Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Mental Deck Deconstruction

[Article]Eternal Europe: Mental Deck Deconstruction

Do you really know how to make the most out of looking at an unknown decklist? Check this out and see!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...struction.html

Let me know what you think! :)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Mental Deck Deconstruction

That was fun and you had a couple of stage interactions I had not thought of.

Are you sure that copying a basic land will give Stage the "basic" type? As that sounds like a great answer to Wastelands.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    That was fun and you had a couple of stage interactions I had not thought of.

Are you sure that copying a basic land will give Stage the "basic" type? As that sounds like a great answer to Wastelands.
    Stage copies a card completely, inclding the supertype 'basic'. So no, stage can't be destroyed by wasteland when a basic land was copied

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilis View Post
    Stage copies a card completely, inclding the supertype 'basic'. So no, stage can't be destroyed by wasteland when a basic land was copied
    Cool! That is an extra bit of information to add to my knowledge.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Maybe I'm not the target audience for this article, but I can't recall ever looking at a deck list and not knowing what it was trying to do immediately. With your first examples, those are defined decks and known archetypes and it's not at all a suprise to see them. They're not tier 1, but you should know what they do. Most of the time the pertinent question isn't "what is this deck trying to do" but "is it competitive?" Even if you see some strange card choices you might never have seen before it takes maybe 10 seconds to read the card and figure out how it interacts with every other card. Maybe it would have been better to use examples from older metagames?

@lyracian: thanks, and, as Nihilis explained, yes that works. :)

@Nihilis: thanks for helping out :)

@HammerAndSickled: To know all the archetypes of Legacy requires much more dedication than most people would give the format. Heck I already look around a lot and I sometimes get blindsided. If you know every deck, kudos to you, I know I probably don't. Also, if you would have understood something like those decks on first sight - and honestly, Food Chain Pod Fit isn't exactly an established archetype, even though the two engines are (somewhat) known - you're a much better Magic player than I am or most people I know. Yeah, I would have grasped what my opponent was doing after a bit but not without really trying to connect the dots first. You're very right however in that taking known decks, even if only to rather hardcore Legacy followers, was definitely a misstep. Old decks lost to the ravages of time would have been a much better idea. If that comes up again, I'll remember! :)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Thread Information