Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Zirilan of the Claw - Dragons!

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

[EDH] Zirilan of the Claw - Dragons!

Commander:
    Zirilan of the Claw

Lands:
    26x Snow-Covered Mountain
    1x Strip Mine
    1x Smoldering Crater
    1x Spinerock Knoll
    1x Miren, the Moaning Well
    1x Arena
    1x Temple of the False God
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Scrying Sheets
    1x Kher Keep
    1x Keldon Necropolis
    1x Forgotten Cave
    1x Safe Haven
    1x High Market
    1x Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Dragons:
    1x Thunder Dragon
    1x Mordant Dragon
    1x Draco
    1x Dragon Tyrant
    1x Thundermaw Hellkite
    1x Hoard-Smelter Dragon
    1x Spawn of Thraxes
    1x Furyborn Hellkite
    1x Rimescale Dragon
    1x Forgestoker Dragon
    1x Balefire Dragon
    1x Hellkite Charger
    1x Dragon Mage
    1x Hoarding Dragon
    1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
    1x Scourge of Valkas
    1x Flameblast Dragon
    1x Steel Hellkite
    1x Moonveil Dragon
    1x Mana-Charged Dragon
    1x Scourge of Kher Ridges
    1x Hellkite Tyrant
    1x Kilnmouth Dragon
    1x Bogardan Hellkite
    1x Ancient Hellkite
    1x Utvara Hellkite
    1x Scourge of the Throne
    1x Siege Dragon
    1x Nalathni Dragon

Other Creatures:
    1x Magus of the Arena
    1x Dragonspeaker Shaman
    1x Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1x Shard Phoenix
    1x Artisan of Kozilek
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1x Feldon of the Third Path

Ramp:
    1x Mind Stone
    1x Thran Dynamo
    1x Everflowing Chalice
    1x Mana Vault
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Expedition Map
    1x Ruby Medallion
    1x Urza's Incubator

Card Advantage:
    1x Culling Dais
    1x Temple Bell
    1x Sensei's Divining Top
    1x Skullclamp
    1x Howling Mine

Other Stuff:
    1x Dragon Roost
    1x Fervor
    1x Chaos Warp
    1x Lightning Greaves
    1x Champion's Helm
    1x Gamble
    1x Chandra Ablaze
    1x Insurrection
    1x Crucible of Fire
    1x Sundial of the Infinite

Q: What does this deck do?
    A: It kills people with dragons.

General Strategy:

The main plan is to get Zirilan online and start tutoring up dragons to bash peoples' faces with. The cool thing about the deck is that most of the dragons are very utility based in that they will normally serve more than one purpose before they get exiled, be it sweeping the board or taking out that nasty permanent that your opponent has on the field over there. You can also just cast dragons and turn them sideways more than once as well and I've had a Turn 2 Hellkite Charger before. When I play, I usually adjust my playstyle to the game. This deck is so flexible that if people are playing slow, I can play slow, but if people are playing fast, I can more than hold my own. There are few things that this deck doesn't have answers to.

Other notes:

Many of the cards included in the deck are there to do things with the dragons before Zirilan's end of turn trigger. These cards are:

Miren, the Moaning Well
    Keldon Necropolis
    Arena
    Safe Haven
    High Market
    Magus of the Arena
    Culling Dais
    Sundial of the Infinite

Archwing Dragon is also sort of in this list as he can save himself by going back to your hand. I usually like to grab him before I go grab Kilnmouth Dragon to make the amplify slightly bigger.

Squee, Goblin Nabob, Hammer of Bogardan, and Shard Phoenix are great to discard to Chandra Ablaze and, if you get lucky, Gamble. They are also great against opposing discard as well.

Draco is the card with the highest CMC in the game and Nalathni Dragon was never printed in a set (I believe it was only given away at DragonCon). They are in the deck for the lulz and I love finishing people off with one of these two (If not both because, you know, Banding).

Update (11/5/14):
    Out: Rage Reflection, Archwing Dragon, Two-Headed Dragon, Inferno Titan
    In: Thundermaw Hellkite, Spawn of Thraxes, Siege Dragon, Scourge of the Throne

Update (11/11/14):
    Out: Hammer of Bogardan
    In: Feldon of the Third Path
    Last edited by Zupponn; 08-15-2015 at 06:52 PM.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: [EDH] Zirilan of the Claw - Dragons!

This deck gives an entirely new meaning to elder dragon highlander.

No love for Knollspine Dragon?

