Page 29 of 155 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Team America (BUG Delver)

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Re: [DTB] Team America (BUG Delver)

I played a Virtue's Ruin in board for the Saturday legacy #1 event at GP Portland. I didn't play against D&T (although there was a ton of it), but did board it in against Esperblade with Lingering Souls. He Misdirected my Hymn and hit it though It's ok, won that game.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Hey guys. So Here's a mini-report of what I played against in the IQ last weekend:

My list for reference:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Delver of Secrets
    1 Vendilion Clique
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Disfigure
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Wasteland
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta

SB: 3 Spell Pierce
    SB: 1 Liliana of the Veil
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Golgari Charm
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 Disfigure
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Here's how the rounds went:

Round 1: ANT - 0-2 Loss

Round 2: Burn - 2-0 Win

Round 3 ANT - 2-1 Win

Round 4 Esper Delver - 2-1 Win

Round 5 Manaless Dredge - ID for Top 8 Spot

Top 8 Round 1: Oops All Spells - 2-0 Win

Top 8 Round 2: Tin Fins - 2-1 Win

Top 8 Round 3: ANT - Split the winnings to where I got the Invite, first place, and half the packs while he got the cash between first and second. He was okay with that since he's already queued up for SCG Invitationals.

Weird field eh? Was mostly combo and burn. Also I was the only guy with Force of Will in the Top 8 lol.

One question: Against my round one ANT opponent I kept the following hand on the play in game 2: 1 Delver, 1 Deathrite, 1 brainstorm, 4 lands (2-3 of which were fetches). Would you keep this against ANT? My thought process was ANT is a Turn 3-4 combo deck on average so I didn't feel the need to mulligan looking for more disruption. The argument against it is that if they play a turn one discard spell I can get pretty boned, but I'm not sure if I can play around that either. I got punished because he actually had the nut. On his first turn he probed me, saw I had nothing, and went off turn one. I don't think you can play around ANT going off turn one. What I'm really wondering is if you guys think this hand is keep-able based on ANT's average draws?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

If you knew that he was on ANT, I'd throw it back, especially on the draw. It doesn't just not do much, it pretty muh makes you play land, DRS so you can do Brainstorm + Delver or discard turn 2, meaning your Delver might not flip on turn 3...etc. It's a pretty risky hand.

I was curious what results people have had with the dark confidant version of this deck. I saw the version that placed 4th at SCG and was curious what people thought of it.
    This is the list for reference. Stifle is also in interesting inclusion, at the cost of space for Lilliana
    Creatures (17)

3 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    Lands (18)

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    Spells (25)

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Stifle
    4 Ponder
    Sideboard

2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    2 Disfigure
    3 Divert
    1 Force of Will
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Marsh Casualties
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

Aug 2014
    Outside Cincinnati, OH

@Dragonslayer_90: Maybe I just have exceedingly poor luck against ANT, but in my experience they have the resources and go for the Turn 1 KO often enough that I typically won't keep a hand on the draw without FoW + blue card.

@trollking21: I only run a singleton Dark Confidant for now and don't like running multiples unless I'm main boarding Sylvan Library as well. To be fair, I'm still fairly new to piloting this archetype, so I would consider some of the other users' opinions with more weight than my own. I'm also very found of Stifle and like the extra edge it grants me against Storm and Miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    One question: Against my round one ANT opponent I kept the following hand on the play in game 2: 1 Delver, 1 Deathrite, 1 brainstorm, 4 lands (2-3 of which were fetches). Would you keep this against ANT? My thought process was ANT is a Turn 3-4 combo deck on average so I didn't feel the need to mulligan looking for more disruption. The argument against it is that if they play a turn one discard spell I can get pretty boned, but I'm not sure if I can play around that either. I got punished because he actually had the nut. On his first turn he probed me, saw I had nothing, and went off turn one. I don't think you can play around ANT going off turn one. What I'm really wondering is if you guys think this hand is keep-able based on ANT's average draws?
    I'm new to TA, so take this with a grain of salt, but I picked up the deck because I was tired of losing to it when I played ANT. That opener looks strong. ANT's T1's are so, so rare, and even more so with a Probe to check for safety. The only risky part is what you pointed out; they can get your Brainstorm and you won't be able to turn it into a Hymn, a Liliana, or some other strong disruptive play. Most of the time T1 DRS is perfectly serviceable because their graveyard will be completely under your control. IMO having a disruptive permanent against ANT, much less one that they can't discard because you resolve it T1, is way more valuable than having one or two pieces of permission.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by trollking21 View Post
    I was curious what results people have had with the dark confidant version of this deck. I saw the version that placed 4th at SCG and was curious what people thought of it.
    This is the list for reference. Stifle is also in interesting inclusion, at the cost of space for Lilliana
    Creatures (17)

