Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: [JOU] Journey into Nyx Spoiler discussion

Sep 2011

Re: [JOU] Journey into Nyx Spoiler discussion

The thing is, having opponent get Bolted to not let you get your creature back is only marginally better than having the opponent get shocked every time you drop a dork (Purphoros). Whereas Purphoros is actually in burn colors and a WB god really isn't... Mogg War Marshal and friends are all better with Purphoros than with Atheros.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The thing is, having opponent get Bolted to not let you get your creature back is only marginally better than having the opponent get shocked every time you drop a dork (Purphoros). Whereas Purphoros is actually in burn colors and a WB god really isn't... Mogg War Marshal and friends are all better with Purphoros than with Atheros.
    But Atheros comes out a turn sooner - so lets say in separate games you get him out Turn 2 and Purphoros Turn 3, then play a creature each turn. Purphoros would win in 10 turns (turn 13) while Atheros would win in 7 turns (turn 9). So it seems that Atheros is much faster than Purphoros with that in mind. Additionally I don't know why people are complaining about the devotion, devotion seems like a draw back since then it can be Terminus-ed or STPed. . . without devotion it is basically an irremovable enchantment that reads "Whenever a creature dies, opponent either takes 3 to the dome or grants you CA." The question is whether

1BW
    Enchantment
    Indestructible
    Whenever a creature you control dies, opponent either takes 3 to the dome or grants you CA.

Is playable or not? I think it might be - but then you can't treat him as a build around me card, instead you simply slot 2/3 Atheros into a deck with B/W that runs creatures with ETB effects. . . Then it provides a decent clock or great CA.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

New and improved City of Brass, good bye Gemstone Mines?

Mana Confluence
    Land
    T, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    New and improved City of Brass, good bye Gemstone Mines?

Mana Confluence
    Land
    T, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool
    More likely it is good bye City of Brass rather than Gemstone Mine. At least for TES.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    More likely it is good bye City of Brass rather than Gemstone Mine. At least for TES.
    Will not have old frame pimp, so TES players will use City of Brass.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    That's not the problem, the problem is that "chosen player" references a choice that non-TNN creatures will not have made as they entered play.
    ^ This is correct...

706.7a. If an ability causes a player to "choose a [value]" or "name a card," and a second, linked ability refers to that choice, the second ability is the only ability that can refer to that choice. An object doesn't "remember" that choice and use it for other abilities it may copy later. If an object copies an ability that refers to a choice, but either (a) doesn't copy that ability's linked ability or (b) does copy the linked ability but no choice is made for it, then the choice is considered to be "undefined." If an ability refers to an undefined choice, that part of the ability won't do anything.

Example: Voice of All enters the battlefield and Unstable Shapeshifter copies it. Voice of All reads, in part, "As Voice of All enters the battlefield, choose a color." and "Voice of All has protection from the chosen color." Unstable Shapeshifter never had a chance for a color to be chosen for it, because it didn't enter the battlefield as a Voice of All card, so the protection ability doesn't protect it from anything at all.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

All of the strive effect seems pretty bad anyway - you need to spend a bunch of mana *and* have multiple bodies in play. Those are pretty big requirements, even for something that wins the game immediately. (How often is Heat Shimmer going to be worse than Polymorphous Rush?)

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    All of the strive effect seems pretty bad anyway - you need to spend a bunch of mana *and* have multiple bodies in play. Those are pretty big requirements, even for something that wins the game immediately. (How often is Heat Shimmer going to be worse than Polymorphous Rush?)
    That and there are typically more superior options (Like for example why would you play Polymorphous Rush when you could be playing Mirrorweave outside of the standard format?)
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