Sep 2011

Needs more Death by Dragons. Yes, the card is bad, but just for the flavour, since your deck is basically 'death by dragons'.

Also Dragon Breath? It basically automatically attaches itself to every searched up dragon to give it a bonus of firebreathing, then goes back to your GY for the next one to come up. Or if you hardcast one, it gets haste and firebreathing. Seems good.

Another great Dragon for multiplayer is Taurean Mauler. It's also my favorite Mana Birds.

I'm guessing you don't want to run the usual monoR EDH cards to avoid pissing off your playgroup?
    (
    Blood Moon
    Magus of the Moon
    Stranglehold
    Price of Glory
    Ruination
    ...)

But what about non-hate cards like Gauntlet of Might, Wheel of Fortune?

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    This deck gives an entirely new meaning to elder dragon highlander.
    Yes it does. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    No love for Knollspine Dragon?
    I had Knollspine in the deck for a while, but I didn't really get to draw cards off of him too often. Sure, he's great when an opponent smacks another opponent, but I didn't like passing the turn without smacking someone myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Needs more Death by Dragons. Yes, the card is bad, but just for the flavour, since your deck is basically 'death by dragons'.
    Maybe. I really didn't have that much luck when casting it since it slows down my Zirilan tutor plan.
    Also Dragon Breath? It basically automatically attaches itself to every searched up dragon to give it a bonus of firebreathing, then goes back to your GY for the next one to come up. Or if you hardcast one, it gets haste and firebreathing. Seems good.
    I could get behind Dragon Breath. I'll have to test it out first.
    Another great Dragon for multiplayer is Taurean Mauler. It's also my favorite Mana Birds.
    Mauler is really good, but fails to be useful in multiple ways like most of my other dragons. He's also worse than Nalathni Dragon when tutoring with Zirilan.
    I'm guessing you don't want to run the usual monoR EDH cards to avoid pissing off your playgroup?
    (
    Blood Moon
    Magus of the Moon
    Stranglehold
    Price of Glory
    Ruination
    ...)
    Yep. You nailed it right on the head there. I'm going for "good" but not "dickish".
    But what about non-hate cards like Gauntlet of Might, Wheel of Fortune?
    Those are two cards that I'd be willing to try out, but don't own at the moment. I could see them both fitting in the deck fairly well. Gauntlet seems better than Wheel to me right now.

I can get behind any use for Sundial of the Infinite, and I love commanders that tutor. This one doesn't seem quite as busted as the others (Arcum/Sisay/Zur etc) because it's mono-red and only searches for dragons so it isn't super threatening even if you optimize the list.

Some more suggestions:
    - Thornbite Staff: Zirilan is a Shaman so you get a free attach. You can do stuff like activate Zirilan to find Bogardan Hellkite to kill something, untapping Zirilan and letting you search again.
    - There are tons of other double-search effects (Illusionists Bracers, Magewright's Stone, Rings of Brighthearth etc). You probably don't want to play all of them but having multiple dragons is always good especially with stuff like Utvara Hellkite and Scourge of Valkas.

Speaking of this, don't forget that you can activate Zirilan on your opponents end step and then activate it again in your turn to have 2 dragons at once (albeit temporarily). You can end of turn search for Balefire Dragon and then untap, attack with it and wipe their board, then post combat activate Zirilan for Knollspine Dragon to draw some cards. (Don't play Price of Glory haha)

I like the new Scourge of the Throne as Hellkite Charger 2.0. With the play described above you can EOT get Scourge and then untap and get Dragon Tyrant. Assuming you don't have the most life that's 36 damage + potentially a second dethrone trigger + 4 damage per red mana you have left over, seems like you could easily kill someone out of nowhere. Another dragon I think is worth including is Thundermaw Hellkite for the "Tap down your blockers" mode but I think you have all the other good ones already.

EDIT: I just realised you aren't playing Worldgorger which is a pretty tricky card, with the eot-search wombo it lets you keep a dragon permanently, kind of neat. It also lets you hyper-cheese people by tutoring for it and then casting Jokulhaups/Obliterate afterwards but if you aren't into those kinds of cards that's cool. (Although if you have Zirilan untapped you can also search for it in response to your opponent's Jokulhaups/Wrath of God for instant hilarity)

Nykthos seems great here and so does Cavern of Souls.

