Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] The Impact of Mana Confluence

bruizar

[SCD] The Impact of Mana Confluence

With another reliable 5c-card available, I am wondering if we have reached a critical point where it is possible to design a potent multicolor deck.

Here's a look at some of the cards available to us now:

5-color manabase
    Pillar of the Paruns
    City of Brass
    Mana Confluence
    Reflecting Pool
    Vesuva

Cheap Wish for all sorts of spells
    Glittering Wish

1 CC Multicolor spells
    Deathrite Shaman
    Dryad Militant
    Figure of Destiny
    Guttural Response
    Judge’s Familiar
    Nivmagus Elemental

Every weird combination of off-color multicolor spells become available. From Naya Hushblade, Vindicate, Detention Sphere, Geist of Saint Traft, Gaddock Teeg, Knight of the Reliquary, Doran, the Siege Tower, Pernicious Deed, Bloodbraid Elf, Baleful Strix, Shardless Agent, Gerrard's Verdict, Tidehollow Sculler, Golgari Charm, Abrupt Decay, and even some subpar counters Countersquall

Absorb, Counterflux, and many more.

What do you think? Have we reached a point where a 5 color deck can exist, or are the drawbacks of the mana base still too big?

Re: [SCD] The Impact of Mana Confluence

What does this deck do? Why is it preferable to an existing archetype?

I don't think that 5c is a critical mass issue. I think 5-color version of e.g. TES decks have had showings in the past, and that there are other, more viable 5c lands like Cavern of Souls and Gemstone Mine than some of the ones you've listed.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by firebadmattgood View Post
    What does this deck do? Why is it preferable to an existing archetype?
    Similar to artifact decks, a 5 color deck would ignore mana requirements and in a sense, treat everything as colorless. Many cards with powerful effects, but awkward color requirements have been printed in magic's history. This design space opens up once mana bases can afford to run those awkwardly costed cards. Players have been predefined to certain deck choices if they want to run certain cards (You simply don't play Geist of Saint Traft in Jund). Some of those cards could combine well if it weren't for color requirements, which someday will be a non-issue due to the printing of more and more 5 color lands with minor drawbacks. My question is, are we at that point yet? And what would be considered the most stable 5-color mana-base at this stage.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Just play 5 color aggro slivers
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jan 2011
    York

5 color hate bears? Meddling mage gaddock teeg thalia sculler pridemage bob deathrite decay delver good stuff.hodgepodge? No clue

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

For some reason I was thinking about this during the just-over-freezing bike to work today.

It would be randomly interesting to see if a "Domain Staples" had any weight in the format. Some junk like

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Swords to Plowshares

2 - 4 rad equipments
    some lnumber of lands

Unfortunately I think this is a good way to highlight just how much disparity there is between the colors, or maybe I just think of different go-to cards when I think about Magic cards than good players. I didn't think of a reasonable Red creature that wasn't better in a Goblin deck, and the majority of good creatures made me want to just throw out the Rakdos colors and make Bant Stoneforge stuff. Meh.

Arguably if you're just going hybrid instead of a 'purer' multicolor approach, you don't need nearly as much mana fixing as Mana Confluence provides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Just play 5 color aggro slivers
    This or play Humans like in Vintage
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    This or play Humans like in Vintage
    Been doing this for like since Thalia and Cavern in Legacy. Mana Confluence doesn't make much impact, City wasn't even needed before once Cavern got printed. Mana Confluence might impact budget as you could ditch the fetch/beta dual interaction and just run a cheaper all rainbow (but painful) base.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Been doing this for like since Thalia and Cavern in Legacy. Mana Confluence doesn't make much impact, City wasn't even needed before once Cavern got printed. Mana Confluence might impact budget as you could ditch the fetch/beta dual interaction and just run a cheaper all rainbow (but painful) base.