3 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    Lands (18)

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    Spells (25)

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Stifle
    4 Ponder
    Sideboard

2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    2 Disfigure
    3 Divert
    1 Force of Will
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Marsh Casualties
    That list is pretty similar to Jerry Mee's build (see Post 461), although Jerry didn't run any Tarmogoyfs. The main issue I have with the above list is that Delver is weakened a lot when you have 17 creatures. The BURG thread went on and on, rightly, about the need to keep the spell count high in order to maximize Delver's power. The more you weaken Delver, the more I think you would be better off moving into Deathblade or something like that. Stifle and countermagic are better against Miracles than discard, so a build like this is logical if that's the deck you're looking to improve your percentages against.

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Greetings All!

I would like to give a shout out to Sith (aka Dragonslayer_90) for his run at the SCG IQ at the Columbus PTQ this past weekend. Nice work qualifying for the Invi. I encouraged him to play BUG Delver over Shardless. I think the percentages you gain against midrange and control with Shardless are both a smaller percentage of the field and of a lesser magnitude than the gains you get playing BUG Delver versus most of the combo and faster decks. Anyway after a bit of a break from playing competitive Magic... I had some weird summer work scheduling, vacation, and some travelling for judging, I played in this week's Legacy event at my LGS. I played a slightly modified version of Rich Shay's BUG Delver list which is a bit more midrangey than the typical BUG list. Here is what I ran for reference.

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Daze
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Dimir Charm
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Mizzium Skin
    2 Disfigure
    1 Null Rod
    1 Gilded Drake
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Submerge

We only had 8 players this week. I played Feline running High Tide in round one, lost (1-2). I faced Dan piloting G/U 12 Post in round two, winning (2-0). Round three my opponent was Paul playing Goblins, winning (2-1). I ended third overall. Overall takeaways... the maindeck seemed very powerful although possibly a touch week to fast aggro one-drops (due to no maindeck Disfigure). In hindsight I slanted my sideboard for the Show and Tell combo decks but ended up being a bit soft to combo decks such as High Tide and Storm. I will hone the board a bit over the next few weeks for my LGS meta. I think that probably means cutting the SB Mizzium Skin and the Gilded Drake as they are fairly narrow in favor of either a pair or 1/1 split of Spell Pierce and/or Flusterstorm. Thanks for reading! Hit me up with any questions or comments!
    Last edited by Sturtzilla; 08-15-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    Greetings All!

I would like to give a shout out to Sith (aka Dragonslayer_90) for his run at the SCG IQ at the Columbus PTQ this past weekend. Nice work qualifying for the Invi. I encouraged him to play BUG Delver over Shardless. I think the percentages you gain against midrange and control with Shardless are both a smaller percentage of the field and of a lesser magnitude than the gains you get playing BUG Delver versus most of the combo and faster decks. Anyway after a bit of a break from playing competitive Magic... I had some weird summer work scheduling, vacation, and some travelling for judging, I played in this week's Legacy event at my LGS. I played a slightly modified version of Rich Shay's BUG Delver list which is a bit more midrangey than the typical BUG list. Here is what I ran for reference.

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Daze
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Dimir Charm
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Force of Will
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Mizzium Skin
    2 Disfigure
    1 Null Rod
    1 Gilded Drake
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Submerge