I would probably put Koth in this deck but some metas are more hostile to planeswalkers

You could also make use of ways to cheat in Dragons from your hand, such as Quicksilver Amulet or Sneak Attack

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

This looks a lot like the Rorix Bladewing deck I've been wanting to smash together for a while :P not because it's good, because it's Rorix haha

Is Brass Herald worth a look as a potential draw spell? I don't really care about the anthem effect, though bigger == better because dragons.

It might cost too much, but ah... Dragonstorm? It's over the top for sure, but it says Dragon right on the card, so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    This looks a lot like the Rorix Bladewing deck I've been wanting to smash together for a while :P not because it's good, because it's Rorix haha

Is Brass Herald worth a look as a potential draw spell? I don't really care about the anthem effect, though bigger == better because dragons.

It might cost too much, but ah... Dragonstorm? It's over the top for sure, but it says Dragon right on the card, so.
    I wouldn't play Brass Herald here because you want your dragons in your library and not in your hand (although your Rorix build might be different).

Dragonstorm is a reasonable (and super fun) suggestion but you have to consider
    a) How are you getting the mana to cast it (probably not that hard with Nykthos/Gauntlet of Power)
    b) How are you casting a few cheap spells earlier in the turn (Seems difficult unless you skew your deck or you just stacked your hand with a Knollspine trigger)

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I haven't really looked at this thread since my last post in it months ago. I've made some minor changes since then and updated the OP with those changes.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I can get behind any use for Sundial of the Infinite, and I love commanders that tutor. This one doesn't seem quite as busted as the others (Arcum/Sisay/Zur etc) because it's mono-red and only searches for dragons so it isn't super threatening even if you optimize the list.
    Oh, it can be super threatening when Sundial gets the stupidity of Utvara Hellkite and Scourge of Valkas out, but it doesn't make the game unfun like Zur and Uril do.
    Some more suggestions:
    - Thornbite Staff: Zirilan is a Shaman so you get a free attach. You can do stuff like activate Zirilan to find Bogardan Hellkite to kill something, untapping Zirilan and letting you search again.
    - There are tons of other double-search effects (Illusionists Bracers, Magewright's Stone, Rings of Brighthearth etc). You probably don't want to play all of them but having multiple dragons is always good especially with stuff like Utvara Hellkite and Scourge of Valkas.
    Those are all good suggestions. I'll have to see if they fit in the deck anywhere.
    Speaking of this, don't forget that you can activate Zirilan on your opponents end step and then activate it again in your turn to have 2 dragons at once (albeit temporarily). You can end of turn search for Balefire Dragon and then untap, attack with it and wipe their board, then post combat activate Zirilan for Knollspine Dragon to draw some cards. (Don't play Price of Glory haha)
    This might give me reason to put Knollspine back in, but like I said earlier, I usually end up searching and bashing every turn when I play the deck. Zirilan rarely finds himself untapped on other players' turns.
    I like the new Scourge of the Throne as Hellkite Charger 2.0. With the play described above you can EOT get Scourge and then untap and get Dragon Tyrant. Assuming you don't have the most life that's 36 damage + potentially a second dethrone trigger + 4 damage per red mana you have left over, seems like you could easily kill someone out of nowhere. Another dragon I think is worth including is Thundermaw Hellkite for the "Tap down your blockers" mode but I think you have all the other good ones already.
    Both Scourge and Thundermaw have been added since I last looked at this thread.
    EDIT: I just realised you aren't playing Worldgorger which is a pretty tricky card, with the eot-search wombo it lets you keep a dragon permanently, kind of neat. It also lets you hyper-cheese people by tutoring for it and then casting Jokulhaups/Obliterate afterwards but if you aren't into those kinds of cards that's cool. (Although if you have Zirilan untapped you can also search for it in response to your opponent's Jokulhaups/Wrath of God for instant hilarity)
    I guess I never really thought about Worldgorger Dragon in this deck for some reason. I'm thinking that he needs to be in the deck now.
    Nykthos seems great here and so does Cavern of Souls.
    I rarely have enough devotion to make Nykthos worth it. Cavern on the other hand might be worth looking into.
    I would probably put Koth in this deck but some metas are more hostile to planeswalkers
    The problem I ran into was that Koth really doesn't do anything in this deck outside of making 4/4 attackers.
    You could also make use of ways to cheat in Dragons from your hand, such as Quicksilver Amulet or Sneak Attack
    Maybe. They're cool and all, but I think that these cards might push me in a different direction than I want to go with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post

kombatkiwi pretty much nailed it on the head about these two cards. If I could run Dragonstorm in this deck, I totally would.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I don't get what Sundial does with the two named dragons...
    Oh, I know now, it's just that the two are amazing with Zirilliailian. Got it.
    amazing deck, btw.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Glad you liked it!

