Page 142 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 3086

Thread: [Deck] Team America (BUG Delver)

Dec 2016
    Littleton, Colorado

Re: [Deck] Team America (BUG Delver)

Quote Originally Posted by Wakkz View Post
    One or two tombstalkers folks?
    I'd personally only play 2 if I was playing 2 LotLH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    I'd personally only play 2 if I was playing 2 LtLH.
    Ftfy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Sup guys.

Going to take this to some GP Portland side events:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3-4 Tarmogoyf
    1-2 Tombstalker

4 Brainstorm
    3-4 Ponder
    0-1 Sylvan Library
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Liliana of the Veil

4 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Fatal Push/Diabolic Edict/Massacre/Darkblast
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Dismember
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Flusterstorm/Spell Pierce

Anyone familiar with the Portland meta? I usually play up in Seattle.
    Last edited by ironclad8690; 11-06-2017 at 12:06 AM.

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

Went 5-2 and got 9th in a 75 player yesterday with Goddick's list. Beat 2 eldrazi and 2 loam decks, lost to burn and maverick. Felt confidant against eldrazi even though I was leylined four times total post-board by the loam and eldrazi decks. How do you guys board against burn because I feel we have little in the sideboard for that matchup. Also, how would you sideboard if you were expecting leyline post-board? I had tombstalker stranded in my hand more than once post-board against leyline. This was his sideboard:

1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Dismember
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Massacre
    1 Spell Pierce
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Toxic Deluge

I mainly used his list because I had lent out my flusterstorms, and let me tell you how hard it is to play a tier 1 blue deck without flusterstorms.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

What's the main appeal of Decay pre-board vs. Push? Against all of the DtB where removal shines, Push is superior to Decay. Aside from the occasional Chalice and Moon what is the purpose of Decay?

Personally I find Decay to be most suitable as a SB card as it provides you with a reliable answer to all of the troublesome permanents you can encounter in specific matchups. This is most relevant when you end up siding out FoW.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Mar 2009

I continue to play more decays because I like having plenty of outs to Chalice and Equipment. I feel like Chalice is more prevalent now than it has ever been in the past, and though you can still Goyf/Stalker, Hymn, and Planeswalker them out, I find it never really happened that way when I was playing 3 Push 2 Decay. It might sound weird but I also sometimes have trouble triggering revolt when I really need it.

I guess tldr: I win more with decay against the field, and I prepare for the field over the top decks (could be a mistake).

Oct 2015
    SWFL

In which matchups are people bringing in Thoughtseize?

I've had good success with the card vs Sneak/Show, Stoneblade, and Storm.

I'm just trying to figure out if there are some other common matchups where you feel the card shines. Does play vs draw effect when you board it in?

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    In which matchups are people bringing in Thoughtseize?
    Like you said, any combo deck or something that folds to disruption. It's also good vs Eldrazi or Chalice decks since they rarely have card filtering to come back from "I'm just going to take your best card." Sometimes Hymn is bad against reanimator strategies, because you can low-roll and give them a free Entomb, but Thoughtseize is good because it's selective disruption.

I've never really found play vs. draw to effect Thoughtseize too much: if I want it, I'll make room. I guess there are times where I'm on the draw and I cut all my Dazes and just need a 60th card to bring in.
    Last edited by Ixbpoqdxl; 11-15-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Mar 2009

For me it's mostly there for combo, but I bring it in vs Maverick and Death and Taxes too.

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by say no to scurvy View Post
    Went 5-2 and got 9th in a 75 player yesterday with Goddick's list. Beat 2 eldrazi and 2 loam decks, lost to burn and maverick. Felt confidant against eldrazi even though I was leylined four times total post-board by the loam and eldrazi decks. How do you guys board against burn because I feel we have little in the sideboard for that matchup. Also, how would you sideboard if you were expecting leyline post-board? I had tombstalker stranded in my hand more than once post-board against leyline. This was his sideboard:

1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Dismember
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Massacre
    1 Spell Pierce
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Toxic Deluge

I mainly used his list because I had lent out my flusterstorms, and let me tell you how hard it is to play a tier 1 blue deck without flusterstorms.
    Burn is indeed one of the more difficult matchups. With Goddick's list, I would probably go:

-2 Lili

+1 Spell Pierce
    +1 Abrupt Decay

Don't be afraid to burn a FOW on a turn 1 creature. Turn 1 burn creatures are deceptively powerful, since it can take us a couple turns to be able to finally answer it, and that is often 4+ damage (the same as a Fireblast or POP most times).

