14 creatures with a x/1.

I play 3 golgari charms in my team america deck.
    SFM breaks board parity, though. I wouldn't cut one for that. How about cutting one Daze instead? Might be a terrible suggestion, though.

I agree that -1/-1 effects look like a big weakness of the deck, but it also runs lots of counters.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    SFM breaks board parity, though. I wouldn't cut one for that. How about cutting one Daze instead? Might be a terrible suggestion, though.

I agree that -1/-1 effects look like a big weakness of the deck, but it also runs lots of counters.
    that may be true...but when you sideboard against decks that run golgari charm, would you really side in counters?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Shadow is also the tits and it is something people have forgotten about. Stick equipment on that guy and run with it!

-Matt
    It seems to me that in this deck, looter's shadow is far more important than his ability. That is, you're looking to connect with equipment or edric more than you're looking to loot.

With that in mind, I took a look at some of the other Shadow-y options. In order of how much I like them and why:

Soltari Foot Soldier costs less than looter
    Thalakos Sentry has a two-butt so it doesn't die to a lot of the TNN hate such as golgari charm
    Augur il-Vec has a three butt, so it doesn't die to most of the damaged-based removal. The ability is also possibly relavent.
    Soltari Trooper has his own built-in version of exalted to end the game earlier

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    It seems to me that in this deck, looter's shadow is far more important than his ability. That is, you're looking to connect with equipment or edric more than you're looking to loot.

With that in mind, I took a look at some of the other Shadow-y options. In order of how much I like them and why:
    I think you are really underestimating the power of looters ability. As stated in the OP, the format as a whole (and particularly this deck and its lack of ponder) needs the right cards at the right time. Looter goes a long way to ensure that you have the cards you need when you need them.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Razorwynd View Post
    I think you are really underestimating the power of looters ability. As stated in the OP, the format as a whole (and particularly this deck and its lack of ponder) needs the right cards at the right time. Looter goes a long way to ensure that you have the cards you need when you need them.
    Amen.

Looter isn't just for shadow, its to get you a card when you desperately need it.

Also, it would be pretty entertaining to see someone kill a looter with removal.

Had a lot of fun with -2 Mother of Runes, -2 Looter Il Kor, -2 True Name Nemesis and +4 Invisible Stalker, +2 Vendilion Clique. I think those slots are kind of mutable but True Name Nemesis and Mother of Runes provide a lot of stopping power vs a rogue Tarmogoyf, some times the deck just needs to "wall up".

I did however get slaughtered by Jund.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

My Jund test went equally bad. That might be something that we can't really fix though.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

My Jund test went equally bad. That might be something that we can't really fix though.
    I doubt a deck with this many x/1s and x/2s is ever going to have a positive matchup against Punishing Fire.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I doubt a deck with this many x/1s and x/2s is ever going to have a positive matchup against Punishing Fire.
    The deck is designed around Rest in Peace postboard. Against Jund, RiP shuts down DRS, Goyf and Punishing Fire recursion. If they can't stop all your draw engines, the matchup could be not that bad.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I too want to comment that I lost ot jund.

That matchup is pretty hard.

Aug 2012
    Madison, WI

Has anyone tried Geist of Saint Traft in this list? Comes down on turn 2 off a Noble just like TNN, but draws an extra card with Edric on the table.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Geist, Sprite, Thalia, and Scryb Ranger are all on my test list. Thalia seems both good and bad? Helps with taxing effects and tempo, but really needs Noble to shine in that regard. Geist and TNN can deal a lot of damage and draw a lot of cards quickly but doesn't shore up weaknesses that well either. Scryb and Sprite are interesting as they can tempo and evade, but how relevant are these abilities?

Thread Information