Nov 2014
    Antipolo City, Philippines

Hi.. I've been looking for a dedicated page for fellow Zirilan pilots out there and I'm glad I found your thread . I'm hoping to get feedback with my current deck list below:

Commander:

Creatures: 21

Hellkite Tyrant
    Ryusei, the Falling Star
    Kilnmouth Dragon
    Bogardan Hellkite
    Steel Hellkite
    Worldgorger Dragon
    Shivan Hellkite
    Stormbreath Dragon
    Scourge of Kher Ridges
    Balefire Dragon
    Scourge of the Throne
    Utvara Hellkite
    Dragon Tyrant
    Tyrant's Familiar (Commander 2014 update)
    Dragon Mage
    Thundermaw Hellkite
    Hoard-Smelter Dragon
    Scourge of Valkas
    Thunder Dragon
    Spawn of Thraxes
    Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Instants/Sorceries: 12

Obliterate
    Jokulhaups
    Blasphemous Act
    Starstorm
    Vandalblast
    Incendiary Command
    Reforge the Soul
    Mizzium Mortars
    Fissure
    Aftershock
    Through the Breach (current replacement for Sneak Attack, still saving up )
    Chaos Warp

Planeswalkers: 5

Koth of the Hammer
    Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker (Khans of Tarkir update, within flavor and additional spot removal )
    Karn Liberated
    Chandra Nalaar
    Daretti, Scrap Savant (Commander 2014 update)

Artifact ramp and support: 24

Wayfarer's Bauble
    Expedition Map
    Everflowing Chalice
    Sol Ring
    Mana Vault
    Mind Stone
    Fire Diamond
    Worn Powerstone
    Basalt Monolith
    Coalition Relic
    Unstable Obelisk (Commander 2014 update)
    Thran Dynamo
    Gilded Lotus
    Gauntlet of Power
    Caged Sun

Rings of Brighthearth
    Elixir of Immortality
    Tel-Jihad Stylus
    Lightning Grieves
    Sundial of the Infinite
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Quicksilver Amulet
    Conjurer's Closet
    Scroll Rack

Lands: 37

29 Snow-covered Mountains
    Scrying Sheets
    Darksteel Citadel
    Buried Ruin
    Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    Thespian's Stage
    Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
    Hall of the Bandit Lord
    Flamekin Village (Commander 2014 update)

I started using this deck just this year - just a month before the Conspiracy set was released. I collect dragons and owned the actual Zirilan card way back in 2011 - the year when I started with the Commander format. At that time my commander was Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund with Zirilan mainboard. I was not convinced to try out Zirilan at that time mainly because of the exile clause with his ability.. also I thought there were not enough Dragons at that time to fill the creature slot to make a decent mono-Red deck. However since then WotC printed Dragon cards like Utvara Hellkite, Scourge of Valkas, and my one-shot-kill-engine Scourge of the Throne.. all of which have great synergy with each other. I also realized that Zirilan's oracle text was updated which means I may ideally have up to 2 dragons during my turn. Since then, I shelved my Kaalia of the Vast deck and made this as my signature multiplayer deck with my playgroup.

I like this deck a lot because I get to see my collection "in action" It is not OP compared with other tutor-type commanders out there.. plus I love the challenge of using a mono-Red deck with this format.

Your comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated

PS: Pardon me. This is my first post after a created my profile.. so I don't have my signature yet as well as other stuff (complete profile, avatar etc.). I'm still trying to learn the posting tools available Peace!

Jul 2011
    under a dead Ohio sky

Ive been playing Zirilan for a few years now.
    It's terrible against fast decks and I always start building a new commander deck, but I started playing commander so I could play dragons, and I go right back.
    I only run dragons that do things upon entering and leaving, so they are all tools to use with Zirilan, also Erratic Portal is pretty fun with him, and Voltic Key lets you ramp even more with all the artifact mama ramps.
    The best bang since the big one!