Remember that you can keep a Wasteland around in case of Price of Progress, using it to target itself or another dual depending on how bad things look.

Hymn, Goyf, and Tombstalker will be your MVPs. Just try and tempo them out.

Speaking of Goddick, I have been chatting him up and getting some pointers for sideboarding. I have created a good doc with some of his notes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I plan to pick up 2 Liliana, the Last Hope soon, and will probably cut Lili of the Veil.

Not all of the choices on there are his specifically, but he did help me by giving me tips on certain matchups. Hope it helps.

Oct 2015
    SWFL

Has anyone played with Search for Azcanta in this deck?

Fills a similar role as Sylvan Library (and Jace?) I would imagine, but I do like that it pitches to Force of Will and fuels the graveyard.

Mar 2009

6-2 on the day, good for a box of ixalan and 4 boosties!

Highlights of the day: coming back after getting blood mooned and Jace ulted game 2 against miracles to win the match, and then beating lands.

Mistakes were made, but thankfully they were about what I chose to eat (chicken tenders and room temperature ranch dressing from a squirt dispenser) rather than my play.

Round 1 Storm 2-0

Game 1: I keep a hand with some creatures and cantrips. I play DRS. He goes t1 duress take brainstorm, bunch o spells into tendrils for 16. "Phew". Delver beats and DRS drains with some hymns finished the deal afterward.

Game 2: boarded out a couple big dumb guys
    , 1 u sea, and the removal for disruption and jace. This game is more back and forth with cantrips and discard, but i hymn him too many times for him to recover from my beats. He tried to go for it but spell pierce and daze put an end to desperation tendrils.

Round 2 Death and Taxes: 2-1

Game 1: I died to typical board amassing and flickerwisp shenanigans.

Game 2: I board out delver, fow, and 3 daze for all sideboard except pierce and the 3 surgicals. This game goes well for me, topdecking removal after removal into jace.

Game 3. Sweepers and timely draws, lili + tombstalker seal the deal eventually.

Round 3: Death and Taxes: 0-2 (whiffed on green sources 8 cards deep g2 after bayou trop got wasted)

Game 1 die to typical D&T board amassing.

Game 2: Same plan as before, but Thalia and two wastelands on my green sources put a damper on my cantrips. I am stuck without deluge or Lili mana and lose to a Thalia with a jitte. I had loam even, just didn't find any mana after multiple cantrips and ponder shuffles, and i never saw fatal push to deal with the thalia.

Round 4: Lands 2-1

Game 1: He mulls to 6 leads with thespian's stage. I go DRS. He puts ancient tomb, and i think he's on some weird mud post ramp, and ponder a goyf with wasteland followup. He puts dark depths on turn 3, passes to me. I breathe a sigh of relief, i have the resources to wasteland the depths and then Lili sac the token. Rest of the game was pretty quick after that. I play long enough to see exploration and grove so i know he's on lands.

Game 2: surgicals, loam, pierce, jace come in for various removal and hymns. I get crushed super hard by t1 wasteland, mox, 2 exploration, more lands, and end the turn with loam. Vomit. I never really had a chance he was loaming and playing 3 lands per turn, eventually die to marit.

Game 3: I get lucky and am able to surgical stages after he has depths in play. Goyf joins my drs after and they take it home with the savage beats.

Tournament 2:

Round 1: Miracles: 2-1

Game 1: I get swords snapped into oblivion

Game 2: board out all removal, 2 wasteland for 2 jace, 2 surgical, 1 loam, 1 pierce, 2 thoughtseize. Things aren't going too well, he lands jace, i land Lili. He is brainstorming and gaining advantage, i am making us each discard. Eventually, he drops blood moon. Poop, i have no threats on board. I continue playing in hopes that Lili ult can eventually save me. I ult 1 time, keeping Lili with 1 counter. I separate lands (all basics) from Jace and moon. He keeps the Jace moon pile. Things keep going like that for a while, brainstorming and plusing lili. Eventually he has Jace with 12 counters, i ult again, this time sac lili. I put Jace in one pile, moon and two "mountains" in another. He keeps jace. I play delver with 3 brainstorm in hand. He ults, but he is at 7. I flip delver, swing him down to 4, again to 1, and again on the turn I draw my last card. *PHEW*

Game 3: I surgical terminus to play 2 delvers without fear. He is struggling to play around daze and i daze a mentor and a Jace. I land a Jace of my own and the delvers flip, goyfs join the jamboree, and game is over quick. Couldn't believe I won this match!

