Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: [JOU] Journey into Nyx Spoiler discussion

Re: [JOU] Journey into Nyx Spoiler discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Fixed
    By what definition are Stoneforge Mystic or Deathrite Shaman beaters?

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I'm sure WotC is just doing the creature with powerful effects thing to attract the Hearthstone kids to their business.
    This has been set in motion after Future Sight, though.

https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazi...g/daily/mm/172

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post

Except that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed. At all. New World Order is just a restructuring of rarity based on complexity. I don't know why people seem to have warped it into meaning anything that's different now than in the past.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

creatures making Sorceries, Enchantments and Artifacts completely obsolete by having all their effects and equal manacosts BUT a body IN ADDITION.
    Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post

Tonight's challenge: name all quality noncreature, nonequipment, nonplaneswalker permanents (so, traditional artifacts and enchantments) printed in the 6 1/2 years since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Tonight's challenge: name all quality noncreature, nonequipment, nonplaneswalker permanents (so, traditional artifacts and enchantments) printed in the 6 1/2 years since then.
    I guess I'll start at Alara block then:
    Dispeller's Capsule
    Executioner's Capsule
    Finest Hour
    Font of Mythos
    Maelstrom Nexus
    Mark of Asylum
    Mindlock Orb
    Obelisk of Alara
    Oblivion Ring
    Relic of Progenitus
    Sigil of the Empty Throne
    Thopter Foundry
    Time Sieve

Zendikar Block:
    Amulet of Vigor
    Bloodchief Ascension
    Domestication
    Dreamstone Hedron
    Eldrazi Conscription
    Eldrazi Monument
    Everflowing Chalice
    Expedition Map
    Luminarch Ascension
    Splinter Twin

Scars of Mirrodin Block
    Asceticism
    Birthing Pod
    Caged Sun
    Mimic Vat
    Mirrorworks
    Mox Opal
    Phyrexian Unlife
    Ratchet Bomb
    Tempered Steel
    Torpor Orb
    Venser's Journal

Innistrad Block
    Abundant Growth
    Descent into Madness
    Exquisite Blood
    Grafdigger's Cage
    Heartless Summoning
    Intangible Virtue
    Nevermore
    Stony Silence

Return to Ravnica Block
    Assemble the Legion
    Blind Obedience
    Chromatic Lantern
    Detention Sphere
    Ethereal Armor
    Pithing Needle
    Possibility Storm
    Rest in Peace
    Shrieking Affliction
    Sphere of Safety
    Underworld Connections
    Unflinching Courage

Theros Block
    Chained to the Rocks
    God weapons
    Gods? kinda sorta not-creatures?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I'll take a stab at it!

Let "quality" mean "sees a fair amount of play in decent Modern or Legacy decks or would see play but are banned." So something that's great in Standard but not so much in other formats doesn't count. And while you didn't say "nonland," the requirement it be traditional artifacts and enchantments indicates we are leaving those out.

Splinter Twin (Twin), Springleaf Drum (Affinity), Bitterblossom (Faeries), Mox Opal (Affinity), Rest In Peace (general), Grafdigger's Cage (general), Omniscience (Omni-Tell), Leyline of Sanctity (general), Birthing Pod (Pod), Spreading Seas (Merfolk), Oblivion Ring (general), Detention Sphere (general), Expedition Map (Tron, 12-Post), Relic of Progenitus (general), Pyromancer's Ascension (UR Storm), Torpor Orb (general), Spider Umbra (GW Auras), Spirit Mantle (GW Auras), Hyena Umbra (GW Auras), Ethereal Armor (GW Auras), Runed Halo (general), Stony Silence (general), Intangible Virtue (BW Tokens), Phyrexian Unlife (Ad Nauseam Unlife), Thopter Foundry (ThopterSword), Shrieking Affliction (8 Rack), and Honor of the Pure (Soul Sisters) are ones I can think of. Unflinching Courage (GW Auras) if you're wiling to count it, as it's basically just Armadillo Cloak that doesn't nullify an opponent's creature if you cast it on it.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Eidolon of the Great Revel
    Enchantment Creature - Spirit (R)
    Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost 3 or less, Eidolon of the Great Revel deals 2 damage to that player.
    2/2