We only had 8 players this week. I played Feline running High Tide in round one, lost (1-2). I faced Dan piloting G/U 12 Post in round two, winning (2-0). Round three my opponent was Paul playing Goblins, winning (2-1). I ended third overall. Overall takeaways... the maindeck seemed very powerful although possibly a touch week to fast aggro one-drops (due to no maindeck Disfigure). In hindsight I slanted my sideboard for the Show and Tell combo decks but ended up being a bit soft to combo decks such as High Tide and Storm. I will hone the board a bit over the next few weeks for my LGS meta. I think that probably means cutting the SB Mizzium Skin and the Gilded Drake as they are fairly narrow in favor of either a pair or 1/1 split of Spell Pierce and/or Flusterstorm. Thanks for reading! Hit me up with any questions or comments!
    Rich Shay is a smart dude, no doubt. I have a lot of respect for his deckbuilding skill in Vintage. However, Jace is not good in this deck, get that garbage out of here. You don't want to cast him when you're ahead, and he's not as good as Lili at coming back from behind. 3 Ponder is ridiculous, it's one of the best cards in the deck. Dimir Charm is fine, but requires a meta with more Miracles and combo than Stoneforge and Elves - Disfigure is good to necessary in those matchups. I just don't think that's where we're at in the meta. Also nice double-Trop, quad Hymn manabase.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

I've run this twice at the local shop (10 to 16 people draws) and have not had the consistency with it that I like out of a Tempo list. It's partly the meta at my shop which features one and sometimes two D&T players plus a couple of guys playing RUG and Burn but the real problem is a very good player who is playing BUG control and just tops me if the game goes longer than 5 turns. He sides in 2x Obstinate Baloth for game 2 and after I side the hymns out the list just feels underpowered against him. I leave Lili in most of the time but her primary purpose is just an expensive sorcery speed edict until I see a Baloth on the board and one in the graveyard. If I leave the hymns in and he drops a baloth on turn 2 that's basically enough to do me unless I'm holding Lili or the Diabolic Edict from the sideboard and a Force to back them up.

I'm also having real draw problems with only 20 lands in the list. I know that the cantrips should resolve that but they've been iffy and they really don't help in the no-land draws. In the 1-land draws they either smooth things out or leave me feeling like a fool for keeping a 1-lander.

The list plays a lot of tight games in the meta I described above but it is an overall loser after round 1 when I wind up matched up like clockwork against D&T, Burn, RUG or the BUG Control.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    I would never keep that if I knew my opponent is on ANT. I'd classify ANT as a Turn 3, maybe a Turn 2.5 deck or so. That already tells you you need to have pressure and disruption in your opener to have a prayer. You have the pressure down pat, but with that hand you're essentially going in blind against someone who will pretty much just kill you T3 and could rip T1/T2 nut draws - and know you're cold thanks to Gitaxian Probe.

Furthermore, consider what that Brainstorm could find you. Assuming you want to deploy a T1 threat - preferably Delver in this matchup - you're going to be playing both of your blue cards. You'd need to draw 2 blue to have a live Force. Daze just isn't enough. Banking on a T3 Hymn or Liliana sounds suspect as hell to me. They're strong, but not alone. If you start with DRS, you have Delver to pitch to FoW and 2 mana to deploy a drawn Hymn or Goyf. Problem is, that's still pretty lacking in pressure though probably better than the first line. But if the Brainstorm doesn't draw gas, you're screwed. Consider: T1 you DRS, T1 they Duress. You might just as well pick up your cards.

tl;dr: Ship it. Just ship it.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroControl View Post
    The list plays a lot of tight games in the meta I described above but it is an overall loser after round 1 when I wind up matched up like clockwork against D&T, Burn, RUG or the BUG Control.
    D&T, Burn and BUG control I can believe are unfavoured, but RUG should be a favourable matchup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    D&T, Burn and BUG control I can believe are unfavoured, but RUG should be a favourable matchup.
    On the play I'll beat him fairly often. On the draw I wind up with tight games that are losses much of the time. Nimble Mongoose is very hard to deal with if I don't have a Golgari Charm in hand in the first couple of turns. His bolts and forked bolts handle both delver and DRS. He plays goyf with burn so my goyfs are at a disadvantage. I think the matchup is fairly even overall and unpromising if I lose the die roll. Having just 20 land in the list with 8 fetches kind of plays into RUG's gameplan. It's not foolproof for him but finding myself playing off of 1-land on turn 3 is a not uncommon occurrence.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

On the play I'll beat him fairly often. On the draw I wind up with tight games that are losses much of the time. Nimble Mongoose is very hard to deal with if I don't have a Golgari Charm in hand in the first couple of turns. His bolts and forked bolts handle both delver and DRS. He plays goyf with burn so my goyfs are at a disadvantage. I think the matchup is fairly even overall and unpromising if I lose the die roll. Having just 20 land in the list with 8 fetches kind of plays into RUG's gameplan. It's not foolproof for him but finding myself playing off of 1-land on turn 3 is a not uncommon occurrence.
    This is why I don't think the RUG matchup is partiularly good. Stifle is huge in the matchup and Abrupt Decay costing 2 mana is a significant detriment here.