Round 2: Maverick: 1-2

Game 1: I play drs, fow his turn 1 drs, wasteland him and play a goyf, he scoops it up.

Game 2: I board out the dazed delvers forces for everything but the surgicals and the pierce. I keep a discard heavy hand, but i get behind on board and can't find removal with cantrips. Die to jitted Thalia beats.

Game 3: little bit of a back and forth grind, but he plays choke and wastes both my bayous in the same turn. Even though I have loam, i can't recover and die eventually.

Round 3: Aluren: 2-0

Both games I just drs hymn wasteland him out. I didn't know he was on aluren, i thought he was on 4c leo.

Round 4: Death and Taxes: 2-1

Lose game 1, board into a control deck and win g2 &3.

List was goddick's but with Veil Lili (budget choice, but helped win v miracles and lands)
    Last edited by ironclad8690; 11-18-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Mar 2009

Tried to enter the side event today at gp portland and it was full. I registered for an on demand and lost to chandra stompy.

That was that

:/

Nov 2017
    Shanghai, China

Hey guys. I wanna ask what would be the best threats for 3+ mana in this deck?

For now I'm using 2 LtLH, 1 Tombstalker and 1 TNN. However, I saw many of you guys use 2 Tombstalkers in the main. I tried to ask other player around me but they're just arguing.(Well...they play other decks rather than Team USA)

A little bit mess here.

Nov 2017
    Shanghai, China

Quote Originally Posted by ReinhardtGao View Post
    Hey guys. I wanna ask what would be the best threats for 3+ mana in this deck?

For now I'm using 2 LtLH, 1 Tombstalker and 1 TNN. However, I saw many of you guys use 2 Tombstalkers in the main. I tried to ask other player around me but they're just arguing.(Well...they play other decks rather than Team USA)

A little bit mess here.
    For everyone's information, below is my deck currently.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Tombstalker
    1 True-Name Nemesis

2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Ponder
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    4 Hymn to Tourach

2 Liliana, the Last Hope

1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 island is because there is a really "magical” Trisphere Red here in the city I play Legacy.
    As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm still thinking of which creature/planewalker would be the better choice for current environment. My local meta are mainly unfair decks (SNT, MUD, Elves, Post Ramp)and several fairs such as Grixis and Mav.

I'm still scanning the previous posts by you all. Meanwhile your suggestion are highly appreciated.

There isn't going to be a "best" threat for your topend -- it's about personal preference or meta.

TNN has good synergy with Last Hope's -2, and playing a Jitte in the board capitalizes on it even more. If you like it and it works, then it's the right call.

I like Tombstalker because it's a big cool demon. If you can clear the way (through Strixes) then it closes the game really fast. But again, playstyle.

I don't like basics in delver decks, but that's a different story.

Dec 2016
    Littleton, Colorado

If you want a basic because of your meta I would try a swamp for a bayou and then make the 2 tombstalkers into anglers. This will allow you to cast angler, DRS and fatal push around BM and wasteland.

Then AD isn't dead with a single DRS.

Has there been an updated sideboard guide written since the original primer was put up 3 years ago? I've played several leagues on MTGO with this deck and I feel like I'm giving away tons of games by not knowing what to take out in many matchups. I'm fine putting in more work to figure it out eventually, but I'm hoping to find some help.

Apr 2017
    Santa Barbara, California

"Mistakes were made, but thankfully they were about what I chose to eat (chicken tenders and room temperature ranch dressing from a squirt dispenser) rather than my play."

That's freaking hilarious. Thanks for the detailed report. It seems like you are in a somewhat hostile meta for the deck you're playing.
    MTGO: Cucaracha_Gigante
    Currently Playing:
    Maverick. D&T.
    Reanimator.
    BURN.

What are everyone's thoughts on Jace in the board?

While being a ridiculous card and extremely powerful, I find that the spots I want him (notably 4c Leo and UWr miracles) the decks already pack several Pyroblast/REBs and it just feels like a terrible spot to have what's supposed to be your big-time card get answered cleanly by a 1-mana instant. Maybe there are other grindy matchups (the Mirror, Lands?) which they dont have access to Pyroblast/REB, but I feel like cards like Loam, Sylvan Library, Veils/Last Hopes, and recently Ive played some with a Tireless Tracker in the board can just as well grind out the game and provide tons of CA while dodging more clean answers.

This is also a SB space issue, and while I don't easily cut Jace, I'm not sure I can really justify him right now. Am I wrong?

Thread Information