About a year and a half ago, I had the good fortune of acquiring the original painting of Zirilan of the Claw. The idea of literally owning my General was far too baller for me to pass up. Once in my possession, I immediately made it my mission to get as much use out of the Legendary Viashino Shaman as humanly possible. To that end, I constructed a myriad of different builds, ranging from kitchen table level to big event pod dream crusher. As I don't have the physical lists directly on me atm, I can't post them in their entirety. If anyone would like me to, I can show some of the better synergies I've come across. I really love the fact that this card inspires such passion from the people that choose to rock him, and will continue to do what I can to help spread the word.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

It's cool that Zirilan players are coming out of the woodwork. He's such an awesome General.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Phreshdawg View Post
    If anyone would like me to, I can show some of the better synergies I've come across.
    Please!

Some cool interactions, in no particular order:

Moltensteel + Fling/Scourge of the Throne do a pretty good Hatred approximation. Rupture works too, if beig suicidal is your kind of thing.
    Moltensteel + Knollspine Dragon/Dragon Tyrant functions as a poor man's Necro.
    Utvara Hellkite + Scourge of Valkas is pretty self explanatory.
    Hellkite Tyrant/Hoard-Smelter + Mycosynth Lattice/Liquimetal Coating can do some bad things together.

I've found Worldgorger and Changeling Berserker to be two of my favorites. I also tend to go all out with mass removal in my competitive builds. Nothing like blowing up the world and keeping all of your stuff. I get a lot of mileage out of SDT and Scroll Rack, as leaving the dragons in the library is usually desirable. A cool card for a more casual group game is Glacial Crevasses.

That's about it for now. I'm sure I'll remember some other cards a some point. Hope this helped.

Re: [EDH] Zirilan of the Claw - PIMP ZIRILAN DECKS!

I love Zirilan. It's my only EDH deck, and I've played it since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreshdawg View Post
    About a year and a half ago, I had the good fortune of acquiring the original painting of Zirilan of the Claw. The idea of literally owning my General was far too baller for me to pass up. Once in my possession, I immediately made it my mission to get as much use out of the Legendary Viashino Shaman as humanly possible. To that end, I constructed a myriad of different builds, ranging from kitchen table level to big event pod dream crusher. As I don't have the physical lists directly on me atm, I can't post them in their entirety. If anyone would like me to, I can show some of the better synergies I've come across. I really love the fact that this card inspires such passion from the people that choose to rock him, and will continue to do what I can to help spread the word.
    I recall seeing the artwork for sale and wishing I could afford it. It's great to hear that you appreciate it so fully. You should post a pic of the artwork together with your current decklist here... we can turn this into the PIMP ZIRILAN DECKS thread. I can't imagine a more pimped out Zirilan deck than the one with the original artwork.

---

To that end, here is my contribution. This is my Zirilan deck circa February 2011 - fully pimped out with Alphas, Betas, reserve list staples, and Arabian Nights Mountains. After assembling the deck, I decided I don't need a $2000+ pile of cardboard to play a casual format in which proxies are widely accepted. Much of what appears below has been sold and replaced with a more budget friendly version.

Special Dragons:

Old Dragons:

Modern Dragons:

Beta Artifacts:

Old Artifacts:

Modern Artifacts:

Beta Red Spells:

Old Red Spells:

Utility Lands:

Arabian Nights Mountains:

Burning Wish Targets:

Let's see some more pimp Zirilan decks!

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Seems like you could use a few better support spell options, and to smooth out the deck and curve. Here's some ideas:

Armillary Sphere
    Journeyer's Kite
    Solemn Simulacrum
    ...great CA and ramp, not missing a land drop is pretty crucial.

Wheel of Fortune
    Goblin Bombardment
    Reitterate
    Shattering Pulse
    Fire Imp
    Flametongue Kavu
    Duplicant
    Erratic Portal
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Jackass View Post
    Seems like you could use a few better support spell options, and to smooth out the deck and curve. Here's some ideas:

Armillary Sphere
    Journeyer's Kite
    Solemn Simulacrum
    ...great CA and ramp, not missing a land drop is pretty crucial.
    I don't like any of these cards in the deck. Both Sphere and Kite feel pretty meh to me and Simulacrum, while a great card, just doesn't fit into the deck well at all.
    These cards are all really unnecessary with all the dragons that pretty much do these exact same things. There's this rule I have: If it's not a dragon, then it has to be pretty damn gamebreaking or synergistic in order for it to be considered.

Jul 2011
    under a dead Ohio sky

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    There's this rule I have: If it's not a dragon, then it has to be pretty damn gamebreaking or synergistic in order for it to be considered.
    Erratic Portal is pretty unfair with Zirilian. especially with the Dragons that have come into play triggered abilities.
    The best bang since the big one!

Thread Information