New red double strike man is cool. Unfortunately probably not legacy playable though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    New red double strike man is cool. Unfortunately probably not legacy playable though.
    I dunno, getting 2 extra spells a turn is pretty clutch in a fast Red deck. Seems like something to play with at least

sent from phone, don't be a dick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Feels like your paying more to use the power than you gain. If you want it to hit the player, you have to clear a path. You use your spells to clear that path. Then you get more spells as payment. Why not skip the middleman and just hit them with your spells?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Feels like your paying more to use the power than you gain. If you want it to hit the player, you have to clear a path. You use your spells to clear that path. Then you get more spells as payment. Why not skip the middleman and just hit them with your spells?
    Tbh he's still likely netting you cardadvantage. The Problem is that there is no way this thing can dig you out of an unfavorable boardstate and only works well if you are at least on par with opponents battlefield which makes this a win-more over and over
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Is the drawback too much? I guess so, but who knows? A 5/5 flyer for 3 mana shouldn't be completely overlooked, although Tombstalker most likely is the better choice.

I like it. The trample guarantees that he isn't chump-blocked that easily.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the double strike also makes him a brutal equipment carrier. Slap a Jitte or a SoFaI on him and you're going to have a field day. While off-color, Exalted is also a pretty strong option.

I wouldn't write him off like that, especially due to strong equipment synergy and potential mass CA in a color that normally doesn't get any.

The better question is where he can find a home. Jund might be a prime candidate since everything dies in their hail of removal anyway and getting up to 2 extra cards a turn sounds pretty sexy.

Master of the Feast seems like a legitimate option in a Storm deck that wants to use a SB man plan, maybe it has applications in SI or Hermit Druid decks because it's in the range of a cost effective, evasive threat the deck can default to if it's facing an active hate card.

Obvious down side is that it's an Abrupt Decay target, but it seems like a step up from Phyrexian Negator.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Master of the Feast seems like a legitimate option in a Storm deck that wants to use a SB man plan, maybe it has applications in SI or Hermit Druid decks because it's in the range of a cost effective, evasive threat the deck can default to if it's facing an active hate card.

Obvious down side is that it's an Abrupt Decay target, but it seems like a step up from Phyrexian Negator.
    I'm evaltuating this considering EtW, Tombstalker and Abyssal Persecutor being available. Having a one-sided howling mine is a hell of a drawback on a creature which gives your opponent at least 8 draws (4 turns howling mine and 4 opponents draw steps till it kills your opponent with combat damage) to answer it.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Honestly, Flamespeaker seems stellar in a UR or Grixis Young Pyromancer deck. Brainstorm and Ponder set him up and you can use black, red, or maybe white (if you go WUR) removal spells to get him through. The bigger problem is that he's really, really bad in a format with True-Name Nemesis, both playing against the card and in comparison to it. If TNN weren't around, I think he'd be much more exciting.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    If TNN weren't around, I think he'd be much more exciting.
    The format itself would be much more exciting if that PoS wasn't around. But that's a different topic.

I think the home it might find immediately is in Dragon Stompy (but who plays that nowadays compared to Imperial Painter?) and maybe Jund. What are good reasons why Jund wouldn't at least run a few copies? I'm not talking about replacing BBE, just supplementing it in some kind of split.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The format itself would be much more exciting if that PoS wasn't around. But that's a different topic.

I think the home it might find immediately is in Dragon Stompy (but who plays that nowadays compared to Imperial Painter?) and maybe Jund. What are good reasons why Jund wouldn't at least run a few copies? I'm not talking about replacing BBE, just supplementing it in some kind of split.
    Why not in burn to ensure you don't go out of gas? Sulfuric Vortex might be more consistent in providing gas, but I think this dude seals the game much more quickly dealing anywhere near 5 to 8 damage a turn (if you draw 1 or 2 bolts).

I don't think this is playable. But if there's a home for it, I think it is going to be burn because burn has the spells to clear the way for this thing to connect. You could argue that you'd rather target the player first, but we all know that certain cards (deathrite shaman, equipment with dudes) should be dealt with as soon as possible.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Best I could see is some sort of RB deck where you can use discard to clear out removal and remove their men and ride the CA to victory, similar to Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

The doublestrike on Flamespeaker makes it pretty appealing card draw in red. What happens if you exile lands? Can this get around the one per turn limit? Card draw and accel in one card seems pretty butch. You would only have to hit once to come out way ahead. If it does not get around this rule, meh - needs blue too much.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information