Page 17 of 155 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Team America (BUG Delver)

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [DTB] Team America (BUG Delver)

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    So you try to transform the tempodeck into a midrange deck with a low landcount?
    Hm...Why? ;D
    Because it wins? Because it's unexpected, and that itself is an advantage?

It seems like a lot of MtG players are opposed to experimentation. Deathrite Shaman was met with initial opposition by some people on this thread since it was viewed as a "midrange" card. I think Agent's power is obvious given how well BUG Cascade is doing. The only thing required to make it work is cutting Daze, which you are often doing against decks you'd like to bring him in against.

Transforming into a more midrange-y style of play has pretty much *always* been the case in post-board games with Team America when you're faced against midrange or control. TA has perhaps the *best* combo matchup, even game 1, so the sideboard should be geared towards winning the more troublesome matchups.

Some lists run bombs to win these kind of matchups, e.g. Jace TMS, additional Sylvan Library, or Notion Thief. While this is a perfectly valid approach, I am finding that Agent is a great way of keeping pressure up. With UWr Miracles being so prevalent, having some method of consistently winning this matchup is pretty important. Agent + Liliana are partly why BUG Cascade does so well against Miracles. It also gives you a better fighting chance against other BUG decks.

Example sideboard:

4 Shardless Agent
    2 Disfigure
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Null Rod
    1 Umezawa's Jitte OR Night of Soul's Betrayal (Jitte is better with the high creature count, but NoSB is really great against the format right now)
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Envelop

3 mana is pretty easy to reach with the help of DRS, and against many of the decks you'd be bringing him in against, your mana-base isn't usually under as much pressure.

I've actually tested Baleful Strix in the past, but I think Agent is the more explosive card.

I am not trying to argue that this is 'the future of BUG Delver', merely a valid option in a metagame full of midrange and control matchups.

So I just picked up the duals I needed for TA (been playing RUG Delver the last few months or so), my meta's fairly balanced with (out of ~12 regulars) 3-4 combo, 3-4 delver, 1-2 jank, 1-2 midrangey (stoneblade, shardless, miracles).

For my first build, I'm going to try the 2x Tombstalker, 4x Hymn, 2x Liliana package (4-of the other usual cards) but am looking for some sideboard opinions:

4x Spell Pierce
    2x Disfigure
    2x Golgari Charm
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Null Rod
    1x Vendilion Clique

Wondering if I should add a Jace or an additional Clique in the SB, 4 Pierce might be a bit much. Trying to keep the SB fairly diverse to cover a wide range of decks.
    Current Legacy Decks:
    Shardless BUG

Retired:
    UWr Miracles
    RUG/BUG Delver
    Ad Nauseam Tendrils

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

In the 2x Tombstalker builds, I liked 2x Clique just to give you a straight 1 for 1 trade when you board out Stalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    Because it's unexpected, and that itself is an advantage?
    I find that a very valid argument indeed. It helps in making opponents unsure in what and how to play and sideboard, which can be a huge advantage. I'm very interested in hearing your testing results! BUG has a lot of 2 CC bombs, so I'd like to see how this works out.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeff View Post
    So I just picked up the duals I needed for TA (been playing RUG Delver the last few months or so), my meta's fairly balanced with (out of ~12 regulars) 3-4 combo, 3-4 delver, 1-2 jank, 1-2 midrangey (stoneblade, shardless, miracles).

For my first build, I'm going to try the 2x Tombstalker, 4x Hymn, 2x Liliana package (4-of the other usual cards) but am looking for some sideboard opinions:

4x Spell Pierce
    2x Disfigure
    2x Golgari Charm
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Null Rod
    1x Vendilion Clique

Wondering if I should add a Jace or an additional Clique in the SB, 4 Pierce might be a bit much. Trying to keep the SB fairly diverse to cover a wide range of decks.
    Hi,
    4 Pierce is a bit to much, cut 1 Pierce for a 2nd Clique, its important to keep your threat count high against RIP/Plow Decks, so you can switch 2 Stalker for 2 Cliques after boarding + its great against Miracles and SFM decks, rest looks solid (even if I prefer the 2nd Cage over the Surgical) and is about personally preferences...

