Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: [JOU] Journey into Nyx Spoiler discussion

Jan 2011
    York

Re: [JOU] Journey into Nyx Spoiler discussion

Deathrite liliana and sculler seems like a resonable board presence to get to seven devotion by turn four and start the beats.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This doesn't seem like it works. TNN doesn't have "protection from opponents" it has, "protection from the chosen player." And your other creatures didn't make you choose a player when they entered play.
    Mirrorweave doesn't speak English. It sees the following:

Name: True-Name Nemesis
    Mana Cost/Color Identity: 1UU

Permanent type: Creature
    Subtype: Merfolk Rogue

Protection from [insert your own name here]
    3/1

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    Deathrite liliana and sculler seems like a resonable board presence to get to seven devotion by turn four and start the beats.
    Daze and Lightning Bolt seem like a reasonable way to make Atheros look pretty weak after that opening.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Protection is a copiable ability.
    That's not the problem, the problem is that "chosen player" references a choice that non-TNN creatures will not have made as they entered play.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Like, how do you think this works if you copy Meddling Mage?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Mirrorweave doesn't speak English. It sees the following:

Name: True-Name Nemesis
    Mana Cost/Color Identity: 1UU

Permanent type: Creature
    Subtype: Merfolk Rogue

Protection from [insert your own name here]
    3/1
    That's literally not the text on TNN though. The text on TNN is, "Protection from the chosen player."

Jan 2011
    York

Daze counters anything if you walk into it and lightning bolt is going kill your best creature in legacy a high percentage of the time. A deck with deathrite bob stoneforge sculler and liliana puts a lot of stress on bolt.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    Daze counters anything if you walk into it and lightning bolt is going kill your best creature in legacy a high percentage of the time. A deck with deathrite bob stoneforge sculler and liliana puts a lot of stress on bolt.
    The point was that disruptive decks should make it tricky actually stick 7 devotion. The opponent has cards too, and assuming they are interactive, they will often be trading with your cards. Magical Xmas land of T1 DRS, T2 Lili, T3 Tidehollow, T4 Atheros will likely run into some disruption, and that's just to set up an attacker on turn 5...

It seems like a player could win by piling some combination of Purphoros, God of the Forge,Cyclops of Eternal Fury, Forgeborn Oreads, and maybe one or two other enchantment bodies into the graveyard and firing off a Replenish.

bruizar

Athreos, God of Passage also works well with Mogg War Marshall even without devotion. Same for Stingscourger, Tinstreet Hooligan and Skirk Prospector. Possible sideboard card could be Ingot Chewer.

That, or Zombardment with Mogg Warmashall and Keldon Marauders and less lingering souls type cards.

Jan 2011
    York

The point was that disruptive decks should make it tricky actually stick 7 devotion. The opponent has cards too, and assuming they are interactive, they will often be trading with your cards. Magical Xmas land of T1 DRS, T2 Lili, T3 Tidehollow, T4 Atheros will likely run into some disruption, and that's just to set up an attacker on turn 5...
    I understand how the game works as well as disruption. I was just offering up a reasonable board presence that made the god live and wasn't and over committed board. Sculler would more then likely take the bolt anyway and if they use another to get sculler of the board the god would recur it. Im not saying the card is busted or that id even play it.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Any card with devotion is too much of a stretch for Legacy period. It would have to break Standard in half to be playable in Legacy. How does anybody not see this? Without devotion 7 it's a terribad Volrath's Stronghold, and if you manage devotion 7, it's a marginally better Phyrexian Negator. Are we seriously considering this card in Legacy? I honestly doubt it even sees fringe play in Modern, never mind our format. It will be good in Standard BW Aggro though, it'll probably be one of the chase rares of the set for Standard junkies.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Ugh ... why would you want to animate it anyway? There are very few things in competitive Legacy that can get rid of an indestructible enchantment: why turn it into a creature that can be more easily dealt with?

I'll admit though, I'm not sure which deck it would fit in ... probably something more attrition-based than tempo-based. But the potential is certainly there I believe.

bruizar

This and Vexing Devil? Just thinking out loud here..

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It seems like a player could win by piling some combination of Purphoros, God of the Forge,Cyclops of Eternal Fury, Forgeborn Oreads, and maybe one or two other enchantment bodies into the graveyard and firing off a Replenish.
    Same combo, endlessly faster, Saproling Burst + Pandemonium Opalescencemakes anything better

Purphoros makes anything redoundant, faster and more reliable but... it's a combo which relies on

1) multiple cards in the graveyard
    2) a 4 mana sorcery to win

How is this better then a Griselbrand + Reanimate which wins in the same turn anyway?

It has the same weaknesses but it's 500% faster. (Dark Ritual, Entomb, Reanimate/Goryo's Vengeance/Exhume) GG

I can't to see a future for all of these cards in Legacy

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Ugh ... why would you want to animate it anyway? There are very few things in competitive Legacy that can get rid of an indestructible enchantment: why turn it into a creature that can be more easily dealt with?

I'll admit though, I'm not sure which deck it would fit in ... probably something more attrition-based than tempo-based. But the potential is certainly there I believe.
    WGb Enchantress is probably the only option, and there it's just testable rather than definitely useful.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

A deck that plays 4 whole creatures and doesnt pressure your opponents life total seems like a poor place for the BW God. I think just because of it's ability, it has potential. I'm not saying it would be amazing or anything, but I dont think it is necessarily the worst thing in the world.

I could see some sort of (awful) Dega shell with like Vexing Devil, and some other aggressive guys to pressure thei life total, then when you drop a god, you could like Orzhov Charm back your Vexing Devil or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    A deck that plays 4 whole creatures and doesnt pressure your opponents life total seems like a poor place for the BW God. I think just because of it's ability, it has potential. I'm not saying it would be amazing or anything, but I dont think it is necessarily the worst thing in the world.

I could see some sort of (awful) Dega shell with like Vexing Devil, and some other aggressive guys to pressure thei life total, then when you drop a god, you could like Orzhov Charm back your Vexing Devil or something.
    THe 3/1 unearth elemental for 2 and Keldon marauders? seems like a bad burn deck :) (but I would play it for the lols).
    I guess it could also be played in Zombardment (but may be redundant considering the creatures can already come back into play).

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Janky Deck Building Powers: Activate!

4 Gravecrawler
    4 Carrion Feeder
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Goblin Bombardment
    2 Atheros, God of Passage
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Arid Mesa
    1 Scrubland
    1 Badlands
    1 Plateau
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I like how people be like "devotion 7 is really hard, so let's play this in 3-color"

I mean *clearly* the hotness is to play turn 1 Mother of Runes, turn 2 Chrome Mox on Black for Athreos, turn 3 Phyrexian Obliterator. I can't believe nobody else saw that.

Honestly, I think that unless Thassa were already impacting Legacy in a notable way - it isn't, right? - then Athreos would be worth considering a little harder. But AFAIK if 5 Devotion in mono-Blue isn't worth the trouble, 7 Devotion in Orzhov is probably not worth it either.

It is a little like playing a mono-colored creature with an off-color ability and then saying that it is irrelevant that you cannot activate it. That flies sometimes in Limited but in any given Constructed format it virtually always means there is a better card for that slot. I do not know if its non-conditional ability is worth the 3 mana without being able to take advantage of recursion in a way that is already better than the card itself (IOW, Athreos would just be a fifth wheel).

That said... hurrah! Ghost Council EDH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information