I'm not really a fan of a Golgari Charm vs RUG. Yes, it can kill a unthreshed Mongoose, but those aren't the ones we have to worry about. As a mid/late game draw, it's pretty bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    This is why I don't think the RUG matchup is partiularly good. Stifle is huge in the matchup and Abrupt Decay costing 2 mana is a significant detriment here.

I'm not really a fan of a Golgari Charm vs RUG. Yes, it can kill a unthreshed Mongoose, but those aren't the ones we have to worry about. As a mid/late game draw, it's pretty bad IMO.
    I MD 1 Golgari Charm and I actually side in a second for the matchup, particularly on the play. RUG does not play DRS and Golgari Charm kills an unflipped delver and an unthreshed mongoose. It kills a goyf after a collision with another goyf and a bolt to mine (unless neither creature not instant were already in the GY at the time of the collision, which is almost an impossibility in this matchup). Late game it can save a DRS from a top decked bolt or forked bolt.

I guess my record against RUG, which basically has followed the die rolls argues that I could find a better card to play after SBing but I'm not sure what this is.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I MD 1 Golgari Charm and I actually side in a second for the matchup, particularly on the play. RUG does not play DRS and Golgari Charm kills an unflipped delver and an unthreshed mongoose. It kills a goyf after a collision with another goyf and a bolt to mine (unless neither creature not instant were already in the GY at the time of the collision, which is almost an impossibility in this matchup). Late game it can save a DRS from a top decked bolt or forked bolt.

I guess my record against RUG, which basically has followed the die rolls argues that I could find a better card to play after SBing but I'm not sure what this is.
    You guys should ask dragonslayer his record when we were practicing with me on RUG

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

I do play a Liliana-heavy build so that may be why I don't feel that troubled by Mongeese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

As someone who plays mostly BUG Control, I think my match against BUG Delver is somewhere between even (with the stock list) to unfavorable (with the Shay list). The fact that your threat density is higher than ours is usually what wins it - things usually end up in a topdeck war after I've answered the Delver player's early threats, and the fact that my answers need to line up with the nature of the threat is usually what turns things against the Control list. Shay's build with Jace makes stabilizing after killing 2-3 creatures even harder because now you have free Brainstorms to exploit your higher threat density in addition to your already higher quality of manipulation and draw.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    As someone who plays mostly BUG Control, I think my match against BUG Delver is somewhere between even (with the stock list) to unfavorable (with the Shay list). The fact that your threat density is higher than ours is usually what wins it - things usually end up in a topdeck war after I've answered the Delver player's early threats, and the fact that my answers need to line up with the nature of the threat is usually what turns things against the Control list. Shay's build with Jace makes stabilizing after killing 2-3 creatures even harder because now you have free Brainstorms to exploit your higher threat density in addition to your already higher quality of manipulation and draw.
    The BUG Control list I am seeing is a bit unusual. It is designed to top delver lists and also compete with Miracles. I'm not going to give away his main tech but basically he forces me to tune out discard and then he has a lot of 2-for-1's against me which leave me with 3 cards in hand in the midgame to his 5, which is usually enough to do me. He is not less threat dense than BUG Delver. He's just more willing to wait until later to drop assets. That gives him a top position over delver at this point.

So I played in a 75 man tournament yesterday at Squabbles aka MTGFirst.com in Glen Burnie. I placed 4th. Here is the list I ran:

4 x Delver
    4 x Goyf
    4 x Deathrite
    2 x Tombstalker

4 x Hymn
    4 x Ponder
    4 x Brainstorm
    4 x FOW
    4 x Daze
    4 x Abrupt Decay
    2 x Liliana

4 x Sea
    2 x Bayou
    1 x Trop
    4 x Verdant C
    3 x Delta
    2 x Misty
    4 x Wasteland

SB

2 x Clique
    2 x Spell Pierce
    3 x Disfigure
    2 x Grafdiggers
    2 x Golgari Charm
    1 x Sylvan Lib
    1 x Krosan Grip
    1 x Toxic Deluge
    1 x Null Rod