I'm thinking of the Huntsmaster/Bob/Imperial Recruiter version. That just looks like White Trash.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I don't think that "Bob, Goyf, DRS" approach is that good, esp. when DRS won't have anything to eat in his/her own gy.
    There are lots of powerful rainbow spells, yet they are... rainbow, and thus see little play. You want to play something special, imho.

Charming the Snake
    20 rainbow lands

4 some acceleration
    8 some control (removal and discard?)
    4 some search
    20 Legendary Dragon Charms
    8 Ultimates

Or alternativelly:

20 rainbow lands
    your 40 favourite mutlicolored spells no one ever heard about.

But I guess the only real impact the card would have is the price drop of Tarnished Citadel, which might be already seen on MKM.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Or alternativelly:

20 rainbow lands
    your 40 favourite mutlicolored spells no one ever heard about.
    How is this not in DTB right now?

This card replaced CoB in stuff like TES and Dredge. That's all it does. In Modern CoB is better in ANC, this is still better in Griselbanned.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by YamiJoey View Post
    How is this not in DTB right now?
    You must wait for the next DTB update...
    I don't know, it wasn't me who started the whole idea of rainbow deck. Also, I'm not the greatest fan of brewing. But I still think that playing 20 EDL Charms plus the corresponding Ultimata would be hilarious.

bruizar

You must wait for the next DTB update...
    I don't know, it wasn't me who started the whole idea of rainbow deck. Also, I'm not the greatest fan of brewing. But I still think that playing 20 EDL Charms plus the corresponding Ultimata would be hilarious.
    Heh. Here are all the charms that have a counterspell attached to it. Too bad you can only select 1 mode from the 3 CC ones.. Most of them double as removal.

Then, there's also Lightning Helix and the split cards.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Heh. Here are all the charms that have a counterspell attached to it. Too bad you can only select 1 mode from the 3 CC ones.. Most of them double as removal.
    The exact next things coming to mind the exact next second you mentioned that there's only one mode to choose is the cycle of Commands or anything similar.

bruizar

I'll tell you one thing, a deck like that will be pretty difficult to pilot since you'll have so many lines of play to keep in mind.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I'll tell you one thing, a deck like that will be pretty difficult to pilot since you'll have so many lines of play to keep in mind.
    Yes.

I think one should add the best planeswalkers into the mix (and some signets) to make it even more crazy. Some kind of creature control tools (Humility, Wog, maybe StP for the initial stages), then signets to ramp into the cmc 4+ spells, then Charms, Ultimates and PWs for the win against control. Purely "I lose to combo" kind of deck, but it may be funny. There's that 15 additional cards to fight the combo, except you'll use Glittering Wish to further the 5color theme.
    Also, if anyone ever builds this, it must use Identity Crisis.

bruizar

Yes.

I think one should add the best planeswalkers into the mix (and some signets) to make it even more crazy. Some kind of creature control tools (Humility, Wog, maybe StP for the initial stages), then signets to ramp into the cmc 4+ spells, then Charms, Ultimates and PWs for the win against control. Purely "I lose to combo" kind of deck, but it may be funny. There's that 15 additional cards to fight the combo, except you'll use Glittering Wish to further the 5color theme.
    Also, if anyone ever builds this, it must use Identity Crisis.
    I think I'd run Firespout and Supreme Verdict as sweepers. Also, if you use Glittering Wish you can just keep 1 ultimatum in the sideboard if you really want to go for such shenanigans.

bruizar

Perhaps some variation of this core.

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Supreme Verdict
    3 Firespout
    4 Izzet Charm
    4 Dimir Charm
    2 Bant Charm
    4 Spell Pierce
    3 Force of Will
    2 Guttural Response
    4 True-name Nemesis
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Snapcaster Mage

Remove something for some planes walkers.

Most of your removal can't be countered (Abrupt Decay and Supreme Verdict), so you can sandbag all your Counterspells for their business. In case anything gets through, you can deal with it since 19 cards are creature removal cards and 19 cards are some variation of counterspell.

Thread Information