Greetings
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Appreciate the feedback guys, will make some modifications for this week's legacy FNM. Special shoutout to Esper, watching your QF match against Lossett was a great watch for someone like me learning the deck. Sorry you had to play him but congrats on the great run! This is what I'm thinking right now for an updated SB:

2x Disfigure
    1x Flusterstorm
    2x Golgari Charm
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Pithing Needle
    2x Spell Pierce
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Toxic Deluge
    2x Vendilion Clique

Anyone have success with the Toxic Deluge? I saw it work out well in a vod from a recent SCG open (not sure which one atm, it was the B/W Stoneblade vs. TA game) but I'm worried about the splash effect it has on our own dudes (barring Tombstalker and Goyf). I'm basically just looking for a catch-all sweeper that's not Charm.
    Current Legacy Decks:
    Shardless BUG

Retired:
    UWr Miracles
    RUG/BUG Delver
    Ad Nauseam Tendrils

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Hah thanks, too bad I couldn't play better / win! Much of my credit needs to go to phazonmutant though since I pretty much took his decklist that he won Portland with (check out the videos of his matches if you're looking for more content to learn from).

I haven't tested Deluge yet since I'm playing TNNs but my gut says it's not great for us since most of our guys will die to any decently sized Deluge. Tombstalker builds will be better with it, of course.

Marsh Casualties sees some play in mostly TNN lists. Even more narrow than Charm, but it's 1-sided and can potentially hit bigger things. I'm not advocating it since I like Charm quite a bit but just throwing options out there.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Appreciate the feedback guys, will make some modifications for this week's legacy FNM. Special shoutout to Esper, watching your QF match against Lossett was a great watch for someone like me learning the deck. Sorry you had to play him but congrats on the great run! This is what I'm thinking right now for an updated SB:

2x Disfigure
    1x Flusterstorm
    2x Golgari Charm
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Pithing Needle
    2x Spell Pierce
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Toxic Deluge
    2x Vendilion Clique

Anyone have success with the Toxic Deluge? I saw it work out well in a vod from a recent SCG open (not sure which one atm, it was the B/W Stoneblade vs. TA game) but I'm worried about the splash effect it has on our own dudes (barring Tombstalker and Goyf). I'm basically just looking for a catch-all sweeper that's not Charm.
    I tested it for a bit; the combination of life loss and loss of DRS (Delver was usually acceptable) just made it bad.

If you are looking for a catch-all, Deluge is it; however, the collateral damage is too high.

(Sent from my phone, please ignore typos and grammar errors)
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Hah thanks, too bad I couldn't play better / win! Much of my credit needs to go to phazonmutant though since I pretty much took his decklist that he won Portland with (check out the videos of his matches if you're looking for more content to learn from).

I haven't tested Deluge yet since I'm playing TNNs but my gut says it's not great for us since most of our guys will die to any decently sized Deluge. Tombstalker builds will be better with it, of course.

Marsh Casualties sees some play in mostly TNN lists. Even more narrow than Charm, but it's 1-sided and can potentially hit bigger things. I'm not advocating it since I like Charm quite a bit but just throwing options out there.
    Where is this match archived?
    Currently playing:

Canadian Threshold Primer!
    Team America

My blog about Legacy, limited, EDH and stuff!