Pyrostatic Pillar on a stick - AW YEAH!
    Looks identical to something I posted in the "make a card" thread. Cool. Probably a huge coincidence. But this is exactly the sort of tempo/combo hate that red needs printed in a way that fits into red decks and does NOT fit into blue decks. I love this.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Looks identical to something I posted in the "make a card" thread. Cool. Probably a huge coincidence. But this is exactly the sort of tempo/combo hate that red needs printed in a way that fits into red decks and does NOT fit into blue decks. I love this.
    I wish it had first strike so it could properly combat goyf
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    To be fair, I think people have been begging for a pyrostatic pillar bear for awhile now
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Spite of Mogis seems pretty real. Maybe as fun-ofs in RUG or something to shoot down other Goyfs or Batterskull?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Interesting card. Possibly Wish target for storm decks maybe as removal for a bear of hate? Or in Skred Red (like thats a thing right?) to bonk your own Boros Reckoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Dec 2011
    Spain

I love the new hatebear, I hope it sees a decent amount of play, but I'm not sure, It doesnt fit firectly in many strategies that already exist.
    Thanks WoTC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrio View Post
    Spite of Mogis seems pretty real. Maybe as fun-ofs in RUG or something to shoot down other Goyfs or Batterskull?
    Only being able to hit dudes sucks. I want to be able to done people in RUG. Matches are won by turning into a burn deck from time to time.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    Only being able to hit dudes sucks. I want to be able to done people in RUG. Matches are won by turning into a burn deck from time to time.
    It would be an alternate win-con in storm if this also hits players lol
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It would be an alternate win-con in storm if this also hits players lol
    Hell dredge might be able to hit ten or more damage with it. Ya if it burned players it would probably be pretty breakable

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The burn spell has potential due to being able to kill of Batterskulls and Goyfs. Might be a nice SB card in spell-heavy decks.

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    Hell dredge might be able to hit ten or more damage with it. Ya if it burned players it would probably be pretty breakable
    It might even work with Mogg Maniac or Swans of Brynn Argol

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Except that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed. At all. New World Order is just a restructuring of rarity based on complexity. I don't know why people seem to have warped it into meaning anything that's different now than in the past.
    How I understand it, it is not _just_ about restructuring of rarity vs complexity. It is also about shifting complexity aspects into the red zone (side-effect or not, doesn't matter).

I've talked about this before that players will do whatever the game incentivizes them to do whether or not that thing is fun. The goal of a game designer is to make the incentives move the players towards the parts of the game that are fun. Tracking lots of information is not what makes Magic fun, yet complexity applied to the wrong places can make that the focus. By stripping away the complexity at common, we were able to move the focus back to things like combat and spell casting.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Um wut

Second Black exile target guy(s) card in two sets… a little weird. It's not playable, I don't think, it's targeted removal that costs , but like… I don't know, just kind of one of those goofy "wtf color pie" things.

Does Black get to start exiling dudes nao? Is that fine? When Blue got Wrath of Hog, people got pissed even though it isn't really very good in most Constructed formats, but it was on the principle that "Blue should not exile creatures". This is a way, way more expensive alternative to such a card, but it's another weird case of a color getting something that they classically didn't really do in this way. Black exiles cards in graveyard/library, and I guess there are a couple of older cards like Ashes to Ashes that did it with the standard "pay life to do anything" mantra that Black used to have, but.. I dunno. Targeted exile removal in Black. Just feels weird mang.

Insert standard rant about how they nixed all the strongest things in Black and then went "augh this color is really hard to make different from Red yo"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

How about:

Kruphix's Insight 2G
    Sorcery
    Reveal the top six cards of your library. Put up to three enchantment cards from among them into your hand and the rest of the revealed cards into your graveyard.

Maybe in enchantress or a new type of deck with at least 30 enchantments - because it's basically a draw 3 for 2G at that point.

Thread Information