It was 7 rounds of swiss with a cut to top 8:

Rd 1 - Mirror
    G1 - I get out two delvers quick and miss for two turns while he lays down a goyf. The third time they would have flipped I am too hasty at the helm and draw my card. He adds bob to the party. Finally both flip. We trade blows for a little bit. I get him down to 4 before I die, the same 4 that would have come had I not missed the 4th turn flip. That's what I get for being away for 6 months.
    Out - 4 FOW
    In - 3 Disfigures, 1 Library
    G2 - I get delver, deathrite, and goyf out quick and he doesn't recover
    Out - 4 Daze
    In - 4 FOW
    G3 - I die to more goys and removal
    (0-1)

Rd 2 - Lands
    Funny enough I played a test game against this guy a week prior at another game store, we played a regular match where I won
    G1 - I get an early delver and deathrite and remove all hope at loam, luckily no p.fire
    Out - 4 Daze
    In - 2 Pierce, 1 lib, 1 Null rod
    G2 - Turns out to a lot like game 1 except he managed to get an intuition off for 3 p.fires, but by that time he was starring down a goyf and 2 deathrites. He nuked one, but was already at such low life he died to the next attack
    (1-1)

Rd 3 - Miracles
    G1 - I took over with delver goyf beats, he was land light and I managed to counter his terminus
    Out - 2 Tomb, 4 Decay (No next level here, if he leaves in balance oh well or Im just bad lol)
    In - 2 Clique, 2 Pierce, 1 Rod, 1 Lib
    G2 - Delver and deathrite went the distance thwarting off STP and I forced his miracle angle maker
    (2-1)

Rd 4 - 12 Post
    I had never played against this nor did I know the cards in the deck
    G1 - I beat him down with creatures keeping him off double post with wastelands
    Out - 4 Daze, 4 Decay
    In - 2 clique, 1 rod, 2 cage, 2 pierce, 1 Lib
    G2 - An early Cage and rod shut down his hand and his top. Goyf and delvers went the distance
    (3-1)

Rd 5 - Miracles
    G1 - Can't remember this game that much, but I don't think he was getting good draws and goyf went the distance
    Out - 2 Tomb, 4 Decay
    In - 2 Clique, 2 Pierce, 1 Rod, 1 Lib
    G2 - I believe this game went like the first game
    (4-1)

Rd 6 - Shardless Bug
    G1 - We traded removal back and fourth against delvers I had 3 DR's to his 1 and strix until his goyf joined the party. At the end he was 7 and I was at 8, but he didn't have enough to deal the final blow, I DR him out.
    Out - 4 daze
    In - 3 Disfigure, 1 Lib
    G2 - I got land locked to 1 land and he capitalized
    Out - 4 FOW
    In 4 daze
    G3 - This match went all my way with early disfigure and library. I was able to jump way ahead and he couldn't recover.

Rd 7 - ID

Top 8 Rd 1 - 12 Post
    G1 - He is never really in and my early flipped delver goes the distance
    Out - 4 Daze, 4 Decay
    In - 2 clique, 1 rod, 2 cage, 2 pierce, 1 Lib
    G2 - Another early delver and a DR close it out with a waste to take him down to 1 post

Top 8 Rd 2 - Thopter Bant
    This was against Bob Huang. The games were close, but it seems like I never had enough for the last blow
    G1 - I take out an early thopter, but some STP's take out my goyf and delver. I take him down to 4 before batterskull joins the party.
    SB - can't remember what I sideboarded
    G2 - Went close as well, but a much needed null rod didn't show when it needed and he got thopter sword of meek out when at 6 to an active goyf and DR. It pulled him out of death range

All in all a great tournament and not bad to trade $40 for 4 trops.

@nditiz1: Good job on the excellent finish.

In response to the discussion of the RUG matchup: Kobebryan, you know I just run hot a lot when we test. Don't take those sessions as definitive samples lol In all seriousness though, I think this is just one of those very die roll and draw dependent MUs. Assuming that neither side gets too lucky or unlucky and both pilots of are of similar skill I think that it's pretty even, with the deciding factor being a combination of the die roll and draw of each deck. Remember guys, in playing this deck we sacrifice some efficiency in creating tempo for more flexibility, better late game, and a better ability to come back from behind. RUG is still the purest tempo deck out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Thread Information