I play deluge in my sideboard because there are 2+ merfolk players where I play. It is only there to beat merfolk. I did bring it in once against 12 post as a fun pay 12 life to kill an eldrazi, but for the most part I only use it for merfolk.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

That was indeed a blow out. I think in a deck with Goyf and Stalker it is probably pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    Where is this match archived?
    Here's Phazonmutant's finals match (it was SCG Seattle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQW...4ql2EUTK4ipuEQ

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Here's Phazonmutant's finals match (it was SCG Seattle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQW...4ql2EUTK4ipuEQ
    In my work-related fatigue, I quoted the wrong post. I meant your match :)
    Currently playing:

Team America

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    In my work-related fatigue, I quoted the wrong post. I meant your match :)
    Oh heh, here's the link for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8i...g1wqUFnf3EwI2L

Hey all,

This is my current TA list. It's been doing quite well for me lately, and has the adjustments needed in the new metagame.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Tombstalker

4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Ponder
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island

SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 3 Golgari Charm
    SB: 3 Disfigure
    SB: 1 Envelop
    SB: 1 Spell Pierce
    SB: 1 Sylvan Library
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 1 Creeping Tar Pit
    SB: 1 Liliana of the Veil

Tombstalker is still excellent pre-board, and Clique is reasonable to great in a lot of match-ups. Still not a fan of Confidant or TNN though. Golgari Charm is too good and I don't want to hamstring the card by playing creatures that I don't want to die. I think Confidant is better with Thoughtseize than with Hymn, but I'm not playing this deck without less than 4 Hymns because that card just screams free wins. I'm also playing 2 Libraries, in the 75, it's seriously hard to lose when your deck is all heavy hitters and you can draw a bunch of free cards. I also cut a land to fit in everything, which I think is fine because Sylvan Library helps you find more lands and RUG is the only deck maindecking Stifle anyways. Other than that, the SB is mostly geared to deal with Miracles/Elves/D&T, which I find to be the harder match-ups.

Combo is pretty bad right now, so Spell Pierces get trimmed and one of them becomes an Envelop.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
    Hey all,

This is my current TA list. It's been doing quite well for me lately, and has the adjustments needed in the new metagame.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Tombstalker

4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Ponder
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island

Tombstalker is still excellent pre-board, and Clique is reasonable to great in a lot of match-ups. Still not a fan of Confidant or TNN though. Golgari Charm is too good and I don't want to hamstring the card by playing creatures that I don't want to die. I think Confidant is better with Thoughtseize than with Hymn, but I'm not playing this deck without less than 4 Hymns because that card just screams free wins. I'm also playing 2 Libraries, in the 75, it's seriously hard to lose when your deck is all heavy hitters and you can draw a bunch of free cards. I also cut a land to fit in everything, which I think is fine because Sylvan Library helps you find more lands and RUG is the only deck maindecking Stifle anyways. Other than that, the SB is mostly geared to deal with Miracles/Elves/D&T, which I find to be the harder match-ups.

Combo is pretty bad right now, so Spell Pierces get trimmed and one of them becomes an Envelop.
    how are you doing against Jund with that list?

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Thanks. I watched it last night while re-sleeving my own TA for a couple of upcoming tournaments.

I didn't catch any bad plays at all on your part, the only mistake that I could see was playing a Tarmogoyf when you already had a clock (Delver, I think) on the board right into a Terminus at the very beginning of game 1. Maybe I'm playing the match-up wrong, but I'm rather ardent about not getting 2-for-1'd. That said, I'm about 50/50 against Miracles, even though I have TNN in the deck instead of Tombstalker, so I might be doing something wrong.
    Currently playing:

Team America

Hey all,

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Tombstalker

4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Ponder
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island

Thanks for sharing your list akatsuki! I love it with the 4 Hymns (indeed: Free wins!) and Library MB. I'm also leaning towards more cards in the 75 to beat Miracles, it is just so prevalent right now. Therefore I like the Clique & 2 Liliana's MB and a lot to fight them in the SB.

Jund becomes harder as you cut half of your Tombstalkers. Still, my record against Jund with 2 Tombstalkers was very, very good, so I'm okay with it getting worse.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Jund becomes harder as you cut half of your Tombstalkers. Still, my record against Jund with 2 Tombstalkers was very, very good, so I'm okay with it getting worse.
    how does it feel to only have 5 real lands against rug? or UR delver?

Thread Information